Giftcraft

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Trevor Cohen

Started from the bottom and still there

Territory Sales (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsVariety of product. Great discount for reps on samples. Helpfulness of my regional and my gals at head office.

ConsMicromanagement and lack of communication which started with the new president of US Sales. Things weren't perfect before but my of my did he make it worse. Fear is what the sales force is running on. The reputation of Giftcraft has been brought back to the bottom.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an internal force run the sales force. Someone who can align the company goals with the hurdles of sales in the USA. Having a has been come out retirement was a mistake.

Great till they tried to steal my accounts I developed

National Sales (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGary Polan is a sraight up guy.

ConsTrevor is the most difficult person to work with

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Territory Sales

ProsLots of products and ability to set your own schedule. The company seems to be investing in technology and trying to get sales tools, programs and other aids up to todays standards.

ConsDesigners have little to no creativity. The products are copy cat items already in the market place. Hard to sell things customers feel they have already seen. The company is still overcoming a bad reputation for have poor quality merchandise.
    Training and communication with upper management is very weak. You are thrown into your territory and it's sink or swim! Bottom line, it's about the numbers so be ready to hit the pavement and make a lot of cold calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Regional Sales Managers are glorified sales reps. They might have been excellent reps but that doesn't make them good leaders, trainers or mentors. Provide more insight as to what direction the company is going, get sales reps pumped up about product, goals and future shows, events etc. More interaction! Keep your sales team engaged.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underwhelmed, Underpaid and Unsatisfied

Territory Manager (Former Employee)

Pros-HQ sales support staff and credit department are helpful, easy to work with and genuinely want to help with issues you have.
    -The fashion line is fresh and innovative and sells well in stores. Also any feedback from customers or employees, regarding the fashion line, is addressed and if possible, product changes are made based on suggestions.
    -Even with the company's less than stellar reputation, most retailers are genuinely interested in partnering if you put in the face time to cultivate a relationship.

Cons-Product is stale and poor quality. Claims to introduce new items more frequently than at other gift companies, but inconsequential since most items do not align with consumer and industry trends.

-Competitive companies are more strategic with their offerings by providing items that target the growing market for geographical and cultural specific products. Speaking from my personal experience, GC offers no products that appeal to this consumer demand present in states throughout the Southeast.

-No clear/specific sales goals or developmental expectations are set, by any level of management. Senior management speaks in vague, general terms of "exciting" and "innovative" products that will be released in the future.

-Management does not share the company's macro vision and strategy for any present or future time periods or address the role and responsibilities of the sales force within their plan. Do not expect any qualitative or quantifiable objectives to be addressed, for example, offerings that reflect emerging retail trends, additional product category launches, improved communication between departments, etc.

-When questions or concerns are raised regarding product, people or procedures, the favored response is to trust in decision makers because "they've been in this industry a long time." For example, when I asked why not all the letters of the alphabet were included in a new Monogram necklace collection, the answer I received was that I "shouldn't worry about that" because the company "researched" the "most popular" letters. Why, as a retailer, would I purchase this necklace collection when I can easily order a comparable set, that includes ALL letters, from another company that is the same price and quality?

-The territory sales rep role provides minimal opportunity for professional development or intellectual stimulation. Sales or product data for stores is not routinely provided or readily available, hence information that could be used to determine monthly call coverage and specific action plans in stores. Since there are limited quantifiable facts to utilize in discussions with customers, high-level selling conversations are virtually non-existent.

-Sales force is not informed of any widespread product quality issues, normally only becoming aware of issues once customers complain or ask where delayed shipments should arrive. Management, by either saying the products will be available when they're available or simply not returning requests for information, provide no time frame to tell customers when held-back products will be available, further aggravating them and embarrassing us.

-Commission structure set up so that majority of reps never see their earnings and allotted expense reimbursement amounts are laughable.

Advice to Senior Management-Canadian and American consumers want and buy different products, and not all American consumers want the same thing. Take a strategic approach and add diversity to the buying team-in terms of age, gender, nationality, geography, etc. Consult those who are actually in stores everyday, speaking to retailers and interacting with consumers in the field: your sales reps.

-If monthly commissions will not be paid in the expected and routine manner, inform the sales force of this change, especially when it could negatively affect the expected compensation amount. Each employee's financial situation is different, and the need to be paid in a consistent, predictable manner should be respected. The response, "Tell people to call me and I'll write them a personal check if they need the money so bad" is not only snide and condescending, but shows little regard for employees.

