Glamour Shots Reviews

2.4
Jack E Counts Jr

1. It has its pros and cons

I have been working at Glamour Shots

Pros

I love what I do. It makes me happy to see how much people love their pictures. I also adore the people I work with. Couldn't ask for a better work enviroment!

Cons

Lousy pay and varying hours.

2. Fun and easy, good practice

Current Employee - Makeup Artist
    Current Employee - Makeup Artist

I have been working at Glamour Shots full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Active clientele, good practice, day goes by fast, get out early

Cons

Low pay, not many tips

Advice to Management

Raise the pay!!!! We are artists, the clients would be nothing without us!!!

3. Makeup Artist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Glamour Shots full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commission can be good if you are getting a lot of appointments

Cons

If you arent getting a lot of appointments the pay is usually much lower than you would like it to be.

5. "Part Time" Position Became My Life

Former Employee - Photographer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Photographer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Glamour Shots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun job, good experience if you are a photographer or make up artist.

Cons

I was hired in early September as a photographer. I was in school, so my manager let me make my own schedules to work around my schoolwork and busy schedule. After about a month, I showed up to work and the place was completely cleared out and I had not been notified at all. I called my boss who was frantic because she was pregnant and due in a month and left completely without a job. The owner had come in and closed it down with no warning. Fast forward a month and the area manager emailed me asking if I would be willing to work at a new location opening in a week, I said yes. Weeks went by and the place was still not open. Finally, we opened and they hadn't hired ANY other photographers so I was left working 12 hour days (in heels, no less, because that's the dress code) with no break and no lunch and not allowed to sit at all. I was promised numerous raises and bonuses and never received any. I had told the manager that in January, I would be starting school and could only work Fridays and Saturdays but when the time came I was threatened to be fired if I didn't work every day that I could. I was asked to skip school for work numerous times and even asked to drop out. I was constantly berated by area managers and managers in the stores about my photography skills but offered no suggestions or training. When I initially tried to quit, the area manager tried to strongarm me into staying by promising me yet another raise that never came to fruition. I finally quit and am much happier in another photo studio.

Advice to Management

If you want people to spend more than $20, don't offer them a $20 groupon that pays for everything! It's not our fault people think a $20 photo session sounds fun and don't want to spend extra money.

No. Just no.

I worked at Glamour Shots full-time

Pros

I really can't think of any. I mean if you like to be barked at for not squeezing every last penny out of someone who already told you their budget...thus making then feel like dirt...then this is the job for you.

Cons

I'd say broken equipment, unreasonable expectations, managers give you attitude for everything, not enough employees...

Tedious. Emphasis on quantity. No room to be as creative as you wanted to be

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer

I worked at Glamour Shots part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

throw-away job; easy job; no need to put it on your resume. Work less hours with better sales = better commissions

Cons

undereducated clientele with unreasonable expectations.

Advice to Management

We're employees, not numbers

8. Ehh

I worked at Glamour Shots

Pros

Office acts like a family so its pretty nice.

Cons

but unfortunately there is barely any pay raise, they pay their photographers and make up artist 9 per hour when they are the reason for the pictures

Advice to Management

consider your employees more instead of replaceable meat

Unethical company, very abusive.

Current Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate

I have been working at Glamour Shots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As someone else pointed out, store level employees are great to work with and easy to get along. Good place to gain experienced, as you get some liberty with how creative you can get and you can experiment with lighting and practice with a wide array of clients.

Cons

Management in the store is unprofessional. In the time i've been working for this company i've seen some managers who are just downright unethical and racist. Upper management is no better, the owner verbally abuses you, takes pictures of staff to send around all the other stores to humiliate you. They are very unethical, after they degrade and verbally abuse you they will demand that you work very hard for the very little they pay.

No lunch breaks, so you may pull a 9+hr shift standing without a lunch. You get used to it, but do you really want to?

There's a work schedule, you'd know when to come in but you'll never know when you're off because you're done until the last client is done (at least at the stores that i worked at) and even then, you'll be asked to do other miscellaneous things that management is in charge of but was too lazy to do it.

Advice to Management

- $5-10 bonus for every one thousand dollar sale is not a very good incentive nor is 30-40 bucks for whoever makes 5-6k on a weekend, lol

- Store location DOES matter and not all clients have the same high paying salary that you may think they have

- Owner visiting stores and threatening people's jobs is also not a good incentive. What's the point of this??

- Be more grateful and pay fair wages

store environment is great! Owners and upper management are abusive.

Current Employee - Photographer/Booking
    Current Employee - Photographer/Booking

I have been working at Glamour Shots full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

most store level employees (including management) are great and provide fun a faced paced atmosphere.

Cons

The pay is low for the amount of work that is expected. Upper management keeps staff at a minimum which doesn't allow for breaks, sick time or even having a second job. I have personally witnessed someone get fired when it was found out they had another job. Even during slow seasons they expect you to force someone in to spending $1000+ on a photo package just to keep the sales average up. Upper management is constantly sending abusive emails (for all of the company to see) when even a slight mistake is made.

When it comes to training, there is basically none upon being hired and yet any employee is expected to have everything figured out within the first week. There is always a looming fear that you can be fired for even the smallest mistake. It is made VERY apparent that the customer does not matter as long as GS gets their $$$. Employees are treated like garbage and some even threatened openly about losing their job for not "sounding pleasant enough" when answering the phone.

You are promised full time but the reality is, if there are no appointments, there are no hours to give. As stated before, the idea of a break, even during an 8+ hour shift is a big no no if any upper management is around. They are constantly changing prices, and practices which confuses the customer and makes them never want to return.

Advice to Management

Better training, treat employees AND customers like human beings. Stop being so abusive to your employees.

11. Very unorganized and discriminating

Former Employee - Photographer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Photographer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Glamour Shots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The other photographers and some of the MUAs that i was working with were fantastic, so easy to get along with. It was a good way for connections and meeting new people.

Cons

While i was there, all that the management does is degrade you and tell you that you're never going to do any better than working only with them. For all the work that you do there the pay is not worth it. Management would just leave without telling you they were going to and situations would come up where someone wanted to speak to a manager and there is no way to get in contact with them. The studios are terrible, they don't have sufficient equipment. I'm sorry but one light per studio is not how its supposed to be, and then people get mad because the background isn't completely white or if you get the white background the client is over exposed and blown out.Management is unwilling to work with schedules, even when you tell them a month or two months before that you are going out of town or if you have college classes starting. If you come in without all of your hair and make up on point they just pick out all of your flaws. Also managers will call you 5 minutes before you're scheduled to come in and tell you not to, or when you get there they will tell you come either leave or come back in 30mins-2 hours. It's all a one way street, theres no equality at all in this establishment

Advice to Management

If you want employees to work hard, give them a goal, tell them that if you do so much at the end of the month or year you will be getting this. Motivate your employees don't degrade and discriminate against them. When an employee tells you that they're going to be gone, don't tell them to tell you a week before that schedule, make note of it.

RSS Feed </> Embed