Give Something Back

Solid Company!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Give Something Back full-time

Pros

The giving is real. GSB actually donates profits to the community! The people are nice and the environment is fun and energetic! High performance is rewarded.

Cons

GSB hires people who wouldn't normally be considered at other companies. When people learn more and get into the company they gain enough experience and then leave-so sometimes turnover is high.

GSB talks the talk, and walks the walk. Great company, with great people!

A downhill spiral

Current Employee - Sales in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Give Something Back full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You start out feeling great about what you do to help this company contribute to the community!

Cons

The longer you work there, the more they take your willingness to contribute for granted. You start to feel trapped in an endless cycle of buffoonery. After awhile you feel desperate for the next day off and dread going in for yet another round of ridiculousness.

Pay your people what they're worth and they'll work like they're supposed to! And please pay them on time.

A Lesson in How A Company Can Make You Hate Your Job

Current Employee - Sales in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Give Something Back full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a new employee, it is almost intoxicating how great it feels to be part of doing good for the community.

Cons

Decides what it wants to pay their reps several times during the year. Doesn't train but expects you to ramp up quickly, then fires you because you haven't met company expectations. Every implementation you go through is ill-thought through, leaving employees confused up to and including paychecks.

Change from vacation and sick days to personal days. Give consideration to how adversely change affects employees in the best situation and avoid making anymore until there is confidence that you've strived for the best. After all, you ask for that from your team. We should get the same in return.

Advocate

I have been working at Give Something Back full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment and up beat people from all walks of life. Not much pressure placed on metric driven results. They give back what they make to those who don't have... The owner's walk the walk when it comes to making the world a better place, no Porsche's or Lambo's out front and no reserved CEO parking.

Cons

Base pay is low and bonus is not inline with like jobs within the industry. Technology is improving, however they are behind the curve considering they are on the fringe of the largest technology based area in the world. Pricing is all over the place and one might wonder were the direction of the company is coming from.....

Hire the best talent you can get, over pay if need be and provide clear direction of were you are going and hold everyone accountable for success.

Great mission, great customers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Give Something Back full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company profits really go back to nonprofit organizations. This company was started with a great idea and has kept that part of the company pure. Decisions about who gets funding are democratically decided with ballots going to customers and employees annually. That's pretty cool.

Cons

Some of the Directors play favorites. CEO has trouble making decisions.

Do not be fooled!!! It's not about people and products, but more like power and prestige!

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Give Something Back full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The business model is fantastic and has the market opportunity for the company to grow into something special. The people are great to work with as co-employees have an heart of gold. Provides some beneficial support and training.

Cons

Communication and transparency could use much help. Leadership, management style, and culture is stuck back in the 80's. Almost no growth opportunities from within and the compensation is not aligned with the market or their job description. The overall company provides a adequate place to earn a check just keep you off the poverty level. It can be toxic to the spirit for any hardworking person with a good heart.

Begin to look at your people as assets and not just another person that does not seem to fit your expectation. Reinvent your leadership/management perspective by allowing yourself to accept open feedback to what employees desire. Release the authoritative perspective and approach to you drive growth initiatives. In the end your impact will not be determined on conventional results!!!

It was a job... but you felt like you were in high school, with the upper management playing favorites.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Give Something Back

Pros

They give back to the community. You get the "good" feeling of helping others out.

Cons

If you weren't a "favorite" of upper management, your life span at GSB was going to be short, for as long as they got a few sales out of you. Take forever to hire and then train, but not quick to assist when customer relationships were in danger, and even quicker to fire, instead of helping our their employee.

Great Mission Statement and Purpose- Poor Job Growth Possibilities

Current Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Give Something Back

Pros

I genuinely felt as if I was doing something important and worthwhile for the community. I was happy to come in to work. The managers treated the employees great, in fact because of he size of the company it felt like a family.

Cons

It is not a place for you if you desire career advancement. This company is not bad in fact it is one of the best places I worked but it definitely has to fit with what you are looking for and the type of person that you are.

Provide growth opportunities for employees. The president should not be concerned so much about the day to day operation of the company but instead set the strategic goals and then have the team execute. This is one of the main reasons the company has not grown.

If you can cold call, you can be giving something back!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Give Something Back

Pros

Inspiring management. If all company's shared this business model, America and the world would rejoice in a utopian society. The business model is based off the same model as Paul Newman's salad dressing. Attending the donation event functions are a lot of fun. Seeing the needy being handed $500 - $25,000 checks is amazing.

Cons

I bet everybody reading this post thinks I work for the company. I used to. If you can manage a territory and cold call F2F every business in your territory, and can sell office supplies (same inventory as Staples or Office Depot), then you can be successful here. Unfortunately it didn't work out for me, but GSB was a great place to work, I enjoyed my time, management was great because at its heart its a small family business doing good for the community.

Keep the sales force inspired and incentivized (sp?).

Overall the company is good at heart.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at Give Something Back

Pros

The company had a real good family atmosphere. The commitment to the community is tremendous and their B corp status is a unique business model that adds to the lure of the company.

Cons

Because the company is not very big and expansion is the not the priority of the company finding other position with in the company and or advancement is very difficult and almost none existence.

The philosophy of the company is great, I would say continue to work on the internal culture of the company and modernize the work structures.

Give Something Back Photos

Co Founders Mike Hannigan and Sean Marx
GSB employees delivering a donation check to a nonprofit

+ Add Photo