Girls Inc Reviews

Joyce M. Roché

1. Facillitator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I have been working at Girls Inc part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Always learning something new great staff great program for girls

Cons

not enough planning time 14 students/1 teacher ratio

Advice to Management

With such high expectations for detailed, hands-on activities, facilitators need more time to plan.

2. Onsite Coordinator

I worked at Girls Inc full-time

Pros

Very strong commitment to the mission statement. Draws in experienced individuals. Serves many families throughout the age spectrum 6-18. Strong focus on intentional and compensatory activities as well as high school graduation and attending college. The passion is clearly there and if this is the right fit for you, there is the potential to work in many areas of direct service in the agency. Collaboration with many other agencies and companies with a new Downtown Oakland location. Media attention, exposure and branding increasingly present in the community.

Cons

Senior leadership is often out of touch with what group leaders and coordinators need at the program level. Compensation for direct service staff is low for what is expected of them, without pay increases over many years of service. Promotion and other opportunities seem to be saved for certain people and not always accessible to others. There is a strong sensitivity when staff speak up and provide constructive criticism, ideas, and requests for change. It is not always received well, but that varies. The culture of the agency is not one that promotes work-life balance, although certain managers may emphasize it more to their team. Budget is large but program budgets stay the same, even when trying to expand programming. It takes a great deal of advocating to get what you and our program need to get to the next level. Evaluation is inconsistent at best but they are working on improving the system. New building layout does not currently maximize program space for girls. The organization has been around for well over 50 years and many traditions are set in senior management's minds although they strive to have a culture of learning. It's a challenge to bring newness to the agency and can take a long time. It is a challenge to provide equal amounts of accessibility and learning for donors and families; they are two completely different groups and they need to be catered to equally in terms of information and marketing.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff at all levels. Provide more opportunities in different ways to show appreciation. Evaluate staff evenly and consistently. Visit programming when there are not special events happening to get a sense of the groups throughout the year, both onsite and offsite. Remember that constructive criticism is not personal and be open to listening to what staff have to say. Figure out how to offer more incentives to stay if pay raises are still not an option. Continue to grow but remember the capacities needed to sustain the growth.

3. Not great, not terrible

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Girls Inc (More than a year)

Pros

Summer hours and relaxed atmosphere in terms of dress code.

Cons

Supportive environment with people who are on your level. Upper management is snarky and uninformed. No room for growth.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for your employees to grow instead of leaving. More supportive coaching for department heads.

5. Culture and Heritage Faciltator

I worked at Girls Inc part-time

Pros

Awesome organization that really works for the girls they provide services for

Cons

Needs more roles for employees to advance in

6. Working at Girls Inc of Alameda Co allowed me to inspire girls to be Strong, Smart & Bold while I developed leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Girls Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A mostly female environment that encourages open communication and empowering young girls and women. An organization that values its employees through professional development, training and mentors. Working with passionate and like-minded women to address education and social justice issues with girls of all ages.

Cons

As it is a nonprofit, the salaries and positions available are limited. It can be difficult to move up within the organization because of the limited Manager and Director positions. The salaries are competitive with nonprofits in the area but not comparable to the cost of living in the Bay Area and the for-profit companies.

7. An excellent volunteer experience.

I worked at Girls Inc

Pros

Feels like family. You grow very close to the girls in a very short amount of time

Cons

The same as the pro. Sometimes can be hard to fit in

8. Great place to work with girls

I have been working at Girls Inc

Pros

If you like working with children and believe that there is a serious need for female empowerment then you should join this organization.

Cons

There was very little training and compensation for extra time and resources is not available.

Advice to Management

Consider seeking funding to compensate employees for their above and beyond efforts.

9. Great place, top notch, but...

Current Employee - Temporary in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Temporary in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Girls Inc

Pros

The satisfaction of knowing that while working for them you are helping change the lives of young women in your area is awesome enough, but there is more. The staff is loving and kind and really want to get to know you personally and about your life. No one working for this company is mean or vindictive. They also take volunteers for their events and around the office and such which is a great way to intern!

Cons

Sadly if you work for them you don't get paid what you are worth. I worked in many different areas in the office such as IT, graphic design, labor, etc. for them and should have been making at least $15 an hour. I was being paid half that. Sadly part of the reason was I was hired through a temp agency, but it unfortunately wasn't enough to live on and I eventually had to take a higher paying job... that after three years I regretted. This is a con, surely, but after all they are a non profit agency so I took this in stride. While I was not pleased at how much I was making I do have to say I helped changed people's lives and to me personally what more could you ask for?

Advice to Management

None! Management at Girls Inc. is amazing. Maybe, just maaaaaybe... tone down on the religious stuff? Some people were a little too much into Jesus for my tastes.

10. I loved working for Girls Inc.

I worked at Girls Inc

Pros

I was able to learn a lot and enjoyed the laid-back environment

Cons

Because it was a nonprofit, there was no salary

11. Love Girls Inc.

I worked at Girls Inc full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great mission and very effective programs

Cons

pay on lower end, could be bigger than it is

RSS Feed </> Embed