Girl Scouts USA

Updated November 9, 2014
2.9

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez
Anna Maria Chávez

Pros
  • You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference (in 11 reviews)

• The work-life balance is unlike anything I have ever seen before (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization (in 15 reviews)

• Exceptionally disorganized- even for a non-profit (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great mission, horrible execution.

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I got to work with the girls and the leaders. I truly felt like I was making a difference in their lives.

Cons

Every few months there was a new theme and reorganization. Truly felt like a game of corporate survivor.

Overall great place to work.

Current Employee - Program Specialist
    Current Employee - Program Specialist

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great, friendly co-workers and managers who are willing to help you with anything. It's a great place to be creative and see how your work directly impacts the girls. It is very rewarding to see an event you developed run successfully.

Cons

There's lack of communication between departments, which can be very frustrating. Also, the expectation to leave certain properties in perfect condition, yet host events that involve painting and baking.

In need of revamping their program

Former Employee - Troop Leader in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Troop Leader in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Girl Scouts USA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This program teaches girls how to work together as a group and also to become confident women.

Cons

Upper Management is not very helpful. You get conned into starting a troop and then you're left trying to figure everything out.

Management needs to stop thinking about themselves and help the troops.

a lot of good people trying to do too much

I worked at Girl Scouts USA (more than 3 years)

Pros

"cause driven" people who are fun to work with

Cons

too broad a scope "all girls everywhere"

It's all about the girls!

Former Employee - Camp Counselor (Unit Staff) in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor (Unit Staff) in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Girl Scouts USA as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good youth support and interaction programs! I love the atmosphere that we provide. Our goal was to be there for the girls and help them develop themselves, it was almost altruistic in nature, at least as a camp counselor-it has to be! Definitely challenging and I encountered a lot of personal growth along with that of the girls. The summer camp staff is always subject to change but both years I worked up at the camp I absolutely loved the camp staff! Weekends off were nice and the camp I worked at wasn't too far from my house. You're in the middle of nowhere, and so can't spend any of the money you earn. (Forced savings, yay!) Also, you get to spend a lot of time outside. That might not seem like a plus to some people, but you're in beautiful surroundings that you get the chance to appreciate every day. You get to temporarily run away from the real world every week. If everyone had a chance to do this, the world would be a better place. For real.

[See the *** portion of the Cons for more Pros.]

Cons

It really is hard work, with little benefits. You don't get paid much, but welcome to nonprofits. The focus is on the girls and not the employees, which can create resentment when the employees are run-down, sick, tired, and about ready to snap the next time someone asks "What are we having for dinner?" (The unit staff don't know this, that is up to the kitchen staff and kitchen staff alone. The girls, however, have a hard time figuring that out.) Children are difficult. Let's be real. The hardest job in the world is being a parent. Probably the second hardest is being a camp counselor for 10 weeks out of the summer. You don't really get any time to yourself-you technically get a two hour break every day but that time is supposed to be used to write parent and 'love' letters to the girls and their families, clean the staff lounge (which is a certifiable petty dish since no one ever does this), planning programming for the girls, additional paperwork, and a whole host of other things I'd prefer not to get into. Sometimes when there are communication lapses between staff things can go exceptionally wrong, at least in the eyes of the staff. (To the girls, unless they are older, everything seems planned.) Also, on the food, it is comfort food for the kiddos. This is fine if you're only attending camp for a week, require comfort, and have the metabolic abilities of a 9-year-old. It literally makes some staff sick at times, eating this way for so long. It has a profound impact on your body and physical health, and therefore your mental health as well. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to quit just because of the food.

***However, if you're doing this job, you're not really doing it for yourself or money in the first place. You can bring your own food to stash in the staff lounge. There are facilities in place to help with the mental health of staff members. Kids say the damn funniest things I've ever heard, and you can always feed off of their exuberant and curious energy. So please keep that in mind!!!

Longer breaks! Break times for staff rejuvenation and staff rejuvenation alone! Healthier food alternatives for the staff! More money! (Think: inflation. The price of everything is going up, including milk. I can't live without my milk. Therefore the amount we are paid needs to increase as well. Ever heard of college tuition?) Less scheduled time. The girls ask for it every single freaking day, and it wears the staff down very quickly. The girls need time to chill with each other and bond, especially the older girls. I wouldn't say no to scheduled nap-times either.

Not as wonderful as expected...

I worked at Girl Scouts USA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good seasonal day camp staff on the lower level. Some very caring individuals. Good aim of the organization. Wonderful time working with the girls.

Cons

Management is not very communicative. Treats seasonal employees like they are incompetent. Claims to want to foster growth but actually inhibits it completely within the day camp team.

Wonderful Organization for Girls!

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Passionate co workers and rewarding to see your work in action.

Cons

No work-life balance. Challenging management, no opportunity for growth

Girls Scouts of Greater Atlanta- Camp Misty Mountain

Former Employee - Riding Instructor in Armuchee, GA
    Former Employee - Riding Instructor in Armuchee, GA

I worked at Girl Scouts USA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great at placing workers where they want to be inside the camp, fairly competitive pay and decent amount of time off during the camp sessions.

Cons

Horrible camp director when I worked there. Understaffed which caused the barn workers to also act as counselors which was not in the job description. Since I left, a new camp director has been hired and from what I have heard things have gotten better.

Great work and life balance

Current Employee - Field Executive in Montclair, NJ
    Current Employee - Field Executive in Montclair, NJ

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great PTO, employee satisfaction driven

Cons

Lack of management at the senior level. Great vision but poor and unrealistic plans

Because girls matter!

Current Employee - Community Development Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Community Development Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

The work-life balance is unlike anything I have ever seen before. Whether it is vacation time, sick time, maternity leave, mileage, reimbursements, the benefits package of working for the Girl Scouts is incredibly generous. The leaders of the organization are in the sandbox with the front-facing employees, and there is not a huge discrepancy between how the top and bottom of the ladder is treated. The company truly puts girls first, although financials are obviously important to any nonprofit.

Cons

The compensation/salary is relatively low compared to other nonprofit organizations, but the work-life balance, benefits, and workplace culture more than make up for this.

I think that this company has great management in place that will take this traditional organization to new heights and produce the (girl) leaders of today and tomorrow.

Girl Scouts USA Photos