Girl Scouts USA

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014

Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez
Anna Maria Chávez

Pros
  • You get a chance to be a contributor and feel like you are making a difference (in 10 reviews)

• Great mission, some fabulous people, great learning opportunity (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It's non-profit pay, so there's that (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management exhibits a double standard that contradicts the goals of the organization (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Leading organization to promote leadership development in girls.

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

The advantage of working with this organization is there will be lots of fun projects to promote. Special interest groups reach out to the Girl Scouts to help support and promote issues in the local, national and global community.

Cons

Future employers don't see it as a "real" job. Future employers can't imagine that the organization does anything other than offer camping opportunities or sell cookies.

Leadership challenges.

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mission for girls.

Cons

Self centered top management using the organization to advance their own careers.

Listen to middle management. They work on the front lines with the staff that serve Girl Scout councils.

Great summer job

I worked at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

Awesome rewarding experience and great leadership

Cons

There are none that I can think of

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Girl Scouts of Northern Illinois

Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer  in  Elgin, IL
    Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Elgin, IL

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

GSNI provides a chance for motivated employees to contribute to engaging plans of work.

Cons

Challenging future of lower membership and declining public support.

Continue to build capacity around girl led projects and away from property holdings.

Organization pursuing building girls into leaders

Current Employee - Membership Specialist  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Membership Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Do not micromanage, great coworkers

Cons

Terrible follow through for employees, volunteers and girls

There needs to be better communication and consistency.

A Decent pay for amount of work

Former Employee - Maintenance  in  Spicer, MN
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Spicer, MN

I worked at Girl Scouts USA part-time for less than a year

Pros

you're always working outside, mowing, weed whiping, cleaning up brush

Cons

you're the only employee incharge of keeping the grounds clean

I had a great experience during my internship at Girl Scouts on Staten Island.

Former Employee - Hispanic Outreach Intern  in  Staten Island, NY
    Former Employee - Hispanic Outreach Intern in Staten Island, NY

I worked at Girl Scouts USA as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone was super friendly and helpful
    The work was fun and engaging
    I got to meet a lot of people in the community and attend a lot of community events
    They really care about the difference they are making in girls' lives
    Flexible schedule (changed depending on events we had to attend, and my school schedule)

Cons

No true cons
    I only worked here for a short time, but I thought it was a great place to work

They should offer more internships to college students, it would be a great advantage to both sides.

Amazing Place to Work

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

High Morale, Very Helpful atmosphere, Senior Executives easy to get along with and very receptive to ideas.

Cons

There is a very high turnover rate of employees.

This was truly an amazing company to work for.

Wonderful, supportive, mission-driven organization

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA

Pros

The culture at Girl Scouts, Arizona Cactus-Pine, is wonderfully supportive with a consistent, passionate vision provided by the CEO. The quality of employees and co-workers is excellent, with dedicated, talented people filling the organization. There is also a high level of management commitment to personal and professional development of employees at every level.

Cons

The expectation is that each employee be focused and committed to the organization and the mission and do what it takes to complete the task at hand. This results in a high level of energy and time required. Luckily, almost everyone is high-energy and as passionate as the CEO.

Keep up the good work! It's a great, exciting environment!

Courage, Confidence, and Character - but only for the girls

Former Employee - Membership Specialist At Local Council  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Membership Specialist At Local Council in Omaha, NE

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The girls are truely transformed from their Girl Scout experience. It's amazing to be a part of that as a staff member. Also, the workerbee staff are such amazing women. I've made life long friends with my office mates.

Cons

As a former membership specialist, the writing was on the wall shortly after realignment. There was a push from the top that girls be recruited no matter the cost. Volunteers where short changed, programming wasn't up to the task of supporting girls without troops and time marched on.

Bring us to today and now all the girl scouts that were recruited through one time events at the expense of volunteer recruitment has hit the wall. Now membership is in steep decline across the state and key volunteers stopped volunteering because the experience wasn't fun anymore because of all the additional bureaucracy.

My team was ripped apart and individual goals became more important than team goals resulting in bad culture in the office. Everyone felt overwork and executive staff just didn't care. Feedback from staff was discouraged and openly hostile to staff with "courage, confidence, and character". They wanted staff to be compliant and just do as they were told. I have never worked in such a hostile environment.

The worst part is that staff feel like they can't say anything ever to improve the working situation because it may hurt girl membership. Well....girl membership is hurting anyways.

It's time for a new CEO and a back to basics approach. Believe in your staff and believe in girl scout volunteers. Stop actually like a bureaucracy and allow staff and volunteers the ability to do what they do best, engage girls in the greatest girl organization in the country. It breaks my heart to look at the membership numbers and thinking about all the missed opportunities for the girls.

You keep losing amazing staff (which always is followed by a drop in membership) because of extremely stressful and unhappy working conditions.

Worked for Girl Scouts USA? Contribute to the Community!