Gilt Groupe Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Michelle Peluso

Pros
  • Awesome products on website with employee discount (in 8 reviews)

• Exciting, fast-paced environment that fits both tech and fashion cultures (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture did not promote any work-life balance (in name only) which is fine if you're under 30 (in 8 reviews)

• Office politics have become very catty and difficult to navigate (in 4 reviews)

1. Great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you have the drive and will- pushing for change from within is both fun and rewarding. This is a great place to build your career.

Cons

Alignment can sometimes take longer than it should.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on executing the strategy laid out.

Great Company, But Does Not Reward

Former Employee - Women's Merchandise Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Women's Merchandise Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Gilt Groupe

Pros

Everyone is super dedicated and passionate

Cons

They do not reward their employees. Apparently, management is trying to offer employees more promotions and increase in salaries but a lot of the employees that have been there longest are getting pushed out which changes the entire culture.

Assistant Buyer

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, fantastic culture. Innovative, never a dull moment. Healthy work-life balance for some.

Cons

There are great leaders but upper management is a bit unorganized and uninspiring.

There is a reason for the low stars....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a good company to work for because of the name. If you have it on your resume then it will get noticed and hopefully will lead elsewhere. The office has a good atmosphere, fun perks and most people have a relaxed vibe. Also, the discount was good.

Cons

However, I give this company one three stars because I was hired, then let go after working there for less than two months... Why? I will never know. I was let go without any guidance or clarification as to why. My boss was taking time off and I feel like I wasn't needed and they decided to let me go. After a follow up email, my old manager told me she would talk to me the next week and tell me why I was let go. The morning of I get an email and she said she had a "conflict" but HR would talk to me if I needed. Replied to both and said, "Great, thanks". The time rolls around and no call from HR all day. I even emailed them saying I was free and when is a good time for them. Someone finally emails me back and says they can do this day at this time. The day comes along and no. call. whatsoever. I decided just to let it go. Unfortunately things didn't work out for me there but I will never know why due to the low professionalism of the VPs that handled the situation.

Advice to Management

Everyone that works there is a person as well, and we should all be treated equally. Not a good idea of the corporate world for my first job...

Doesn't value employees

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

-unlimited vacation time -flexibility to work from home -many snacks -overall smart people

Cons

-poor compensation -business model dying -low morale -senior leaders aren't transparent/don't value employees -no retention

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees are saying! They're your best asset and you're ignoring it.

Competitive, Unstructured

I have been working at Gilt Groupe

Pros

Fast-paced, intense learning environment in e-commerce

Cons

Unstructured environment, cut-throat leadership, oppressive culture

Advice to Management

Appreciating employees will enable them to succeed - their success is your success

Goodbye Gilt

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can learn a lot if you are willing to work very hard and long hours. Enployee discount is generous as well as unlimited vacation. Trys to be transparent with employees at bi weekly company wide meetings.

Cons

The business model doesn't make sense anymore. Senior management plays favorites and it is impossible to move up unless you are "chosen". can be challenging to do your job efficiently with all the layers of approval needed to get things done.

Uncertain Future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Gilt you will meet great coworkers, experience a casual dress policy and have access to a liberal employee discount (not applicable to designer items). Also, promotions, enhanced job security and an ever-increasing network are all attainable through attrition.

Cons

Gilt is in desperate need of core-shaking intervention, but no one seems posed to make the necessary changes. Nepotism runs rampant. There are many over-promoted, under-qualified and apathetic members of management who have positions of authority (including high salaries with bi-annual bonuses) because of their relationships with members of the Executive Team. Morale is low, and attempts to appease the workforce often fall short. Further, while the Executive Team expresses a somewhat clear plan for development, execution is lacking. Direction changes regularly and all too often key employees resign before plans come to fruition. Moreover, no one will admit and openly discuss failures. Consequently, instead of learning from our challenges, we spend more time explaining away issues and justifying an unplanned result than moving forward.

Advice to Management

Take a close and unbiased look at members of the management team. Do they inspire their team? Do they contribute significantly to the overall success of the business? No one benefits from inept managers who remain in place. Identify key employees that are not in management positions and provide them with a clear path for career development. Review more closely the determination of promotions, pay and bonus compensation. Increase transparency and set more realistic plans for future growth. Most employees would appreciate frank conversations over sterilized presentations. LISTEN TO FEEDBACK!!!! Many issues are continually reported to management but change does not occur.

was a crazy place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

decent salary employee discounts on expensive clothes minimal supervision certain C level execs try to do the right thing excellent creative production team (photos, retouching, etc) fun to be in a tech business with non-tech components (warehouse, photo studio, etc) good parties cooler employees than most tech companies more diverse than most tech companies

Cons

massive employee churn - engineering team totally replaced 3 times in 18 months chaotic changes in direction. tech stack also completely changed 3 times in 18 months horrible work life balance nepotism - many VPs and managers seemed to be buddies from former jobs many incompetent managers, some with seriously erratic behavior certain execs seemingly "for show" , they showed up for big all hands meetings but were rarely seen at the office started with a good office, moved to a horrible temp office, then finally to a pretty bad perm office inappropriate romantic relationships between certain managers and employees flash sale business model is doomed competitors already had successful exits

Advice to Management

nothing really, it is too late now

in peril

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

employee discount unlimited vacation policy good equipment and work environment people are genuinely nice comparing to other fashion companies used to have lots of meetup events

Cons

incompetent leaders blind by vanity metrics lost focus on where this company is going takes forever to fix something so obvious and critical innovation is hindered by lots of politics and bureaucracy

Advice to Management

stop talking, start doing. shouldn't take you a year to realize this company is in danger

RSS Feed </> Embed