Glassdoor

Updated February 13, 2015
4.5

Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to (in 17 reviews)

• Unlimited PTO means that you can have a real work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The office is a little crowded as the company is growing & the sales floor can get a little noisy (in 5 reviews)

• Working from home can be challenging to balance time/distractions (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Special, special place...

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

I've worked here for some time now and I really appreciate all that Glassdoor has done for me. They have provided me with extensive training, were patient and fully supportive with my development, and have a genuine interest in my progression. The personal growth I've made in the past months is truly incredible and all the credit goes to the Management team at Glassdoor. They have given me skills to pay the bills!! And the culture.... BOMB.com

Cons

The job is very demanding with high expectations and big quota. Getting along with management is important because being a politician bodes well in the office. But realistically these are issues that you will find in any and every tech company. I hate to make Glassdoor sound perfect, but it truly is a great place to work and is a special thing to be apart of.

Who gets excited to come to work? ME!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

Glassdoor knows how to hire quality, hard-working, smart people. It is a strange feeling to get excited to come to work- something I have not experienced in the past. My teammates have become some very close friends- friends who challenge me every single day. I can't say enough about the environment and community that has been created at Glassdoor. It is a pretty amazing place to be and feel lucky every day.

Cons

As we grow rapidly, maintaining a company-wide culture is seemingly more and more difficult to maintain. Although each department has their own culture locked down, different departments rarely inter-mingle. I think it is important for Sales to interact with the Engineering for example, or for PR to interact with the CSM/TPM teams, etc- but this doesn't happen often.

Management is awesome and well respected at Glassdoor and they are cultivating some pretty amazing talent. Instead of hiring from outside, I strongly feel that management teams should be built from within- especially in Sales. It makes a HUGE difference when a manager knows the ropes, knows the products, and can truly train a team to do great things based on their personal experience.

Good and not-so-good place to work

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Glassdoor is an amazing company - the values they hold and the things they do for both businesses and individuals are really something incredible. You'll notice that people here truly believe in what we're working for and that makes for motivated, intelligent, and creative workers. You'll find that on every level - C-suite, manager, or anyone else - that everyone loves what we do. To find that passion is rare and something to truly hold onto.

And of course with every tech company, we have amazing perks - catered lunch, snacks, work from home option, stock options, gym.

Cons

The biggest challenge here is middle management. I understand that at such rapid growth at a relatively young tech company, we're bound to promote within - but this can be a huge huge problem if such an individual is not qualified to do so. Because we're filled with such talented and smart people, we tend to be a pretty competitive arena. And while that's something that can be motivating for people, it can also cause middle management and new managers to always strive to compete with the people they're managing. This isn't right and doesn't foster an environment where individuals can grow - manager and those under.

We need a better promotion and HR review cycles/processes. There are a lot of new managers being promoted that really shouldn't be - just because they excel at their job doesn't mean they're entitled to be a manager. A good manager should be one that not only excels, but can connect, motivate, and encourage their team members - and do that wholeheartedly. Some departments - like mine - are seeing managers push down those who have ideas, want more, or just want to know what's going on within the team for reasons that seem like they want to keep their status known.

I love Glassdoor and what we stand for, but seeing my growth stunted by my own supervisor is making me question if we're losing sight of our culture. We pride ourselves in providing a safe environment for workers to have ideas, to be heard, and to learn - but if we allow individuals to become managers who DON'T truly uphold this value ... then we aren't practicing what we preach.

We need a more open and safe environment for individuals to review managers and we should re-look at the structuring of all teams. I know we are starting to put a manager review in place, but we should definitely improve our entire performance review cycle. We need to truly look at who we're putting in charge and make sure we're putting the right individual to not only help teams grow, but to retain talent.

Feb 21, 2015CEO & Founder

Thank you for taking the time to write this very thoughtful review. You are right, we do strongly prefer to promote from within. And you are also right that we've grown so quickly that we haven't ... More

SAE Hunters Beware! Sales Territories are horribly unbalanced

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Great company culture. There are a lot of really cool, smart people.
    - Lots of perks: catered lunch, plenty of unhealthy snacks, video games, ping pong, a fitness facility, dog friendly..
    - The company is doing very well and is growing like crazy.
    - The commute is only about 20 minutes from San Francisco and there is plenty of parking.
    - Lots of valuable sales training.
    - Beautiful location

Cons

The sales territories at the SAE level are horribly unbalanced. To put this into perspective, only two reps at the SAE tier hit their quota last year. TWO. Those two reps represented New York City and San Francisco. These are by far the best sales territories at Glassdoor, as they are not only densely populated areas, but there is a high level of competition for talent. There is also strong awareness of Glassdoor and Glassdoor employer solutions. While Glassdoor is rapidly growing, many employers, especially those in the middle of the country, have no idea who Glassdoor is, let alone how Glassdoor works with employers. Many employers simply know Glassdoor as, "that place where people can complain about our company". As a senior account executive representing these territories, that is a huge challenge. You are less of a senior account executive and more of a new market developer. Your meetings resemble more of a free webinar than a sales meeting. And when it comes time to make a proposal, good luck. Employers who just recently learned who you are and what you do are not likely to move-forward with a big dollar partnership. Most don't even have the budget for it. Get very used to hearing, "maybe next year".

