Girls Inc Reviews

Updated March 16, 2015
26 reviews filtered by
3.9
Joyce M. Roché

1. Working at Girls Inc of Alameda Co allowed me to inspire girls to be Strong, Smart & Bold while I developed leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Girls Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A mostly female environment that encourages open communication and empowering young girls and women. An organization that values its employees through professional development, training and mentors. Working with passionate and like-minded women to address education and social justice issues with girls of all ages.

Cons

As it is a nonprofit, the salaries and positions available are limited. It can be difficult to move up within the organization because of the limited Manager and Director positions. The salaries are competitive with nonprofits in the area but not comparable to the cost of living in the Bay Area and the for-profit companies.

2. An excellent volunteer experience.

I worked at Girls Inc

Pros

Feels like family. You grow very close to the girls in a very short amount of time

Cons

The same as the pro. Sometimes can be hard to fit in

3. Rewarding is the least I could say.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Girls Inc as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

the experience is tremendous, the interactions with the smart young ladies in the classroom is rewarding in that you learn as they learn from you.

Cons

Work studies don't receive enough credit but they are recognized

5. Great place to work with girls

I have been working at Girls Inc

Pros

If you like working with children and believe that there is a serious need for female empowerment then you should join this organization.

Cons

There was very little training and compensation for extra time and resources is not available.

Advice to Management

Consider seeking funding to compensate employees for their above and beyond efforts.

6. Great place, top notch, but...

Current Employee - Temporary in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Temporary in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Girls Inc

Pros

The satisfaction of knowing that while working for them you are helping change the lives of young women in your area is awesome enough, but there is more. The staff is loving and kind and really want to get to know you personally and about your life. No one working for this company is mean or vindictive. They also take volunteers for their events and around the office and such which is a great way to intern!

Cons

Sadly if you work for them you don't get paid what you are worth. I worked in many different areas in the office such as IT, graphic design, labor, etc. for them and should have been making at least $15 an hour. I was being paid half that. Sadly part of the reason was I was hired through a temp agency, but it unfortunately wasn't enough to live on and I eventually had to take a higher paying job... that after three years I regretted. This is a con, surely, but after all they are a non profit agency so I took this in stride. While I was not pleased at how much I was making I do have to say I helped changed people's lives and to me personally what more could you ask for?

Advice to Management

None! Management at Girls Inc. is amazing. Maybe, just maaaaaybe... tone down on the religious stuff? Some people were a little too much into Jesus for my tastes.

7. I loved working for Girls Inc.

I worked at Girls Inc

Pros

I was able to learn a lot and enjoyed the laid-back environment

Cons

Because it was a nonprofit, there was no salary

8. Love Girls Inc.

I worked at Girls Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great mission and very effective programs

Cons

pay on lower end, could be bigger than it is

9. Girls Inc of Alameda County, CA

Current Employee - Classroom Instructor in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Classroom Instructor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Girls Inc part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My experience at Girls Inc was good overall. My favorite aspects of the organization included the girls I worked with, the incredible leadership of Zakiya, the freedom to basically create my own curriculum and run my classroom how I wanted, and the experience of watching the girls grow over an entire summer. I worked with the high school cohorts in grades 9-11 and from the Thrive workshops at the beginning of the summer to the Eurekathon at the end, I witnessed an amazing transformation in all of my girls. They learned valuable skills about career and college readiness, health and well-being, and more.

Cons

At times, I felt I had little direction as a classroom facilitator. Granted, the whole staff received training during the first couple of days of the program in order to better understand and work with the girls however, I felt this training was really geared towards the instructors who worked with younger cohorts. In high school aged youth, you don't see the same problems and issues as you would in middle schoolers. It would have been great to get more direction on how to best work with the girls I was working with and how to best grow as an instructor. Also, I felt the staff was often very cliquey and most of the time, I did not feel like I fit in quite as much as others did.

Advice to Management

N/A

10. Although stressful at times it is also extremely rewarding

Current Employee - Program Advisor in Lynn, MA
    Current Employee - Program Advisor in Lynn, MA

I have been working at Girls Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with kids can be extremely rewarding and insightful. You are reminded every day why you work for this organization and why what you do is extremely vital. It's just a place with such great energy !

Cons

Promotions from within were rare for individuals in lower level positions.

Advice to Management

Value your employees as much you value the youth you serve because employees that work for you give their heart and souls everyday.

11. I worked at Girls Inc

Pros

giving back to the community

Cons

some locations are very unorganized