Giftcraft

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014
4.1

Trevor Cohen

Pros
  • The driving force behind the success of the business is the leadership of our CEO, Trevor Cohen (in 21 reviews)

• I'm honored to be part of a company that has the designation of Best Managed companies in Canada for 3 years running (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • there is little or no babysitting from upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Customer service is terrible which can end up costing great clients (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Bright Future at Giftcraft

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Giftcraft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growing company always ready to take on new challenges and stay on trend in the marketplace. Quick to change things as needed and fantastic new product releases! The most exciting thing is seeing hard work and company support pay off with big results!

Cons

As with any sales job, you must commit the time to see the results! But the pros by far outweigh any cons!

Supportive of ideas and always willing to listen! They work very hard to create a family type atmosphere and develop a culture where all are welcome to participate in the growing of the company and the bright future ahead!

Sep 29, 2014CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate that you understand that as a sales professional hard work and determination are key ingredients to success. We are glad to hear you ... More

fantastic company to work for

I have been working at Giftcraft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

very individual and hands on management....ability to grow and move up very quickly

Cons

must be able to get up and go each day since we work from home

quickly and upon job performance

Sep 29, 2014CEO

Many thanks for taking time to review Giftcraft on Glassdoor. We strive to create an environment for our employees to succeed and are proud when members of our team grow professionally reach their ... More

Endless Opportunity

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Giftcraft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have a win win situation to work here, endless amounts of products to serve any retail customer. A team from the top down that gives 110% to provide us with the tools to know we are on trend and have products that fit and suit all markets. Samples given to get in your customers hands, iPads to show and sell our line with confidence and great photography. A company that has always had the ability to have an idea or trend and pull a complete line together and bring to market in a short amount of time to be first out. A company that has been awarded two years in a row one of Canada's Top 50 BEST Managed companies.

Cons

With any job it takes a long day each day to be a success, but as in life you ALWAYS get out what you put in.

No advice but, always Thankful they are looking to bring us the newest and best products on the market. Our Management team has and does sell they know what it is we all need to be successful.

Sep 29, 2014CEO

Thank you for being a part of the Giftcraft family for more than 10 years! I love hearing from members of our team who share the same vision and passion I have for our organization.
    I look forward
    ... More

An amazing company to build a career

Current Employee - Territory Sales
    Current Employee - Territory Sales

I have been working at Giftcraft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been working at Giftcraft for over 8 years and it has provided me a platform to develop a successful career in sales. The company is like one big family and I've been fortunate to interact and work with individuals throughout the entire organization who've taught me the ins and outs of how to be successful in our industry. From sales support all the way up to Trevor Cohen our CEO everyone shows a vested interest in my personal success and have supported me from the moment I joined the company. I'm honored to be part of a company that has the designation of Best Managed companies in Canada for 3 years running. I've be afforded the opportunity to build a successful career here while maintaining a successful work life balance. I'm surrounded by motivated and hard working individuals who are all working for the common goal of achieving personal and company success.

Cons

I believe the companies greatest strength is at times also a challenge with so many amazing opportunities and product launches across so many different categories of business. At times it's challenging to manage all the opportunities properly and give each business category the attention it deserves.

Thank you for the ongoing support and continue to innovate, develop and lead in our industry.

Sep 29, 2014CEO

The true reward of a CEO is reading your great review for which I thank you. Our company’s collective objective is to provide opportunities for our employees and sales professionals to achieve great ... More

Unlimited potential based on how hard you want to work

I have been working at Giftcraft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Giftcraft has a wonderful a catalog that is updated regularly. Customers respond very well to the products. You can sell to a lot of different small businesses--florists, gift shops, garden centers, museums, zoos, clothing boutiques, kitchen and wine stores, etc. The job allows you to visit with many different customers without being tied to a desk or doing phone sales. You receive very good job training and you always have the immediate support of managers. Giftcraft has been in business for the better part of a century, outlasting many of its competitors. If you work hard, your earning potential is unlimited.

Cons

This is not a good fit for people who do not like to work independently or who do not like to drive. You must be comfortable with cold calling.

