Gilead Sciences
www.gilead.com Foster City, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Gilead Sciences Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
Gilead Sciences – Edmonton – “Gilead Alberta ULC”

Gilead Sciences Chairman & CEO John C. Martin

John C. Martin

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, stock performing well so far"
    in 10 reviews
  • "They also have many great benefits though not anything extremely special"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "poor work life balance for those who are effective at their roles"
    in 18 reviews
  • "No work-life balance (no life period)"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent experience at a great company!

Packaging Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Gilead Sciences as an intern for less than a year

ProsWorking at Gilead, I had the best boss I've ever had. He was always patient and willing to help me learn the new field I was just starting.

ConsSome of the upper management were tactless and had the tendency to call people out publicly for their weight at large meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining contractors is an investment that is wasted when they leave the company for more stable employment, taking the knowledge and experience with them. Please consider hiring your contractors full time.

Challenging with good benefits, but many cons

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than 5 years

ProsChallenging work environment. Intelligent scientific team. Great benefits.

ConsMicromanagement from the top down specifically in PDM department. Hindrance of innovation and growth of employees. No investment in mentoring and recognition. Antiquated systems. No consistent respect for work/ life balance leading to employee "burn-out". Management greatly suffers from a lack of transparency and openness about the "big picture" which hinders the level of investment, contribution, and loyalty employees have with projects. Hoarding information to maintain a sense of power and control is not conducive to a team environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust employees to execute the job they are educated for and paid to perform. Micromanaging is textbook...worst management style ever. It exhibits a lack of trust in your employees and systems. Invest in your employees to allow for personal and professional growth. Be more open to change and innovation as it will assist with reducing attrition.

Best Company in the World

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorld class senior management, rich drug pipeline, passionate employee dedication, and sheer overall talent.

ConsWhere's the love?!? There are great, motivated, highly intelligent people all over campus, but there really isn't any sense of commraderie or murual respect. High powered, financially rewarding and stimulating, nonetheless....

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the halls....annouced and/or unannounced

Statistical Programmer

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences

ProsGood work culture and people oriented organization

ConsNo challenges as such very good organization

Good place to be in the bay area

Clinical Program Manager (Current Employee)
Foster City, CA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than a year

ProsLarge pipeline, stock, bonuses, co-workers are all very bright and lots to learn from other teams. The groups are growing and there are many drugs getting approval which helps keep people positive.

ConsOld school culture doesn't like to change, work from home not supported and is manager specific, no travel, have to fight to attend conferences.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible and listen to the needs of your employees.

Zero Culture but Successful Science pays off

Therapeutic Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat scientific leadership team has made some excellent product and market decisions.
Amazing upper management team. Average commercial team but straining under the growth and the "lean" mentality.

ConsWary of experienced employees, hates unsolicited feedback, gives managers free reign to push employees to the breaking point. Very little loyalty to sales team. Weak culture full of people trying to garner attention. Political "who you know" environment. High turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your people-ask your most successful people why they are successful instead of assuming you or one of your many worthless POA's are the reason.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Convert contractors..

Enterprise Service Desk (Current Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Gilead Sciences as a contractor for less than a year

ProsEasy to get along with colleagues.

ConsEveryone is a contractor. Impossible to become a full time employee.

Work Hard, Learn Lots, Then Find Another Company That Will Pay You What You're Worth

Senior Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- aggressive environment convinces employees to eliminate their social lives , commit themselves entirely to the company, and wait for their stock options to vest before hurrying to the next better-paying job

Cons- refusal to hire contractors in order to avoid paying out the recruiters and committing to full-time employee benefits
- very low salary compensation compared to other comparable companies
- bonuses and raises are practically negligible
- micro-management from managers who are overworked and not fit to manage people
- unprofessional upper-management not interested in contributing to a positive or nurturing work environment whatsoever
- the poison of politics lurks heavily in every department

Advice to Senior Management- take several courses on how to manage people before joining the Management team

Be Prepared

Non-management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMost employees are generally given a large amount of responsibility. You will do a lot and learn a lot. The company is on solid ground and should be financially fine for a number of years to come. The campus is nice. It's good to know that your are working on compounds that will actually go to market and help people out.

If you can survive it you will have made money on the retention side (stock/rsu/espp). I'd say about 50% of new hires don't last more than 2 years.

ConsTo get ahead you are expected to work any day, any time at a moments notice and be 'committed'. For the most part, that's how the company works and that is what is expected to be in management. This leads to a very high burn and churn rate of employees. A lot of knowledge and experience exits the door. Expect to work while on vacation.

Your line management constantly changes. It is difficulty to get any traction with your career. When your department management changes yearly, the goals and vision changes as well. Much of the time is spent in management transition periods.

The daily work is high paced and projects are understaffed. You also have to seriously watch your back at all times.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've never worked at a place where co-workers and the line management actively talk about the day they will leave. It is just surprising, even after being with the company a very long time.

Not much credit or notice is given to the employee that goes out of their way to help co-workers be successful. It takes a marquee assignment to get ahead. When team work is not rewarded it leads to co-workers not bothering to help each other. There is a lot of time spent watching your back. Also, the values at work award has turned political and doesn't necessarily correlate with performance.

Pay at least market average salaries to prevent needless turnover.

Very heavy on top...

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time for less than a year

Pros* company has a lot of products in the pipeline
* multiple hit products
* it is still growing

Cons* very heavy on top (e.g. a director has only two people to manage!)
* many people are in senior management position but not much people that do the actual work
* too much politics

Worked for Gilead Sciences? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gilead Sciences reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gilead Sciences CEO John C. Martin. All 145 reviews posted anonymously by Gilead Sciences employees.