Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman

Robert Hohman

Pros:
  • "Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to"
    in 13 reviews
  • "All roles are results driven and allow for a very flexible work/life balance"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's a fast-paced, evolving environment which might not be for everyone, but I love it"
    in 6 reviews
  • "There is also a lot of change, but from what I can see it is all for the better"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A mission that makes you want to win

Director of Product (Current Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

ProsThe work, people and management approach at Glassdoor are superb. Every day you have an opportunity to make an impact on how people find jobs and companies they love. Having found a job and company I love, I know the power in that. The team at Glassdoor is very strong and I really appreciate the management team's focus and overall approach to wrangling an ever growing business / team. Some of the things I often hear the management team mention: value to our users, creating a feedback rich environment, long-term sustainability of our business, the power of transparency, etc. They are intensely self aware and always question things so we can adapt and continue to thrive.

There are a number of perks working at Glassdoor:
    - Being in Sausalito, the weather is almost always quite a bit nicer than SF. I really enjoy making use of the balconies at lunch time.
    - There are pretty frequent Hackathons that produce new ideas that end up becoming real features for Glassdoor. It's exciting to see new ideas form and actually ship.
    - There is a strong belief in rewarding performance through a mix of equity and bonuses.
    - We have a lot of free snacks and drinks.
    - Did I mention the kegerator? Yup. There is such a thing as free beer.

ConsThere aren't a whole lot of cons to working at Glassdoor. Many of the things that one might mention relate to growing quickly. As someone who has seen fast growth done well and really not well at other companies, I think any cons related to scaling are very minimal. That said, there are things that could be done better.

When it comes to benefits, I really appreciate that the company pays 100% of your health insurance premiums but I was fairly surprised to see that there is no 401k matching. I understand it to some extent but even at smaller start ups I've seen matching. That said, as mentioned above, there is a strong belief in making everyone an owner of the company through equity grants, so that offsets the 401k matching for me, i.e. it creates a long-term financial growth opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would keep doing what you are doing. Since I've been here I've seen a lot of changes in the way that things are structured/run but those were not empty changes. Each time you made it really clear why things were changing and how it helps us grow and achieve our goals. Also, I really appreciate the honesty and frankness of the All Hands meetings. It makes a huge difference.

Flag Review
    Glassdoor CEO responded to this review Apr 1, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for the review and feedback! 401K matching is definitely something that we would like to offer at some point. As you probably know, the big benefit that we are beginning to offer this ... More

Flexible hours and great work life balance!

Lead Generation Associate (Current Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

ProsGlassdoor emphasis on employee satisfaction, so they are very flexible and understanding with schedule changes. You can make your own hours (depending on your projects and goals) and work from home as well. This company truly understands that employees have lives, and they can change your goals if you're going through a difficult time in your life, or give you more responsibilities if you ask for them. If you show them you're capable, a hard worker, and are invested/passionate about the company, they will have faith in your abilities. Glassdoor is a great company, and they've done an exceptional job with the people they hired and promoted.

Although top level executives tend to be running in and out of meetings all day, they really try and interact with everyone all the time. It's great to see a horizontal structure where if you want to talk to a VP, Exec, C-Level, etc, employee, they are all willing, but most importantly WANTING to hear you out.

ConsAlthough everyone is very open and nice, it's hard to form some connections with people due to the separation of locations. I'm sure once we move into our new building, it will foster a more open atmosphere where people will engage more.

Motivated, professional people all working together to help people everywhere find the jobs and companies they love!

ProsI love my job. It's such a pleasure coming to work for a company that actually acknowledges and rewards your strengths and encourages you to grow. Every single day I'm learning something new. There's a real spirit of mentorship and teamwork that comes naturally when everyone in the room is after the same overall goal. There's great collaboration between departments, with each department bringing their perspective to the table (and each department is acknowledged for their contributions). My boss, in particular, is the BEST boss I've ever had-- she is friendly, thoroughly knowledgeable, straight-forward, positive, and she goes to bat for me and other members of her team on a regular basis.

ConsGrowing pains... we are running out of space, but this is only a minor con since we have a new building being prepped right now. Once we complete the move, we'll have plenty of space and great new digs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! I love my colleagues (they are so smart and overall good-natured people), I love the perks, I love the culture, and I love the fact that all managers (including C-Suite) are accessible and open to feedback-- and are willing to make real change happen as quickly as possible when it's warranted, especially for the benefit of our employees, our company, our users, and our clients. Please keep these things in place, and we'll never go wrong.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company full of dedicated employees

Content Management Associate (Current Employee)
    North Canton, OH

ProsGreat company being led by an extremely talented Executive team. You immediately feel you are part of the Glassdoor family. You work hard because you feel connected to its success and believe in the service it provides. Employees work many hours, not because it is expected, but because you feel you are the reason why it has experienced the amazing success it has. The CEO makes it very clear that Glassdoor is OUR company and and we are an integral part of its success going forward. The benefits are fantastic. PTO adds up to more than 3 weeks per year including holidays. Health, vision,and dental insurance are of no cost to you and my spouse is only an additional $50 per month. There are many fun team building events and you are given one paid day each quarter for community service.

ConsWe are growing and with growth there are growing pains. Content exploded in the past few months and it took longer than it should have to get the help we needed to get it under control. People were given new important tasks to complete during this growth period while the vein of our existence, content, seemed to be drowning. The good news is it was addressed and we are back swimming strongly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget to step back, take a deep breath and make sure our fast, strong growth is not weakening our already established services to our users. You are truly a dream company to be a part of and I am so grateful and honored to be a member of the Glassdoor family.

