Gibson Guitar

Gibson Guitar Reviews in Nashville, TN

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
2.7

Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO, Gibson Guitar and Baldwin Piano Henry E. Juszkiewicz
Henry E. Juszkiewicz

Pros
  • Great brand to promote and work with in the market, good benefits, diverse work activities, great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

• Working with Musical Instruments and great people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They actually get a thrill from firing people, they actually want you to fail, I have never seen anything like it (in 5 reviews)

• Senior Management, there is only one (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

97 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

What went wrong on the way to the gallows?

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

The Brand is well recognized.

Cons

The ownership seems to be focused on micromanagement.

Stop micro managing.

I will never tell other people to work for Gibson

Former Employee - Sander in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sander in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar

Pros

For the money and benefits

Cons

Working like a robot, that"s how they got the name Robotic Guitar. depression, overworked, no family life, because when you get off you be too tied to do anything, if you have asthma or any other problems do not work there, the exhaust system is very bad. A lot of things in that plant needs to be updated to modern times. Think about your workers, that"s why so many people there be out on medical leave, because of the working conditions. Use some of that money used to fly back and forth to China to update the plant.

You have some very good people working there. I think mangermemt needs to come out on the floor sometimes and talk to the workers to find out what"s going. Do not just walk down the hallways and glance at people working to keep from getting dirty, come over and have a conversationm, find out about problems that the supervisors are not telling.

Horrible work atmosphere

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

to be employed and earn a paycheck

Cons

No respect from management
    In fighting
    extreme micromanagement

respect employees and allow people to perform the jobs for which they were hired

corporate mentality: numbers matter more than people

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

the benefits are good, 401k, paid vac. days, etc. if you are into music everybody that works there is into music. they mostly leave you alone to do your job, most of the time, thank god. the pay is pretty good for me, my job is pretty simple and mindless, low stress. you get a week off in the summer over july 4 and a week off over x-mas.

Cons

working inside of modern american corporate mentality: they won't say it but they want robots to work there, people as robots of course. most people that actually make the guitars have a simple, repetitive job they do all day. we used to be able to listen to music, or have a cup of coffee but that's all gone now. no music, only water while working. when asked if we could listen to music ever again my supervisor actually said, 'we can live w/o music. this place is not about music'. if you forgot, we're talking about a guitar company.

your family definitely takes a back seat to the needs of production. irregular work schedules, ie, working over, saturdays, are rarely talked about until the time they need you.

for me, personally, it's the whole corporate mentality, a basic facet of which is - 'ok, we're really under the gun here', and that's all the time. and the bosses take the position of gibson, as if they are the ones that pay us (they don't sign the checks). they use fear a bit - we should be lucky just to work there. and the bosses make the biggest error that almost all bad leaders make: they think they are more important because they lead. they don't work on the guitars, they are supposed to direct the work we do, they are servants. a leader directs the people he/she is in front of and those people are the point of the leaders presence. they need to be respected to do good work, IF quality work is what is important here.

all and all, though, despite that i've seen some supervisors act like complete jerks/ treat people like crap in the name of satisfying their superiors, they don't keep me there. i am not bound to that place. it is my choices that brought me there and my responsibility to leave if i'm not happy regardless of a difficult job market or economy.

i don't think your jobs have anything to do with being able to treat people with respect and to value them, the people who work under you that is. try not to enjoy that.

The absolute worst manager I ever have worked for

I worked at Gibson Guitar

Pros

I really enjoyed all of the people that visited our facility from the stars to the players. Meeting the people that use the products that we built was always a highlight for me.

Cons

I would have to say the fact that Gibson is extremely micromismanaged by a team who lacks so much when it comes to management skills, team leadership skills, and people skills. The left hand does not know from hour to hour, let alone day to day what the right hand is doing. Annual reviews are intended to provide the employee insight to his/her performance, but at Gibson, they are way less than anual if you see one at all. The other thing is the fact that there are absolutely no oppurtunities in this organization. No oppurtunities for advancement within the company, or for a person to experience any personal growth, any professional growth, or challenge which leads to the extremely high turn over rate. The product has suffered immensely due to this high turn over rate. Gibson appears to be on the imminent downward spiral. I attribute this to the lack of skill on all fronts. It shows that you really get what you pay for when it comes to labor. World wake up.

To effect change you must get the CEO out of operations management, and hire some management that actually has some management training and some people skills. It is unskilled middle and upper management "yes" men and women that contribute alot to the multiple failures of this once great company.

Its O.K.

