Gilsanz Murray Steficek

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
3.2

Ramon E. Gilsanz, PE, SE

I was an intern engineer.

Former Employee - Intern Structural Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Gilsanz Murray Steficek as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The higher ups are very easy to talk to and get advice from.

Cons

It will be impossible to live close to the office.

Great summer internship experience

I worked at Gilsanz Murray Steficek as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Challenging work, great learning experience

Cons

Be prepared to work long hours

The future is not that bright

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilsanz Murray Steficek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Open office environment, friendly coworkers. People actually hang out with coworkers after work. The main partners are great to work with and approachable.

Cons

No respect for employees as people. When I first started I was paid minimum wage, even though I had a masters.

The junior partners are primarily focused interior fit out, renovation, and roll out work. The company will not have large scale, high rise jobs once the main partners retire. There are many talented people now but most will leave for this reason.

Unequal treatment of men and women. Men are required to do field work, women are not.

Little room for growth. I worked there for 5 years and was denied promotion.

No advice. The older partners are on their way out and don't care. The younger partners do not want advice.

Intern Structural Engineer

Former Employee - Intern Structural Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Gilsanz Murray Steficek as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Small, friendly environment lends itself well to internships (probably more so than full-time careers), everyone is very willing to teach and help learn, able to work on a range of projects, work directly with partners as an intern, very social atmosphere

Cons

Many of the same qualities that make it so great as an internship location would limit it as a full time career

It was OK for the time I was there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Gilsanz Murray Steficek

Pros

It's a great place for a young Structural Engineer to start their career. The company has a lot of young people working for them, which is good socially. And SUMMER HOURS!

Cons

Dealing with some of the subpar administrative personnel can be very taxing for all levels of employees. Some partners are better than others.

I would have less chiefs and more indians. It would also be beneficial to acquire (and keep) a strong administrative staff.

work

I have been working at Gilsanz Murray Steficek

Pros

comf. work env. and good

Cons

hard to achive the goals

Great design experience, but poor supportive professional environment in terms of administrative support.

I worked at Gilsanz Murray Steficek

Pros

Design expertise, support of in-house continuing education, strong local professional connections with other firms and collateral professional organizations.

Cons

Disorganized management, chaotic work environment, no administrative support for lower level professional staff, disengaged Partners in the well-being of lower level professional staff.

Assign administrative assistants to lower level engineering and architecture staff, improve office space conditions: sanitation (rats and mice), customization of individual office spaces (high drafting tables, better chairs, more individualized climate and lighting controls); and full reimbursement of continuing education and licensure preparation courses and examinations, and better support and encouragement for younger staff to attend conferences and present papers.