Glassdoor Reviews

Reset
4.7
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to (in 17 reviews)

• Work/life balance is really good (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The office is a little crowded as the company is growing & the sales floor can get a little noisy (in 5 reviews)

• When you are working from home, communication can sometimes be difficult (in 4 reviews)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Content and Community Associate in Green, OH
    Current Employee - Content and Community Associate in Green, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dog-friendly office, relaxed dress code, paid benefits, company events, and fantastic training. It really is a fantastic environment here, we work really hard but we also have a lot of fun here. Managers are open to feedback and willing to answer any questions or concerns you have.

Cons

The only real con I can think of is the way we track our time, it's frustrating!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep being transparent and open and making this a great place to work.

Glassdoor Response

Aug 3, 2015 – Sr. Director, Content & Community

Thank you very much for your feedback. We have such a great team of folks in our Ohio Office and I'm glad you are enjoying your time at Glassdoor. Thank you for your hard work and dedication ... More

Great Company if you work hard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Zumba and yoga at the office, pet-friendly, 16 weeks maternity leave, nerf wars, friendly coworkers, management that is caring, good benefits, free snacks and drinks. It really is a great place to go and everyone who works there is committed to making our site great. Fun events for the family.

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult if you are full time. You have to be really good at managing your time. The time-tracking software used in the Ohio office is not great, and you are strongly encouraged to be always working on moderation or a given task. Don't expect to coast. Currently 10 minutes of paid breaks per 4 hours worked.

Advice to Management

Everyone is working really hard. It would be nice to have a bit more in the area of paid breaks, or if time doing things like checking email could be included on our timesheet. Everything else is excellent! I think our future is bright and feel blessed to be at this company.

Glassdoor Response

Aug 3, 2015 – Sr. Director, Content & Community

Thank you for writing a thoughtful and balanced review. Our Ohio office, like our other sites, is great because of the amazing team members we have there. Even as we grow, we still want to maintain ... More

3. Perfect place tot work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

People are nice. Nice location. Great mission.

Cons

Not for now, maybe later

Advice to Management

Keep moving

Great company!

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

The commute from San Francisco is reverse to and from Sausalito. Glassdoor offers great benefits including: catered lunches, unlimited PTO, a work laptop (your choice), and many volunteer opportunity benefits.

Cons

The base salary is a little lower than what I was expecting, but because it is a starting level position there is a lot of opportunity for growth, raises, etc.

Advice to Management

I enjoy working for such a fun and energetic team. An open line of communication is always a plus!

Great culture and people but need to address scaling issues

Former Employee - Director of Product in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Product in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor

Pros

People are fun, smart and motivated. They genuinely like being there. The CEO is very open and transparent about pretty much everything. A lot of information is shared in weekly all hands meetings, and employees do have a good idea of where the company is heading, the challenges ahead, why they make certain decisions (like funding rounds), etc. It is definitely a high-potential company. Glassdoor is not going away and an IPO is inevitable. So probably a decent upside for those who stick around. And of course the perks are fantastic. Catered and healthy food, free well-equipped gym with free crossfit/bootcamp/yoga classes, snacks, kayaks to take out into the bay, etc. Location is beautiful, right by the bay with views of water and hills, and running trails all around. From a product mgmt perspective, the engineers are high quality and take a lot of ownership. Things move pretty fast from ideation to execution.

Cons

While I believe that everyone in the executive leadership team is well-intentioned and want Glassdoor to succeed while creating a great culture, I think more needs to be done in order to scale. This is especially true in the product and marketing organizations. It is always hard for founders or early employees to make room as the company grows and to cede control. The shift from being a scrappy startup to a well-oiled growth engine with good processes/practices is not an easy one, but the change needs to be made. For this to happen, senior leaders need to move away from being very hands-on and driving every decision top-down to empowering their employees, trusting them to do the right things and encouraging constructive discussions/arguments. As a product leader especially, you cannot keep throwing terms like "let's be scrappy" when you should be driving sound practices through the product org that encourages good long-term planning, roadmapping process, socializing with stake holders, running experiments, etc. And when product managers feel like they do not have clear ownership and are mere foot soldiers when decisions are top down, then they will struggle to excel at their jobs. They will be left to defend ideas with various stake holders that are not their own and that they don't necessarily even believe in.

