Gibson Guitar Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO, Gibson Guitar and Baldwin Piano Henry E. Juszkiewicz
Henry E. Juszkiewicz

Pros
  • Great brand to promote and work with in the market, good benefits, diverse work activities, great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

• Working with Musical Instruments and great people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They actually get a thrill from firing people, they actually want you to fail, I have never seen anything like it (in 5 reviews)

• The CEO is the worst ever, resulting in the most dysfunctional corporate culture I have ever experienced or even heard of (in 4 reviews)

Not a terrible place to work.

Current Employee - Adjuster in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Adjuster in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Guitar full-time

Pros

Never laid off. Raises were consistent with reliability for the first 15 years. Great co-workers. Steady growth in the beginning.

Cons

Stagnant wages in the last 5-7 years. Appears that the owner is unaware that the company is taking the same direction now that the previous owners ( Norlin ) , which made it possible for easy take over.

Advice to Management

Do more test marketing.

Department Leads

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

Benefits package is about par for the course with other companies even though the Electric Division employees haven't had a raise in 2 1/2 years.

Cons

Department leads play favorites with certain employees, one in particular resorts to bullying certain employees because he can (last name Tardy I believe). There is a sign above the entrance for employees that reads, "Through these doors walk the best employees in the world". Certain managerial staff (leads) should learn to respect others and understand what a privelage it is to be in management. Treating others badly just because you can is not management material and is a cancer to the company.

Advice to Management

Invest more time in company department leads' training in regards to showing respect. Condescending, bullying attitudes towards people makes for a toxic work environment.

Poor culture leading to poor quality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

It is an ok company to work for at short term.

Cons

Poor management from CEO all the way down to leads. Quality control is in the hands of a few, and it should be in the hands of all. There is no incentive to do well.

Advice to Management

Give incentives to employees for good quality.

Toxic enviroment due to poor executive managment

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, decent core hours.

Cons

Micromanaged to point we here you can't effectively perform your job then blamed for poor results.

Advice to Management

Let managers manage. And managers need to enforce discipline.

The camaraderie of your co-workers...

Former Employee - Scraper/Paint Repairs in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Scraper/Paint Repairs in Memphis, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time

Pros

The camaraderie of your co-workers is the only thing that might help you get through your stint working for Gibson

Cons

Well, it all starts from the top... Henry IS without a doubt just as many others have commented. Insane, sadistic, narcissistic, micro-managing, refuses to listen to ANY other ideas or suggestions... You'll soon learn that no amount of money can replace your physical health, absolute loss of personal/family time, and overall bitterness that floats through the air at this place. Most employees are dealing with pain and multiple injuries due to repetitive motion, they are tired from working 50-60 hours every week (including Saturdays, and even Sundays occasionally so you work 14 days straight) you MUST be there anywhere from 5AM to 7AM and you CANNOT be even 2 seconds late. Time clock just ticked over to 6:01? You just got an attendance point. 2 points more and you're on probation for 3 months. Good luck. You're really going to need it. I was terminated after my second bout with a rotator cuff injury-work related. Workman's Comp and the network doctor were unwilling to order an MRI, and I'm positive the ortho knew I would need surgery. That would've been costly to them, and more paid leave... so I was canned. I am still dealing with very frequent pain and lack of strength/mobility from my torn rotator cuff. Thanks guys.

Advice to Management

Organize and stand up to Henry. All supervisors and plant managers. I guarantee the hourly employees would have you back, because you would be standing up for them, too.

Evil, narcissistic CEO

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

Some very good people work for Gibson - but they are stifled and not allowed to show their talent or skills.

Cons

Run, don't walk away from even considering working here. The CEO is HORRIBLE - mean, nasty, uber-controlling. If anyone in the company dares to have a different idea than his, you can pretty much guarantee that they will be fired - on the spot. It happens all the time. He listens to no one but himself - a narcissist to the Nth degree! Morale at this company is horrible. People feel powerless, demeaned and worthless - it all starts at the top. There are so many good reasons it is considered one of the worst companies in the US to work for. Blame the owner/CEO for everything that is wrong at Gibson.

Advice to Management

No advice will help, unless someone finds a way to get rid of this CEO

Executive

Former Employee - Executive in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar

Pros

Don't do it! Henry is a nasty, demeaning, low life owner. He gets a kick out of treating you like dirt! You never know what you are getting…. Henry high on cocaine or the Henry that will work with you! This is the worst executive position that I have held…...

Cons

Just stay away! He will sit at his conference table and tell you that you're worthless! There is a reason that this was ranked the worst company to work for!

Advice to Management

Done make the wrong decision as I did

9. QA Analyst

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

Great Place to work loved it

Cons

None that i can think of

Please apply somewhere else if your looking for a stable career.

Former Employee - Manufacture Tech in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Manufacture Tech in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Gibson Guitar

Pros

Lots of paid time off and Holidays for Bozeman, MT facility. Not a bad starting wage.

Cons

Aggressive people. Leads and higher ups not willing to listen to real problems inside the company. HR will just urge you to fill out your exit paperwork. Worked for 2 and a half years with the company. Worked for 8 months without the same pay as the rest of the department.(much lower but the same amount of work) It takes months or years for the management to rectify a problem internally, they'd rather sweep it under the rug.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your employees. There might really be a problem. It could save you lots time and lawsuits.

11. Always improving, safety, quality, and work environment.

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

Great team and teamwork

Cons

Balance between tradition and progress

Advice to Management

Continue to improve.

RSS Feed </> Embed