Glassdoor Reviews

Reset
4.7
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to (in 17 reviews)

• Work/life balance is really good (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The office is a little crowded as the company is growing & the sales floor can get a little noisy (in 5 reviews)

• When you are working from home, communication can sometimes be difficult (in 4 reviews)

Love coming to work everyday!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, culture, benefits, training, and leadership. I've worked for many companies where I've hated going to work everyday, Glassdoor is not one of those companies. I wake up and am thrilled to go to work with such amazing people everyday! I don't ever want to leave!

Cons

The food can be similar daily (we get lunch everyday).

Advice to Management

We love our leadership and can't thank you enough for hearing us! Whenever there is an issue they listen, analyze the issue, devise a plan, and implement.

2. Amazing Leader, People, & Product

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We have one of the most beloved leaders in the Bay Area, and his willingness to jump into the nitty-gritty of our day-to-day operations is inspiring. The people here are second-to-none; not only do we enjoy each other's company inside the office, but not a weekend goes by where I am not with them outside of the office. We are definitely more friends than co-workers, which adds to the fun of coming into work each day! Catered lunches & Bagel Wednesdays are great, unlimited (although sometimes sparse) snacks & beverages, but we have kegs when needed! On the sales team, we do a (now) monthly recognition happy hour where each person anonymously votes for someone who has made an impact on them (a sale, a personal achievement, a mentor), so we are constantly recognizing people for their contributions to Glassdoor outside of a dollar sign.

Cons

There are not nearly enough female managers, especially on the sales team. Not one new sales manager has been hired from the outside in over 2 years which is a little discouraging (but the female promotions within are awesome). Because we are growing at such a high-speed pace, there is constant change--it's exciting but can be overwhelming for some. You need to be able to adapt, communicate, and lead if you want to be successful here. Comp plans are always changing and hard to digest, but our Sales Ops team works their tush off to make them as approachable as possible. Base salaries are not anything to write home about, but if you hit your numbers, OTE is incredible.

Advice to Management

Keep thinking like a start-up by continuing the communication! Robert, we love that you are so involved with everything and that you make incredibly smart decisions for the good of the company, not for the sake to throw away $$ at meaningless perks!

3. Great Company

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Love the work and the atmosphere here. There is a wonderful sense of community that I felt from day one and the mission is clear. Open communication is encouraged and valued. Fitness classes, free lunch/snacks/drinks, location is great.

Cons

The only con I'm aware of so far is that the parking lot gets full.

Advice to Management

Hopefully as the company grows, it won't lose sight of its values or purpose. Keep communication lines open!

5. Best work life balance and opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Associate Client Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Client Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits including fully covered medical, dental, vision insurance, free catered lunches daily, great training programs, fantastic team atmosphere, and unlimited PTO! I couldn't have made a better choice and am very grateful for this opportunity. I have a very diverse background and add a lot to the team. I feel my work is appreciated and acknowledged by upper management. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement and career development. I highly recommend working for this AMAZING COMPANY!

Cons

Transportation from SF is a little difficult and limited transportation benefits for my location. There is a lot of clingy people and it's a little like high school during lunch. Parking is getting limited with new hires. Training is also crammed in some days and slower others, this can be overwhelming at times. A larger gym will be more appealing, it's hard for more than 10 people at a time to work out in the small room, but again this is just feedback and I'm grateful to work for this awesome company!

Advice to Management

Continue to be engaged with all levels of your team, it's grate to get feedback and compliments. Upper management is great wit communication and there is a grate recognition program for all tiers. I love being able to have a normal conversation with my director, manager, HR, and even our CEO! Keep up the great work :)!

This Company is AMAZING!!!

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA

Pros

Glassdoor practices what they preach. Super transparent and open about the things employees really care about. They welcome you in with open arms and make you feel like you are really apart of the company day 1. Trainers, managers, and veteran employees are always there to lend a helping hand.

Cons

There are no cons for Glassdoor

Aug 12, 2015 – Senior Manager, Sales Development

Thank you for review and for your excitement about Glassdoor and the SDR team. I'm glad that you feel supported by the org and by your peers. Our goal is to create a collaborative environment that ... More

grateful for this life changing opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Glassdoor has been the best career opportunity I've had hands down. I had really wanted to get in the door so I started lower level than I necessarily was seeking and I was able to progress really quickly with a lot of hard work & dedication. It is a wonderful place full of really, really smart people who I truly love to be around. If you are looking to take your career to the next level and want to & enjoy working for it, this is the place to do it. If you have good intentions, people recognize it. People are treated fairly & equally no matter what level they are. The world is your oyster here if you want to make an impact. And it will be fun while you do it. I am so grateful to have had this company come into my life!

Cons

Growing fast, hard to know everyone now. Just some advice: if you don't get personal satisfaction out of working hard, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture going; more EQ training!! It is awesome. Thank you for investing in us in that way. It's been invaluable to me both professionally & personally.

Great Company if you work hard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Zumba and yoga at the office, pet-friendly, 16 weeks maternity leave, nerf wars, friendly coworkers, management that is caring, good benefits, free snacks and drinks. It really is a great place to go and everyone who works there is committed to making our site great. Fun events for the family.

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult if you are full time. You have to be really good at managing your time. The time-tracking software used in the Ohio office is not great, and you are strongly encouraged to be always working on moderation or a given task. Don't expect to coast. Currently 10 minutes of paid breaks per 4 hours worked.

