Giant Food Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Giant Food Stores President Rick Herring

Rick Herring

Pros
  • Very flexible hours, working as a cashier is very easy (in 13 reviews)

• Awesome co-workers, above average pay, convenient location, fairly flexible scheduling (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • I've been there for about 7 yrs part time w/o medical benefits (in 12 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to interview for it (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad place to start.

Peapod Associate (Current Employee) Willow Grove, PA

ProsGiant is a company that is expanding, give plenty of training, allows to work and life balance.

ConsManagement doesn't always listen to your ideas, typical corporate retail culture.

The most fulfilling job I have ever had.

HBC Manager (Former Employee) Lusby Crossroads, MD

ProsThe benefits and pay. My fellow employees and Management were like family.

ConsI have no complaints about this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Overall, not bad, but has a couple down falls.

gas clerk (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsPaid vacation, Paid personal days, Plenty of raises, Nice people, Paid training, Plenty of hours given.

ConsWork weekends, customers are terrible, doesn't really take your personal life into consideration. Have to work on holidays

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for.

NIGHT STOCK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) Reading, PA

ProsThey are very flexible with schedule. Offer benefits to part time employees after a short waiting period. Opportunities to move up in company exist.

ConsYou might have to work some nights and weekends, but all in all a good company to work for. Nothing really bad to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great store

Software Developer, Front-End Associate (Former Employee)

ProsIf you're a front end associate (what I did before moving to software) you have a pretty easy job and for the most part the lower level bosses are actually rather nice even in stressful or high customer influx times. Although I didn't have a senior software designer for the managements' software goals they were surprisingly willing to listen and understand how much time programming goals can take, which is a first for me outside of the tech industry. Be nice to others, and (for the most part) they'll be nice to you.

ConsDidn't recieve much compensation for any extra hours for my project, but occaisionally I was asked to help out the front-end associates with bagging and customer service. That's normally fine, but that's not the job that I applied or was payed. The employees had a high turnover rate due to college kids and recent grads being employed as mid-level managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually give an employee discount! The whole "1 penny for every 1 dollar is our profit" is complete gib, and it'd be nice to actually have an incentive to shop at the place I work.

Great first job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Elizabethtown, PA

Proseach department is a little different, supervisors were great, salary was appropriate, biannual raises, time off

Consthose who smoke were entitled to extra breaks

Great company to advance with

Customer Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPlenty of opportunity to advance, great benefits and vacation time, flexible schedule, great people to work with

ConsCan be difficult to get full-time, can be stressful at times to get everything done in allotted time

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a really good company to work for; continue to make it better and don't forget your employees.

Love my job

Cao Lead (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsIf you are a go getter you have a good chance in learning all different jobs with in the store. People and management are nice. Flexible hours

ConsIt may take you a while to get full time status. If you want full time you need to interview for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing at this time. Keep up the good work

Great

Back Up Pricing Coordinator (Current Employee) Springfield, PA

Prosgreat training. always room for advancement. i like working with the other people in my store and other stores. pay is competitive as well from other super markets i have worked at.

Conssomethings asked are silly to do. there are these green flags we are required to hang in every aisle next to every sale item, which i find pointless and they get destroyed and in the way.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

They don't really care about their employees

ProsIf you want to really make a career at Giant, they are willing to move you up slowly. Get an employee discount.

ConsThey don't pay very well. Feel like they don't really care about employees that much. Try to overwork you. Most likely have to work part time because they won't hire you for full time (I think it is because they don't want to have to give you benefits).

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a more fair pay and don't try to bundle up people's job descriptions.

Worked for Giant Food Stores? Contribute to the Community!