Gilbarco

Updated February 8, 2015
Updated February 8, 2015

Martin Gafinowitz

QA

I worked at Gilbarco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started at a ridiculous low salary. To be fair to the company I did start at the bottom - where the responsibilities were not that hard. I know this is not the case for others - but I was able to move to better jobs - which made my work enjoyable - an increase of pay followed. When I left - I feel my pay was fair - and I loved my job. I loved all of my jobs there.

Cons

I have been away from the company for a while - but from what I hear - nothing within QA has changed. They go through layoffs every-so-often and favoritism plays a role in who gets to keep their job. At times, it has nothing to do with who stays, but who they want to leave. If leadership decides they just don't like you, or you are a threat to get a job they want someone else to have, etc - you are put on the 'you are a bad employee' list. When you know you have layoffs around December - all you have to do is put lies in a HR file - and let them go. Once someone leaves, they rarely go back - so no one is any wiser.

I am rating your company 'Neutral' only because the company itself was not bad to me - but the leadership was. To me the company rates 4-5, QA leadership rates 1-2, so I will use an average of 3. My advice is to look at the heads of your departments from time to time.

Good life balance but boring industry and company slow to make decisions

Former Employee - Project Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Gilbarco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance and seems to have good benefits for most workers.

Cons

Office culture isn't exciting but isn't poisonous. Most people go about their business but it's not social. My boss didn't know the name of the woman who worked in the cubicle outside his office. That was a sign for me to leave. Culture reminded me of working in government.

Create more opportunities for employees to work cross-functionally and build relationships outside of their reporting chain. Company seems stuck in the 80s - consider innovation or have Danaher sell the company and move on.

The senior leader focuses on short term results. Employees are treated poorly and not recognized or engaged.

Former Employee - Mid to Upper Level Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Mid to Upper Level Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Gilbarco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great processes and tools (although they aren't often used). DBS is worth learning to deploy at your next job. Compensation and benefits are average. People are generally good to work with but are often looking outside.

Cons

Very poor employee morale. Work-life balance is horrible. Should be plenty of opportunity for growth but most people dont want to stay - turnover is fairly high among the better employees. No investment (capital) in basic business needs such as facility maintenance and workspace. Finance controls all spending and doesn't approve without clear and immediate payback. Behavior borders on unethical relative to sales tactics and revenue recognition.

Take a longer term view and recognize the contributions that associates are making. Compensation isn't the main issue, recognition and feeling appreciated is. Allow associates to take pride in their work by giving them a say in how it is performed.

No Future Vision

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Gilbarco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Reasonable Work Hours - Pressured to work all you can, but they don't say anything if you leave on time either.
    Competitive Benefits
    Greensboro - I love the location and what I have with the cost of living.

Cons

Too busy with the present to think about the future. No resources placed for true engineering necessities.
    Constantly putting schedule ahead of quality despite preaching Quality Cost Delivery.

Let management underneath you manage the people instead of answering to upper management.

Gilbarco - a tough place to work

Former Employee - Marketing in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Gilbarco

Pros

Compensation is competitive
    Danaher business system (where applied) is very good

Cons

Work/life balance is poor.
    Sr. management is indecisive.
    Quarterly focus usually trumps the "right" thing for the business.

Listen.

Gilbarco: Good place to work

Current Contractor - SQA
    Current Contractor - SQA

I have been working at Gilbarco as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great training and support from co workers and managers.

Cons

Looking for short term results

No respect for associates

I worked at Gilbarco full-time

Pros

Good opportunity to be introduced to lean. Most people in the business are great to work with. Benefits are ok.

Cons

Management is an absolute joke. Completely political and no one cares for the associates. Annual employee survey never yields any results. Managers asked to improve results but impossible because the problem is with senior management especially leadership in sales and finance. Would never recommend this place to anyone. I left without another opportunity because I just couldn't take it anymore

Create an environment where people can openly discuss their issues and not feel like they will be persecuted for it. Invest in your employees and their futures. Creating a loyal workforce will solve many of your problems.

This is a very structured organization.

Current Employee - Assembly in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Assembly in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Gilbarco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This organization has veteran employees who love to perform at a high level of productivity. This is a very structured organization.

Cons

There is a an atmosphere of division between management and hourly workers. This may be due to the fact that there is a union at Gilbarco.

The management should take a human relations approach instead of the traditional administrative approach. When workers are treated as adults workers will demonstrate an internal motivation of high productivity. The use of pedagogical strategies by management actually is counter productive. Management should use the andragogical strategy of facilitation and incorporate the values and opinions of the employees. This will increase productivity.

Good place to work.

I have been working at Gilbarco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is competitive. Benefits are good.

Cons

Danaher is all about the bottom line and doesn't seem to care about the employees but rather their investors. Too much overtime especially during the end of the quarter.

Needs to invest in equipment to keep up with demand rather than relying on old tired machines. If we had more equipment, we could reduce the amount of overtime worked.

Gilbarco used to be a Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Project Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Gilbarco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Gilbarco used to be a great Company before they got so concerned about the numbers every quarter. The only good remaining item is that they do allow for work/life balance.

Cons

Gilbarco is very quick to lay people off. Several times I saw good people that have done very well at other companies let go because they were used as an executive scapegoat, happen to be on the wrong project at the wrong time or simply to make the quarterly numbers. They do not appreciate nor care about hanging onto to experienced people. they hardly ever look to advance people from within the company.

Pay attention to those blaming employees for things going wrong. I have seen it too many times were people were blamed and let go then drastic changes were made after the people left to cover it up. Once the people are gone and drastic changes were made on the management side, it was hard to see were the real problem was.

Gilbarco Photos

Gas pump assembly line. The facility is massive.

+ Add Photo