Advice to Management

Everyone is working really hard. It would be nice to have a bit more in the area of paid breaks, or if time doing things like checking email could be included on our timesheet. Everything else is excellent! I think our future is bright and feel blessed to be at this company.

Aug 3, 2015 – Sr. Director, Content & Community

Thank you for writing a thoughtful and balanced review. Our Ohio office, like our other sites, is great because of the amazing team members we have there. Even as we grow, we still want to maintain ... More

Great place to work

Current Employee - Content and Community Associate in Green, OH
    Current Employee - Content and Community Associate in Green, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dog-friendly office, relaxed dress code, paid benefits, company events, and fantastic training. It really is a fantastic environment here, we work really hard but we also have a lot of fun here. Managers are open to feedback and willing to answer any questions or concerns you have.

Cons

The only real con I can think of is the way we track our time, it's frustrating!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep being transparent and open and making this a great place to work.

Aug 3, 2015 – Sr. Director, Content & Community

Thank you very much for your feedback. We have such a great team of folks in our Ohio Office and I'm glad you are enjoying your time at Glassdoor. Thank you for your hard work and dedication ... More

Great culture and people but need to address scaling issues

Former Employee - Director of Product in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Product in Mill Valley, CA

Pros

People are fun, smart and motivated. They genuinely like being there. The CEO is very open and transparent about pretty much everything. A lot of information is shared in weekly all hands meetings, and employees do have a good idea of where the company is heading, the challenges ahead, why they make certain decisions (like funding rounds), etc. It is definitely a high-potential company. Glassdoor is not going away and an IPO is inevitable. So probably a decent upside for those who stick around. And of course the perks are fantastic. Catered and healthy food, free well-equipped gym with free crossfit/bootcamp/yoga classes, snacks, kayaks to take out into the bay, etc. Location is beautiful, right by the bay with views of water and hills, and running trails all around. From a product mgmt perspective, the engineers are high quality and take a lot of ownership. Things move pretty fast from ideation to execution.

Cons

While I believe that everyone in the executive leadership team is well-intentioned and want Glassdoor to succeed while creating a great culture, I think more needs to be done in order to scale. This is especially true in the product and marketing organizations. It is always hard for founders or early employees to make room as the company grows and to cede control. The shift from being a scrappy startup to a well-oiled growth engine with good processes/practices is not an easy one, but the change needs to be made. For this to happen, senior leaders need to move away from being very hands-on and driving every decision top-down to empowering their employees, trusting them to do the right things and encouraging constructive discussions/arguments. As a product leader especially, you cannot keep throwing terms like "let's be scrappy" when you should be driving sound practices through the product org that encourages good long-term planning, roadmapping process, socializing with stake holders, running experiments, etc. And when product managers feel like they do not have clear ownership and are mere foot soldiers when decisions are top down, then they will struggle to excel at their jobs. They will be left to defend ideas with various stake holders that are not their own and that they don't necessarily even believe in.

Advice to Management

Keep up your investment in creating a great culture and being transparent. However, help your senior leaders make the transition from 'scrappy' startup to a mature product org. They should focus on building out good practices/processes, empowering people and creating an atmosphere that encourages constructive arguments. True ownership (and not the illusion of it) is what retains good product people and helps build a great product org.

Aug 10, 2015

Thanks for the feedback. It’s really helpful to read what works and where we can improve. We’re definitely a fast growing company and with that comes a lot of change, and we're doing our best to stay ... More

11. Enjoy the Ride

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

All the hype that is boasted about the perks are true. Amazing company events in particular. Full sponsorship of benefits. Culture is as awesome as you would suspect from the firm who made employer branding a wide spread initiative for HR departments. The firm is also doing incredibly well and the trends are favorable for that to keep up. The resources to help you succeed are in place as well and the org invests heavily in them. The upper management as well as direct management is widely accepted by the employees and you rarely hear of issues. Good changes have been made to promote individuals from within as well. The onsite wellness classes, as well as the cross fit gym is excellent. You'll see a very dedicated hard working support staff who constantly delivers on the drinks, snacks, and catering we enjoy every day. The CEO Robert is a very smart, charismatic person. No one believes for a second we're not in good hands and he is very accessible to employees. There is always relevant exciting information that is announced usually monthly that always keeps this place exciting.

Cons

You will sell to a lot of folks who won't understand the product, and if they think they do they are likely wrong. Challenging numbers that aren't just quota are demanded (things like meeting counts are closely scrutinized). This sometimes leads to a lot of long hours and stress for any individual who is success oriented, which is most of the sales org. Being in the explosive growth phase as well, changes are constant and not all will benefit you. The org has however shown the ability to pivot and right the ship. Compensation is a big issue for those now as Glassdoor, although in Marin, is really a San Francisco company and the levels in base pay as well as opp to earn, are on the low side of the industry average. There's obviously no denying this, since our site itself has salary data for the industry. The methodology being used also is not widely accepted especially by senior members of the sales team. This can make talk tracks inconsistent across the broad when speaking to clients. This is a firm where you are always on, so if that is not your type of place, then it's best to not apply. Glassdoor is for sure not a sales job, where you'll walk into many sales, everything here is earned, but wins are celebrated to make it worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees since that's what we stand for. Keep being willing to pivot as we continue the explosive growth, we know we will try things, and fail, just be ready to admit the mistakes and move on.

RSS Feed </> Embed