Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman

Robert Hohman

Pros:
  • "You can make your own hours (depending on your projects and goals) and work from home as well"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Basically the company is growing like wild fire, which is"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "As a startup, it's the usual lot of work and project churn/shifting priorities"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Start up feel, you have a quota that doesn't stop growing"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A mission that makes you want to win

Director of Product (Current Employee)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

ProsThe work, people and management approach at Glassdoor are superb. Every day you have an opportunity to make an impact on how people find jobs and companies they love. Having found a job and company I love, I know the power in that. The team at Glassdoor is very strong and I really appreciate the management team's focus and overall approach to wrangling an ever growing business / team. Some of the things I often hear the management team mention: value to our users, creating a feedback rich environment, long-term sustainability of our business, the power of transparency, etc. They are intensely self aware and always question things so we can adapt and continue to thrive.

There are a number of perks working at Glassdoor:
- Being in Sausalito, the weather is almost always quite a bit nicer than SF. I really enjoy making use of the balconies at lunch time.
- There are pretty frequent Hackathons that produce new ideas that end up becoming real features for Glassdoor. It's exciting to see new ideas form and actually ship.
- There is a strong belief in rewarding performance through a mix of equity and bonuses.
- We have a lot of free snacks and drinks.
- Did I mention the kegerator? Yup. There is such a thing as free beer.

ConsThere aren't a whole lot of cons to working at Glassdoor. Many of the things that one might mention relate to growing quickly. As someone who has seen fast growth done well and really not well at other companies, I think any cons related to scaling are very minimal. That said, there are things that could be done better.

When it comes to benefits, I really appreciate that the company pays 100% of your health insurance premiums but I was fairly surprised to see that there is no 401k matching. I understand it to some extent but even at smaller start ups I've seen matching. That said, as mentioned above, there is a strong belief in making everyone an owner of the company through equity grants, so that offsets the 401k matching for me, i.e. it creates a long-term financial growth opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would keep doing what you are doing. Since I've been here I've seen a lot of changes in the way that things are structured/run but those were not empty changes. Each time you made it really clear why things were changing and how it helps us grow and achieve our goals. Also, I really appreciate the honesty and frankness of the All Hands meetings. It makes a huge difference.

Apr 1, 2014

Thank you for the review and feedback! 401K matching is definitely something that we would like to offer at some point. As you probably know, the big benefit that we are beginning to offer this ... More

They practice what they preach

Business Development/Marketing Intern (Current Employee)
Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor as an intern for less than a year

ProsI enjoy coming into work everyday because I get to work with passionate people at a company that is truly what it claims to be. The culture is collaborative, responsive, and inspiring.

ConsThe commute sucks, but it is worth it overall.

Advice to Senior ManagementA shuttle for employees would be great

Flexible hours and great work life balance!

Lead Generation Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

ProsGlassdoor emphasis on employee satisfaction, so they are very flexible and understanding with schedule changes. You can make your own hours (depending on your projects and goals) and work from home as well. This company truly understands that employees have lives, and they can change your goals if you're going through a difficult time in your life, or give you more responsibilities if you ask for them. If you show them you're capable, a hard worker, and are invested/passionate about the company, they will have faith in your abilities. Glassdoor is a great company, and they've done an exceptional job with the people they hired and promoted.

Although top level executives tend to be running in and out of meetings all day, they really try and interact with everyone all the time. It's great to see a horizontal structure where if you want to talk to a VP, Exec, C-Level, etc, employee, they are all willing, but most importantly WANTING to hear you out.

ConsAlthough everyone is very open and nice, it's hard to form some connections with people due to the separation of locations. I'm sure once we move into our new building, it will foster a more open atmosphere where people will engage more.

Motivated, professional people all working together to help people everywhere find the jobs and companies they love!

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

ProsI love my job. It's such a pleasure coming to work for a company that actually acknowledges and rewards your strengths and encourages you to grow. Every single day I'm learning something new. There's a real spirit of mentorship and teamwork that comes naturally when everyone in the room is after the same overall goal. There's great collaboration between departments, with each department bringing their perspective to the table (and each department is acknowledged for their contributions). My boss, in particular, is the BEST boss I've ever had-- she is friendly, thoroughly knowledgeable, straight-forward, positive, and she goes to bat for me and other members of her team on a regular basis.

ConsGrowing pains... we are running out of space, but this is only a minor con since we have a new building being prepped right now. Once we complete the move, we'll have plenty of space and great new digs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! I love my colleagues (they are so smart and overall good-natured people), I love the perks, I love the culture, and I love the fact that all managers (including C-Suite) are accessible and open to feedback-- and are willing to make real change happen as quickly as possible when it's warranted, especially for the benefit of our employees, our company, our users, and our clients. Please keep these things in place, and we'll never go wrong.

