Girl Scouts USA

Girl Scouts USA Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez

Anna Maria Chávez

Pros
  • You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference(in 10 reviews)

• Great mission, some fabulous people, great learning opportunity(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It's non-profit pay, so there's that(in 12 reviews)

• Upper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization(in 11 reviews)

If You Value Your Sanity, Stay Far Away

Manager, Series and Events Pathways (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsWorking with the girls and (the majority of the) volunteers was so rewarding. These experiences kept me engaged and fulfilled.

ConsSevere disconnect between management and staff. Telling already overworked staff that "feeling overwhelmed is nothing more than poor time management" does nothing but decrease already poor morale.

The mission of the organization and the way business is conducted does not match.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take a step back and and realize the mission of the organization is to serve girls and volunteers, not just to collect a paycheck via cookie sales at the expense of your troops.

Worked there over 20 years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe mission of empowering girls is important and is at the heart of the organization and its councils across the country.

ConsThe work-life balance is non-existent. There were entire weeks when I couldn't be sure of when I would get home. There is no respect for individuals, neither their time or knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk and model the culture and values. Have respect for those who have been there before you, not just the staff you hire.

Great

ProsIt's non-profit. Great benefits. Great mission.

ConsIt's non-profit pay, so there's that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strong team with shared vision: creating future women leaders

ProsPassion and purpose felt in work environment. Recent turnover in management shows a lot of positive change and inspiring leadership team.

ConsNon-profit salaries tend to be lower than most companies.

Great place to work

Camp Ranger (Current Employee)

Prosgreat environment and good people

Conssalaries and hourly wages could be higher

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

Great place to work, family oriented. Employees very enthusiastic about programs delivered by the council.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsGetting to work with all the great volunteer's and making a difference in the girl's lives.

ConsWorking a lot of nights and weekend hours.

Really think about what you're getting into.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has been trying to revamp their image. The direction sounds promising but its very bumpy. If you like rugged off-roading this place can work. A new staff person needs to be very passionate about the mission. Adaptability, flexibility and ability to get things done in ambiguous situations help. Visibility, innovation and being a go-getter can be keys to success.

ConsVolunteers and staff frustrated with constant change. Confusing messaging and lack of business focus. Many long term, dedicated staff were let go & not recognized for their work. They endured a lot of the confusion and ambiguity that comes with business growth and change from leadership. Some staff members were even girl members that grew up in the organization. Despite the outward effort for positive messaging to members and the public, the company has tremendous internal management/leadership issues. Many employees are not valued. Company has a disparaging lack of diversity among staff, volunteers and members.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are people holding leadership positions that have been with the company past their expiration date. They have been dead wood for years and haven't brought new fresh ideas to the company. There are other members of leadership who talk a good talk. Their ability to hoodwink senior leaders is jaw dropping. Many in leadership roles play favorites even when the "favorite" skates by.

High Stress, Zero Empowerment.

ProsPeople are friendly. Good salary.

ConsCulture of fear, lack of empowerment if you're not a senior leader to make changes and improve things. enormous turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrioritize your priorities and don't burn your people out.

Good organization doing a great job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosflexible, helps to connect with the community,

Conssome of the people that have worked in the organization many years are reluctant to change.

Cool place, for the most part

ProsPeople are great. The mission is important and working with the girls is quite fulfilling. You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference.

ConsThe organization is a little disorganized and some of the practices are outdated. You really have to make your own way and be patient. There is a lot of work to be done and not always enough personnel.

Worked for Girl Scouts USA? Contribute to the Community!