Giant Food

Giant Food Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Giant Food President Anthony Hucker

Anthony Hucker

Pros
  • Pay is good for the type of work done (in 6 reviews)

• 3rd tier contract with above average pay and benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management uses fear and intimidation with general managers (in 10 reviews)

• Very poor work life balance and no respect for days off by upper management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

my job experience has been okay.

Cashier (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Prosmy job is close to home.

Consthey make you stay at work without asking you

Advice to Senior Managementif you want all the yellow shirts to obey by the rules you all have to also and treat us with respect

Since Ahold took over company has been slowly going downhill

Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsYou have some protection with the union, negotiated short term contract

ConsUpper management loves to micro manage and it is difficult to get daily things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge employees when they continually go above and beyond

A lot of Problems for the Little Guy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe big pro was my fellow co-workers, especially in my department, we were the workhorses and when you work in a rough environment it makes kind of a brotherhood. Pay was also slightly better than usual

ConsManagement is the key problem in this company. I have noticed it is also true on glassdoor reviews and I myself took a satisfaction survey of my co-workers before leaving (class project). The majority of them are egotistical, have no respect for underlings (especially the young), and do not accept responsibility for problems. In my experience the department manager fully relied on the over worked associate staff and would take most weekends off as well as call out when inspections would come up. Essentially the fruits of our labor he took credit for, while if any mistakes were made it wasn't his fault or he wasn't there. It also doesn't help that the Store Managers rotate around stores and every time you do get a good and understanding one they end up in another store in a week or two. The pay is so-so but honestly the pack mules of the store should get what they deserve and they seem intent on cutting hours at the expense of workers and their store. My department had been understaffed nearly the entire time I was there and yet they monitor and cut hours like that's their first duty. Also that scratch off card system for "good work" and a kind of merit system is more insulting to me than nothing. Oh thanks for breaking your back for us! Here is a scratch off that may or may not have something less than $10 dollars of value that you can use in the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust stop everything you are doing for the most part. We meager associates are people not incompetent children. I have had high schoolers, college students and just young people in general tell me how much big-headed store managers with something to prove act like their employees know nothing despite them being there for a few years. Also, please for the love of god properly staff stores and stop cutting hours, people are on the verge of cracking at times and no one seems to care until they snap or leave. Giant needs a management overall because it has too many bad managers who just don't care. The whole system is corrupted because even the people who address the issue by going to the head store manager don't get most things resolved.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed my experience with my co-workers and managers, i gained hands on experience and skills that became useful.

Diary Stock (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsThe pay checks are weekly instead of bi-weekly so you will always have some type of money. The benefits are good as well they offer a membership to a credit union and many other benefits that can assist you. The hours are up and down so that reflects on your daily pay, if not enough they will work with your schedule if you choose to obtain another part time position else where.

ConsOnly con for this company is the hours cut and not being on the schedule at times.

Unhappy with Giant food

Clerk (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

Pros1.Pay once a week
    2.Some friendly co- workers

Cons1. Poor management. Manager have poor communication with others, and sometime with no respect!! MEAN
    2. No manager take the responsibility. Required a day off is very sample thing in life, but managers pushed me around and gave excuses. From department manager to consumers service manager ,and then to the store manager. They either forgot about the whole thing or refused, and not enough people to work is always the excuse. Horrible!!
    3. Schedule is Not t flexible. Call you whenever they need you, but when you need a day off even you turn in the personal holiday form or talk to the manager in person several weeks ago, they still set you on the schedule to work. SUCK!!
    4. Too much work with no help. One person cover both department at the same time,and consumers get upset all the time.
    5. Not enough people. I worked in Giant about two years, and the manager was saying that they would hire more people to work. Guess What? Never happened.
    6.Been here two years only getting 8.35/hours with no health benefits except associates discount
    7.No training.
    8.No opportunity for switch department.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease put yourself in all the hard workers' shoes and see how it feels to get pushed around or pushed over . Also, learn how to appreciate your hard workers, please.When your workers are not happy, it very hard for them to keep smile with your consumers. Eventually, they would leave, and you might not care since there many people still looking for job. But I am sure that Giant would need all the hard workers who work with their whole-hearted.

Going down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHourly rate once you reach top pay is good for what it is the health benefits is decent the union will look out for you when the company screw you over depending on the situation

ConsCompany is going down hill they constantly hire new people regularly and pay them minimum wage just to save the company money by cutting those that been there years hours

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the favoritism and treat people fairly

Decent Job, Terrible Pay

Service Deli and Dairy (Current Employee)

ProsWorking in the deli managers are not on your back

ConsPay is terrible, almost impossible to get full time.

Poor management

Grocery Clerk (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment, amazing co workers and flexiblilty.

ConsManagement, low pay, boring, not enough time

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up

Great place for high school to college students.

Cashier (Current Employee) Perry Hall, MD

ProsManagement is willing to work with availability.
    Quick to advance in positions.
    Pay is decent for a grocery store.
    Coworkers are genuinely decent people.

ConsExempt managers can be somewhat big headed.
    Union dues are annoying at $11.50/week
    Customer quality has gone down hill with Ahold.
    POS system is antiquated. (4/28/2014 Perry Hall giant is converting to a new system)

Advice to Senior ManagementI think we should go back to the times of customer come before profit and stop outsourcing every perishable department and lining the pockets.

The management team needs to focus on the needs of the employees by making it easy to schedule your time.

Grocery Bagger (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsIts a good 2nd job if you can get the hours you are looking for.

ConsIf you need a day off you wind up not getting hours for the week.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should train their employees for the j ob they were hired to do. I bagged groceries for 3 months while hired as a cashier. I never did learn how to run the cash register.

Worked for Giant Food? Contribute to the Community!