Girl Scouts USA

Girl Scouts USA Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez

Anna Maria Chávez

Pros
  • You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference(in 10 reviews)

• Great mission, some fabulous people, great learning opportunity(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It's non-profit pay, so there's that(in 12 reviews)

• Upper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization(in 11 reviews)

Rewarding and challenging, though somewhat unstructured management

Membership Outreach Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsCompany provides guidance for lessons plans, but leaders have the creative ability to tailor their meetings to fit within the larger GS goals

Friendly co-workers with the same goals that you have-- to instill confidence in girls in a fun and warm environment

Field trips!

ConsUnder-trained, inexperienced, or unintelligible managers -- often the managers don't posses some of the qualities they are trying to teach the girls!

Some internal disorganization between managers and workers

Advice to Senior ManagementGirl Scout leaders should be intelligent, creative, and motivated. Attitudes and perceptions trickle down, so hire appropriately!

Great mission, unstable leadership, high turnover, yet potential for improvement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mableton, GA

ProsThe mission, the people who stick through the drama and turnover because they believe in the mission, the girls, the dedicated volunteers, the donors who believe in the mission, the organization's facility and resources are a plus

ConsThe Board does not fully trust the staff, the upper management often does not know what talents their staff have nor appreciate them, lots of staff turnover and volunteer burnout

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter having a leader that did not trust anyone for several years, make transparency and respect your utmost priorities. The mission is girl's empowerment, so coming from an empowerment model internally would do wonders for the culture.

Amazing training, benefits, and mode of operating....but hard to move up!

ProsI've worked at Girl Scouts - AZ Cactus Pine for about a year and a half. At first, I loved it. Everybody is pretty trusting, so you can manage your own workload. The company is constantly trying to better its employees by offering training and workshops on healthy communication, teamwork, etc. The work environment is made almost entirely up of women, so the "glass ceiling" doesn't really apply here. Upper management is receptive to some new ideas from staff.

ConsIf you work in the office, do not expect to ever see actual volunteers or Girl Scouts. The company is attempting to make all these changes to increase girl membership, but there seems to be gaps in that vision, which can be frustrating. Also, every employee in the council has very unique job duties, so it is hard to train yourself for a position in which to move up. Unless you are one of the very few hourly employees, expect to work long weeks, and usually weekends. There is also a lot of petty politics that go on that can make it hard to move forward. The CEO is awesome, but the rest of the senior staff....if they don't like you, it's going to be hard to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop limiting your employees, who want so much to make changes for their communities but keep finding red tape within the infrastructure of the company. Make the office more available to girls and volunteers, which in turn will create a more positive environment for the staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Troop Leader

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVolunteering with the the girls is terrific!

ConsThere are none that I can see.

Interesting, challenging with the opportunity to do some really good work with some great people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat mission, some fabulous people, great learning opportunity

ConsVery political with a challenging culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk your talk for real and understand that what you do communicates who you are, not what you say.

This is for Girl Scouts of Northern California.

(Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits package. Passionate staff members. Program work is excellent and varied. Emphasis on internal promotion. Casual dress code. Discounts on store merchandise.

ConsLow salaries. Poorly trained managers. Meetings about meetings about meetings that end up going nowhere. Important information does not always trickle down to the non-management staff who need it to do their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer training programs and coaching to managers. Have high standards for all levels of staff. Don't be afraid to get rid of the weak performers.

Ok

ProsLots of time off to compensate for lack of pay.

ConsCompensation leaves much to be desired

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent

Organization practices do not reflect its mission"

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNone. I would not recommend working here to anyone.

ConsHigher staff on contract with promise to come on full time, can take years

Most individuals in management have been there for 10+ years, are not open to innovation in their sectors, \

Organization practices do not reflect its mission to foster leadership in young women. Did not invest time/energy into younger employees - no mentoring, no job training, not included in meetings, etc. My supervisor wouldn't delegate work to me and actually said to just make sure I had papers all over my desk to make it look like I was busy.

Terrific

ProsGreat work life balance, very understanding atmosphere

ConsSome recent layoffs, which makes some feel a little unstable

A great organization for girls

Assistant Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsTo participate in grooming girls to be great women

ConsNothing to add at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep girls in mind at all times and remember the promise and law

Worked for Girl Scouts USA? Contribute to the Community!