Gilead Sciences

www.gilead.com

Gilead Sciences Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Gilead Sciences – Edmonton – “Gilead Alberta ULC”

Gilead Sciences Chairman & CEO John C. Martin

John C. Martin

Pros
  • They also have many great benefits though not anything extremely special(in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits, stock performing well so far(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No consistent respect for work/ life balance leading to employee "burn-out"(in 21 reviews)

• No work-life balance (no life period)(in 7 reviews)

Can be difficult

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsTime-off, medical benefits, ESPP, Great products, can be visionary

ConsImmature management, of course depends which group you are in.

Numbers, numbers, numbers

ProsThe company has a great pipeline and are currently selling great products. They pride themselves on pay for performance so if you do well, you will be nicely compensated.

ConsA lot of pressure to hit weekly numbers. It's hard to have your own opinion's on how to execute, they only want things done their way.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the good people you have working for you.

Good place

ProsGood pay and benefits overall

ConsCan be very busy at times but flexible hours

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lip Service is Not Becoming, and Company Misses Personnel Opportunities on its Doorsteps

Chemist (Current Employee)

ProsSalary and benefits are adequate. Opportunity to help society.

ConsSenior management is too much into itself vs. long-term corporate culture and needs. Some are also technically inferior.

Company misses opportunities with local job candidates. For example, an analytical chemistry mid-management position has been listed for two years. It seems management is not interested in filling the position or playing with candidates. Several of us know a candidate with 20+ years experience, with large pharma and biotech experience, residing in Mt. View-Los Altos area. In addition to discovering a new class of anticancer agents, she also has biotech experience in bioanalytical and analytical development, systems biology, and bioinformatics. Yet, every time she is considered internally, the decision is they want to pay cheaper. Some scientists internally would like to work with this candidate. This position has been posted for two years.

Another candidate was told post-interview, that he was passed over because they want to sponsor somebody for a visa so they will be more appreciative for a job and not be interested in a promotion.

Overall, the management is inconsistent in words and actions. The major concern is that encourages behaviors that are not conducive to collaborations.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to change its behaviors from "me, me, me" to "we together for the future"

Great Products, Bad Culture

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsThe company offers good healthcare benefits, compensation depends upon your level (lower level, bad compensation), lots of smart people who work hard, good stock benefits

ConsTerrible management who manage through fear. Make one mistake and it stays with you until your review. Poor advancement opportunities, especially in marketing. Expected to be on call 24/7.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop burning out your employees and offer more clear paths for advancement. Lead by inspiration and motivation instead of fear. You've got good people and you're going to lose them.

Great company! With a strong future.

Therapeutic Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsThere is great earning potential and a very strong pipeline of products. Their employee stock purchasing program is very strong as well.

ConsIts a lean company so depending on your sales division, sales people could feel over leveraged at times. However

Advice to Senior ManagementSmaller territories would be a plus.

So far so good

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsGreat team, great incentives, good location, good science

Conslittle behind on some newest technology

Gilead Sciences is a challenging, stimulating company, and I enjoy working here immensely!

Recruiter (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsFast-paced, self-driven, challenging, stimulating, lots of opportunity for growth

Conswork a lot, sometimes lacking in support functions, have to do a lot of leg work to hear communications at times

Advice to Senior Managementwould love it if in-house Talent Acquisition people could go FTE!!!

Great company, very poor work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsGilead has great product pipeline, great people, many opportunities... it has shown a tremendous growth over the years.

ConsGilead operates in an act then think mode, speed is more important than doing it right at the first time. Work overload is constant and expected and it leads to little to non-existing professional development. Short-sighted view (acting without thinking) has lead to poor and cumbersome systems that do not support the growth.

Learned a lot, but toxic environment

Associate Director (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsGroundbreaking products that are making a big difference. A great learning experience.

ConsThe office culture is toxic. You are surrounded by unhappy people who are competitive and not supportive (there is little culture/camaraderie). The attitude of upper management seems to be that the products are so great that you should be happy to have no work-life balance or ability to voice your opinion. They are proud of running "lean" which means everyone is overworked and burnt out.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your employees are unhappy and consider the importance of work-life balance in retaining good employees.

Worked for Gilead Sciences? Contribute to the Community!