Gigamon Reviews

Paul Hooper

1. Featured Review

Gigamon - phenomenal turnaround

I have been working at Gigamon

Pros

Execs are top notch, great execution, values & focus.
    Coworkers are very easy to get along, employee recognition and numerous unbeatable benefits.
    Great opportunity to grow within.

Cons

No cons that I can think of, compensation is top notch and good culture.

Mar 17, 2015CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective on Gigamon; we have built something really exciting and it is the collective focus and our culture that will drive our success.

2. Good and Bad individuals

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Gigamon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Bonus
    Food
    Technology
    Company placing more focus on employee experience
    Smart and dedicated people
    Lean teams who have great pros:
    - NPI team is small but coordinated, Hardware team works hard, Supply team is dedicated, Purchasing is accommodating, Finance is hardworking, QA members are looking to help, Diag team is creative
    New management is good talent but need to be synchronized

Cons

Many under qualified individuals in other departments
    There are hardworking members in all departments but there are also other departments where support is based on who you work with:
    - Software team is disgruntled, Manufacturing Commodity does not provide support, QA is busy, Manufacturing is small
    Many unsatisfied employees
    Expectations are not set equally

Pay attention to those who are not satisfied, they know the truth. Many people stay quiet or fake satisfaction to stay off the radar. Those who are leaving, do not agree with reviews, or are angered will help benefit the company. I know of a few fellow co-workers who are what I listed and the communication from Management and up does not occur.

Mar 17, 2015CEO

I appreciate you sharing; come and talk to me ..

Hit or Miss

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Gigamon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Decent Salary, Good Opportunity, Good work, provided food, gym, great individuals,

Cons

Misuse the hard working, Lack of leadership in middle management, False or no expectations from Management

Pay attention to the hardworking and provide them with growth, pay, and/or recognition. There is inequality in certain parts of the company where individuals with manager titles do not have expectations and "work from home" with no communication once they leave the building whereas there are hardworking individuals doing management work and picking up slack from other individuals are not being recognized. Gigamon is filled with young talent and great people, who have the opportunity to be innovators, collaborators, and leaders but there seems to be a political aspect breaching.

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Gigamon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I joined Gigamon because of the dynamic environment. People are actively engaged and want to see each other succeed. My manager provides active mentorship. I am very confident in my ability to earn future promotions & advance my career.

Cons

Working through post-IPO transition. The leadership team is changing skill sets to focus on evolving needs. There has been some internal tumoil, but the company is focused and ready for continued growth.

Keep focusing on improving internal tools and internet.

6. Gigamon -- great place to work

Current Employee - Engineering in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Gigamon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of positives about Gigamon. First, and foremost, there are A LOT of great people in this company, in ALL parts of the company. Lots of talented, hard-working and dedicated people. The company has come a long way in the last year and in my opinion are on a great growth path both in terms of revenues and in terms of maturing as an organization. I think the company has one of the most talented and up-and-coming CEOs in the valley, and a strong executive team that are aligned and energized behind him.In engineering, where I work, there are a lot of very talented engineers with great attitudes. Overall, I think Gigamon is a great place to work, and has great potential for the future.

Cons

No real cons that I can think of.

OK company to work for if you are NOT in engineering

I have been working at Gigamon

Pros

work life balance, decent annual stock grant and bonus(when the earning is good). good benefits and perks. Company is working on improving employee morale.

Cons

If you are an engineer, don't join unless you are related to the upper, middle management, or you have no other choice.
    1. small niche market, no innovation any more. upper, middle engineering management focus on 'discipline people', instead of inspiring, encouraging people.
    2. Hiring process has some holes. There is case that the candidate is very unqualified and every person who interviewed him gave bad feedback, but still the person was brought in, with manager's title, because he is related to the top engineering management. Even now, people's feedback on this person is ' he is doing nothing', such hiring hurts the company's interest a lot, and there are other similar cases. HR should have strict rule of who should be the interviewer and what's the minimum requirement for a candidate to pass the interview.
    3. middle management hijack/manipulate performance review.
    4. extra level of mid engineering management. They exist either doing nothing, or make engineers life miserable. work will still get done, maybe better, without them.

Upper, middle engineering management is the one that needs to be disciplined, not the engineers.

8. Great team spirit with excellent products

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Gigamon (less than a year)

Pros

One of the best gems in silicon valley. Great senior team that is focused on their people and the success of the company. Excellent products...and a gorilla in their market-space. Free lunches for all HQ members. Great environment to grow within.

Cons

Honestly cannot find any cons at this time. Will keep on looking......

Great Product direction, inexperienced CxO

I worked at Gigamon

Pros

Product, technologies, engineering and support are excellent ! Strong customer base and large market share. Simple hierarchy and happy working atmosphere.... all gone in 2013.

Cons

Inexperienced CxO, lack of strategic leadership capability. Pretending to be a large corporate, expand the company in short time but not effective. Too many idle middle management level.

True suggestion and advice never reach top management, they only listen praise word. Everything in first class doesn't make Gigamon success. Change a more capable leader.

company

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Gigamon

Pros

very good benefit, and a very friendly work environment, co workers are very easy to get alone, location in Sunnyvale is also a plus.

Cons

managements do not know how to manager engineers, the salary is lower, but the their benefit are extreme good on its 401K match up.

try to talk to engineer more.

Mar 17, 2015CEO

I'm always willing to listen, and I would like to hear from you. As you suggest ... come and talk to me.

Gigamon went down Quickly after IPO. No Direction .Engineering Organization is a Big Disaster.

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Gigamon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Nice ,Friendly and knowledgeable Lower Level Engineers.
    - Some Managers are really Good(barely 1 or 2).
    - Solid Product with very large scope of market.
    - Nice Salary and Free Lunch/Dinner.

Cons

- Gigamon has no direction on what is next? , there is a big security market need to cover.
    - Engineering organization is a big disaster.upper engineering management has no idea what is going on.
    - big numbers of engineers renounced their jobs because of ill-mannered,unpredictable and illogical behavior of upper engineering management.
    - Engineering Management is doing plenty of secretive operations that engineers are totally unaware of them.

- Just read the glassdor review what current/former employees are saying. they are writing on glassdor because the system set by gigamon is not listening,inaccessible and behave like dictator.
    - Retrospect that why engineers left gigamon in a big number?(Is this a problem with some specific person?)
    - Do not make environment where engineers are not thinking freely.
    - Remove the fearsome environment that every engineer in gigamon is feeling now.(If you dont trust me, Please take internal Survey about it).