Girl Scouts USA Reviews

Reset
2.7
Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez
Anna Maria Chávez

Pros
  • I truly felt like I was making a difference in their lives (in 11 reviews)

• The work-life balance is unlike anything I have ever seen before (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not very helpful (in 16 reviews)

• Non-profit salaries tend to be lower than most companies (in 15 reviews)

1. Summer Camp Counselor

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Message of Girl Scouts should be taught to all girls, teaches girls they can be into the outdoors. If you are liked by the staff you will have no issues

Cons

Staff plays favorites, lots of drama between counselors, unorganized, underfunded, long hours, some girls have hard to deal with issues, horrible pay.

2. management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission of Girl Scouting is something all women can embrace and be proud to be a part of advancing.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are times when the mission isn't carried out internally. Sadly, with such large geographic areas, it is challenging to maintain a work/home balance.

Advice to Management

Invest in training for employees, acknowledge the home/work life challenge and work together to develop workable solutions. Employee retention should be a focus.

3. employment atmospher

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Loved helping girls get into troops. I made the job very rewarding.

Cons

This particular service unit favored more employee's over the other.

Advice to Management

Overlook cultural backgrounds as this is what Girl Scouts is all about. Coming together as one.

5. Marketing

Current Employee - Digital Content Analyst in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Content Analyst in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment; friendly staff

Cons

Not much room for growth and promotion

Great mission

Former Employee - Consultant in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in Bronx, NY

I worked at Girl Scouts USA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission, always involved in doing great things for girls.

Cons

Not keeping great employees. Organization is being whittled down to nothing. Constant reorgs. Outsourcing alot of jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep your loyal emloyees. They are what made you great.

7. Negative Environment, Burn Out, and Bullies

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're lucky you get to work with the girls.

Cons

The organization needs to practice what they claim to teach girls: To live by the Girl Scout Law. There is no training, no one knows what they're doing, not enough human or financial resources to be successful, departments are in strong silos, staff is so burned out that they're negative, mean, and impossible to work with. The CEO is condescending, micromanaging, and overbearing, and does not invest in the employees, she had no interest in getting to know me as a person and I was a member of upper management. The board is disconnected, and the outsourced human resource agency is worthless. Nearly half the staff "moved on to other opportunities" within the 2 years I was there. Don't accept a position there unless you want to be under-appreciated and bullied.

Advice to Management

Hire a CEO who is a leader, not a micro-manager.

Don't Believe the Hype

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Instead of being broke, you receive a paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

1. There was a blatant lack of training and direction for employees. People around the office joked that "I've been here for 3 years now and I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do". I was frequently told I just have to figure things out on my own. 2. There was no introduction to Girl Scouts or the way they do things. I was escorted to a dirty, jam packed office (it had become a make-shift storage room since the previous person left and no one bothered to clean it out before I arrived) and left to "do my job". 3. When you didn't do your job correctly (despite receiving ZERO direction or a breakdown of how to do things) you get fussed at instead of helped. Supervisors took no criticism and instead blamed you for not figuring it out…0_o 4. IT'S ALL A FACADE! The programs the girls participate in are nothing more than Pinterest ideas with Walmart supplies. Other departments are too stressed to administer quality programs and the girls can come buy what ever patch/badge they want from the office. 5. The "awards" are an absolute joke. No one follows the guidelines and girls who turn in broken sentences, horrid grammar, and elementary projects are given the highest Girl Scout honor (the Gold Award). Employees would rather give out awards than deal with parent backlash despite their daughter's lack of effort. 6. There's no opportunities for advancement. Everyone is on the same level outside of the CEO & COO. 7. HORRIBLE work life balance. You basically work EVERY weekend. 8. In a 2 month span the CEO was fired, the CFO "retired"…, the head of HR "retired"…, the development director took another position, and then the COO was let go as well. There's no upper level management because the all (except those who were fired) secretly disliked their jobs. 9. The board of directors are a bunch of bullies. RUN! RUN FAR AWAY!

Advice to Management

There's way too many things to even waste my time commenting on. One star is a very gracious rating.

9. Great place

Former Employee - Community Engagement Manager
    Former Employee - Community Engagement Manager

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Pay, time off benefits are unbelievable.

Cons

I have none I love my job!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

No opportunity; don't waste your time.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmingdale, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmingdale, NJ

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

When I started working at the Girl Scouts it was a great place to work. It was family friendly to working moms and their children. Managers were fair and had respect for the staff. The reorganization (realignment) was the end of anything good in the Girl Scouts.

Cons

Lack of consistency, cooperation and communication at all levels. Upper management all the way down to the volunteers. They expect you to make your job your life for piddly salaries. The organization is very very top heavy with a large part of the budget going to CEO, COO, and CFO salaries. Really, what business needs a COO with 50 employees!!! The top level management rarely has any management education that warrants 6 figure salaries!

Advice to Management

Take some management courses. Learn to appreciate your staff and show them some respect.

Look at other councils first

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some flex time is available for most employees and they have a great pto policy.

Cons

Management has been there forever but has only Girl Scout experience, no management experience. They simultaneously micromanage and provide no guidance. There is no work life balance, and you often work nights and weekends.

Advice to Management

Learn some management skills, and remember that lower level employees want to have lives too. Also don't pawn everything you don't want to pay someone to do onto volunteers

RSS Feed </> Embed