-Reevaluate the senior members of the US management team, or at the very least hold them accountable for the issues plaguing the sales force. As the number of "top performing" sales reps dwindles weekly, into the single digits, it's blatantly obvious the current leadership's strategy and direction is woefully inadequate. Unless changes are made, not only will the turnover rate continue to rise, but tenured quality sales reps will be driven away. As stated in "First Break All the Rules: What The Worlds’ Greatest Managers Do Differently", "People don't leave jobs, they leave managers".

-Allocate monetary resources where they are most needed; your sales force compensation. With the high turnover rates within the US division, why was money spent on unneeded technology (the Ipad) and not used to attract top talent?

-Examine the trends not just in the gift industry, expand your understanding Adjust and evolve the company culture to align with the modern business landscape. Transparency is the most important attribute Gen Y workers look for in potential employers. This group is the most sought after segment of the work force and companies who wish to stay viable are making changes to their traditional structure. If you continue to keep your employees in the dark, do not expect to attract high caliber talent or keep the few you have for long.

-Lastly, make sure any speaker hired to address your sales force doesn't compare a successful sales call to a relapse by an alcoholic. There are better ways to express the notion that customers become more willing, after ordering their first item, to add additional products to their order, other than "after the first sip, it becomes easier to drink more".

Was a google team type atmosphere a few years ago and then turned into a cold corporate money over people mentality.

Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsMassive amount of product, wide variety of retail markets to call on. At one time it was amazing place to work

ConsFamily owned, and arrogant with politics, lack of respect for the talent they have, constantly rewrite their compensation and pay rules without informing the reps who have a contract that does not have those changes.
    Company pays for no health insurance benefits and its very very expensive , Sold and shipped more than each previous year but took a pay loss the last 4 years due to quality and inability to fulfill orders by warehouse. micromanagement

Advice to Senior Managementfind a direction and stick with it instead of flip flopping around and making product that has already been made and is old hat with the retailers when you bring it out.

Great Opportunity

Territory Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat products that are updated regularly. Since I have come on board Giftcraft has added the CP Fashion line and YO Socks which have both helped bring in new dollars that were previously unavailable to me.

This is a good opportunity to build your own business (territory) - if you are expecting to walk into a ready made territory, work part time and just collect orders and make six figures then you are kidding yourself. Like any sales position in any industry, the TM position requires hard work and long hours.

This is a real job that requires 8 hours + per day. If you have a limited availability (small kids at home, day care issues, another job, unreliable transportation, social conflicts during the day) - THEN THIS JOB IS NOT FOR YOU! The flip side is that I control where I go, who I see, and how much I make. This is literally my own local business that I get to build from the ground up! I have experts to design, build, manufacture, and ship the product; a professional staff to bill and collect the revenue; somebody willing to pay me a salary and cover my expenses - and all I have to do is go out and sell to anyone I want to!

I have seen other territories have turnover - primarily due to lack of effort on the part of the rep. This is due to either burn out or lack of commitment to the level of effort that is required to become successful.

Yes, the Managers keep some of the higher volume accounts that they built (these are usually high maintenance accounts with complicated ordering requirements and demanding buyers) , but the rest of my geography is mine (hundreds and hundreds of square miles) for me to go out and find and build my own big accounts. For the most part - I can go anywhere and call on anyone! By building the relationships myself, those buyers will be loyal to me - not just the next rep who calls on them.

I have also found that the field management style is relaxed - provided you are working hard and putting forth the effort needed to be successful. Yes, if you are a slacker and don't work or produce then the hammer will come down on you - but that's the same at every sales position from the front counter of Burger King to selling high tech equipment. You are valuable in your position as long as you are bringing value (sales revenue) to the company. My experience is that the District and Regional Managers want you to be successful (your success is their success) and will bend over backwards if they feel you are working hard.

Paper work is moderate, but not burdensome. I complete my write up after every call and email it to the DM after my last call of the day. Total time 10-15 minutes. The reports are designed to assist the new reps and monitor progress. Again, anyone expecting no paperwork at all is kidding themselves! The requirements at GC is far less than I have experienced at other companies and in other industries.

Overall, a great company and a great opportunity!

ConsLack of response from the Home Office can sometimes be frustrating (My District Manager does a good job of fighting the bastards on behalf of the field sales team!)

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of qualifying your new hires - a pretty face does not necessarily mean that person will have the work ethic necessary to be successful.
    Take a look at the expense structure - specifically the per diem for meals and hotels.
    Address the internal issues that present road blocks to the field
    Continue with the excellent new product lines!

What a joke of a company!

Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsI really wish i had some, but I don't.

