Givex

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Don Gray

One month probation, long enough to write this review

Software Developer (Current Employee)

Prospeople are really nice. I always feel comfortable to ask questions.
    great location, 10-15 mins walk to TTC subway, close to timmy, bank and everything.
    good start for a new comer like me who don't have too much options.

ConsOffice is more like open factory. As a programmer, I just can't feel comfortable on my seat.
    44 hours is not big deal, but working hour is pretty rigid.
    After 9 am, you boss will start looking for you. This is the way they manage people.

Advice to Senior ManagementFruit is nice, but isn't really matter.

You are a factory worker...

Software Developer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Fresh Fruit
    - Good opportunity for new Canadians

Cons- Too long office hours
    - No microwave
    - Too much office politics
    - They belittle you if you don't do great in a system
    - Benefits too long to take (vacation)

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should revamp on your organization, and try a different approach on how you see your employees as "warriors". Warriors need some rest.

Account Manager

Client Services Account Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFree fruit.
    City Centre office location
    Casual dress.

ConsPolicies
    Backstabbing.
    Blame culture
    CEO's wife
    No vacation or time off for the first year of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many Managers. Stop throwing titles with not real meaning. I had never work on a company before where every single new member start with a Manager title.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Manager

QA/Project Management/Program Administrative/Client Services (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat location, fruit, some staff are very nice

ConsWork hours is too long - 44hrs instead of 40

Advice to Senior ManagementChange work hours or pay extra

Integration Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFast paced good for newly immigrant

Consmicro managing manager always say stupid

Get some experience and move on

QA Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDowntown Toronto location is nice.
    Easy place to get a job if you have a relevant degree.

ConsMandated hours are ridiculous - horrible way to create productivity. They will try to milk you for everything you can provide, and string you along with eventual promotions. Starting salaries are low. Most are at this place with no intention of sticking around long-term, and the culture reflects it. If I remember correctly, owners live in some tax haven island 51% of the year or whatever is required to technically not pay taxes or something along those lines.. So realize what you are part of..

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've found a formula that works for you, and reflects current economics and the need for jobs and experience for those looking to get into IT or Sales. And you've managed to retain the important people you need to keep the ship afloat throughout. Unfortunately this is reflected on a site like this, but that will probably not hinder you in maintaining your approach.

Project Manager (UK)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros* Free fruits..
    * Good location
    * That's it.

Cons* Full of lies trying to get you to join the company.

* No qualified or certified project managers in the company. They pretend they are professional but they just lie to the clients to get more time (poor time management).

* Not organised, not time efficient.

* You get no annual leave for the first 12 months of joining, and when asked why is this policy in place? they respond... to prove yourself... what a load of crap.

* No smoking policy, this is so that you wouldn't use up company time to go outside to smoke.

* Kiss butt mentality, if you don't kiss your managers but you won't get anywhere. Some of the individuals are so inexperienced and poorly skilled but they kiss butt, thus they end up in a good position and always get bonuses each year. If you are honest and hard working and don't kiss butt, you will get poor performance review at the end of the year.

* The MDs in the company are a joke, they think the are real MDs. All they are is a puppet to the CEO who builds a work atmosphere that sucks the joy and the life out of all employees.

* If they feel that you may have an interview coming up with a different company, they will not allow you to take that day off. It will be refused without any reason.

* They make you change desks around every 2 months so that you would never feel 'too comfortable'.

* Oh and they pay is crap, especially if you consider the fact that you get minimal holidays and minimum 44 hours a week. Honestly, the work can be completed in 35 hours max 40 hours. Yet they make you sit around and pretend that you're working.

* They use this application called Jobjar, you have to write every little thing you do in the day, even if it's something small like: responding 'yes' or 'no' in an email.

* A senior manager from another company would never join Givex nor would Givex take someone on. GiveX company culture is to take on a desperate employee and turn his mind to think 'it's the best you're going to get'. So this lonely sheep ends up working his butt off at minimal wage and maximum hours and he/she gets promoted.

* HR is just stupid, 1 bloody HR in the entire company and he never responds to your email. What a joke!

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is such a low-life company that there is no hope in the company's sad managers to ever improve... My advice would be to go public or get bought out by someone who knows how to make money for the company and also build good moral.

They have fresh fruit

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe attractive salary they offer is the ONLY reason people stay at Givex, but that loses its lustre after awhile.

Cons- Horrible management
    - Next to no benefits
    - 44 hour weeks with no room for working at home unless you're a manager

Advice to Senior ManagementSend your employees on workshops, foster an open environment (the office being devoid of walls does not mean open). This company runs on fear and a blame culture starting from the top. Consider why you have such high turnover.

Get in and Get out!!!!

Quality Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Some smart, cool people in the company
    - downtown location
    - casual dress code

Cons- long mandatory work hours 8:30 - 6
    - no kitchen/microwave in the office... yes, that is correct.
    - salaries are not competitive
    - company is all about profits
    - extremely low morale
    - NO sick days. NO vacation days in the first year!!!
    - company takes it as an offense if you are a smoker
    - horrible training. just throw you in with the lions!!!!
    - I don't remember any benefits package

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Have a look at the moral in the company to see what's really going on! Employees are frustrated and not happy! A happy employee is a more productive employee. This workplace is the total opposite of what's going on in the modern day workplaces like Facebook, Amazon, Google!

QA

QA Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-There are fruits in the table almost everyday, you are free to eat :)

Cons-no microwave to heat your lunch
    -too much time spent at work (more than 8 hours/day)
    -working at 3:00am sometimes during deployment

Worked for Givex? Contribute to the Community!