Gilead Sciences

www.gilead.com

Gilead Sciences Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Gilead Sciences – Edmonton – “Gilead Alberta ULC”

Gilead Sciences Chairman & CEO John C. Martin

John C. Martin

Pros
  • They also have many great benefits though not anything extremely special(in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits, stock performing well so far(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No consistent respect for work/ life balance leading to employee "burn-out"(in 21 reviews)

• No work-life balance (no life period)(in 7 reviews)

81 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Can be difficult

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsTime-off, medical benefits, ESPP, Great products, can be visionary

ConsImmature management, of course depends which group you are in.

Great Products, Bad Culture

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsThe company offers good healthcare benefits, compensation depends upon your level (lower level, bad compensation), lots of smart people who work hard, good stock benefits

ConsTerrible management who manage through fear. Make one mistake and it stays with you until your review. Poor advancement opportunities, especially in marketing. Expected to be on call 24/7.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop burning out your employees and offer more clear paths for advancement. Lead by inspiration and motivation instead of fear. You've got good people and you're going to lose them.

So far so good

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsGreat team, great incentives, good location, good science

Conslittle behind on some newest technology

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gilead Sciences is a challenging, stimulating company, and I enjoy working here immensely!

Recruiter (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsFast-paced, self-driven, challenging, stimulating, lots of opportunity for growth

Conswork a lot, sometimes lacking in support functions, have to do a lot of leg work to hear communications at times

Advice to Senior Managementwould love it if in-house Talent Acquisition people could go FTE!!!

Great company, very poor work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsGilead has great product pipeline, great people, many opportunities... it has shown a tremendous growth over the years.

ConsGilead operates in an act then think mode, speed is more important than doing it right at the first time. Work overload is constant and expected and it leads to little to non-existing professional development. Short-sighted view (acting without thinking) has lead to poor and cumbersome systems that do not support the growth.

Learned a lot, but toxic environment

Associate Director (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsGroundbreaking products that are making a big difference. A great learning experience.

ConsThe office culture is toxic. You are surrounded by unhappy people who are competitive and not supportive (there is little culture/camaraderie). The attitude of upper management seems to be that the products are so great that you should be happy to have no work-life balance or ability to voice your opinion. They are proud of running "lean" which means everyone is overworked and burnt out.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your employees are unhappy and consider the importance of work-life balance in retaining good employees.

Challenging with good benefits, but many cons

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsChallenging work environment. Intelligent scientific team. Great benefits.

ConsMicromanagement from the top down specifically in PDM department. Hindrance of innovation and growth of employees. No investment in mentoring and recognition. Antiquated systems. No consistent respect for work/ life balance leading to employee "burn-out". Management greatly suffers from a lack of transparency and openness about the "big picture" which hinders the level of investment, contribution, and loyalty employees have with projects. Hoarding information to maintain a sense of power and control is not conducive to a team environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust employees to execute the job they are educated for and paid to perform. Micromanaging is textbook...worst management style ever. It exhibits a lack of trust in your employees and systems. Invest in your employees to allow for personal and professional growth. Be more open to change and innovation as it will assist with reducing attrition.

Never a dull moment!

Manager (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsExtremely fast-paced, many opportunities to learn new things and participate on projects/teams outside of your purview. Promotions sometimes don't come soon enough, but always thoughtfully considered and in line with company needs. I work with a group of people always willing to roll up their sleeves and help where needed.

ConsExtremely fast-paced. Sometimes feel like there aren't enough hours in the day to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

A culture of takers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsThey are doing great things for the world, their stock is doing well, they are growing

Consguilt for having work-life balance - no one is happy - no one smiles - no one gives their time or help - VERY high turn over - people just disappear - VERY heavy politics - just plain mean people

Advice to Senior ManagementRead Give and Take by Adam Grant. You have a sick sad culture cultivating.

Convert contractors..

Enterprise Service Desk (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsEasy to get along with colleagues.

ConsEveryone is a contractor. Impossible to become a full time employee.

Worked for Gilead Sciences? Contribute to the Community!