Fun, always different, very nice superiors

I have been working at Giftcraft full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you love working where every day is different and a new adventure, then you will love it! I love going all over and finding new spots to enjoy. I have met some wonderful people along the way. If you don't do well, then it's your own fault. The lines are huge and always changing and most of the products sell themselves. The clothing has vastly caught on and I have people asking me for it now!

Cons

You must love travel....It's not really a con, just be aware of it! You will not be sitting at home in front of your computer being successful with it. Get a GPS and get out there!!

Great opportunity for hard-working, self-motivated individuals

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Giftcraft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This job is great for someone who wants to write their own schedule. Customers love our products and the company continues to release new product on a regular basis.

This is one of the most simplistic jobs I have ever had. Make sure you have a full calendar of appointments, see customers everyday, write orders and make an appointment to go back the next time. It is just that simple!

Cons

Always have a plan B. Sometimes customers have to rearrange their schedule or just can't make the appointment, in this job you mast have a plan to see other people when something changes on your calendar so you can write orders every day.

Keep hiring well qualified sales people that are willing to get up each day and do their job! Most importantly people that will have fun every day.

Great potential but management ruins the CEO's great vision

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I worked at Giftcraft full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The inside sales support staff are wonderful with support and efficiency. Top notch really.

Cons

Reviewing the current reviews tells you everything you need to know. Word got out with the onslaught of massive hiring and firings in 2014 and some of them posted here. The few positive recent postings are because there are some amazing sales talent whom I met at one of our meetings in the right geography, that deserve their success. But the dwindling number of top performers weekly means these are the exception and not reflective of the national sales force.
    One of the reviewers needs to look on the Giftcraft website. They are posting their territory as open.
    Territory development into a $500,000.00 annual sales volume or higher for a small city (1-2 million) takes time that you are not given, and you may start with half of that. There are many customers in multiple territories in my state that won't buy from Giftcraft again. Not because of quality- they have addressed some of these issues and retailers will try again with a good salesperson to give them confidence to do so- but the ultra high rep turnover really scares them off.
    There is a review from this summer that really eloquently nails the Giftcraft challenging experience. They are currently employed with them so no venting, just exact accurate analysis. The lack of analysis of sales numbers (LY vs TY) it is not even allowed to be discussed. They just want everyone to do the $500K no matter where you start at ( including starting at half of that) calling on independent retailers only - whom are just starting to recover from 2008 economic meltdown.
    There is a member of management who should not be in any people focused business. I have been out here in corporate department store sales and independent retailers for many years and I have never met someone as unprofessional and held in contempt by that many employees. "Ruthless and narrow minded" are the most common way to describe this member.
    Sales samples- terrible reflection of top items that should be carried in your car. But when a new launch happened this summer that we have to text the numbers in daily for -many of us did not receive those samples. But some did who have been with the company longer.

Get some management that understands you hired these self starters that actually enjoy cold calling and opening new accounts with a successful track record- so, let them work their magic and grow the business that the product development talent has worked so hard to develop.

Run the other way, do not give a second of thought!

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Giftcraft full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They do have some nice lines, but due to lack of corporate support to take care of customers and excessive sales person turnover, retailers don't support the lines.

Cons

Giftcraft will promise you the world and tell you how much money you are going to make. A majority of the product has 6 month lead times to ship. So they hire in lots of sales people who go out work hard to sell in for the next season. Then they will cut you loose after 6 months, but before the product ships and they keep the commissions you worked hard for. Welcome to the Giftcraft experience. I would encourage anyone to get hard numbers before they start (good luck) and speak to some retailers.

Sep 29, 2014CEO

Thank you for your review. It is the Giftcraft mandate to clearly communicate our company’s goals and expectations to our new sales professionals before they begin their role as Territory Sales ... More

Great till they tried to steal my accounts I developed

Former Employee - National Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - National Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Giftcraft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gary Polan is a sraight up guy.

Cons

Trevor is the most difficult person to work with

Retire

Sep 29, 2014CEO

Thank you for expressing your thoughts. If there is one thing in which we are in total agreement is that Gary Polan is a straight up guy! Although it may be your perception that I am difficult to ... More