Gilfus Education Group

Stephen Gilfus

Typical Consulting Job

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gilfus Education Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Company is able to win a lot of interesting projects with a lot of big organizations. lots of influence over the education space.

Have heard complaints about job security. Its really only a problem if you arent a hard worker. If you are truely prepared to work as a consultant, then it is not a problem

Cons

Lots of travel. I work with 80% travel, so I dont have a true "office" environment. This is normal for most consultants, but took a little time for me to get used to.

Have noticed a wide gap in work ethic between employees with traditional business backgrounds and everyone else. Need better recruiters to find the right fit.

Terminate bad eggs sooner.

Opportunity, challenge, deception; the best of both worlds.

Former Employee - Research Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Research Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Gilfus Education Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting projects and clients; organization culture focussed on innovation in education.

Cons

Staff believes they are experts in education, and assumes that no one will work hard enough to please them. Limited understanding of process of learning and how to apply business principles to education. Management rarely discloses truth, always telegraphs that there is a hidden agenda. The CEO has always been professional and courteous, but management lacks integrity. Long hours are expected, but with out reason or productivity, simply to prove loyalty. Trust does not occur on project teams. I was paid very little, one third of initial compensation, and it was never prompt.

Clearly articulating goals and expectations is necessary for leadership. Do not say one thing, and then ignore that you're doing another. Be up front. Don't be afraid of communicating policy, message and expectation. Don't play games with staff. I typically work 16 hours per day, 6 days per week, accustomed to travel 5 days each week. The preconception that someone won't work hard enough is a self serving and sabotages trust.

Research, Research and More Research

Former Employee - Research Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Gilfus Education Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lot's of team members focused on research during the summer period. I was one of them. The items I worked on contributed to a new information product line that will be launched by the Gilfus Education Group for industry investors. They consult to a half a dozen or so Silicon Valley and Boston investors who tap them for information on the industry as well as companies to invest in. Great summer experience and looking forward to seeing my work hit the market.

Cons

Not enough time with the President and CEO. I was reporting into Mr. Gilfus but he is extremely busy and travels ALOT. Alot of people report to him across the company and his office is like a revolving door for team members that have questions. If you do get the time its amazingly insightful and helpful.

Keep up the great work! You guys are changing education!

Passion and Perfection

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Gilfus Education Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart People. Great industry. Incredible connections. VERY passionate about what they do. Young and growing company. Seasoned leaders. Good opportunity to grow. Huge exploding industry.

Cons

Long hours. Always ON. Management Consulting so very little home time. Make sure you align yourself with one of the core management team.

I had to leave due to a personal issue, nothing to do with the company. Maybe more support. Somteimes it feels like we need more people on projects.

Astonishingly unprofessional.

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Gilfus Education Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most definitely an exciting industry and there are some innovative thinkers affiliated with GEG. The work is interesting.

Cons

While I would say the experience ignited my interest in a number of areas, I found the day to day working experience beyond appalling. If you are an inexperienced newcomer to consulting, you might think this is what professional consulting looks like. Fundamentals like prompt payment (salary and expenses) and respect (saying what you mean and meaning what you say) are not a given. It was a culture of gross distrust, threats, fear and one of smoke and mirrors. Because it is a very small organization, there is an attempt to broadcast an air of significance and relevance that is absolutely absent in the day to day life. The organization is very flat. There is one manager: The CEO. he regularly overrides decisions made at any other level so it becomes nearly impossible to function without his specific involvement. Rather than cultivating the talent that is attracted to the organization, the job becomes to both read the mind of the CEO and to recite his thoughts and beliefs. I learned early on that since his name is on every document, it has to represent his point of view. This is not what makes for a great consulting career. I learned a lot while i was there, but I truly believe it was in spite of the organization, not because of it. I saw opportunity after opportunity (of the individuals who worked there) squandered because of the CEO's inability to trust.. This is not a place to go to build a career. It is a place to stop on the way to one.

Build your staff up, rather than tear them down. If your expectation is that your staff will sabotage you, you seal your own fate. Free sodas? C'mon. It's 2012 and this isn't a team of caffeine dependent programmers. Cultivate their strengths rather than make them into something else. Visionary leaders rally people to charge the hill. Good leaders inspire and reward. This was an experience of being whipped into submission and made to feel bad. it was always about how honored employees should be to work there, as opposed to what a great contribution a team or individual had made. What great organization uses that as a model?

i had a fun learning experience

I worked at Gilfus Education Group

Pros

I learnt a lot of stuff.

Cons

Small company so no security

Be Prepared to Give it your best or Don't bother.

I worked at Gilfus Education Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If your not an entreprenuer or entrepreurial its a tough environment. Things can change at a moments notice but thats the case with direct business consulting. Many of the companies I have worked for our entreprenurial themselves. It's a HUGE Learning curve and you have to be prepared to meet the HIGH expectations of working Executives that demand the best. The company leaders where market makers so it has an environment that is highly informed but strict about quality deliverables.

Cons

The team is split up leaving little chance to socilaize with the entire staff. If you have been in a fast paced consulting environment, worked for Accenture, IBM or others your first year out of school then you know what to expect while at the Gilfus Education Group. There is always to much to do and never enough time to do it.

Better work/life balance would be preffered, but too be expected in a growing company.

Run far away!

I worked at Gilfus Education Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There are no pros. Working there is like working under a knife. I am so happy that it is over.

Cons

In my time working there (which was only three months) the company committed illegal practices and fired people for no reason. They mislead their employees and their customers about their services.

Please change the way you treat your employees. You had some very high caliber people working for you who left or you let go. They will continue to leave if you do not show them respect. Also please improve upon your communication. Nothing can improve if you stifle people's ideas.

This company is run by an incompetent CEO and engages in blatantly unscrupulous practices.

I worked at Gilfus Education Group

Pros

The company works in a very interesting field of education, and there are some opportunities to learn about the education industry.

Cons

- This company deliberately deceives its clients and its employees concerning its expertise, experience, and capabilities.
    - CEO does not care about the professional development of his employees.
    - Company culture is to "shut up and do as you are told."

Change company culture and hire actual full time HR personnel. Employ method to give and receive feedback. Treat employees with respect, and give them proper incentives and opportunities for growth.

Upper management prides itself on bad behavior toward employees.

I have been working at Gilfus Education Group

Pros

Employer is predictable in its unresponsiveness.

Cons

The company makes itself out to have more expertise than it does and bigger than it actually is. Upper management shows very little respect for employees on regular basis. For example, if you don't enjoy working at a place where people get yelled at or scolded in front of everyone else, this is not the right environment for you.

Change upper management.