Gilt Groupe Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
3.4

Michelle Peluso

Pros
  • High energy, fast paced environment (in 7 reviews)

• Great engineering culture, very interesting challenges and you get to work with really smart people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture did not promote any work-life balance (in name only) which is fine if you're under 30 (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management plays favorites when it comes to promotions and praise (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Marketing

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

High energy, fast paced environment

Cons

Significant churn, lack of top down communication

Great experience but not a long term fit

Former Employee - Software Engineer In Test  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer In Test in New York, NY

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brought in with little experience to entry level. Got to work with an amazing tech team that changed drastically over time. Learned a lot about the development process, ux design, testing, front end and back end coding, and scalability. Still has a startup culture with lots of freedom to learn about new technology. The ask for forgiveness instead of permission mentality makes it easy to take on aggressive projects.

Cons

A lot of times I felt under appreciated and under paid for my contributions. The business is getting a little stale for the flash sale space and innovation is getting harder to act on. This makes Gilt seem like it's trending to be a thing of the past and the company will be downsizing instead of growing. Features get scrapped quickly when they dont work instead of trying to be fixed or understood. Some power from execs has been counter productive forcing bad decisions to be made while lots of others never agreed with them.

Be more transparent about direction and business initiatives. Workers tend to do better on features they are implementing when they have idea of what market they supposed to tap into and what the business is looking to get back from them. During town hall meetings try to answer questions truthfully instead of being vague without actually answering anything or replies with "we are still investigating that". Even if there is something negative to say, as long as its the truth workers respect it.

Best Internship you'll Find in Fashion

Former Employee - Men's Buying Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Men's Buying Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Gilt Groupe as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Gilt provided me with the opportunity to be involved with many different aspects of the buying process and treated me as one of their own rather than an intern. The atmosphere is very 'tech,' no single employee has his or her own office, which makes exposure to senior management very transparent and comfortable (even as an intern). I actually looked forward to coming to the office every morning! The internship program itself exposed me to all different departments from every facet of the company and opened a lot of doors in terms of career development and mentorship.

Cons

Unpaid internship in New York City

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former Marketing Intern

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Gilt Groupe as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Paid internship, flexible hours around school schedule

Cons

Not sure what to do with interns, hired as Gilt intern to work with outside Consultants

Work Hard Play Hard

I have been working at Gilt Groupe

Pros

Cool work environment and staff.

Cons

Not much employee recognition or reward.

Dynamic, vibrant, inspiring culture and brand

Current Employee - Senior Web Designer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Web Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Passionate and talented teams across the business. Culture encourages moving across different teams to find where talents could be used best.

Cons

Process still being smoothed out in certain departments. Gaps in communication can easily occur.

Fantastic

Current Employee - Kids Buying Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Kids Buying Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Gilt Groupe as an intern for less than a year

Pros

friendly atmosphere, fun environment, great place to grow and learn

Cons

open office - not much personal space, unpaid internship

Interesting to see how company works

Former Employee - Sales and Events Intern
    Former Employee - Sales and Events Intern

I worked at Gilt Groupe as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, you can leave when you are finished with your work, awesome discounts on the Gilt sites, you can attend the events after you set them up

Cons

Seems like they have interns doing a lot of busy work. Rarely did I ever see the research I did turn into anything else. Wasn't a huge help with getting a job.

Provide more direction and use interns as valuable resources. We are there to work so take advantage of it.

Friendly, But Empty-Worded

Current Employee - Customer Support  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Portland, OR

I have been working at Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people... good employee discount. Decent stipend for full-time employees.

Cons

Distinct changes occurred with frequency, but CS was the last to hear about it; even though CS is the first contact with the customer.

Understand and absorb the concept of transparency. You are becoming increasingly corporate in the roboticism of your operations, your lowest employees (CS) arguably feel it hardest. In the Portland office, our direct managers didnt even know what was going on; beyond the obvious posturing that eventually led to your closing the Portland office on May 15th.

Nobody will have a willingness to "live and breathe" Gilt, the more you reduce employees' experiences to a cog-like replaceability.

Company has changed a lot recently

I worked at Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

The people you meet here are great & you will learn a lot. It seems that experiences and opinions vary depending on the department you work for. Overall, a good experience. The company has nothing but good intentions - it just has become more corporate and less about the individuals.

Cons

The company has changed a lot recently. In general things move very fast at Gilt - which can be frustrating when things are just done to be done and without much thought.

Listen to HR & to your employees.

Worked for Gilt Groupe? Contribute to the Community!