Girl Scouts USA Reviews

Reset

1. Toxic environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Good benefits, the mission makes it seems like it is a progressive place, CEO tries to inspire.

Cons

Too many temps that are not made permanent which leads to the desire for many to work and believe in their work diminishes. A staff that is more concerned with gossip and your personal affairs than actual work. Middle management has no true vision of progressing the agency into the future and meeting girls where they are, no true outreach into communities that could benefit from girl scout programs.

Advice to Management

Hire staff that are not "green bloods" and focus on bringing on people who have diverse grass roots knowledge of outreach, diverse programming, and reignite core values of what is is/was to be a girl scout.

2. employment atmospher

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Loved helping girls get into troops. I made the job very rewarding.

Cons

This particular service unit favored more employee's over the other.

Advice to Management

Overlook cultural backgrounds as this is what Girl Scouts is all about. Coming together as one.

3. Work changes daily but not a good fit for those with outside commitments

Pros

Always Changing, good vacation time, yummy cookies and good camp programs

Cons

Lack of balance of work and personal life, high stress, resources to do job are outdated or not available

Advice to Management

Retreats to thank staff, make management be respectful, really focus on what Girl Scouting is about...the girls

5. Caution

Former Employee - Middle Management
    Former Employee - Middle Management

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with passionate and dedicated volunteers and girls.

Cons

Poor leadership with key leaders having no prior management experience. Micromanaging which results in staff turn over. Negative work environment and culture.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and restaff key leadership. Listen to dedicated staff and not one leadership position's opinion. Learn the organization by doing instead of relying on reports or leaning on the opinion of a few people in higher positions. Culture begins at the top.

6. Stay clear

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

Impact on girls and great mission.

Cons

Hours, lack of leadership direction, inability to secure grant funding, down in membership, reliance on cookie sales

Advice to Management

Get a clear vision. Be open to objective market research. Stay focused on the girl, not the brand.

7. Marketing

Current Employee - Digital Content Analyst in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Content Analyst in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment; friendly staff

Cons

Not much room for growth and promotion

8. Registrar

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Good coworkers, very good programs for the girls

Cons

Low salaries, no promotions and no raises, after many years working there.

Great mission

Former Employee - Consultant in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in Bronx, NY

I worked at Girl Scouts USA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission, always involved in doing great things for girls.

Cons

Not keeping great employees. Organization is being whittled down to nothing. Constant reorgs. Outsourcing alot of jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep your loyal emloyees. They are what made you great.

Negative Environment, Burn Out, and Bullies

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're lucky you get to work with the girls.

Cons

The organization needs to practice what they claim to teach girls: To live by the Girl Scout Law. There is no training, no one knows what they're doing, not enough human or financial resources to be successful, departments are in strong silos, staff is so burned out that they're negative, mean, and impossible to work with. The CEO is condescending, micromanaging, and overbearing, and does not invest in the employees, she had no interest in getting to know me as a person and I was a member of upper management. The board is disconnected, and the outsourced human resource agency is worthless. Nearly half the staff "moved on to other opportunities" within the 2 years I was there. Don't accept a position there unless you want to be under-appreciated and bullied.

Advice to Management

Hire a CEO who is a leader, not a micro-manager.

Don't Believe the Hype

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Instead of being broke, you receive a paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

1. There was a blatant lack of training and direction for employees. People around the office joked that "I've been here for 3 years now and I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do". I was frequently told I just have to figure things out on my own. 2. There was no introduction to Girl Scouts or the way they do things. I was escorted to a dirty, jam packed office (it had become a make-shift storage room since the previous person left and no one bothered to clean it out before I arrived) and left to "do my job". 3. When you didn't do your job correctly (despite receiving ZERO direction or a breakdown of how to do things) you get fussed at instead of helped. Supervisors took no criticism and instead blamed you for not figuring it out…0_o 4. IT'S ALL A FACADE! The programs the girls participate in are nothing more than Pinterest ideas with Walmart supplies. Other departments are too stressed to administer quality programs and the girls can come buy what ever patch/badge they want from the office. 5. The "awards" are an absolute joke. No one follows the guidelines and girls who turn in broken sentences, horrid grammar, and elementary projects are given the highest Girl Scout honor (the Gold Award). Employees would rather give out awards than deal with parent backlash despite their daughter's lack of effort. 6. There's no opportunities for advancement. Everyone is on the same level outside of the CEO & COO. 7. HORRIBLE work life balance. You basically work EVERY weekend. 8. In a 2 month span the CEO was fired, the CFO "retired"…, the head of HR "retired"…, the development director took another position, and then the COO was let go as well. There's no upper level management because the all (except those who were fired) secretly disliked their jobs. 9. The board of directors are a bunch of bullies. RUN! RUN FAR AWAY!

Advice to Management

There's way too many things to even waste my time commenting on. One star is a very gracious rating.

RSS Feed </> Embed