Now, to be "fair and balanced" as we say, leadership has FINALLY acknowledged the fact there is unbalance with territories, and at the beginning of this year, they did make a few adjustments. For many reps however, this was too little, too late. We were held to the exact same standards as reps with NYC and San Francisco, and many reps lost their jobs as a result of not hitting their numbers. This is really unfortunate because there are a TON of good sales professionals at Glassdoor.

My advice: If you decide to accept a position as an "SAE Hunter", tell them that you want a fair and balanced territory - anything on the West Coast, or Northeast is good. Minnesota, Chicago, and Denver are also pretty good. If they try to give you exclusively accounts in the South or Mid-West, run far away. You will beat your head against the wall for as long as you can until they fire you for not hitting your numbers. I don't care how good of a sales rep you think you are, you will try hard and you will fail.

A few other things to note:

- The sales floor is incredibly loud and chaotic, especially with so many dogs in the office. Be prepared for this. Buy good headphone and use the conference rooms and phone booths. You don't want to jeopardize a good meeting because of this.

- Take your vitamins. The sales floor is like working at a hospital. Someone is always sick which means that everyone is always sick.

- The office is awesome, but it's super isolated. There isn't many places to get lunch or go to happy hour. Plus, running a quick errand is pretty much impossible.

- Make sure you go outside. Too many days I would come-in in the mornings, and not go outside until after it was dark. This is bad for your mental and physical health. Sausalito is a beautiful area, so be sure and take a walk with a co-worker so you can complain about your territory or sales manager :)

- Fix the territories! Duh. You're going to lose great sales people and get a bad reputation. Plus, no one will want to get promoted from AE.

- Be careful about politics. The majority of my sales team joined after I did, but they all received WAY better sales territories. Why? You tell me. Many reps had preexisting relationships with the sales manager. I am not saying that this is how territories are determined, but if it has something to do with it, than that is unacceptable and should be fixed immediately.

- Be careful when hiring sales managers. Many are phenomenal, while many are unqualified and have no clue to how encourage and motivate reps. I had a few really bad experiences that greatly damaged my confidence and made me question the integrity of that individual and the company. It's one thing to want to win, but belittling people and questioning their integrity and skill set is unacceptable. Fix this immediately.

- Less meetings! There are WAY to many pointless meetings. In order to meet the ridiculous expectations, there needs to be more time on the floor.

- Make sick people go home!

Feb 5, 2015VP of Sales

Thank you for providing a very thoughtful review. The ongoing feedback we receive on Glassdoor, in 1:1 meetings or elsewhere continues to help us refine our strategy. To your point on sales reps who ... More

Great Start!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This review is after my first month at GD.

- Great people
    - Smart coworkers
    - Great learning experience
    - I have got to do meaningful contribution in my first week itself.

Cons

- Commute is long. But its not so much of a problem for me.
    - Still need to improve some aspects of continuous integration and delivery. But the plans are in place.

Keep doing what you are doing. I believe in the mission for GD but I wish that our culture always remains the same

Honeymoon is definitely NOT over!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I come to work inspired every day by the people and the product. In addition, everyone is treated like an adult...get your work done, and no one cares if you've taken time to go to the gym or run some errands. It is incredibly exciting to be a part of a team that is helping to increase transparency in the employment world.

Cons

They really need to figure out a fair distribution of territories as it's clear that some people have a much better opportunity than others to succeed. They are working on this, and I'm hopeful that it will be more evenly distributed for everyone going forward.

Continue to do pulse checks on your team, continue to hire sales development reps (who are awesome) and continue to invest in getting the glassdoor name out there.

Great start for a sales career!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture, they genuinely care about the whole team and encourage collaboration. There was also a good amount of training right after being hired and then weekly as well.

Cons

The sales organization has grown quickly in 2014, however, they still have not adjusted for a distribution of accounts with appropriate quotas to represent the amount of opportunity in each area.

Align quotas to represent the amount of awareness and business in a particular region. Quotas in the
    Bay area are easier to achieve than in say.... Kansas. A round robin of accounts may alleviate this disadvantage to newer reps.

Great Company

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great lunch food, free snacks in the kitchen, good people.

Cons

HR. Anything that has to do HR/payroll makes me cringe. Very slow process and always unreachable.

Keep it up and give people more opportunities to grow.

Jan 7, 2015VP, People

Hi. I would really like to chat with you about your experience with HR/Payroll. I would like to know how we can improve to provide you with a better experience. The HR team is new and still ... More

Absolutely Amazing

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hands down the most fun place I have worked. The entire organization, from product, to engineering, sales, to C Suite are fantastic. It is exciting to be part of an organization where everyone truly believes in what we do.

Cons

Typical hyper growth startup challenges. Territories shifting, policies changing etc. However, these challenges, if you can call them that, are dwarfed by how great it is to work with such a wonderful group of people.

Keep up the transparency!

Best move I've ever made!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love being a part of an incredible community that helps individuals find jobs they love! It's a great feeling coming to work knowing you are making a difference in the world. I love the people here, I know I am working with the best in the industry. They are intelligent, supportive, and incredibly fun. We have an amazing culture and there is a huge opportunity for upward mobility. The product is awesome, it's constantly evolving to progress in a positive direction. The training program sets you up for success and our managers are dedicated to helping us improve our process and coach us in the right direction. Some of the perks include a gym on site, free snacks, lunches, and unlimited PTO! Glassdoor is a very special place, it's the best move I've ever made!

Cons

Sometimes the vegetarian lunches run out quickly.

Super excited to be a part of our organization, you're doing a great job! =)