Glamour Shots

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
2.4

Jack E Counts Jr

Store level is great, upper management not so much

I worked at Glamour Shots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a very fun and creative environment to work. I adored my studio manager and my coworkers. You had the opportunity to earn commission though it was sometimes difficult to do. I learned a lot and enjoyed immensely.

Cons

The owner of our particular store (not the CEO) was a nut. He would often send abusive emails when we did exactly as he said and the outcome wasn't as expected. We were always screamed at, never praised. The base pay was low and was never raised so if there was slow period, you were making just above minimum wage if you couldn't earn your commission and your hours were drastically cut on top of it. This was compounded by the fact that GS decided to start shifting some of its stores to shopping centers instead of malls. By doing so we lost all of our foot traffic (which for are store was a significant portion of our bookings), but we were still [illogically] expected to make the exact same sales with the same business model. Though they did raise the base pay a bit to cover that, having to have our hours drastically cut negated it. They also put out way to many things that gave people free stuff be it coupons or groupons. This only compounded the pay problem because many of those people would *only* get free things. It's a poor business practice for a commission-based business. Can't say anything about Jack in particular because I never met him. While I loved working here, if you want to survive without government assistance this probably isn't the place to make your career if you're anything below studio manager.

Studio managers are great. Owners, please stop being jerks to your employees. Blaming them after you insist on the same business model that has been shown not to work is wrong. Take into account that you can't keep trying the same thing and expect it to work differently. Please stop offering so much free stuff. Your employees are suffering from poor pay and poor hours. This is a great job for younger people who are not expecting to stay employed there long (or get promoted to studio manager) but not for anyone that has a family to support when this is their primary income.

store environment is great! Owners and upper management are abusive.

Current Employee - Photographer/Booking
    Current Employee - Photographer/Booking

I have been working at Glamour Shots full-time (less than an year)

Pros

most store level employees (including management) are great and provide fun a faced paced atmosphere.

Cons

The pay is low for the amount of work that is expected. Upper management keeps staff at a minimum which doesn't allow for breaks, sick time or even having a second job. I have personally witnessed someone get fired when it was found out they had another job. Even during slow seasons they expect you to force someone in to spending $1000+ on a photo package just to keep the sales average up. Upper management is constantly sending abusive emails (for all of the company to see) when even a slight mistake is made.

When it comes to training, there is basically none upon being hired and yet any employee is expected to have everything figured out within the first week. There is always a looming fear that you can be fired for even the smallest mistake. It is made VERY apparent that the customer does not matter as long as GS gets their $$$. Employees are treated like garbage and some even threatened openly about losing their job for not "sounding pleasant enough" when answering the phone.

You are promised full time but the reality is, if there are no appointments, there are no hours to give. As stated before, the idea of a break, even during an 8+ hour shift is a big no no if any upper management is around. They are constantly changing prices, and practices which confuses the customer and makes them never want to return.

Better training, treat employees AND customers like human beings. Stop being so abusive to your employees.

Very unorganized and discriminating

Former Employee - Photographer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Glamour Shots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other photographers and some of the MUAs that i was working with were fantastic, so easy to get along with. It was a good way for connections and meeting new people.

Cons

While i was there, all that the management does is degrade you and tell you that you're never going to do any better than working only with them. For all the work that you do there the pay is not worth it. Management would just leave without telling you they were going to and situations would come up where someone wanted to speak to a manager and there is no way to get in contact with them. The studios are terrible, they don't have sufficient equipment. I'm sorry but one light per studio is not how its supposed to be, and then people get mad because the background isn't completely white or if you get the white background the client is over exposed and blown out.Management is unwilling to work with schedules, even when you tell them a month or two months before that you are going out of town or if you have college classes starting. If you come in without all of your hair and make up on point they just pick out all of your flaws. Also managers will call you 5 minutes before you're scheduled to come in and tell you not to, or when you get there they will tell you come either leave or come back in 30mins-2 hours. It's all a one way street, theres no equality at all in this establishment

If you want employees to work hard, give them a goal, tell them that if you do so much at the end of the month or year you will be getting this. Motivate your employees don't degrade and discriminate against them. When an employee tells you that they're going to be gone, don't tell them to tell you a week before that schedule, make note of it.

Show some appreciation

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Glamour Shots part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace work space. Flexible schedule and fun fun job

Cons

Pay was low and almost had to beg for raises. Long hours with no breaks. Owner will literally curse and flip out on anyone when he visits even if he doesn't know you.

Learn how to talk and keep your employees. What comes around goes back around

Great experience, good for learning the business

Former Employee - Photography in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Photography in Houston, TX

I worked at Glamour Shots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great way to develop your skills in sales and photography

Cons

long hours , low pay, erratic marketing, not much training

create a training program, have uniform performance reviews,better pay,offer benefits to top performers, open channels of communication with all employees to corporate, it is sad that so much talent has left the company to become roving "glamour gypsies" as know in the culture. A employee retention and recognition program is sorely needed. It is a saying in the culture that there is no money in this company only the glamour.

Fantastic

Current Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate

I have been working at Glamour Shots part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

very hands on training, allows inexperienced employees to learn a field that interests them as a career. Very creative environment with room for growth and expansion into other fields within the studio.

Cons

Management, low wages, no room for advancement

Know the business, know how to motivate and fully train staff. give incentives, acknowledge good associates AND PROMOTE

fun, but not working for the pay

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Glamour Shots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

this is a fun company, there is definitely downtime as a makeup artist, once the area, store, and your brushes are clean and you have everything ready for your next client, you wind up just relaxing. The company provides training with fellow makeup artists and stylists as long as you know the basics. they provide basic materials for the makeover, but you will want to supplement. clean space, friendly environment, management finds ways to keep it busy.

Cons

the store is not marketed as well as it should be, the product quality of the makeup and brushes provided is poor. EXPECT to buy your own brushes to supplement and to buy some of your own lip colors at the very least, but more if you are picky. the management may or may not be cosmetically trained in not just look, but practices. that usually wouldn't be a huge problem, but my manager didn't realize one of the girls was not keeping her brushes clean. gross, right? thank goodness that girl was "no longer with the company" not long after i started.

I actually really liked the management, but think that corporate ties their hands on some things.

Could have been worse

Former Employee - Photographer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Photographer in Austin, TX

I worked at Glamour Shots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of hands on shooting experience if you have never worked as a photographer before. You will learn how to shoot really really fast, as you only have about 30 minutes studio time with each client.

Cons

Company does not care about good quality pictures, just how fast you shoot and how much money the client spends

A company that does not care about their employees

I worked at Glamour Shots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I learned a lot about photography and how to run a business while working here.. more so what NOT to do.

Cons

Too many to write down.

It was a really fun job

Current Employee - Image Consultant in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Image Consultant in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Glamour Shots part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere and good training,.

Cons

Disorganized, low commision and i did not approve of owners behavior at times

hire people for experience and work ethic, not looks.