Gillig Corporation Reviews

Gillig Corporation Review

Former Employee - Maintenance  in  Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Hayward, CA

I worked at Gillig Corporation

Pros

the pay is great. you will love the money

Cons

it is very tiring. but well worth the money.

gillig is overall a good place to work at because it is high pay. there is also safety care the company takes care of. the doctor is very nice.

Former Worker

Current Employee - Factory Worker  in  Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Factory Worker in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Gillig Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. They only work 40 hours a week.
    2. The hours are early.
    3. Customers do not know what is good or bad. So everything ships.

Cons

1. No chance for promotion.
    2. Union shop.
    3. Managers are folks that cleaned toilets and now run the company.

Great Scott we have landed in 1961!

Current Employee - Various  in  Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Various in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Gillig Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay is competitive. Benefits are outstanding. Coworkers are in general decent hardworking and helpful. Job security is scary good. One of the very few places in the bay where you can tell "normal" people what you do have them understand what you do. The company is old school, if you like old school.

Cons

The work hours are early, and you can't be a minute late to work, the admin goes around taking roll every morning at 6:05AM to make sure of that. You are a slave to the whims of everyone, especially production. Your work is only yours if you work them out on your own "under the radar." This isn't hard to do, once you have things figured out, because management is a mixed bag of micro management and generally distracted leadership that will let you run projects with complete impunity. Sadly as soon as anyone actually "reviews" it, the project is no longer yours, so just sit back and enjoy the ride! Nothing gets done without a hard copy, heaven forbid you send an electronic copy of something out. The work is primitive at best, so do not expect any cutting edge stuff. There are some guys there who look like they will die on the job, and Gillig will probably let them, so if you are looking for job security you got it! The whole bus business is propped up 80% by federal tax dollars, and those dollars equate to performance based bonuses for upper management (“your job is get the job done right the 1st time, and have it ready yesterday”). If you have hopes of getting a piece of the bonuses that the 14 people at executive pay (that’s right 14 for 700 employees) enjoy, you better be related to the right people. In general promotions are based on: who you are related to, what color your skin is, and who likes you.

Work on making your employees feel respected and valued.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Massively old-fashioned, for better or for worse.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Gillig Corporation

Pros

[My comments mostly apply to white-collar workers. I don't have much experience in the plant or warehouse.]

Generally has a small-company feel. Some of the top managers will greet you by name when they see you in the hallway.

Older employees will feel welcomed. The average age seems like 50+.

Health insurance premiums are fully company-paid. Big company-paid 401k bonus (better than a company-paid match).

Very dedicated to U.S. manufacturing. There's no chance that your job will get offshored. I very much appreciate this, not just as an employee, but as a U.S. citizen, consumer, and taxpayer (80% of the purchase price of most buses is funded by the U.S. government). More companies should have this policy and not be afraid to advertise it!

Some positions can be pretty low-effort if you're decently competent. Certain managers are underworked and half-asleep, but this even applies to some regular positions. Big qualification, I know a lot of people who are working Saturdays, extra hours, extra effort, no lunches, so there are big differences between departments and positions. If you get lucky, you might fall into one of the easier ones.

Nice gifts for all employees at the holidays.

No hassles from the I.T. department (they are responsive, you're not forced to use Internet Explorer, iTunes isn't blocked, etc.)

Not much bureaucracy.

Cons

#1 problem by far: work hours. You're stuck working either a 5am-2pm or 7am-4pm shift. No exceptions. Hope you like going to bed at 7:30pm. They are sticklers for being on time as well. Better hope you don't hit 2 extra traffic lights red one day. A former SVP used to loiter at the coffee machine near a main entryway around 7:00 to watch the employees coming in and note who was late. Lunches must be taken on time and ended on time, regardless of business conditions. Tell that customer on the phone that you can't help them, because it's lunch time and you're not allowed to postpone lunch 10 minutes for business needs. By the way, this is all for SALARIED employees, not hourly! I understand that some people (engineering, HR) do need to work the same hours as the first shift at the plant (5:00-1:30) so that is understandable. But most employees do not.

