Gibson Guitar

Gibson Guitar Reviews

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
2.4

Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO, Gibson Guitar and Baldwin Piano Henry E. Juszkiewicz
Henry E. Juszkiewicz

Pros
  • Great brand to promote and work with in the market, good benefits, diverse work activities, great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

• Working with Musical Instruments and great people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They actually get a thrill from firing people, they actually want you to fail, I have never seen anything like it (in 5 reviews)

• Senior Management, there is only one (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great co-workers, customer service hours are 24/7/365, manager was really cool though!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work there are great. My manager was cool. Employee pricing on gear. Pay is decent

Cons

Customer Service is open 24/7/365. So nights weekends and holidays. Company (or Office I should say) could be ran a bit more efficient perhaps. Customer service obviously puts you on the front line dealing with American's finest patrons. Moving up in the company is pretty much impossible. Customer Service is understaffed for being 24/7 in my opinion. Takes forever to hire a new employee (almost 2-3 months sometimes). Location of main office is not in the best part of town (lets be honest).

If you are claiming to have 24/7 support, you should staff it so. It might be more beneficial to hire from within a little more so that current employees can see at least some possibility of more responsibilities and pay.

I like to work for Gibson

Current Employee - Production in Nash, TN
    Current Employee - Production in Nash, TN

I have been working at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

it is good to work for guitar and music

Cons

working saftly do clean job and do better job in order the company stay in business

give a chance to people to work there

Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with Musical Instruments and great people.

Cons

Limited upward mobility. Hard to get time off.

Not as bad as everyone says

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand to promote and work with in the market, good benefits, diverse work activities, great people to work with.

Cons

Policies are outdated, no value in employees from owner. not the job a person will retire

Worst company in the music business

Former Employee - Executive in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love the brand and the products.

Cons

Most employees work hard to not be seen by the bipolar CEO. There's a 50/50 chance they would be fired just when they're seen...and they all know it. Management by fear and intimidation is the standard operating procedure. 27 different executives left the company in one year...either quit or fired. Insanity.

Get medication.

A dream come true!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love working at Gibson. It's like I won the lottery! I learn more about Gibson guitars every day. It really makes you appreciate the hard work that goes into each and every one of those guitars.

Cons

The biggest and hardest part of working at Gibson is not getting caught up in the politics. They won't let managers make their own decisions. HR can fire but not hire unless they have the consent of Henry. They make to many promises to employees and never follow up. Such as pay differential when you move to a higher skilled job. I know about 10 people that have gotten treated this way so I know it to be fact. I've seen some of the best employee's get canned over silly things that could have been corrected differently. This company has so much talent in it there is no doubt it could grow to be the biggest distributor in the world but that talent never gets to shine. So sad really. It's the owners fault. ..... Bottom line. Great product poor ownership.

Grow some balls tell Henry the truth. Take ownership of your faults and learn and grow from them. Smile and get involved with people on the floor even if it is a simple "good morning how are you doing?" Kind of thing. And most important train your people to be the best they can be. Knowledge is power to do a better job and be confident in doing your job.

The company you want to stay before retirement

I worked at Gibson Guitar

Pros

The Guitar Company! People are nice there. The working environment is relaxed and no-pushing but efficient. The company seems to be without problem of getting profit each year.

Cons

Lack of promotion opportunity. But suitable for a stable career life. You will definitely get what you deserve based on your work or even more.

Corporate Front Office Manager

I worked at Gibson Guitar

Pros

Great Group of People
    Great Opportunity
    I liked working there.....

Cons

There are none.

Keep up the great work!

"Epiphone Division" Dead end job, long weeks long days

Current Employee - Guitar Adjuster in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Guitar Adjuster in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None really, cheap chinese guitars covered in dirt

Cons

Scraping rust off strings for 10hrs a day and cleaning mold and dirt of guitars ="Adjuster"
    6 day work weeks mon-sat pretty common every month sometimes 3 weeks out of the month and 9-10 hour days common.The "Rules" are different for everyone depending on your age, music tastes,or religion.
    They never really do little things even like give a t shirt to you (without donating money to a "fundraiser") or buy lunch ever. there's No growth opportunity at all. A job where musicians are getting paid to work on guitars you think nobody would ever quit this job but they make it so you basically can't stay there unless you want to go nowhere. One "wage adjustment" in the last 4 years which was 49 cents an hour and couple years with 0 christmas bonuses and you should pretty much see it's a dead end walmart of guitars.

None, they wouldn't listen. You're lucky if they remember your name after 4 years. They are managers there because they wouldn't be a manager any where else.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Gibson Guitar (more than 3 years)

Pros

the folks who make the guitars are awesome! they take a lot of pride in what they do. they pay well and most folks enjoy their job.

Cons

Corporate culture is challenging at best, especially the closer you are to the top. negotiate your severance package up front.

delegate and allow people to do what they are hired to do without micro-managing.