Gibson Guitar Reviews

Updated April 1, 2015
133 reviews filtered by
2.5
Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO, Gibson Guitar and Baldwin Piano Henry E. Juszkiewicz
Henry E. Juszkiewicz

Pros
  • Great brand to promote and work with in the market, good benefits, diverse work activities, great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

• Working with Musical Instruments and great people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They actually get a thrill from firing people, they actually want you to fail, I have never seen anything like it (in 5 reviews)

• Senior Management, there is only one (in 5 reviews)

1. antwain's rating

Current Employee - A Good One in Nash, TN
    Current Employee - A Good One in Nash, TN

I have been working at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

clean , safe environment . good pay. friendly people.

Cons

good place to work. general location. professional atmosphere

Advice to Management

hire me

2. QA Analyst

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

Great Place to work loved it

Cons

None that i can think of

3. Please apply somewhere else if your looking for a stable career.

Former Employee - Manufacture Tech in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Manufacture Tech in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Gibson Guitar

Pros

Lots of paid time off and Holidays for Bozeman, MT facility. Not a bad starting wage.

Cons

Aggressive people. Leads and higher ups not willing to listen to real problems inside the company. HR will just urge you to fill out your exit paperwork. Worked for 2 and a half years with the company. Worked for 8 months without the same pay as the rest of the department.(much lower but the same amount of work) It takes months or years for the management to rectify a problem internally, they'd rather sweep it under the rug.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your employees. There might really be a problem. It could save you lots time and lawsuits.

5. Always improving, safety, quality, and work environment.

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

Great team and teamwork

Cons

Balance between tradition and progress

Advice to Management

Continue to improve.

Terrible place to work

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

If you have the personality for it, you could probably work at this company for years without actually doing much work. It might get you a second nod at a bar if you talk about working for Gibson Guitar.

Cons

Salaries are below industry standard, and benefits are almost non-existent. The company is run by a tyrannical CEO. His direct reports also tend to have extremely terrible management skills, as they seem to learn from his example. There are very few opportunities for advancement, and the "boy's club" culture is very strong.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't dare try to give advice, they already know everything :)

7. Sad

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

A company with a rich History. If it weren't for that, Henry would have put them under a long time ago

Cons

There is no pride in the product nor, interest in being innovative beyond, gimmicks that most guitar players have no interest in.

Robot tuners ...REALLY?

Horrible Place to work. CEO runs everything. Management belittles workers. You make Guitars-but it's FAR from glamorous!

Former Employee - Pro Guitar Adjuster in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Pro Guitar Adjuster in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very small chance of winning a free guitar. Small Employee Discount on Guitars. Okay Pay - Medical / Dental. That's about it!

Cons

Everything is a Con! CEO runs company like a dictatorship. It takes about 3 months to get hired-because CEO does ALL the screening and hiring- he delegates NOTHING when it comes to important decisions - design, colors, etc. Management and workers are all just puppets to his orders. They haven't given a raise in 5-6 yrs. Understaffed - but expected to hit large numbers (Building Guitars) anyways. HR staff and Managers at the Massman Dr. Plant (Main Plant) are all good old boys who some don't even have a High School education. They do the least amount of work possible to NOT get noticed by the CEO - as long as all Sales and Guitar Building quotas are met. That's all he cares about. And the Managers just delegate everything down to us - and put all the pressure on us. While they noodle around on their computer pretending that they are doing something. Or disappear for hours and 'SAY" they were at meetings! All the managers are not professional-even for a factory job. They talk down to the workers as if we are in High School! But none of Mngt. will ever quit, because they have 15-20 yrs. plus in, and don't know anything else. They just make sure numbers are hit, and even they avoid the CEO - they stay under the radar like everyone else. Because the CEO will fire ANYONE at anytime for any reason. He doesn't care about your Family, House, medical, you are just a statistic to him. It is a pressure cooker atmosphere ALWAYS. My friend was at a meeting with him once - and the CEO fired the Worst Salesman and the Best. My friend asked him..."Why fire the Best salesman?" and he said "just to shake things up"!?!?! That's the kind of guy that runs this company. He fired our new plant manager - who was the coolest guy with a lot of experience and education - for no reason at all. Noone knows - they say it was sales, but production was met every week? This guy had moved from New Jersey, bought a home, put his kids in school - and then 6 months later - GONE! You would think that Gibson's stellar perception amongst musicians would mean the company is the same - except it's not. I can't even begin to list all the stories of things I saw - fights, derogatory and unprofessional language towards workers. Workers fired for no reason - and then lied to saying it was from some made-up reason. Until this guy leaves - this company will only get worse. The prices now - are so high, that noone can afford them anyways. He's pricing his guitars above the point where the only people who can afford Gibson instruments are the Rich! Do yourself a favor - STAY AWAY!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO! Don't take 3 months to hire - without letting the applicant even know what their status is in that 3 months. Give Raises. Get ALL professional Managers and all new HR staff. Don't buy Tobias, Valley Arts, Baldwin, Slingerland, and all these other subbrands - and then quit making them just to build the Gibson Brands name up to give it more cache'. This company needs a complete overhaul. The CEO is where it all starts. Just sell the company already! But he won't do that because of his narcissism, ego, etc. are all wrapped up in Owning Gibson. He gets a rush from the control of owning this company.

Great co-workers, customer service hours are 24/7/365, manager was really cool though!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work there are great. My manager was cool. Employee pricing on gear. Pay is decent

Cons

Customer Service is open 24/7/365. So nights weekends and holidays. Company (or Office I should say) could be ran a bit more efficient perhaps. Customer service obviously puts you on the front line dealing with American's finest patrons. Moving up in the company is pretty much impossible. Customer Service is understaffed for being 24/7 in my opinion. Takes forever to hire a new employee (almost 2-3 months sometimes). Location of main office is not in the best part of town (lets be honest).

Advice to Management

If you are claiming to have 24/7 support, you should staff it so. It might be more beneficial to hire from within a little more so that current employees can see at least some possibility of more responsibilities and pay.

10. I like to work for Gibson

Current Employee - Production in Nash, TN
    Current Employee - Production in Nash, TN

I have been working at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

it is good to work for guitar and music

Cons

working saftly do clean job and do better job in order the company stay in business

Advice to Management

give a chance to people to work there

Not as bad as everyone says

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand to promote and work with in the market, good benefits, diverse work activities, great people to work with.

Cons

Policies are outdated, no value in employees from owner. not the job a person will retire

Gibson Guitar Photos

Gibson Factory, (Photo thanks to Wikipedia User, Flickr upload bot, Some rights reserved)

+ Add Photo