The company is MASSIVELY, ridiculously old-fashioned, in every way. Rigid work hours, no telecommuting, no 9/80 or 4/10, no public transit reimbursement/incentive (ironically!), no casual fridays, no education reimbursement. If it's been invented in the past 25 years, they probably aren't doing it. Typewriters are still used occasionally. Memos (real memos that say memo on the top) are printed out and handed from employee to employee to initial, even though we're all at our computers all day with the email client open. You'll never get an automated meeting request through email, even though we use a full-featured mail and calendar server. No one who schedules a meeting knows how to use that function. Top management takes it as a source of pride that they don't know how to use their computers for other than the most basic tasks. Too bad their admins are no help, they have minimal computer knowledge too.

If you're a "change agent" this isn't the place for you.

Other than the generous health insurance, benefits are average. No vacation for the first year, vacation is given out in blocks at the start of the year, rather than earned as you go, and must be used within a year. The 401(k) has good funds but takes a long time to vest.

Another person mentioned nepotism among management. This is true, and it isn't just the relatives of managers. There are MANY father/son, husband/wife, brothers, cousins working at Gillig. I can't believe that all of these relatives just happened to be the best candidates for the open positions.

VERY FEW women in management.

Poor communication. I think some of this is specific to my department, but I think a lot of it is due to company culture and the paper memo thing. They introduced a new model, probably the biggest addition to the product line in almost 10 years, but there was no announcement to employees. Even those of us who need to be kept abreast of changes and new features only overheard it from some employees who were in the know. Another example. Apparently, you can have a paid day off on your birthday, but no one told me that, even when my birthday was during my vacations and I took vacation days for it for several years.

There is a surprising lack of managerial knowledge or competence among some people at the director and VP level. I'm thinking they were promoted from within (good) but were never trained on how to be a manager. Most companies send managerial candidates (even team leads and bottom-level supervisors) to training classes. Some current managers don't have managment skills they should have learned when they started in a supervisory role 10-20+ years ago.

Moving up the ladder may be hard due to the size of the company and the small number of positions available. You might end up changing to a different department that you know little about because there was an opening at the next level there. This may explain some of the problems with managerial competence.

The only typical review or employee feedback is once a year at raise time, and it's pretty much in one direction. There are no quarterly reviews, employee progress reports, 360 degree feedback, etc.

The company is definitely successful, and for that you should be congratulated. It's the only fully American bus builder, one of the few heavy industries left in the bay area, and management obviously cares about U.S. workers and U.S. manufacturing. Some changes would make the company unbeatable in the marketplace and a great place to work.

The holiday gift program is a great idea that other companies should definitely adopt. I think the gifts cost the company around $100 each, on average. Nobody's going to miss $100/year from their salary, but they do appreciate a nice gift at the holidays, especially because they have their choice of products.

The short-sighted and arbitrary work hour policy is keeping the employees from doing their best work. People are sleepy, unproductive, and cranky. Walk around the parking lot at lunch time and you'll see that MANY people are sleeping in their cars instead of enjoying their lunch or socializing with co-workers. You see people nodding off at their desks. They're not lazy or bad employees, they have spouses and families who work regular shifts, and going to bed in time to get a full night's sleep and still be up at 3:00 AM or 5:00 AM just isn't possible.

Have a method where employees can suggest ideas and improvements, I don't care if it's anonymously or credited. There are a lot of good ideas that people are keeping to themselves because no one ever asked them and the lack of communication from the top down keeps the information from flowing the other way too.

A great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Gillig Corporation

Pros

Gillig says it is a family and, surprise!, they really do seem to care about their employees. The benefit package is very generous and salaries range higher than the norm.

Cons

If you do not have a college degree do not bother applying. Turn over rate is very low and as a result opportunities for advancement are few and far between. The sons of executives are obviously favored.

Management should be willing to consider time on the job as being equal to holding a degree. An employee that has been with Gillig for 15 years should not automatically be excluded from consideration for a promotion because they lack a college degree.

Worked for Gillig Corporation? Contribute to the Community!