Gilead Sciences

www.gilead.com

Gilead Sciences Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Gilead Sciences – Edmonton – “Gilead Alberta ULC”

Gilead Sciences Chairman & CEO John C. Martin

John C. Martin

Pros
  • They also have many great benefits though not anything extremely special(in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits, stock performing well so far(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No consistent respect for work/ life balance leading to employee "burn-out"(in 21 reviews)

• No work-life balance (no life period)(in 7 reviews)

If you are willing to work hard, there are opportunities

ProsGreat pipeline, fast-moving, less bureaucratic than Big Pharma, flat hierarchies so lots of exposure to senior management

ConsHigh workload, slow to adopt technological innovation, tendency of management to micromanage

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace innovation and trust your employees to make good decisions

Great company, be prepared to pull up your sleeves

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsSatisfying mission, great people, great products, cool work environment

ConsDecisions changing too often tank projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo deeper analysis on study viability before launch

Awesome

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

Pros-You work with bright, driven people
    -Your work helps save lives
    -The company has stellar leadership
    -The growth rate is exciting and exhilerating

Cons-If you're looking for work-life balance, look elsewhere
    -Most employees are pretty shy so it can take awhile to meet people

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't rest on your laurels, there are still scientific barriers to be overcome and you'll need to continue to make bold, but intelligent, moves to stay ahead of the competition

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Middle management complacent and untrained

ProsGood benefits and important mission.

ConsManagement bred from within. Company tenure matters and there is little acceptance of new/outside ideas. Definitely old white boy management and "cute" young sales force.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ride on your laurels....the competition is nipping at the heels.

Learned alot and still learning, there is more to learn when it come to R&D.

Associate Scientist (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

Proswhen you come to work you feel proud by making some differences for people who has less hope or no hope in their life (HIV inf.ed people)

Consnone that i think of

worst company to work for

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsI had to really really think of something to write here, but i dont think there is any thing to write......at this point even monetary benefits seem useless.

ConsHeavy politics, favoritism, excessive work, and no work life balance. They make you work like a dog. if you question them, they will make every effort to make your life extremely uncomfortable. Human Resources is a puppet!

Phenomenal Vision/Products, Toxic Management

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsThe company's pipeline and acquisition-fueled penetration into new therapeutic areas is incomparable. I don't know where the HIV pandemic would be now without Gilead. The R&D folks are the best in the industry, and their research substantiates their ability to meet global epidemiological crises. Kudos to Gilead for meeting a worldwide challenge that other biopharmas were loathe to take on.

ConsAnachronistic, title-aware and oblivious to life-work balance. There is an odd propensity to assign complex tasks to untrained or inexperienced roles, and trivial tasks to senior roles. The claim to be lean is counterintuitive, as the overhead associated with mismatched talent to task surely costs more than truly being lean. Middle management is unfortunately the worst in perpetuating this mindset, as they are the worst trained of them all.

And, building on previous reviews, yes, it is a clique-driven culture. Old-boys network, and sorority-flavored among the women. There is an inclination to hire young interns, with a brainwashing philosophy. Very old-school, as new ideas from folks coming from other cultures with new ideas are often sent down the hall or let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being a frat house, and assume the new ethos of recognizing a changing workplace, especially in the Bay Area, where there is so much opportunity to share ideas.

Runs lean

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSince Gilead takes great pride in "running lean", you will get more experience than you could have ever hoped for. It is a great company to learn a ton, and use that knowledge and experience as leverage for your next endeavor.

ConsSince Gilead likes to "run lean", your workload will be more than your job title and salary. Future employers may question if you really did all of the work you claimed to have done on your resume. Be prepared to answer that question.

Gilead has opened many doors in the work world.

Safety Specialist (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsThe culture of Gilead is hard working and merit based. The perks of this company come in many.

ConsThere are not much cons I can think of about this company. Everyone works hard and it pays off.

Great people, great company

ProsExciting place to work: a lot of active candidate drugs

ConsLots of reviews: mid year, and end of year. They take up a lot of time

Worked for Gilead Sciences? Contribute to the Community!