Gibson Guitar

Gibson Guitar Reviews

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
2.4

Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO, Gibson Guitar and Baldwin Piano Henry E. Juszkiewicz
Henry E. Juszkiewicz

Pros
  • Great brand to promote and work with in the market, good benefits, diverse work activities, great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

• Working with Musical Instruments and great people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They actually get a thrill from firing people, they actually want you to fail, I have never seen anything like it (in 5 reviews)

• Senior Management, there is only one (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Always improving, safety, quality, and work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

Great team and teamwork

Cons

Balance between tradition and progress

Continue to improve.

Sad

I have been working at Gibson Guitar

Pros

A company with a rich History. If it weren't for that, Henry would have put them under a long time ago

Cons

There is no pride in the product nor, interest in being innovative beyond, gimmicks that most guitar players have no interest in.

Robot tuners ...REALLY?

Worst Place On Earth!

Former Employee - Product Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar

Pros

They make guitars.
    They are based in the US and not Russia, China, Cuba, or Venezuela.

Cons

Too numerous to mention. Do not join! They are hiring for a Product Manager right now. Do not be tempted! So, you are a lifelong guitar player? Skip it. That is beside the point. You will be in an emotional Vietnam from day one. The CEO Henry really has some kind of mental problems. He used to look fairly normal, but now, watch his eyes. There is something seriously wrong. Worse, he enjoys demeaning people. Expect an email copying all your colleagues and slamming you about some unexpected issue where you apparently have not achieved something, even if it was never discussed to be part of your job responsibilities. CEO reviews all travel requests. Yes, I said travel requests. And then, he plays with you about whether he will let you go on the trip he has ordered you on. I have met people like this before. They are the kind who starve their horses or beat their dogs or chop the heads off of kittens. If you join, you will be trying to figure out how to get out after the first week.

Die

Horrible Place to work. CEO runs everything. Management belittles workers. You make Guitars-but it's FAR from glamorous!

Former Employee - Pro Guitar Adjuster in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Pro Guitar Adjuster in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very small chance of winning a free guitar. Small Employee Discount on Guitars. Okay Pay - Medical / Dental. That's about it!

Cons

Everything is a Con! CEO runs company like a dictatorship. It takes about 3 months to get hired-because CEO does ALL the screening and hiring- he delegates NOTHING when it comes to important decisions - design, colors, etc. Management and workers are all just puppets to his orders. They haven't given a raise in 5-6 yrs. Understaffed - but expected to hit large numbers (Building Guitars) anyways. HR staff and Managers at the Massman Dr. Plant (Main Plant) are all good old boys who some don't even have a High School education. They do the least amount of work possible to NOT get noticed by the CEO - as long as all Sales and Guitar Building quotas are met. That's all he cares about. And the Managers just delegate everything down to us - and put all the pressure on us. While they noodle around on their computer pretending that they are doing something. Or disappear for hours and 'SAY" they were at meetings! All the managers are not professional-even for a factory job. They talk down to the workers as if we are in High School! But none of Mngt. will ever quit, because they have 15-20 yrs. plus in, and don't know anything else. They just make sure numbers are hit, and even they avoid the CEO - they stay under the radar like everyone else. Because the CEO will fire ANYONE at anytime for any reason. He doesn't care about your Family, House, medical, you are just a statistic to him. It is a pressure cooker atmosphere ALWAYS. My friend was at a meeting with him once - and the CEO fired the Worst Salesman and the Best. My friend asked him..."Why fire the Best salesman?" and he said "just to shake things up"!?!?! That's the kind of guy that runs this company. He fired our new plant manager - who was the coolest guy with a lot of experience and education - for no reason at all. Noone knows - they say it was sales, but production was met every week? This guy had moved from New Jersey, bought a home, put his kids in school - and then 6 months later - GONE! You would think that Gibson's stellar perception amongst musicians would mean the company is the same - except it's not. I can't even begin to list all the stories of things I saw - fights, derogatory and unprofessional language towards workers. Workers fired for no reason - and then lied to saying it was from some made-up reason. Until this guy leaves - this company will only get worse. The prices now - are so high, that noone can afford them anyways. He's pricing his guitars above the point where the only people who can afford Gibson instruments are the Rich! Do yourself a favor - STAY AWAY!

Get rid of the CEO! Don't take 3 months to hire - without letting the applicant even know what their status is in that 3 months. Give Raises. Get ALL professional Managers and all new HR staff. Don't buy Tobias, Valley Arts, Baldwin, Slingerland, and all these other subbrands - and then quit making them just to build the Gibson Brands name up to give it more cache'. This company needs a complete overhaul. The CEO is where it all starts. Just sell the company already! But he won't do that because of his narcissism, ego, etc. are all wrapped up in Owning Gibson. He gets a rush from the control of owning this company.

Great co-workers, customer service hours are 24/7/365, manager was really cool though!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work there are great. My manager was cool. Employee pricing on gear. Pay is decent

Cons

Customer Service is open 24/7/365. So nights weekends and holidays. Company (or Office I should say) could be ran a bit more efficient perhaps. Customer service obviously puts you on the front line dealing with American's finest patrons. Moving up in the company is pretty much impossible. Customer Service is understaffed for being 24/7 in my opinion. Takes forever to hire a new employee (almost 2-3 months sometimes). Location of main office is not in the best part of town (lets be honest).

If you are claiming to have 24/7 support, you should staff it so. It might be more beneficial to hire from within a little more so that current employees can see at least some possibility of more responsibilities and pay.

I like to work for Gibson

Current Employee - Production in Nash, TN
    Current Employee - Production in Nash, TN

I have been working at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

it is good to work for guitar and music

Cons

working saftly do clean job and do better job in order the company stay in business

give a chance to people to work there

Customer Service

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with Musical Instruments and great people.

Cons

Limited upward mobility. Hard to get time off.

Not as bad as everyone says

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand to promote and work with in the market, good benefits, diverse work activities, great people to work with.

Cons

Policies are outdated, no value in employees from owner. not the job a person will retire

Worst company in the music business

Former Employee - Executive in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love the brand and the products.

Cons

Most employees work hard to not be seen by the bipolar CEO. There's a 50/50 chance they would be fired just when they're seen...and they all know it. Management by fear and intimidation is the standard operating procedure. 27 different executives left the company in one year...either quit or fired. Insanity.

Get medication.

A dream come true!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Gibson Guitar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love working at Gibson. It's like I won the lottery! I learn more about Gibson guitars every day. It really makes you appreciate the hard work that goes into each and every one of those guitars.

Cons

The biggest and hardest part of working at Gibson is not getting caught up in the politics. They won't let managers make their own decisions. HR can fire but not hire unless they have the consent of Henry. They make to many promises to employees and never follow up. Such as pay differential when you move to a higher skilled job. I know about 10 people that have gotten treated this way so I know it to be fact. I've seen some of the best employee's get canned over silly things that could have been corrected differently. This company has so much talent in it there is no doubt it could grow to be the biggest distributor in the world but that talent never gets to shine. So sad really. It's the owners fault. ..... Bottom line. Great product poor ownership.

Grow some balls tell Henry the truth. Take ownership of your faults and learn and grow from them. Smile and get involved with people on the floor even if it is a simple "good morning how are you doing?" Kind of thing. And most important train your people to be the best they can be. Knowledge is power to do a better job and be confident in doing your job.