Advice to Management

Keep up your investment in creating a great culture and being transparent. However, help your senior leaders make the transition from 'scrappy' startup to a mature product org. They should focus on building out good practices/processes, empowering people and creating an atmosphere that encourages constructive arguments. True ownership (and not the illusion of it) is what retains good product people and helps build a great product org.

7. Good learning potential.

I worked at Glassdoor

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

No cons that stick out.

Of all the companies I've worked for Glassdoor is the best

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at Glassdoor because of the people, the pace and how much we are getting done. Never have I worked at a company with so many awesome people. Glassdoor invests in getting you to know your team and it's a huge benefit. I have the opportunity to solve interesting problems, hardly ever have a boring day and am always learning and being pushed. On the perks side we are well taken care of with catered lunches, a gym, gym classes, kegs, dry cleaning pick up, plenty of snacks and happy hours.

Cons

Growing pains feel are starting to show but I see a little bit of an effort to keep things moving smoothly. People wear a variety of hats and project owners seem to shuffle so it can be tough knowing who is responsible for driving the project. This definitely slows things down. There are lot of rotating/changing top priorities which come in a fast paced environment. Overall these cons are pretty expected in a startup.

Advice to Management

Keep on being transparent, it's something I really appreciate. Keep answering the tough questions being asked, sometimes the huddle questions seem combed through for the easy ones. This should be mainly organic but at times we could use a little push to have some events across departments. I know meeting people in different departments has improved my ability to get my job done more efficiently.

Great place to work, good people

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

-The people are great and a wonderful work environment/culture has been created as a result of that. Starting from the top, the values of most people in the company are aligned to do what's best for the company and to help each other grow. Most importantly, there's tons of opportunity, and it's mostly a merit based org, where the smartest and most useful ideas/people/initiatives win out. -Management/executives are awesome- really smart and great attitudes.

Cons

It's easy to get lost and ultimately you really have to go after what you want. It's a tough place to work for analysts, the function isn't built out, it's sprinkled throughout the org, which makes it easy to get stuck. As an individual, the more you know and build, the harder it is to expand your scope and function...bit of a catch 22 (often times the nature of a smaller company).

Advice to Management

-Keep doing what you're doing, sweet company. -Invest in analysis teams.

Great Company & Special Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

I'm proud to be a part of Glassdoor! Our mission of helping bring transparency and value to job seekers is very rewarding. Here are some other pros: - The people at Glassdoor are fantastic. Everyone works hard, and there seems to be a common level of mutual respect between all employees. It's evident we're all on the same team. - Senior Management is approachable and open to feedback. Important changes are generally explained in detail and accompanied with reasoning with the opportunity to ask questions. - They also provide Emotional Training, which helps you develop both professionally at work, but also with your personal relationships. - Great opportunities for career advancement and growth.

Cons

Pretty much the cons are byproducts of the massive growth of Glassdoor experienced over the last year. - The more people joining the company, the more challenging it becomes to encourage a fun and consistent culture, where people know and care about each other. - Many formal policies and procedures are currently being put in place or revamped. Embracing change is important, but the speed can feel overwhelming and somewhat disjointed at times.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! We're on the right path.

Most Rewarding Experience of My Career

Current Employee - Client Success Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Client Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Our employees are phenomenally smart and driven, yet humble and kind. Very few companies of our size can say the same. I love this about Glassdoor. There is a career path for those who want it. Glassdoor sets ambitious goals and then beats them. It’s amazing. All of our teams are endlessly driven, innovative and dedicated. We are helping people and changing the world.

Cons

Our basic product offerings are quite simple, while their packaging, pricing and value prop feels a bit over-complicated lately. Rollouts of new features, functions or internal processes can seem hasty. The resulting technical bugs, questions and confusion can be intense.

Advice to Management

You’re getting better at listening to feedback from your teams. Keep it up! These people are a treasure trove of information and ideas. Continue finding constructive and efficient ways to give a voice to those who have something helpful to contribute. (Example: maybe leverage Waggl in new ways?) With so many moving parts, many challenges are inevitable. And we welcome them. But some challenges can be avoided. Please push extra super hard to make our next moves explainable, functional and scalable for GD users, clients and fellow employees. Keep up the great work. You're helping make this company wonderful.

RSS Feed </> Embed