Girl Scouts USA

Updated December 11, 2014
2.9

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez
Anna Maria Chávez

Pros
  • You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference (in 11 reviews)

• The work-life balance is unlike anything I have ever seen before (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization (in 16 reviews)

• Exceptionally disorganized- even for a non-profit (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work and life balance

Current Employee - Field Executive in Montclair, NJ
    Current Employee - Field Executive in Montclair, NJ

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great PTO, employee satisfaction driven

Cons

Lack of management at the senior level. Great vision but poor and unrealistic plans

Girls Scouts of Greater Atlanta- Camp Misty Mountain

Former Employee - Riding Instructor in Armuchee, GA
    Former Employee - Riding Instructor in Armuchee, GA

I worked at Girl Scouts USA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great at placing workers where they want to be inside the camp, fairly competitive pay and decent amount of time off during the camp sessions.

Cons

Horrible camp director when I worked there. Understaffed which caused the barn workers to also act as counselors which was not in the job description. Since I left, a new camp director has been hired and from what I have heard things have gotten better.

Because girls matter!

Current Employee - Community Development Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Community Development Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

The work-life balance is unlike anything I have ever seen before. Whether it is vacation time, sick time, maternity leave, mileage, reimbursements, the benefits package of working for the Girl Scouts is incredibly generous. The leaders of the organization are in the sandbox with the front-facing employees, and there is not a huge discrepancy between how the top and bottom of the ladder is treated. The company truly puts girls first, although financials are obviously important to any nonprofit.

Cons

The compensation/salary is relatively low compared to other nonprofit organizations, but the work-life balance, benefits, and workplace culture more than make up for this.

I think that this company has great management in place that will take this traditional organization to new heights and produce the (girl) leaders of today and tomorrow.

Great, caring staff

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The girls are the number one priority

Cons

Upper Management has changed over the past year and the new focus for her is dollars. She does keep the girls in mind but only because she is obligated to do so.

Making Changes Can Be Good

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work schedules is a great benefit, leadership is improving, health benefits are good. Staff is generally friendly to newcomers. Lots of opportunity for growth in various disciplines and cross-functional work teams. Great variety of people and ethnicities that all seem to work well together in respect of backgrounds and skills.

Cons

Culture can stand even more improvement, promotions are very slow unless you are well connected. New staff have to prove their worth to the old guard; although many of the old guard is gone. Not many tradition holders left in the central office which could endanger the movement if tradtion is not valued.

Spend more time walking the talk and less time telling staff about minute culture shifts. Be open to hearing how you need to change along with others in the organization.

Very well organized and so many friendly people

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Prefect would not change a thing

Cons

nothing that i can think of that this point

Loved my experience as scamp counselor

Current Employee - Camp Counselor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Camp Counselor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are amazing. A good summer job

Cons

Very unorganized. Never really knew what I was supposed to be doing. The pay is very low

Doesn't Live Up to Mission

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time

Pros

The best thing about working at GSDH was the staff - without my teammates, I would have left this job long before I actually did.

Cons

This was an awful place to work due to lack of proper management and lack of professionalism and support from Headquarters. Employees were treated with a lack of respect and as if their opinions and professional ideas did not count or weren't good enough. Staff were talked down to by direct management. Management, particularly Headquarters, did not support employees when issues were discussed.

Lots of support, great work environment

Former Employee - Membership Outreach Facilitator in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Membership Outreach Facilitator in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Girl Scouts USA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a great organization, and the employees tend to be very passionate and dedicated. There's a supportive and friendly work environment, and each individual's professional development is treated as important.

Cons

Due to budget constraints, understaffing is sometimes a problem. This can result in too high of expectations or some important tasks being under-prioritized.

Will crap stick to the wall if you throw it with enough force?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Girl Scouts USA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Girl Scouts are upstanding, inspirational human beings, and the majority of volunteers that I interacted with were wholly dedicated to the organization's mission and invested in these girls' lives.

Cons

Let's get the petty stuff out of the way: The pay sucks. There's no room for advancement. No career development. Micromanagement from the top-down. No trust in lower level employees or in volunteers. No guidance provided to new employees. No vision for what the organization should be. Staff turnover is very high and morale is nonexistent. Office politics are brutal, with staff members being more than willing to build their careers on the backs of their colleagues. Some staff members exceed their goals and have their accomplishments ignored, while others miss their marks by huge margins and are still kept on staff year after year. A half-hearted attempt at strategic planning is underway at the moment, but so far it's only resulted in a major facility/program being shuttered due to under-use and the Legal team being fired. Nearly every high-profile, glitzy fundraising event turns in a financial loss for the organization. The new CEO seems to mean well, but after six years of losing at least $1M a year, this organization needs a complete overhaul before it bleeds to death, starting with most of the C-Team.

But even worse than that? The Chicagoland council doesn't know its audience. Upper management has no idea who these girls are, in part because the potential audience is so enormous (population-wise and demographically), and they have no interest in figuring out how they can better serve girls. They don't care to distinguish between rich North Shore suburbanites, working class Indianans, and their diverse urban audience--programming, marketing, and membership use a one-size-fits-all approach that misses so many girls who'd otherwise love the Girl Scouting experience. The board makes decisions without asking those served by the organization, and management follows in lockstep without questioning the wisdom. The rest of us fight for the scraps, trying anything we can think of allowed by our limited resources to attract girls and constantly failing.

The Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana doesn't serve girls, it serves itself.

Place most of the management team under professional development plans with concrete benchmarks for improvement, or termination will be the result.
    Imbue all staff with the autonomy to do their jobs; end the micromanagement. A C-Team member doesn't need to approve decisions made by entry level staff.
    Increase professional development opportunities, promote from within, and end interdepartmental competition for revenue.
    Reinforce the mission and remind everyone CONSTANTLY to be a sister (or brother) to every Girl Scout. Find meaningful ways to eliminate the toxicity of the office culture. Hold all employees to the same set of standards.

Girl Scouts USA Photos