Girls Inc

Updated January 14, 2015
Updated January 14, 2015
4.0

Joyce M. Roché

Great place, top notch, but...

Current Employee - Temporary in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Temporary in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Girls Inc

Pros

The satisfaction of knowing that while working for them you are helping change the lives of young women in your area is awesome enough, but there is more. The staff is loving and kind and really want to get to know you personally and about your life. No one working for this company is mean or vindictive. They also take volunteers for their events and around the office and such which is a great way to intern!

Cons

Sadly if you work for them you don't get paid what you are worth. I worked in many different areas in the office such as IT, graphic design, labor, etc. for them and should have been making at least $15 an hour. I was being paid half that. Sadly part of the reason was I was hired through a temp agency, but it unfortunately wasn't enough to live on and I eventually had to take a higher paying job... that after three years I regretted. This is a con, surely, but after all they are a non profit agency so I took this in stride. While I was not pleased at how much I was making I do have to say I helped changed people's lives and to me personally what more could you ask for?

None! Management at Girls Inc. is amazing. Maybe, just maaaaaybe... tone down on the religious stuff? Some people were a little too much into Jesus for my tastes.

I loved working for Girls Inc.

I worked at Girls Inc

Pros

I was able to learn a lot and enjoyed the laid-back environment

Cons

Because it was a nonprofit, there was no salary

Love Girls Inc.

I worked at Girls Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great mission and very effective programs

Cons

pay on lower end, could be bigger than it is

Girls Inc of Alameda County, CA

Current Employee - Classroom Instructor in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Classroom Instructor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Girls Inc part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My experience at Girls Inc was good overall. My favorite aspects of the organization included the girls I worked with, the incredible leadership of Zakiya, the freedom to basically create my own curriculum and run my classroom how I wanted, and the experience of watching the girls grow over an entire summer. I worked with the high school cohorts in grades 9-11 and from the Thrive workshops at the beginning of the summer to the Eurekathon at the end, I witnessed an amazing transformation in all of my girls. They learned valuable skills about career and college readiness, health and well-being, and more.

Cons

At times, I felt I had little direction as a classroom facilitator. Granted, the whole staff received training during the first couple of days of the program in order to better understand and work with the girls however, I felt this training was really geared towards the instructors who worked with younger cohorts. In high school aged youth, you don't see the same problems and issues as you would in middle schoolers. It would have been great to get more direction on how to best work with the girls I was working with and how to best grow as an instructor. Also, I felt the staff was often very cliquey and most of the time, I did not feel like I fit in quite as much as others did.

N/A

Although stressful at times it is also extremely rewarding

Current Employee - Program Advisor in Lynn, MA
    Current Employee - Program Advisor in Lynn, MA

I have been working at Girls Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with kids can be extremely rewarding and insightful. You are reminded every day why you work for this organization and why what you do is extremely vital. It's just a place with such great energy !

Cons

Promotions from within were rare for individuals in lower level positions.

Value your employees as much you value the youth you serve because employees that work for you give their heart and souls everyday.

I worked at Girls Inc

Pros

giving back to the community

Cons

some locations are very unorganized

Hard work, good mission, bad pay

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Girls Inc part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with girls and impacting their lives is amazing.

Cons

Respect from President was low. Pay was very, very low.

Raise pay. Give more respect. Stop speaking condescendingly.

Employee Review for Washington DC branch

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Girls Inc as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

If you love teenaged girls this is a great job. You Really get to make a difference in the lives of these girls and be mentors to female that really need mentors. A lot of the girls have had a rough patch thus they are a little rebellious. Organization has a good goal and can really make a difference.

Cons

Company was very disorganized. I interned there for the summer they didn't pay me, but i did it from my heart. They had ridiculous request of things I should do, like clean up after the girls left. Sweeping and putting away supplies were acceptable but when they requested to clean the bathroom I was through. The organization was VERY disorganized.

Employees would stay and be constant if they felt appreciated and that management actually knew what they were doing. Organization would help

Volunteer as a girls guide at elementary school

Former Employee - Volunteer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Portland, OR

I worked at Girls Inc part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The organization itself has heart and very admirable goals. Training and general course structure is very well organized and based in actual research. The people who work there are genuine and really seem to believe in the work they do.

Cons

Lovely ideas, poor execution. The materials simply are not age-specific enough to be accurately and effectively taught. Although this is partly due to specific schools, teachers and volunteers are thrown into a classroom setting with a binder and little guidance.

I Think I Chose A Bad Chapter

Current Employee - Volunteer in Smyrna, GA
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Smyrna, GA

I have been working at Girls Inc as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Working with young women to better themselves and teaching them life skills, history, current events, self reliance, etc.

Cons

I volunteered for a very disorganized chapter in Smyrna, GA. I felt like there was very loose structure and we did not help the girls as much as we could have.