Gilardi & Co. Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
2.1

Peter L. Crudo

A place that rewards hard work and a good attitude.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Gilardi & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I agree with one of the other reviewers that the work is interesting. You are just one piece of the larger machine that is working to get money to people who (allegedly in most cases) have been wronged, and that is something to be proud of. Also, the culture of the company is enticing. If you work hard and exhibit a good attitude, you are generally appreciated by those around you, both at the same level and in management.

The company is also immensely supportive of its employees and their personal lives. The owner said once that they realize we have families outside of Gilardi, and they really do work to let our families be our #1 priority. While there isn't official "flex scheduling", management has always been willing to allow me to re-arrange my schedule to make doctor appointments, kids performances, family gatherings, etc.

The company gatherings are also nice. We usually have a summer picnic (& Bocce Ball tournament in recent years), Christmas Party, and 4th of July & Memorial Day BBQs (the last two are on-site).

Cons

There seems to be a pretty big turnover rate. Not just with temporary employees, but throughout the company.

Management is very concerned (it seems overly concerned sometimes) about the bottom line. I know we've got to stay in business, but I am sure we make enough to keep us afloat, even to pay some pretty hefty management salaries (though to be clear, I haven't seen any numbers), so I think they could relax a bit on that point.

Overall, I think management is headed in the right direction with Gilardi. However, I would encourage them to focus more on the satisfaction of the individual employees - look into new and creative ways to make us excited about our jobs and our work environment. Management tends to think inside the box a bit too much and could take some notes from the way the tech companies are handing their employees. Just a few ideas are a more stocked kitchen (free food is always a good motivator), better parking for all employees, flex scheduling, and company-sponsored childcare. A happy employee is going to be a better employee, that's just the way it is.

Toxic Work Environment

Current Employee - Director in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Gilardi & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

25 cent sodas in the vending machine. Free ice cream.

Cons

The Company is having financial trouble. The payroll service backed-out everyone's pay check from their bank account and checks had to manually issue checks. Their vendors are not providing services unless they are paid up-front, usually by someone's credit card. People are being asked to take time off without pay. Management at the staff level has no management experience. Lay-offs are frequent and conducted in a morally degrading way. The parking in the neighborhood is impossible and the neighborhood is dangerous. Only a few people below a Director are provided parking in the building.

Put the owner back in charge.

Soul crushing is an understatement.

Current Employee - N/A in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Gilardi & Co. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I agree with the other posts here, but while the director of securities may be most qualified for her job, I do not agree she is a good manager. I think she exhibits the exact same behavior as the description of the other senior managers. I can also say that although the environment is bad right now, there is job security.

Cons

Senior management only engages when there is a mistake and more oftten than not, does not single out the correct group or individual. Likewise goes for praise, it is rare and almost always misplaced because management does not seem to care. Like many companies certain individuals can do no wrong so usually it is an underling accepting blame for something more important than their salary would justify as their responsibility. Benefits are not adequate for a company this size, advancement seems non-existent, the building is in a bad location, there is no parking for most employees except on the street, and management will only acknowledge your presence if you're related or you made a mistake.

The company needs unity and a town hall every couple of months in a dark room staring at a PowerPoint presentation doesn't do it.

Bad Management, Bad Compensation, Bad Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Gilardi & Co.

Pros

None, really... Except for the Director of Securities. She is great.

Cons

Poor communication. None of the management care about their employees (except for Securities Director, who is the only redeeming factor of the company). The Management/Directors are mostly attorneys and are very pompous and cocky. They think they know how to manage, but all they do is sit in their office all day and work on their computer. They say their door is always "open", but this is just not true. If you ever want to talk to them, they barely listen and nothing will come of your suggestions or concerns.

Stick to being attorneys. Managing people is not your strong point and by acting like you know how, you're just hurting the people that work for you and are making their lives miserable.

Your initial response to this is probably, "If they don't like it, they can find another job." But this is what is wrong with your management style. Employees are the most valuable asset to any company and it is important that you treat them with respect. Do this not only for the good of the company, but for yourself as a human being.

Gilardi & Co. LLC = Awful.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Gilardi & Co.

Pros

The work that Gilardi and Co. does is very interesting. Thinking that you are doing good work for someone who has been wronged is something to bring you back each day.

Cons

This company is shameful. The management who took over about four years ago has really brought the company down for the majority of the employees. In the days past, it was always us against the world. We were a big team. There were very stressful moments, but we all knew that we were fighting the good fight. The owner used to be involved with the people, knowing everyone, spending time giving us ice cream and making us feel like we were a team. Now, he is never there, and he doesn't care. The CEO and other management only cares about each other, and not the "common" people. They show they are elite and stay in their offices talking to each other and not involving the rest of us.

The Management fosters a back stabbing CYA environment. Everyone has to spend more time making sure they have a complete backup, and less time trying to work with each other as a team. Rather than spending time trying to work together, people spend time looking for someone to blame for the issues that are most likely caused by them.

The latest problem is the best people are leaving. In the past 4 months, we have lost many of our best and brightest, and the crud just keeps sticking around. I guess I am one of the crud, but I am looking too.

Understand that what puts those millions in your pockets are the people that do the job every day. When we are doing a good job, tell us. Spend time with us to figure out what makes us tick. And if someone is a tattle tale, don't accept it. Tell them to find something constructive to do instead.

An honest and occasionally rewarding work experience

I have been working at Gilardi & Co. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gilardi is a traditional, private, family run company. The relatively small work force creates camaraderie with co-workers, assuming you are a pleasant person. The owner's hands on involvement is unique - he built the company from the ground up, and you can tell he really cares about his workers and the community. The wages are reasonable for each position, and there is always the generous Christmas bonus to look forward to. The management works hard to ensure everyone's voice is heard, and do a good job of boosting company morale through the Christmas party and numerous events they put on throughout the year. Plus, you get the satisfaction of helping people who have been wronged receive compensation. Overall, Gilardi is a solid place to work.

Cons

Like any company, communication between management and the work force could be improved upon - but it is in no way bad at the moment. Some people are difficult to work with, but once again that can be said about any office in the country. Gilardi has the same problems as any company, but there are no glaring or serious ones.

Keep it up, you are leading the company in the right direction.