Gibson Dunn & Crutcher

Gibson Dunn & Crutcher Chairman and Managing Partner Ken Doran

Ken Doran

Best job of my career.

Legal Secretary (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExcellent salaries, benefits and working conditions. Training is on-going so that you keep your skills state-of the art and if you leave you will be able to get a job anywhere. They do not allow overtime except in extenuating circumstances, which is great because you can have a life after work! The attorneys are approachable, well-mannered and generous. The financial state of the firm is excellent and in spite of the recession, and the demise of other well-placed law firms, our firm thrived!

ConsWe work for from 5-7 attorneys and sometimes it is difficult to prioritize when one attorney isn't aware of what another attorney has assigned you to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecent steps by management corrected an untenable situation so I am very pleased with management and want to encourage them to continue more of the same. They listen and learn and not very many companies can say that. This creates loyalty, good office morale, and confidence that you are going to have a good day!

Laid back, relaxed atmosphere

ProsEveryone is awesome. Over time and double time a big plus for late nights. Fun yet professional environment.

ConsCompensation. Long hours. Very unorganized management. Do-it yourself training.

Excellent, well-run firm; little chance of making partner

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsVery well-run, stable firm. Excellent, smart lawyers. Good technology, good quality staff, nice perks (e.g., client development and book budgets, lunch budgets, generally a fair amount free food).

ConsPartnership prospectus are fairly low for most associates, though that is true at most big law firms. They do seem to keep senior associates around for a longer time than other firms, or perhaps the associates just don't want to leave. There is definitely an expectation that you will work very, very hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the changing legal landscape, and how an old-school firm like GDC will fit in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Classy/upscale environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked with a group of professional and classy individuals

ConsA few of the attorney's were a bit on the "stuffy" side and appeared to look down on staff, while others were approachable and friendly.

Unfair to Non-Legal Staff

ProsSome nice people but unfair admin practices.

ConsMay be a nice place for attorneys, but not so great for non-legal staff. Rules and practices are unfair to staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat non-legal staff more humanely.

Friendly Sweat Shop

Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsTop notch partners to work for and learn from. Comp is top of the market. No layoffs were conducted during the downturn (although reviews were tougher). Exit opportunities are top tier. Partners are (almost) always extremely nice to work for and the GDC culture takes pride in that attitude. Everyone, including janitors, are treated with utmost respect by superiors. Review process is about as fair as it gets (it's done by a partner from another practice group in another office).

ConsWork very hard and ALWAYS expected to be on call. Lack of long-term opportunities, even though way more mid-level attorneys here than at other firms are led to believe otherwise for quite some time - results in a very competitive environment with your peers as you get more senior. Free market system is pitched as this awesome panacea, but actually results in not having the opportunity to work with a number of partners who have their go-to people and will not staff anyone else unless such persons are too busy (whereas, at other firms, a partner work coordinator will have some say in preventing this monopolization from occurring). Efforts to integrate lateral attorneys are non-existent and the free market system exacerbates this problem further (i.e., laterals better hope there's excess work when they start because there's no work coordinator to make sure they get staffed).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe free market system needs some adjustments to deal with its deficiencies, which are partner monopolization of certain associates (preventing other attorneys from getting the chance to work with those partners) and need a partner to make sure lateral attorneys are getting integrated properly into the staffing of work.

Great law firm for associates and a great place to start one's career

Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFree market system, nice people, definitely better than most biglaw peers.

ConsStill biglaw, meaning tedious work and being on call. Firm follows market in terms of bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to pay above market salaries

Pleasant but demanding.

ProsSomewhat flexible with work, life, balance.

ConsMistakes are difficult to process.

I like the work here. But it is generally busy as junior associate. The people here are very helpful and collegial.

Associate (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood office environment. Good job allocation. Free market system. High quality work. Decent people, and cooperative environment. Strong in litigation.

ConsSmall size of office. Narrow scope of practice. Tough toward junior associates. Too much social events. Hard to communicate with the paralegal and other staff.

Company Rating

Legal Secretary (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsCompensation, bonus, vacation days, healthcare benfits, 37.5 hour work week. Great people to work with.

ConsNone that I can think of. I think they do a good job with all of their employees and keeping them happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Worked for Gibson Dunn & Crutcher? Contribute to the Community!