Gigamon Reviews

Paul Hooper

1. Featured Review

Gigamon - phenomenal turnaround

I have been working at Gigamon

Pros

Execs are top notch, great execution, values & focus.
    Coworkers are very easy to get along, employee recognition and numerous unbeatable benefits.
    Great opportunity to grow within.

Cons

No cons that I can think of, compensation is top notch and good culture.

Mar 17, 2015CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective on Gigamon; we have built something really exciting and it is the collective focus and our culture that will drive our success.

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Gigamon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Gigamon because of the dynamic environment. People are actively engaged and want to see each other succeed. My manager provides active mentorship. I am very confident in my ability to earn future promotions & advance my career.

Cons

Working through post-IPO transition. The leadership team is changing skill sets to focus on evolving needs. There has been some internal tumoil, but the company is focused and ready for continued growth.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on improving internal tools and internet.

3. Gigamon -- great place to work

Current Employee - Engineering in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Gigamon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of positives about Gigamon. First, and foremost, there are A LOT of great people in this company, in ALL parts of the company. Lots of talented, hard-working and dedicated people. The company has come a long way in the last year and in my opinion are on a great growth path both in terms of revenues and in terms of maturing as an organization. I think the company has one of the most talented and up-and-coming CEOs in the valley, and a strong executive team that are aligned and energized behind him.In engineering, where I work, there are a lot of very talented engineers with great attitudes. Overall, I think Gigamon is a great place to work, and has great potential for the future.

Cons

No real cons that I can think of.

Hit or Miss

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Gigamon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Decent Salary, Good Opportunity, Good work, provided food, gym, great individuals,

Cons

Misuse the hard working, Lack of leadership in middle management, False or no expectations from Management

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the hardworking and provide them with growth, pay, and/or recognition. There is inequality in certain parts of the company where individuals with manager titles do not have expectations and "work from home" with no communication once they leave the building whereas there are hardworking individuals doing management work and picking up slack from other individuals are not being recognized. Gigamon is filled with young talent and great people, who have the opportunity to be innovators, collaborators, and leaders but there seems to be a political aspect breaching.

6. Good and Bad individuals

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Gigamon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Bonus
    Food
    Technology
    Company placing more focus on employee experience
    Smart and dedicated people
    Lean teams who have great pros:
    - NPI team is small but coordinated, Hardware team works hard, Supply team is dedicated, Purchasing is accommodating, Finance is hardworking, QA members are looking to help, Diag team is creative
    New management is good talent but need to be synchronized

Cons

Many under qualified individuals in other departments
    There are hardworking members in all departments but there are also other departments where support is based on who you work with:
    - Software team is disgruntled, Manufacturing Commodity does not provide support, QA is busy, Manufacturing is small
    Many unsatisfied employees
    Expectations are not set equally

Advice to Management

Pay attention to those who are not satisfied, they know the truth. Many people stay quiet or fake satisfaction to stay off the radar. Those who are leaving, do not agree with reviews, or are angered will help benefit the company. I know of a few fellow co-workers who are what I listed and the communication from Management and up does not occur.

Mar 17, 2015CEO

I appreciate you sharing; come and talk to me ..

OK company to work for if you are NOT in engineering

I have been working at Gigamon

Pros

work life balance, decent annual stock grant and bonus(when the earning is good). good benefits and perks. Company is working on improving employee morale.

Cons

If you are an engineer, don't join unless you are related to the upper, middle management, or you have no other choice.
    1. small niche market, no innovation any more. upper, middle engineering management focus on 'discipline people', instead of inspiring, encouraging people.
    2. Hiring process has some holes. There is case that the candidate is very unqualified and every person who interviewed him gave bad feedback, but still the person was brought in, with manager's title, because he is related to the top engineering management. Even now, people's feedback on this person is ' he is doing nothing', such hiring hurts the company's interest a lot, and there are other similar cases. HR should have strict rule of who should be the interviewer and what's the minimum requirement for a candidate to pass the interview.
    3. middle management hijack/manipulate performance review.
    4. extra level of mid engineering management. They exist either doing nothing, or make engineers life miserable. work will still get done, maybe better, without them.

Advice to Management

Upper, middle engineering management is the one that needs to be disciplined, not the engineers.

8. Great team spirit with excellent products

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Gigamon (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best gems in silicon valley. Great senior team that is focused on their people and the success of the company. Excellent products...and a gorilla in their market-space. Free lunches for all HQ members. Great environment to grow within.

Cons

Honestly cannot find any cons at this time. Will keep on looking......

Really good company to work for

I have been working at Gigamon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Great company with a phenomenal opportunity in front of it!
    + Excellent products
    + Company went through a tough 1H in 2014 but has come out stronger-- has made a sincere attempt to foster a collaborative culture across the whole organization that is resonating very well

Cons

Hard to think of any ... I have seen some not-so-positive remarks posted on Glassdoor but honestly find it hard to believe they are referring to Gigamon! This is a company where if you have the drive to make an impact, you can do that.

company

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Gigamon

Pros

very good benefit, and a very friendly work environment, co workers are very easy to get alone, location in Sunnyvale is also a plus.

Cons

managements do not know how to manager engineers, the salary is lower, but the their benefit are extreme good on its 401K match up.

Advice to Management

try to talk to engineer more.

Mar 17, 2015CEO

I'm always willing to listen, and I would like to hear from you. As you suggest ... come and talk to me.

Great company Gone bad

Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Gigamon

Pros

Nice Engineers to work with.

Cons

Initially Gigamon offered a good working environment, things went from bad to worse, especially when the company went IPO and the employees got the short end of the bargain with the stock reverse split and cashing out of PUPs.

Advice to Management

Retain talent within the company.