Glamour Shots

Updated July 6, 2014
Updated July 6, 2014

2.7

Jack E Counts Jr

Store level is great, upper management not so much

Pros

It is a very fun and creative environment to work. I adored my studio manager and my coworkers. You had the opportunity to earn commission though it was sometimes difficult to do. I learned a lot and enjoyed immensely.

Cons

The owner of our particular store (not the CEO) was a nut. He would often send abusive emails when we did exactly as he said and the outcome wasn't as expected. We were always screamed at, never praised. The base pay was low and was never raised so if there was slow period, you were making just above minimum wage if you couldn't earn your commission and your hours were drastically cut on top of it. This was compounded by the fact that GS decided to start shifting some of its stores to shopping centers instead of malls. By doing so we lost all of our foot traffic (which for are store was a significant portion of our bookings), but we were still [illogically] expected to make the exact same sales with the same business model. Though they did raise the base pay a bit to cover that, having to have our hours drastically cut negated it. They also put out way to many things that gave people free stuff be it coupons or groupons. This only compounded the pay problem because many of those people would *only* get free things. It's a poor business practice for a commission-based business. Can't say anything about Jack in particular because I never met him. While I loved working here, if you want to survive without government assistance this probably isn't the place to make your career if you're anything below studio manager.

Studio managers are great. Owners, please stop being jerks to your employees. Blaming them after you insist on the same business model that has been shown not to work is wrong. Take into account that you can't keep trying the same thing and expect it to work differently. Please stop offering so much free stuff. Your employees are suffering from poor pay and poor hours. This is a great job for younger people who are not expecting to stay employed there long (or get promoted to studio manager) but not for anyone that has a family to support when this is their primary income.

Great experience, good for learning the business

Former Employee - Photography  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Photography in Houston, TX

Pros

great way to develop your skills in sales and photography

Cons

long hours , low pay, erratic marketing, not much training

create a training program, have uniform performance reviews,better pay,offer benefits to top performers, open channels of communication with all employees to corporate, it is sad that so much talent has left the company to become roving "glamour gypsies" as know in the culture. A employee retention and recognition program is sorely needed. It is a saying in the culture that there is no money in this company only the glamour.

Fantastic

Current Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate

Pros

very hands on training, allows inexperienced employees to learn a field that interests them as a career. Very creative environment with room for growth and expansion into other fields within the studio.

Cons

Management, low wages, no room for advancement

Know the business, know how to motivate and fully train staff. give incentives, acknowledge good associates AND PROMOTE

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

fun, but not working for the pay

Former Employee - Makeup Artist  in  Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Bloomington, MN

Pros

this is a fun company, there is definitely downtime as a makeup artist, once the area, store, and your brushes are clean and you have everything ready for your next client, you wind up just relaxing. The company provides training with fellow makeup artists and stylists as long as you know the basics. they provide basic materials for the makeover, but you will want to supplement. clean space, friendly environment, management finds ways to keep it busy.

Cons

the store is not marketed as well as it should be, the product quality of the makeup and brushes provided is poor. EXPECT to buy your own brushes to supplement and to buy some of your own lip colors at the very least, but more if you are picky. the management may or may not be cosmetically trained in not just look, but practices. that usually wouldn't be a huge problem, but my manager didn't realize one of the girls was not keeping her brushes clean. gross, right? thank goodness that girl was "no longer with the company" not long after i started.

I actually really liked the management, but think that corporate ties their hands on some things.

Could have been worse

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Photographer in Austin, TX

Pros

Lots of hands on shooting experience if you have never worked as a photographer before. You will learn how to shoot really really fast, as you only have about 30 minutes studio time with each client.

Cons

Company does not care about good quality pictures, just how fast you shoot and how much money the client spends

A company that does not care about their employees

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Photographer in Orlando, FL

Pros

I learned a lot about photography and how to run a business while working here.. more so what NOT to do.

Cons

Too many to write down.

It was a really fun job

Current Employee - Image Consultant  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Image Consultant in Memphis, TN

Pros

Fun atmosphere and good training,.

Cons

Disorganized, low commision and i did not approve of owners behavior at times

hire people for experience and work ethic, not looks.

Loved my job hated the company

Former Employee - Makeup Artist  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Orlando, FL

Pros

I was a makeup artist at Glamour Shots and I loved to make my clients look and feel like celebrities!

Cons

There are no health benefits, management does not care for their staff's well being at all! My manager would constantly put me and others down. There was a ton of turn over and no formal training whatsoever! They have no morals and sell overly priced packages!

Get an HR department pronto!

I was a good employee,My clients were real satified and bought pictures.

Former Employee - Makeup Artist  in  Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Pensacola, FL

Pros

The good reason,, just want to do something else as an cometologist,mainly for the experience,because I was interested in movie make up.

Cons

The managers were very unprofessional,

If you have a good employee,make them feel so.

Don't do it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Fairly flexible with the work schedule, usually fun co-workers, cool job description - makeup, photography, sales, hair design, usually in a mall so there is plenty of traffic

Cons

Corporate doesn't know what they are doing. They don't market well. They don't pay well. They are oblivious to the fact that anything good is ever done in the store.

Stop living in the past. This is not 1988. There should be new ways of marketing to a new generation.

Worked for Glamour Shots? Contribute to the Community!