Giant Food Stores

Updated October 17, 2014
3.1

Giant Food Stores President Rick Herring
Rick Herring

Pros
  • Very flexible hours, working as a cashier is very easy (in 14 reviews)

• Awesome co-workers, above average pay, convenient location, fairly flexible scheduling (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I've been there for about 7 yrs part time w/o medical benefits (in 16 reviews)

• If you want full time you need to interview for it (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked in shipping & receiving, stock, and in the deli. Poor management and not much room for advancement.

Former Employee - Stock\Deli Clerk in Souderton, PA
    Former Employee - Stock\Deli Clerk in Souderton, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mostly nice co-workers who were easy to get along with.

Cons

Management was lazy and unorganized. Low pay and inflexible with their scheduling. They try to keep most of their employees on part-time status, just under full-time, in order to avoid giving them insurance benefits.

Raise the pay, show some consideration for employee scheduling needs, and communicate better.

Excellent Retirement Job

Current Employee - Lead Seafood Associate in Jennersville, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Seafood Associate in Jennersville, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For full timers very good benefits. I work at one of the top earning stores with excellent management. Really enjoy working here.

Cons

Part time associates receive very sparce benefits. If I was younger associate rather then a senior (retiree type) the work-life balance would be a challenge.

Need better work-life balance. Bonus structure needs to go down to all associates. Even Walmart has quarterly bonus goals and payouts to all associates, not just store management.

Good

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They're pretty friendly and very flexible with scheduling. I have also been able to pick up so many additional hours for people who've called off. If you work hard, they are more than willing to give you opportunities to move up.

Cons

As with any grocery store, it can get busy during holiday season, and during the weekends so the work can become more demanding.

Giant is enjoyable to work for part time they offer benefits for everyone

Current Employee - Deli/Chicken Cook in New Cumberland, PA
    Current Employee - Deli/Chicken Cook in New Cumberland, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Willing to work around your other job

Cons

some one will always know the answer

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Limerick, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Limerick, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked here at the end of high school and all through college. It was the perfect job for a student. If you wanted to move up from a cashier to something else, if you worked hard, they would help with that. If you didn't want to, they were okay with that too. I think you could get health insurance if you worked more than 20 hours a week.

Cons

They were never consistent with hours, policies were constantly changing, and some of the policies were ridiculous.

Stop constantly changing policies. It is hard to keep up with and very confusing.

Giant is a good first job to have for high school students.

Current Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Giant gives a lot of experience. It was my first job, and its going to help me out in the future. The pay is a dollar over minimum wage, and my managers understand that I have school, sports and family commitments and they work with me to schedule around those commitments.

Cons

Working as a cashier and bagger, you deal with rude customers on a daily basis. You just have to grin and bear it pretty much.

Great employees, horrible management

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time

Pros

coworkers are very friendly and treated me as if I was family. The salary was reasonable. Mostly flexible scheduling.

Cons

Management was hostile when they accused me of working till 10 when i had proof that i worked till 9. Management does not fully understand child labor laws.

Management needs to be trained in local child labor laws better.

Management Merry- Go Round

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1)Hires young workers giving an opportunity to work with school schedules
    2) Attempts to facilitate scheduling requests.
    3) provides work shirt free of charge.
    4)Non management associates very willing to help each other, good friendly people .
    5)Long term employees have a customer "following", and the developement of relationships between sales associates and customers is noteworthy.

Cons

1))Management rotation every 9 months, approximately, management is therefore unfamiliar with both customers and employees.
    2) Management is isolated from floor activities, ex" when lines are long, they will delay, or skip entirely cashier breaks rather than to jump in and help by opening up a lane, or taking over a lane so a worker can eat.
    3)Tedency to limit the hours of tenured emplyees when they start making their deserved minimal wage increases..
    4)) Inconsistent management policies from one store to the next.Vis a vis, employee handbook used indiscriminately based on individual managing teams in different stores

Try to support the sales associates, and floor workers, get to know your customers, treat your employees with the respect they deserve.

deli clerk

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Giant Food Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They work with your schedule if your in school.

Cons

They are at times inconsiderate of your time.
    Working conditions
    Not enough workers

Your a ghost until something goes wrong.

Current Employee - Bakery Associate in Bartonsville, PA
    Current Employee - Bakery Associate in Bartonsville, PA

I have been working at Giant Food Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best parts about working at giant are the benefits package and (most of) the co-workers. Good coverage at low costs, and a 401K that the company matches to boot. Mos of the people you work with are also very friendly, good people that will help you with what you need, so long as you are willing to do the same.

Cons

Payroll is constantly being cut, pushing an unreasonable amount of work onto the employees, with no increase in pay.

Even if you constantly go above and beyond your job to help customers or management, you wont get any recognition beyond a quick "thanks" before they send you back on your way to complete they tasks they are constantly adding to.

Giant (from what I have seen) has a bad habit of letting employees that do not do their job slide, while instantly berating the hard workers for the smallest things that may go wrong.

Lastly, in some instances, likely more so for department work, all your hard work and effort you put into proving yourself will be tossed aside as you apply for higher level positions. Giant seems glad to keep you in the same spot if they consider you to valuable or to hard to replace. Even knowing that, don't expect to get a pay increase out of the goodness of their hearts.

If you really want this to be a better place to work, consider acknowledging your employees efforts with more than a good job once in a while. Some of us really strive to make sure everything is running smoothly, from customer service, to completing our tasks to the best of our ability, and even picking up the slack for other employees that just decide not to do their job.
    Show us you really appreciate our efforts by surprising us with a pay raise, or be more willing to help us find a new position in the store if we are unhappy where we are now. We will be far happier to work for you if you treat us better, and show some real appreciation on a personal level, instead of a store-wide level.