Gilt Groupe

www.gilt.com

Gilt Groupe Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Michelle Peluso

Pros
  • High energy, fast paced environment(in 7 reviews)

• Great engineering culture, very interesting challenges and you get to work with really smart people(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture did not promote any work-life balance (in name only) which is fine if you're under 30(in 7 reviews)

• Upper management plays favorites when it comes to promotions and praise(in 4 reviews)

Great Company to work for,

ProsAmazing culture, great people and benefits !

ConsNone that I can think of

Growing startup

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people are amazing and there are a lot of interesting projects to work on. From an engineering point of view, it is open to new ideas and you get to learn very quickly about fashionable new technologies.

ConsCareer development has not quite been thought through in a meaningful way. While there would be Director and VP openings once in a while, upper management usually hires from outside.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on developing talent and leadership from the people you already have. A lot want a bigger role in the company and are forced to find this elsewhere.

The perfect place if you're motivated and under 25. Otherwise, you must have that energy.

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIntelligent peers, and demanding of excellence. Great experience.

ConsThe job takes over your life, in reality and on social media. Otherwise it very much depends what division you work for. Not diverse.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, forward, innovative place to be

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYoung, fast, digital, innovative, great company culture

ConsHectic, often unfocused, developing, little accountability

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee growth and development

A lot of good and potential struggling under lack of vision

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe company has a great start-up, entrepreneurial energy which is inspiring and invariably forces you to learn and adapt quickly. The name alone is great for the resume and provides a crash course on all things e-commerce. Good employee discounts and good pay which inevitably went back to company when shopping.

ConsVery little to no structure or vision. There is a stated matrix-like structure but in reality it almost feels like a fend for yourself structure. Senior management was often absent but there when things went really wrong, often much after the fact. Hard to develop long-range plans, goals when there was very little agreement or direction. At the end of the day it made the work difficult as you were always managing fire-drills as opposed to building something. Culture did not promote any work-life balance (in name only) which is fine if you're under 30. The organization as a whole has a lot of smart people but more people who think they are very smart and ultimately it created a delusional sense of greatness with little innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time in the office, craft a clear vision/direction and reward innovation (even failed) and hire non traditionally to inspire creativity and mentor junior staff.

Great place to interact with talented employees, but difficult place in terms of overall work quality

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGilt is a great place to meet people that are going places. Almost everyone you work with has that "spark", where you can just tell that they are going to have a very successful career.

ConsReally long hours and a lot of pressure, without a clear pathway to promotion/higher salary. To some degree, a lot of people there think that their priorities should be everyone's priorities, so it can be difficult to manage the pressure from competing projects

Advice to Senior ManagementThe structure of the departments need to be organized in a way that allows for clear delegation of projects/responsibilities. In large measure, a lot of different roles are working on the same tasks without a clear sense of ownership.

Thrilling, challenging, time consuming, learning experience.

ProsOpportunities to work alongside smart, creative people.
    Fast-paced work environment.
    Unanimous eagerness to move forward.
    Company feels like a start-up and boasts relatable values/mission statements.

ConsLack of infrastructure, support and/or follow through at times.
    Some disgruntled employees can throw a team/team dynamic "out of whack."

Chaotic and falling apart

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFree Stumptown coffee and cereal, decent employee discount, camaraderie among junior staff, everyone gets laptops, convenient location next to the 6 train.

ConsAloof management with little knowledge or care about what their teams are going through, lack of strategy or scalable business model leads to constant shifts in direction, lack of processes and constant turnover leads to frequent fire fighting, poor morale as everyone looking for another job

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time trying to really understand from the ground level what's going wrong. Be honest about the problems of the company, including the culture, and how you will fix them

Excellent learning experience with a fantastic luxury start up.

Gilt City Boston Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsInsight into the luxury market, including fashion, local lifestyle events, restaurants and so much more. Excellent, comfortable and easy-going environment that allows one to be productive and enjoy all assignments and duties.

ConsTo be perfectly honest, I enjoyed every day that I interned. It was truly a learning experience that I am very happy to have had. I suppose our office in Boston was a bit small, but at that point there were only three of us. From what I understand their recent merger has not only increased the size of the Boston office, but of the entire market.

Beware of Operations

Operations (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat company, work with interesting vendors. I'd recommend this company but only certain departments.

ConsOperations: Management is cliquey and condescending. They push you too hard. Your job is below them and they don't offer to help with what you do when you are overwhelmed. Instead, they try to figure out better 'processes' and point the finger. Never been so unhappy with a department in my years experience in the job force and I'm not the first one of my co-workers to say that.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micro-managing.

Worked for Gilt Groupe? Contribute to the Community!