Giant Food Stores

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014

Giant Food Stores President Rick Herring
Rick Herring

Pros
  • Very flexible hours, working as a cashier is very easy (in 13 reviews)

• Awesome co-workers, above average pay, convenient location, fairly flexible scheduling (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • I've been there for about 7 yrs part time w/o medical benefits (in 12 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to interview for it (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

good place to work

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Dillsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dillsburg, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very easy job, a lot of fun people to work with. Always willing to work with your schedule and it is easy to pick up shifts from call-offs. Raises offered every six-twelve months with satisfactory work. I was a cashier, but there are a variety of other positions available for those not interested in working directly with customers or computers.

Cons

You might have an opportunity to be cross-trained between departments, but there aren't many other chances to advance within the company unless you get very lucky or have a degree. At the end of my time there people were starting to complain about cut hours, but I just picked up shifts to make up for it.

Pretty Good

Current Employee - Pricing Coordinator  in  Limerick, PA
    Current Employee - Pricing Coordinator in Limerick, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

The work is easy and time goes by fast. Front end offers opportunities to advance and your coworkers and customers are friendly. You can win company competitions for best of and everyone gets a luncheon. They occasionally give away special coupons or discounts throughout the year with your paychecks. You are able to cash your pay check in the store which is convenient if you don't have a bank.

Cons

Some of the stores advancement is more of who you know than how well you work. You do get raises, but they aren't that high and the management has a hard time with communicating with each other.

The only thing that needs improvement is employee recognition. The policy is in place but the follow through needs some improvement. Some managers do take the time to really thank the employee when a customer gives a great compliment or when they see you doing something fantastic, but others don't say anything at all.

cashier

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Pottstown, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Pottstown, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

best think is the weekly pay

Cons

fighting for hours.. one week you'll get 12 then 22 then 30 then 15. hours jump up and down. they dont really help you move up in the company.

show more caring and understanding with employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical job to help through high school and college.

I worked at Giant Food Stores

Pros

Extremely flexible hours that work well with school.

Cons

Pay and vacation aren't great, but manageable.

Try to treat all employees (no matter what status) with kindness and respect.

was a great place to work staff was nice

Former Employee - Stock  in  Hatfield, PA
    Former Employee - Stock in Hatfield, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

pay is good and great health plan

Cons

as far as advancements it not what u know its who u know

Bad employees not punished.

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time

Pros

Most of the work is easy to learn. Most of the jobs aren't difficult. MOST customers are very nice.

Cons

The one's who do the least work never get in trouble for it, while the ones who do the best work are asked to do more and more and more.

Punish bad employees

Cut everything, but do more...

Former Employee - Checkout Coach  in  Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Checkout Coach in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the pro's in quick bullet-points:
    *Great management, although this depends on the store you are in. In 7 years at the company I've been fortunate to have great managers who help me grow as an employee and believed in me. They even let me keep my job when working minimal amounts of hours to stay focused on college. However, I have seen managers come into stores who have HORRIBLE attitudes and turn the whole stores' attitude into a plague.
    *Healthy company overall - always expanding and pays attention (generally) to improving older stores. I helped open a new store and even when the store wasn't making the sales figures they predicted it to, they pledged to never let the store go.
    *Benefits - They offer benefits even if you are part-time. The benefits aren't too great, but if you shop around, you'll generally find a plan you like.
    *Friends - I've said this many times - you'll make tons of new friends working at Giant, whether they be co-workers or managers. If it's not for them and the "family" that you make, I would have left a lot sooner.

Cons

*Compensation - Pay is on-par with other non-union grocery chains, but is horribly low. As a part-time supervisor in charge of 20 to 30 employees per day/night, I made a little over $10/hour at my highest point. For management, the salaries are great, but for their part-time, front-line employees, the salaries are horribly low.
    *Hours - Some stores will give you close to 40 hours/week even if you're part time, and some stores that are slower can barely manage to give you the minimum 12 hours/week. Most people (especially front-end: cashiers, baggers, etc.) complain about not ever getting enough hours.
    *Hire Too Many People - Store employment associates (SEAs) generally care more about hiring, hiring, hiring than keeping their existing employees hours regular. Say you're working 30 hours/week, then 5 new employees are hired, well then get used to working 12 hours/week for awhile. And generally, the people they hire get worse and worse.
    *General "Do More with Less" attitude - Things such as "Project Thunder" and "Project Fix" (GIANT employees know these terms) aim to fix overspending at the store level, and are spun in a way that gets employees and the public excited about "New low prices", etc. In retrospect, all they are doing is cutting people's hours. It was to the point toward the end of my employment as a supervisor where the attitude was "The customer is always right, the customer comes first, the customer, the customer, the customer...", but yet upper management never scheduled me enough cashiers, baggers, or customer service people to serve customers well enough. If you are in a generally slower store, this will not be a problem. If you work in a very busy location, you will CONTINUOUSLY have to do more with less, especially people-wise. You are expected to bend over backwards for customers, but with no associates to help you do it. It's just all put on your shoulders. This is my biggest pet peeve about this company. Upper management (at the store- and corporate levels) are totally and completely disconnected with what is going on in their stores on the front-line.

If you schedule employees the hours they want to work, and hire more desirable employees at a more reasonable pay, your customer service goals will improve. Management always talks about how Giant receives low marks in customer service in surveys...this is because you don't pay your employees enough and force them to do more with less continuously. Not to mention I've seen a member of corporate management in a store I worked in ONCE in seven years of employment, which is horrendous to me. How can you know what's going on in your stores when you don't visit them?

I had mixed feelings about this job.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Waldorf, MD

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pros that I can think of is that you get to work in customer service

Cons

The managers are very childish and rude.
    There are not enough hours

You. need to listen to your employees

Its Okay depends on Environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Accokeek, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Accokeek, MD

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to interact with customers not to bad
    Setting up displays, being a cashier or working in bakery department not too bad

Cons

Other staff members can be very selfish with work hours. They want to get Sunday and Holiday pay hours for the extra money
    The pay is bad

Great

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Allentown, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Was a great working enviroment

Cons

none I have no cons to report

None

Worked for Giant Food Stores? Contribute to the Community!