Current Employee - Neck Line in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Neck Line in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

the history of the company

Cons

NO LEADERSHIP. all those in a Lead/Supervisor position have no leadership qualities. they are promoted only by how much ass the kiss. it takes decades to move up the ladder. being in Nashville, most employees are white trash and speak like hillbillies. NO COMMUNICATION WHAT SO EVER. human resource dept. over whelmed by belly aching employees. the factory looks like an episode of hee -haw meets yo MTV raps...

Communicate with employees, find and promote new people from within.

You will not retire from here!

Former Employee - Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar

Pros

The product. The product kept me at the company way longer than I should have stayed. It is a great place for young entry level people to get thrown in to the deep end and learn a lot in a short period of time.

Cons

The working environment is awful. No raises, no promotions, no praise......nothing. For young people do not look at this job as a career......It is a start and that is it until management changes.

Henry sell the company to someone who cares about its well being. Henry read some different management books........You'll catch more bees with honey than vinegar.

Toxic Shock

Former Employee - Entertainment Relations in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Entertainment Relations in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar

Pros

The further your office is from the Nashville the luckier you are. You get to meet rock stars. Everybody thinks you have a cool job. Good 401K. Some positions are great stepping stones into entertainment industries.

Cons

On your first day you'll be told, "One day, you'll get a call and you'll be gone." Just know that getting fired is what passes for career advancement at Gibson, but getting fired is a blessing. People would be fired and would beg for their jobs back in a strange Munchausen type display.
    You'll also be told, "Never suggest a really good idea." This is part and parcel of the incredibly toxic work environment that is is 100% attributable to the CEO. You can read from the other reviews that the character flaws exhibited by the CEO trickle down through upper management all the way to production. Backstabbing is de rigueur at Gibson. It is also the Achilles heel of the company.
    The CEO and Management have hugely inflated opinions of the importance and abilities.
    It all seems folly. In reality the company operates at 30% of it's potential. It has a storied brand and basically no competition for it product. People will always buy Les Paul guitars. The CEO knows it so he doesn't have to think big picture. He is free to run his fiefdom as he sees fit. The personnel who work closely with the CEO are gluttons for punishment.

Come down from your pedestal. Every single person at Gibson is replaceable, including the CEO. The brand will outlive all of you, so get over yourselves.

failure on all fronts

Former Employee - Former Gibson Corporate Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Former Gibson Corporate Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar

Pros

product; great people to work with (not for, but with!)

Cons

senior management is a constant state of turnover; the "failure" rate of senior executives is excessive even in the worst of companies - Gibson has set the bar on so high no other company can probably come close; the failure of numerous product lines by CEO who "knows" he is always right despite qualified staff who actually know what they are doing - if you doubt me ask where these products are now or why you see very few of these products in a music store - Oberheim, Opcode, Echoplex, Orange, Red Bear, Goldtone, Dawn, Tobias, Slingerland, Valley Arts, Baldwin, Wurlitzer, Kramer, Steinberger, Maestro, Zeta, digital jukebox, many failed attempts at entertainment venues as well a "lifestyle" products; you wonder why these are brought up? - the only products that do well and survive are the products that would sell even if marketing were stopped-like the Les Paul, SG, etc.; everything else Henry has bought has died a horrible death or sells so little through that the dealers staff probably don't even know how to sell them through

lack of real sales and marketing knowledge by Henry has set the tone for the failure of these brands and the failure of how to run a company effectively; the lack of any real communication (unless you consider being berated day after day communication) does not allow the staff to do anything but react-there is no real opportunities to be proactive and make the brand better

anyone who has placed a high rating in these reviews has not worked at Gibson long enough to be totally humilated by Henry yet-just give them time

Henry-as a former employee who left on good terms and would love to see the brand succeed - please step aside. This is the only way the company will truly succeed.

It doesn't get much worse than this...

I worked at Gibson Guitar

Pros

the "worker-level" atmosphere and participating in an exciting industry.

Cons

No business logic is allowed to be applied in what you do, at any level.

Directives come down with no relevant reasoning that must be followed without question at all levels. Turnover is ridiculous, whether by your own hand or by that of HJ himself (who makes all real decisions).

Again, the lack of continuity in staffing, where that could breed solid operations over long periods of time and not "starting over" constantly. I, for one, had 5 bosses in 4 years.

No real focus. As seen now, in a down market with product critism running rampant, They open an ice cream store in the middle of the Winter!! Not exactly concerntrating on core products.

There is only one leader and a group of rotating minions...my advice is get over your ego and wanting to rub shoulders with rock stars, sell the company to a competent operation or persons that can move it forward again.

Things change and business changes over the years...no company with control over 15 to 20 years by the same person ever suceeds; this is being evidenced now at Gibson.