Glacier Park Lodge

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.8

CEO

I had an incredible time working for GPI. The environment is spectacular both professionally and recreationally.

Former Employee - Assistant Front Desk Manager in East Glacier Park Village, MT
    Former Employee - Assistant Front Desk Manager in East Glacier Park Village, MT

I worked at Glacier Park Lodge as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The environment is great-- lots of hiking opportunities. In addition, the crowd of tourists is diverse which makes for an exciting workplace.

Cons

Working in a national park is dangerous. The emotional toll of employee and tourist deaths is something to consider when applying. I personally, was not prepared.

Glacier Park Inc,

I have been working at Glacier Park Lodge full-time

Pros

If you are young and unattached, into outdoor activities and either in school or still figuring life out, this a great company to work, you work for three months with very little accountabity

Cons

For full time year round staff, the requirement to move every six month can be burdensome. If you are in Finance you have no life, with the changes resulting from the recent restructuring by the parent company, you have no life, you work day is usually a 12 hour day during the week plus 1/2 day on Sat. you also are not allowed to take any vacation or personal time during the summer.

There is no work life balance. pay is horrible and no body is held accountable.

Sad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Glacier Park Village, MT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Glacier Park Village, MT

I worked at Glacier Park Lodge

Pros

To be near the park

Cons

Company is not putting much needed capital back into the business. Which means guests lose out and employees will feel the pain

Quit sucking up all the profits and invest in your properties!

Wonderful place to work!

Former Employee - HSKP in Montana, WI
    Former Employee - HSKP in Montana, WI

I worked at Glacier Park Lodge as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You can meet foreign part time workers there! And have the greatest hiking journey in GNP!

Cons

Far away from downtown.
    You can only get some daily stuffs from GNP shops.

A great summer experience

Current Employee - Retail Associate in East Glacier Park, MT
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in East Glacier Park, MT

I have been working at Glacier Park Lodge full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great experience in an absolutely beautiful park. Small recognition of good work with the opportunity for a small raise. Food and board comes out of pay. Make friends from all over the world.

Cons

College party atmosphere (could be good or bad). Company cuts cost as much as possible which means they are often understaffed.

One of the Worst employment Experiences of my Life!!

Former Employee - Tour Bus Driver in East Glacier Park, MT
    Former Employee - Tour Bus Driver in East Glacier Park, MT

I worked at Glacier Park Lodge as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The location is spectacular and the local people especially the fplks on the reservation are very kind and hospitable. When I was there for two weeks, spent alot of time in Browning and went to the recreation center and made alot of friends. If your looking to go to Montana stay in Great Falls and far awayfrom Glacier Park Lodge.

Cons

They entice people to go up there to work and than mistreat them financially and emotionally. When you get there you are essentially trapped and having a car is a must. The environment there is harsh and most American employees are not use to this. When I was there it rained most of the time.
    My supervisor on the bus detail was totally unqualified for the job as were most of the drivers they hired. He took a particular dislike to me the first day and kept writing me up until he pushed the management to terminate my employment. I had to leave the premise and they refused to pay me my balance of pay even though the law said I was entitled to it. I went into Great Falls and saw an attorney and filed a complaint with the Montana Human Righst Commission. I also reported them to the newspaper. We eventually made an out of court settlement for age discrimination and harashment however I can never get out of my mind the way I was treated and never again went to work in a settting far from my home.

Establish an employee ombudsman to mediate disputes and advise employees of their legal rights.

Wonderful Location/ Disappointing Management to Work for

Former Employee - Front Desk in East Glacier Park, MT
    Former Employee - Front Desk in East Glacier Park, MT

I worked at Glacier Park Lodge

Pros

-Housing is provided
    -Free tours in Glacier National Park

Cons

- Management does not value employees, one minute they can praise you and the next they can easily fire you.

Hire more qualified managers.