Girl Scouts USA

Updated February 24, 2015
2.9

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez
Anna Maria Chávez

Pros
  • You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference (in 11 reviews)

• The work-life balance is unlike anything I have ever seen before (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization (in 16 reviews)

• Exceptionally disorganized- even for a non-profit (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Making a Difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, flexible hours, autonomy, intelligent staff, caring volunteers, making a difference in the lives of girls

Cons

I don't have any to mention at this time.

Keep doing what you are doing and working to make positive change.

Volunteer, Troop Leader

Current Employee - Volunteer, Leader
    Current Employee - Volunteer, Leader

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Girls Scouts Northern California does a good job at keeping leaders educated and informed so we can best support the girls in the program. It's a real treat to be able to help these young ladies grow into strong women utilizing the principles of Girl Scout leadership.

Cons

As in any volunteer organization, you can cannot always choose who you work with. At times, the local leadership may or may not adhere to the policies and principles of the greater good.

Two sides to a coin

Current Employee - Membership Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Membership Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Flexibility to learn various departmental roles.

Cons

Not valued as a membership manager
    Senior Team was power strucken with work overload for the ones doing the real work including volunteers
    Constant change in processes and team members with extremely high turn over
    No career advancement opportunities. Senior team does not expect any employees to stay more than 3 years.

Value your employees. Pay them what they are worth. Value your VOLUNTEERS!!!!!!

United Action for Youth (UAY)

I worked at Girl Scouts USA (more than 5 years)

Pros

Motto is UPR - Unconditional Positive Regard. The work environment exudes this and is excellent in life/work balance. A must for those in the human services fields. Great atmosphere with focus on teens.

Cons

Small parking lot so get your spot early in the day.

Great Experience

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Great people, great cause, laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Lack of organization, lack of communication

invest more time in your people. people are the best resources you have use them to their greatest abilities.

in transition

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great cause, mission to develop leadership for girls

Cons

Organization suffers from a lack of strategy execution.

stick with a plan and require accountability for results

Good place to start your non-profit career

Former Employee - Program Director in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Program Director in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

This is a great place to work if you are new to non-profit. You can learn how to interact with a non-profit Board of Directors, various levels of management and volunteers. There is a flexible schedule, most GS Councils work on the local school schedules. A lot of work is done out of the office, this is good if you don't like sitting behind a desk all day long. The benefits and vacation time are good, but not as competitive as they could be. There is a lot of hiring from within, so once you are in there is a lot of room to move up. Hands on experience everywhere, lots of interaction with girls, parents, and volunteers.

Cons

While there is a lot of hiring from within, room to move up is minimal. Many of the upper Exec and Chief Officers have been there for a long time and are far away from retirement. This is due to the Girl Scout pension plan that was restructured several years ago. Being hired can take up to three months and is often dragged out. There are often people in lower roles that are not qualified for their positions, lots of staff coming from different backgrounds. There is little training when you are first hired. It is more of a learning as you go mentality. Lots of flexibility in your weekly schedule due to the many nights and weekends you will be asked to commit to. This is especially true for Membership and Programming staff. The pay is very low and not competitive with other non-profits.

Management should focus on hiring more staff with non-profit backgrounds and skills directly related to their jobs. The commitment to nights and weekends must be addressed to cut down on turnover. More PT staff can be brought on to do this. Volunteers are important to GS but cannot be relied on to do every aspect needed to the organization.

Very Clique-y

Former Employee - Unit Leader in Mahomet, IL
    Former Employee - Unit Leader in Mahomet, IL

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Great values, fun environment, love working with kids

Cons

Very clique-y, hard to get in from outside, hard to move up without extensive connections

Girl Scouts of Connecticut is the worst pace to work if you have a family

Former Employee - Membership and Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Membership and Marketing Manager

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

The salary was a little higher than the average for this type of job

Cons

You are forced to work evenings, weekend hours and there are very few holidays off. Much of the evening work is above and beyond a 40 hour work week and is not compensated. For the position I held I worked at least 10-12 evening meeting per month. There is very little training, inconsistent policies, lack of support from Management.

Stop cutting positions and forcing the existing employees to pick up the slack unless you increase compensation. Let employees use flex time for the hours for the evening meetings and factor in travel time. As you reduce offices, more and more employees have to travel a greater distance to work and to after hour meetinggs

Council does not behave according to the standards they preach.

Current Employee - Accounting in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Accounting in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Comfortable environment, other departments were friendly, believed in the mission, somewhat flexible

Cons

Was interviewed for a position different than I applied for. Was told I would be trained on everything I needed to know. Very little training and it was assumed that I would have knowledge of processes that were never told to me. Was left to balance accounts that hadn't been balanced in over a year because they were going to be coming up for an audit. Direct supervisor was very cold and unapproachable. No clear chain of command. Controller would act one way to certain employees and to the CFO but very differently to those she didn't favor, all of which just happened to be of a different skin color than her own. Received multiple cruel and harassing remarks from supervisor due to my pregnancy. After two miscarriages was asked "is that really a good idea?" when I was pregnant again. When put on bed rest for one week, a temp was brought in to do my job and upon my return was told by my supervisor "this doesn't look good for you". After dealing with hostility and harassment went to HR, I was then written up as a form of punishment for reporting them. Tried to get into a different department but supervisor wouldn't allow it. She and the accountant caused so much hostility and unneeded stress. Accountant seemed to think she was my boss, when actually the controller was, but she didn't want to do her job. Tried to talk to the CFO on a few occasions when the other two were not around but he wasn't available. It was unfortunate because he was a really kind and reasonable man and I feel like things could have turned out much differently if I would have been able to talk to him.
    It saddens me because I had wanted to grow with the council and am still so confused as to why this goes on, especially with the Girl Scouts, of all organizations. Luckily the previous controller and accountant both seem to be gone. I know that I am not the only person that has experienced this. They could never keep anyone in my position because the accountant would run them off, and the controller was in cahoots with her and let her run the show. Many others in other departments felt the same disdain. I cannot speak for other councils but this was at GSEM.

Remember that diversity is an inclusion of all races working together for the greater good, not pushing every Caucasian employee out of their position.
    Take reports to HR seriously or you can have a law suit on your hands.

Girl Scouts USA Photos