Gilt Groupe
www.gilt.com New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

Gilt Groupe Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Michelle Peluso

Pros:
  • "High energy, fast paced environment"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great engineering culture, very interesting challenges and you get to work with really smart people"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Culture did not promote any work-life balance (in name only) which is fine if you're under 30"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper management plays favorites when it comes to promotions and praise"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Gilt is an ok company.

New York, NY

ProsSome wonderful and smart people.

ConsManagement team is no longer human-centric, instead they are hyper focused on cost mitigation.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on how to invest for the biggest return.

Autonomous, exciting, challenging, fun, fast-paced.

New York, NY

ProsAutonomous environment where you can run with your idea and test it out. Employees are young and smart, and the fast-paced nature of the company keeps you on your toes and keeps pushing you further. The execs listen to the voices of the employees and have made changes like updating the pantry. The culture is fun - they offer manicures and massages during the day and are bringing meals in. There are happy hours, and a really fun halloween party every year. Its great to work for a company where the customers love the brand and are highly engaged. There isnt a vacation policy, and you get a sabbatical after working there for 3 and 5 years.

ConsThere are no down-cycles, its an always-on environment. Some of the employees are too young and have no other experience so they don't know how to conduct themselves in a business setting. It is difficult to advance because the company has grown to its max and so new positions are few. Its becoming more of a corporate, bureaucratic culture and has lost most of its start-up feel.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to do a better job identifying their top performers and helping them develop further.

Supervisor

Pros• Monthly Gilt Credit to your account.
    • Gilt events
    • Company discount on website

TRUST ME THAT IS ALL YOU WILL LIKE ABOUT THE COMPANY!!!

Cons• Be prepared to be talked down to.
    • People are only promoted based on how much they like you.
    • Raises are in cents not dollars unless you are a favorite employee.
    • Mangers don't support
    • Manager are hardly every around when needed
    • They work you to the bone and don't compensate you for it after.
    • They give praise towards employees that Don't do anything all day if they favor you.
    • You will mostly of not always hear about the negatives instead of the positives.
    • They treat lower employees who are not in manager positions like they are to be seen and not heard.
    • Your opinion is not wanted so don't try to give it.
    • They don't care about your personal feelings or life.
    • Working for Gilt is like signing your soul to the devil.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees the same way you will want to be treated. Guide them in the correct path towards success and not failure. Stop being condescending all of the time. Please get rid of the I don't give a rat about mentalities and show some kind of compassion at times.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty Good Place

New York, NY

ProsGilt has a great work life balance. There are unlimited vacation days. You can usually work an 8 hour day. The office space is modern and open. Lots of really smart people work there.

ConsIt's not a super inspiring place to work. Priorities tend to shift often. There has been a good deal of turnover. It's not your dream job, but it's a decent place.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign on vision

Decent part-time gig

Customer Support Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThere's no work to take home and it isn't extremely hard or stressful. It seems that way during training but it gets better. They let you know how you're doing and reward you when you do well.

ConsNot enough hours. You need a manager's approval for practically everything but they are never around to assist or don't give you a definitive response on how to handle a call. Management is either really unprofessional, seem annoyed by questions you ask, and some are even extremely passive-aggressive

Life changing

ProsExcellent people and constantly changing

ConsGetting better but long term strategy lacks length past the new shinny object.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the people behind the scene a bit more

Marketing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHigh energy, fast paced environment

ConsSignificant churn, lack of top down communication

Great experience but not a long term fit

Software Engineer In Test (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBrought in with little experience to entry level. Got to work with an amazing tech team that changed drastically over time. Learned a lot about the development process, ux design, testing, front end and back end coding, and scalability. Still has a startup culture with lots of freedom to learn about new technology. The ask for forgiveness instead of permission mentality makes it easy to take on aggressive projects.

ConsA lot of times I felt under appreciated and under paid for my contributions. The business is getting a little stale for the flash sale space and innovation is getting harder to act on. This makes Gilt seem like it's trending to be a thing of the past and the company will be downsizing instead of growing. Features get scrapped quickly when they dont work instead of trying to be fixed or understood. Some power from execs has been counter productive forcing bad decisions to be made while lots of others never agreed with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about direction and business initiatives. Workers tend to do better on features they are implementing when they have idea of what market they supposed to tap into and what the business is looking to get back from them. During town hall meetings try to answer questions truthfully instead of being vague without actually answering anything or replies with "we are still investigating that". Even if there is something negative to say, as long as its the truth workers respect it.

Best Internship you'll Find in Fashion

Men's Buying Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGilt provided me with the opportunity to be involved with many different aspects of the buying process and treated me as one of their own rather than an intern. The atmosphere is very 'tech,' no single employee has his or her own office, which makes exposure to senior management very transparent and comfortable (even as an intern). I actually looked forward to coming to the office every morning! The internship program itself exposed me to all different departments from every facet of the company and opened a lot of doors in terms of career development and mentorship.

ConsUnpaid internship in New York City

Former Marketing Intern

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsPaid internship, flexible hours around school schedule

ConsNot sure what to do with interns, hired as Gilt intern to work with outside Consultants

Worked for Gilt Groupe? Contribute to the Community!

Gilt Groupe Videos

Gilt Groupe – Why Work for Us?

Sizzle Reel from GILT.COM on Vimeo. We’re not your typical start-up: We’ve got over 1000 employees in offices spanning the globe, from New York to Las Vegas to Dublin to Japan. What all Gilties have in common is a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gilt Groupe reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gilt Groupe CEO Michelle Peluso. All 61 reviews posted anonymously by Gilt Groupe employees.