Giant Food Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Giant Food Stores President Rick Herring

Rick Herring

Pros
  • Very flexible hours, working as a cashier is very easy(in 13 reviews)

• Awesome co-workers, above average pay, convenient location, fairly flexible scheduling(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • I've been there for about 7 yrs part time w/o medical benefits(in 12 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to interview for it(in 8 reviews)

Good company to work for.

NIGHT STOCK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) Reading, PA

ProsThey are very flexible with schedule. Offer benefits to part time employees after a short waiting period. Opportunities to move up in company exist.

ConsYou might have to work some nights and weekends, but all in all a good company to work for. Nothing really bad to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great store

Software Developer, Front-End Associate (Former Employee)

ProsIf you're a front end associate (what I did before moving to software) you have a pretty easy job and for the most part the lower level bosses are actually rather nice even in stressful or high customer influx times. Although I didn't have a senior software designer for the managements' software goals they were surprisingly willing to listen and understand how much time programming goals can take, which is a first for me outside of the tech industry. Be nice to others, and (for the most part) they'll be nice to you.

ConsDidn't recieve much compensation for any extra hours for my project, but occaisionally I was asked to help out the front-end associates with bagging and customer service. That's normally fine, but that's not the job that I applied or was payed. The employees had a high turnover rate due to college kids and recent grads being employed as mid-level managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually give an employee discount! The whole "1 penny for every 1 dollar is our profit" is complete gib, and it'd be nice to actually have an incentive to shop at the place I work.

Great first job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Elizabethtown, PA

Proseach department is a little different, supervisors were great, salary was appropriate, biannual raises, time off

Consthose who smoke were entitled to extra breaks

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to advance with

Customer Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPlenty of opportunity to advance, great benefits and vacation time, flexible schedule, great people to work with

ConsCan be difficult to get full-time, can be stressful at times to get everything done in allotted time

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a really good company to work for; continue to make it better and don't forget your employees.

Love my job

Cao Lead (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsIf you are a go getter you have a good chance in learning all different jobs with in the store. People and management are nice. Flexible hours

ConsIt may take you a while to get full time status. If you want full time you need to interview for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing at this time. Keep up the good work

Great

Back Up Pricing Coordinator (Current Employee) Springfield, PA

Prosgreat training. always room for advancement. i like working with the other people in my store and other stores. pay is competitive as well from other super markets i have worked at.

Conssomethings asked are silly to do. there are these green flags we are required to hang in every aisle next to every sale item, which i find pointless and they get destroyed and in the way.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Okay experience.

Bakery Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThey pay well for teenagers and first time jobs.

ConsThe company picks favorites. No matter what happens, even if it is the customer's fault, you are blamed for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would consider treating your employees better.

I was willing to learn but got bored after awhile.

Com (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, good co-workers, good employee incentives, job wasn't the same thing every day (always something new).

ConsLack of ability to move up with the company, too many initiatives to keep straight (ever-changing).

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to get better at work-life balance for salaried managers.

Giant has taught me how to take on multiple challenges, and to be a diligent leader

Dairy Lead (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe Pros of working here is that the I'm shown appreciation and rewarded with more hours and a little incentive for my hard work

ConsThe challenges i face at work is not having efficient help from the evening shift, which gives me more challenges to face during the morning shift

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement is great, i learned a lot from them, i have no advice

Mismanagement at it's finest.

Deli Clerk (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThere are very few pros working for GIANT FOOD STORES but here are a few; Flexibility in scheduling, great benefits IF you CAN maintain 20 hrs weekly, a party here and there as a way of management saying "thanks", scratch-offs giving you a free soda or $10 off your order, etc for "going the extra mile".

ConsNever, ever the correct amount of employees to properly stock the shelves or to help customers in a timely manner. You can tell management until your blue in the face - they do not care nor listen. They are breeding, whether they know it or not - a very bad customer service culture. A culture where in the employees are over worked, unhappy and angry due to the very poor scheduling . This in turn is transferred to the customer because they have to WAIT SO LONG to receive their products! This in one of the very best profit margin departments in the entire store THE DELI. Managers have absolutely NO CONCEPT of the amount of work required to properly run the Deli, Hot Foods and the salad bar. It's like they totally HATE those departments. One would think they would help and embrace a high profit margin department?

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on properly scheduling people without worrying about labor costs - instead focus on sales and increasing the sales, the stocking of shelves, the pre-sliced meats and cheeses. The store management needs to be way more pro-active withing the community. Get OUT off your buttocks and get creative to bring in people from schools and groups to the store.

Worked for Giant Food Stores? Contribute to the Community!