Gila River Indian Community Reviews

1. Housekeeping

Former Employee - Housekeeping in Maricopa, AZ
    Former Employee - Housekeeping in Maricopa, AZ

I worked at Gila River Indian Community

Pros

Great people liked the people

Cons

Advice to Management

Hire more full time people Not enough hours. Really need to hire a lot more full time people. It's a great place to work at

2. Registered Nurse Public Health Field Supervisor

Former Employee - Registered Nurse Public Health Field Supervisor in Ak-Chin Village, AZ

I worked at Gila River Indian Community

Pros

I loved my job working among the Indians of the TOHONO O'ODUM Tribe. This position was the most rewarding position I have held in all 17 years of nursing.

Cons

I have no cons. Working for Gila River, the CNO, my fellow co workers and my director were awesome. I just wish I could have stayed, but my family need at home now and I need to return home. My husband died in February and I have no one here in Arizona that is family so therefore, it is time to return home and to a different realm of nursing.

Advice to Management

Visit your Public Health Nurses more often. Understand that so many of our nurses that work in the field are faced with many obstacles and despair when we work so hard to help those patients that need us so desperately. Recognize that we give 110% to our patients and are genuinely compassionate and giving of themselves to help others

3. G.R.I.C. is helpful for the tribal members in upgrading business with today's business world.

Former Employee - Data Entry/Customer Service in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Data Entry/Customer Service in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Gila River Indian Community full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Community is always striving for success everyday.

Cons

Making changes in every assets. Upgrading is a slow process. But will be done for the Community.

Advice to Management

To on striving to better the community.

Very Dysfunctional organization

I worked at Gila River Indian Community

Pros

Good place to work for Community Members

Cons

Non Native employees are not afforded the same treatment as Community members

They Follow Their Own Set of Laws (Sovereign Nation)

I worked at Gila River Indian Community full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits - as long as you can tough-out the rude, hateful, discriminatory attitudes of all the tribal employees you'll end-up being outnumbered by (if you happen to be white, black, or from any tribe outside of their own).

Cons

If you are not a Tribal Member, your work will be continuously scrutinized (no matter how impeccable it is) and you will be given an over-load of responsibilities so that you ultimately end-up quitting from the stress of it all. This way, they can hire the 2nd- or 3rd-place applicants who were also interviewed for the job you were hired for. Usually, those 2nd & 3rd choices happen to be Tribal Members... but they were not as qualified as you, which is why they weren't hired - but they're "in" as soon as you give up & quit. That's the game that's played time and time again - I worked there long enough to witness it on a regular basis. Their grievance policy is more for "show" and not for actual empathy toward non-tribal members. Since it's their court, they'll defend themselves at all costs and do whatever it takes to win the war, if it will benefit their own members in the end.

Advice to Management

None that they would heed or even bother to concern themselves with.

Employee Benefit Representative

Former Employee - Clerical Support in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Clerical Support in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Gila River Indian Community full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

hours are good Mon - Fri 8 am to 5 pm.

Cons

Employees gossip in every dept. needs to stop.

Advice to Management

get rid of her stress and be nice. She is a moody person with a bad attitude. If she does not like you good luck.

I was the accountant for the Cultural Resources Management Department.

Former Employee - Accountant in Sacaton, AZ
    Former Employee - Accountant in Sacaton, AZ

I worked at Gila River Indian Community full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees were laid back and friendly and allowed me to work with little supervision.

Cons

The commute was 109 miles per day (through Phoenix during rush hour).

Very high turnover rate in all departments is a sign of ineffective management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Gila River Indian Community

Pros

Decent health benefits kick in after first year. Management is slowly making strides to treat employees better. some very nice people work here.

Cons

Only pays 80% of market median for all wages and refuse to budge. Hiring leans towards nepotism and favortism. lots of red tape. exeuctive management treats lower level employees like idiots and does not want them to speak out of turn. hourly employees can't have ot without being approved by the director. lunch room full of flies. attendance points system applied to those wo fall out of favor with maangement. new hire orientation classes every two weeks is a bad siggn

Advice to Management

listen to your people. there is a reason why some many people quit or don't even show up for first da of work

RSS Feed </> Embed