Girl Scouts USA Reviews

1. Good place to start your non-profit career

Former Employee - Program Director in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Program Director in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

This is a great place to work if you are new to non-profit. You can learn how to interact with a non-profit Board of Directors, various levels of management and volunteers. There is a flexible schedule, most GS Councils work on the local school schedules. A lot of work is done out of the office, this is good if you don't like sitting behind a desk all day long. The benefits and vacation time are good, but not as competitive as they could be. There is a lot of hiring from within, so once you are in there is a lot of room to move up. Hands on experience everywhere, lots of interaction with girls, parents, and volunteers.

Cons

While there is a lot of hiring from within, room to move up is minimal. Many of the upper Exec and Chief Officers have been there for a long time and are far away from retirement. This is due to the Girl Scout pension plan that was restructured several years ago. Being hired can take up to three months and is often dragged out. There are often people in lower roles that are not qualified for their positions, lots of staff coming from different backgrounds. There is little training when you are first hired. It is more of a learning as you go mentality. Lots of flexibility in your weekly schedule due to the many nights and weekends you will be asked to commit to. This is especially true for Membership and Programming staff. The pay is very low and not competitive with other non-profits.

Management should focus on hiring more staff with non-profit backgrounds and skills directly related to their jobs. The commitment to nights and weekends must be addressed to cut down on turnover. More PT staff can be brought on to do this. Volunteers are important to GS but cannot be relied on to do every aspect needed to the organization.

2. in transition

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great cause, mission to develop leadership for girls

Cons

Organization suffers from a lack of strategy execution.

stick with a plan and require accountability for results

3. Very Clique-y

Former Employee - Unit Leader in Mahomet, IL
    Former Employee - Unit Leader in Mahomet, IL

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Great values, fun environment, love working with kids

Cons

Very clique-y, hard to get in from outside, hard to move up without extensive connections

5. Girl Scouts of Connecticut is the worst pace to work if you have a family

Former Employee - Membership and Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Membership and Marketing Manager

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

The salary was a little higher than the average for this type of job

Cons

You are forced to work evenings, weekend hours and there are very few holidays off. Much of the evening work is above and beyond a 40 hour work week and is not compensated. For the position I held I worked at least 10-12 evening meeting per month. There is very little training, inconsistent policies, lack of support from Management.

Stop cutting positions and forcing the existing employees to pick up the slack unless you increase compensation. Let employees use flex time for the hours for the evening meetings and factor in travel time. As you reduce offices, more and more employees have to travel a greater distance to work and to after hour meetinggs

6. Council does not behave according to the standards they preach.

Current Employee - Accounting in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Accounting in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Comfortable environment, other departments were friendly, believed in the mission, somewhat flexible

Cons

Was interviewed for a position different than I applied for. Was told I would be trained on everything I needed to know. Very little training and it was assumed that I would have knowledge of processes that were never told to me. Was left to balance accounts that hadn't been balanced in over a year because they were going to be coming up for an audit. Direct supervisor was very cold and unapproachable. No clear chain of command. Controller would act one way to certain employees and to the CFO but very differently to those she didn't favor, all of which just happened to be of a different skin color than her own. Received multiple cruel and harassing remarks from supervisor due to my pregnancy. After two miscarriages was asked "is that really a good idea?" when I was pregnant again. When put on bed rest for one week, a temp was brought in to do my job and upon my return was told by my supervisor "this doesn't look good for you". After dealing with hostility and harassment went to HR, I was then written up as a form of punishment for reporting them. Tried to get into a different department but supervisor wouldn't allow it. She and the accountant caused so much hostility and unneeded stress. Accountant seemed to think she was my boss, when actually the controller was, but she didn't want to do her job. Tried to talk to the CFO on a few occasions when the other two were not around but he wasn't available. It was unfortunate because he was a really kind and reasonable man and I feel like things could have turned out much differently if I would have been able to talk to him.
    It saddens me because I had wanted to grow with the council and am still so confused as to why this goes on, especially with the Girl Scouts, of all organizations. Luckily the previous controller and accountant both seem to be gone. I know that I am not the only person that has experienced this. They could never keep anyone in my position because the accountant would run them off, and the controller was in cahoots with her and let her run the show. Many others in other departments felt the same disdain. I cannot speak for other councils but this was at GSEM.

Remember that diversity is an inclusion of all races working together for the greater good, not pushing every Caucasian employee out of their position.
    Take reports to HR seriously or you can have a law suit on your hands.

7. Membership

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Worked with great volunteers daily.

Cons

Very biased in advancement, often forgot to look within.

You have great employees. Utilize their talents, and find what their goals are.

8. Highly political, high turnover.

Former Employee - Just A Worker
    Former Employee - Just A Worker

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Helping underprivileged girls get leadership training. Decent benefits.

Cons

a lot of turnover. Mid management and under have low salaries. Top dogs earning six figures while others get only minimum wage.

No one wants to hear about Girl Scouts. Make it more exciting.

9. Great opportunity but somewhat unfair

Current Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Mableton, GA
    Current Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Mableton, GA

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Got to learn a lot about working with children.

Cons

favoritism and discrimination between employees

10. Community Development Specialist

Former Employee - Community Development Specialist in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Community Development Specialist in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work long hours but most of it is spent doing nothing
    Two-three weeks paid vacation during Christmas
    Half days on Fridays

Cons

Horrible upper management, Supervisor is only there because Corporate is afraid to fire hire
    Horrible work environment, everyone talks about each other and supervisor loves to pin employees against one another
    Supervisor is verbally abuse, will make you feel as though you are always ten steps behind her even if you do a good job
    Work long hours and weekends
    No proper or formal training, you are thrown into a room and supposed to know exactly what to do
    Low retention rate for a reason
    Benefits are horrible
    Can't advance at all, stuck in the same position forever
    Pay is very low but thats common for nonprofit

Fire supervisor, get a new person who knows how to manage employees and knows how to do her job.
    Learn how to properly train new employees.

11. If you long for the days of high school with mean girls, cliques and bullying, then this is the place for you.

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

This is a review for Girl Scouts NE KS & NW MO. The mission of the organization, the potential benefits for girls, and dedicated volunteers are the bright spots.

Cons

Girl Scouts NE KS & NW MO may "build girls of courage, character and confidence" but they treat their staff poorly. Staff talent goes unrecognized and there is no professional development. The Leadership team members' ethics are questionable at best. Hiring and firing practices are suspect, staff members and personnel issues are routinely discussed at leadership/directors meetings, and bully tactics are frequently used to "manage" subordinates.

Cronyism is alive and well at GSKSMO, as personal friends, businesses and contacts of Board Members and Leadership Team (CEO & VPs) members are hired as staff and/or consultants and used for contract services, even though others may be more qualified. The culture is one of fear and distrust with high turnover.

If you are considering working for this particular Girl Scout Council, my advice to you is to run and don't look back!

Your values should reflect the values and mission of the organization. Currently, they do not.

Girl Scouts USA Photos