ConsUpper management is belittling, and degrading. This has to be one of the most extreme micro-managing companies. You will work yourself to death and not make any commission. They will change commission compensation, without any notice to the employees. Giftcraft, is not a professional company to work for at all Don't be fooled, by false promises… By attention to the reviews you see on here, because it's the truth!

Advice to Senior ManagementCalm down with the extreme micro-managing and you might keep some good employees.Take a look at what this is costing you to have to keep re-hiring for all the turnovers you all have.

Territory Manager - Great Lines - Horrible Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Lines including home decor, garden, jewelry, art, holiday, fashion and POP. The lines are very diverse allowing a sales rep multiple customer base options

ConsCustomer service is terrible which can end up costing great clients. The clients leave when Customers Service reps are rude over the phone. This happened all the time to me. It also made it very hard to get orders from previous customers. Spent way too much time territory building just to have these rude people in the Toronto office screw up the client relationship. Management is demanding and rude to reps as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport the Reps with customer service people that are gracious and friendly to our customers. And hire friendly decisive people for regional managers. The Trevor to be nice to Sales Reps instead of the degrading, demeaning stuff he spews at them.

Biggest Joke of my 25 year proffesional Senior Territory Sales Career!!! No money to be made!

Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a job during the slow economy times (if on unemployment stay on it as you make about the same on their draw) Some free samples that broke or fell apart in a short time (0ne reason why retail accounts stop buying after you open them up). Zero besides that.

ConsEverything! I had top retail gift sales experience before I worked at Giftcraft and before the econmy hit rock bottom. I worked with top chain gift buyers already, so after signing on I opened up more accounts then just about anybody. But the joke was on me, I made hardly anybmoney, never got out of the hole by being paid on their draw. My sales manager with even less experience then me, slid in and told me some bogus reason why they are going to be taking over my newly signed on big $ accounts. They were even accounts where the buying office was in my territory! They never would of had these accounts without my relationship with them! Seriously! Yeah sure, this is your terrirory go sale, what a joke! The old Giftcraft sales managers that are in place just kept stealing newly signed on employee found accounts. Once they have your large accounts and you start to find out you can't make your draw with mom and pop gift stores, they let you go! Never work on a draw, you will never get out of the hole with the small accounts and their unsatisfactory or non existent inventory on advertised product does not ship. Also, with small accounts and high cancellations the entire order will not ship when it falls under a certain dollar amount with the added cancellations, which means no commmision paid to you!!! You won't know what order canceled out for that month on your territory and so your ridiculous monthly draw is not ever made! Gas is also high, you recieve nothing for your time! Your in the hole over and over based on their cancellations and Not because of your selling or long hours in the field, there is No money to be made! Haha, Jokes on YOU!

Advice to Senior ManagementI just saw the earlier May reveiw entry before mine "Great Oppurtunity". Obviously, Giftcraft sales managers/HR are trying their hardest to pretend they are territory reps when they wrote these fake positive reviews for this sight. Don't be fooled! There is so many negative reasons why you would never want to work for this company! Really, take the time to read all the negative reviews from REAL professional employees that also wasted their time working 50+ hours against a draw. I am a very dedicated, award winning sales professional and I wasted a year of my sales career thinking it might get better. Yes they advertise new product but it cancels out or is damaged, which brings your commissions down and your draw not acheived! Even if your new in sales, move on to a honest company with at least a base pay plus commision! Don't be suckered in from their snicky tactics! And yes, the owner Trevor Cohen is a real jerk, I saw his hot head temper belittle many company employees at meetings, that just tells you what type of company he runs. Very disappointed I spent any time at this company, please don't do the same. So much happier I moved on and doing very well financially in sales! I'm really glad to see this website, helps us all put the joke back on them!

Not what I expected.

Territory Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home, make your own schedule, different atmosphere everyday! Gift industry is fun and exciting. Helping customers grow their business.

ConsWhere to begin? The list is endless! The base salary is low and based on a level system depending on how much you sell. The problem with this is that product is always out of stock. You have to sell double to get a decent shipment to the customer. Customers are leery of doing business because they either don't receive orders or it comes in broken. It is nearly impossible to get commission and the company wants to see immediate results. It takes time to build relationships and trust but you are given 3 months to prove yourself. The car allowance does not cover all the miles that you drive and the hotel per diem is a joke. There is no meal reimbursement when you have to travel out of town either. The managers micromanage and the paperwork is just busy work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a decent base salary. Give your reps a year to build the territory, reimburse for their hotel rooms not just a portion and pay for meals when they are staying out of town. Also, better training would be helpful. Some of the managers are terrible and really need to work on their professional skills.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Giftcraft? Contribute to the Community!