Heaven on Earth!

IT Support (Current Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

ProsLove my team and job. Entire staff is extremely friendly and welcoming. Company activities abound and Office location is just plain beautiful!

There's lots to do and the learning curve is high, but great people and environment makes it "fun!"

One of the few companies that value their IT Department and Support Staff.

ConsI don't see anything wrong with compensation package and Unlimited PTO may not be all it's cracked up to be; however, this is the first Tech Company that I have been to that's offering it. Heck, why do I need so much vacation when my job is worth going to everyday?

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst place I ever worked where Management cares to make it great.

Great career move

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

ProsThe sales culture here is fantastic. Everyone is so supportive of our common goals. With a relatively newer company, the team is well invested in the future. We all care about the guy/girl next to us succeeding and it shows. The compensation is better than what I've received in the past and puts me on track to make great money. Everyone has fun working here from sales to legal to accounting to engineering. I felt very welcomed from day one and the on-boarding process is great for anyone looking to join Glassdoor.

ConsA lot of things are still in process or in development. This goes with the territory in any company like this. The sales transition was messy in some cases. Not everyone got a good deal and some did genuinely get the short end of the stick. It was a very necessary change and some reps probably made way more money than they should have last year. This next year will really allow the cream to rise to the top per-se.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst and foremost, fix the particular employee count issue everyone knows about ASAP. There's a lot of fixing to be done, but this should be high on the list. Second, let's tighten up our leadership and get this show on the road. Things haven't felt the same since transitioning everyone's roles.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

exciting growth with intelligent, engaged, dedicated people

Technical Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

Prosgreat teamwork. the real, visible prospects of growth mean that we (i) are (am) motivated to give it my all at glassdoor. i am inspired to perform well, feel that my efforts are respected, appreciated, and noticed, and i would like to spend a significant chunk of my career here.

(or at least the next few years!)

the growth opportunities also means that the types of politics that are present in any work / office environment are not present here. what i mean is, sometimes in a place where morale is low, or opportunities are limited, you can see people turn on one another to get ahead, or simply to survive.

at glassdoor, that is not an issue, and so we can turn our efforts towards helping one another, growing together, and excelling together.

Constight space as we wait for our new building to be completed. building permitting issues are slowing us down, and it makes for a little bit of stress.

also, this selling point for new hires is a bit farther away than it should be... i hear this should have happened in december 2013 of january 2014. its now mid march 2014, and i think we are looking at early summer?

not the fault of glassdoor management, perhaps, but once we do relocate (a few miles north), i see the morale (already high) jumping to all new levels of high.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep sight of the amazing people who brought you this far, and continue to listen to them. keep us involved, keep us engaged, and we will reward you with our loyalty, dedication, and talents.

Best job ever

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

ProsI feel like I learn something new every day and am constantly improving. The senior management is very accessible and open to feedback. Our solutions provide great results for the companies that we work with - so you can take a lot of pride in what you are doing and build really awesome relationships with your clients. It's a very collaborative environment where people drop what they're doing to help you and make sure you have all the tools you need to be successful.

I think we do a really great job practicing what we preach and being transparent within our own organization. Every employee at Glassdoor is instrumental to the success of the company and management does a great job to show people that they are appreciated. I really love this company.

ConsBecause of the rapid growth within the sales team, there have been a lot of territory changes recently. It can definitely be frustrating when you have to let go of an opportunity. But that does go both ways, so for every deal you have to give up.....you typically get one back.

The move to our new building has been delayed a few times and we are getting pretty packed within our current space. It's a start up and sometimes you have to be scrappy, but it's hard to find a quiet place to place to think.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Inspiring to be part of a company that all job seekers love

Enterprise Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

ProsThe #1 reason glassdoor is so great is because our mission is helping people everyone find the job they love. This is a big goal and will take many years to clearly become the best recruitment company in the world - so it's fun to have this exciting work ahead of us for years to come. In the short term - the pay is great & the culture is really fun - a strong IPO looks very probably given the history of our leadership and success of companies like TripAdvisor.

ConsTypical startup issues - a lot of change but our senior leadership is good to guide us thru it all. Robert & Roop are amazing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm in sales - new products please :)

Convenient and flexible work

Data Associate (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGlassdoor treats its employees well in terms of benefits and schedule flexibility. Getting full insurance and paid days off for part time is pretty nice! I can adjust my schedule easily to fit with the rest of my life. I work from home and that has its positive and negative aspects, as any work-from-home job would. This is a company that's growing rapidly and the culture is very young and energized. My co-workers and managers are great

ConsThe data work gets very repetitive and sometimes it feels like I'm lost in a world of spreadsheets and internet data. It often comes down to speed and accuracy of processing, and it's hard to stay passionate about that. Working remotely makes it hard to feel very connected to the company. There's been a lot of reorganization and I've had several managers in the course of a couple years.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company continues to grow, don't lose track of the employees who have helped that growth happen. Keep the employee focus and keep it fun.

Worked for Glassdoor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor Videos

Glassdoor – Why Work for Us?

Do you believe that work matters? We do. In fact, we obsess over helping people find jobs that are the right fit for them. BECAUSE WHERE YOU WORK MATTERS! Our mission is to become the world’s largest and most trusted… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Glassdoor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman. All 121 reviews posted anonymously by Glassdoor employees.