Inspiring to be part of a company that all job seekers love

Enterprise Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe #1 reason glassdoor is so great is because our mission is helping people everyone find the job they love. This is a big goal and will take many years to clearly become the best recruitment company in the world - so it's fun to have this exciting work ahead of us for years to come. In the short term - the pay is great & the culture is really fun - a strong IPO looks very probably given the history of our leadership and success of companies like TripAdvisor.

ConsTypical startup issues - a lot of change but our senior leadership is good to guide us thru it all. Robert & Roop are amazing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm in sales - new products please :)

Good changes are a-comin'!

Enterprise Sales Account Executive (Current Employee)
Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros$50M in growth for an international expansion - awesome
48% of people NOW use Glassdoor in their job searching process - awesome
Name recognition "Glassdoor" is skyrocketing - awesome
Basically the company is growing like wild fire, which is..... awesome.

In addition, if feels SUPER good to be part of a company who's products actually work! Honestly, I feel 100% confident in selling Glassdoor products, because they have helped every employer I know. And it's great to work for a company where I can come into the office everyday (or work from home), and know that I am helping people everywhere find the jobs and companies they love.

ConsWith great growth, comes some pretty big changes. There's been some good and bad changes to the comp structure of the sales team. Things are getting better, but change is of course not easy.

Communication is also getting much harder across the organization, I'm not always aware what the product teams are working on, or what is coming down the pipeline. Also, finding the right person to speak with about x,y, or z may be hard if you're just starting out here. But at least with Glassdoor we maintain a small org feel, so there are still weekly huddles, and I still feel like I can walk into the CEO's office, and talk to him about anything. That's great.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job across the board. Please continue to iron out the compensation plan for the sales team asap.

Thanks!

Apr 1, 2014

Thanks for the feedback and review. I'm glad to hear the the new comp plan and sales model is working for you. The past three months have definitely seen quite a few changes as we have transitioned ... More

Receptive Management and Supportive Team

Business Development/Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

ProsThere's quite a few- let's see:

- Expectations are made very clear and there's an ongoing discussion about progress towards goals with a focus on solutions rather than setbacks
- I've rarely encountered any negativity; people are incredibly upbeat and encouraging
- People here work together with a common purpose and are happy to reach out for help or with it- just don't be afraid to ask
- Great transparency about the direction of the company and where your specific team fits into the larger picture
- Even though we are rapidly growing, the people here are always friendly and it feels like a tight-knit community
- The company makes a point to listen to how people feel about the culture here and makes adjustments accordingly
- Hey benefits. . . love these (although some commuter benefits would be nice too)
- No lies about the flexible work schedule; as long as the goals are being met, they don't mind how you get there (no micromanagement shows that they trust their employees enough to treat them like adults)
- Dog friendly office! Snacks!

ConsNot quite as many here:
- Location is beautiful, but a bit of a trek from the city or the east bay
- Some positions seem to have more room for growth than others and it'd be nice to have more clarity on how to move around from within as well as learning opportunities for those of us interested in continuing in this industry

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Apr 1, 2014

Thanks for your feedback, and I'm glad to hear Glassdoor's culture is working for you! Career growth is very important to us, both because it's the only way to keep talented people, but also because ... More

Smart, easy going people all motivated and working toward the same goal.

Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe people are all smart and dedicated. Work / life balance is great. There is a good balance of working very hard but also having a life outside work.
The Sausalito location is amazing -- Just minutes over the Golden Gate Bridge it an easy commute from the city, East Bay and of course Marin.
Career opportunities are amazing. This company is growing and expanding and it's a great place to be!

ConsTime management can be challenging. A lot happens on the fly and meeting start and end times don't stick to schedule.
It can be difficult to get hired as the recruiting bar seems to be high, but once here it is great!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! Need to figure out how to retain this amazing culture while growing in size.

Apr 1, 2014

Thanks for the feedback and review. Work/life balance is very important to us, as you point out. We believe fundamentally that for you to truly succeed in your work, you've got to have a healthy ... More

Great company full of dedicated employees

Content Management Associate (Current Employee)
North Canton, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company being led by an extremely talented Executive team. You immediately feel you are part of the Glassdoor family. You work hard because you feel connected to its success and believe in the service it provides. Employees work many hours, not because it is expected, but because you feel you are the reason why it has experienced the amazing success it has. The CEO makes it very clear that Glassdoor is OUR company and and we are an integral part of its success going forward. The benefits are fantastic. PTO adds up to more than 3 weeks per year including holidays. Health, vision,and dental insurance are of no cost to you and my spouse is only an additional $50 per month. There are many fun team building events and you are given one paid day each quarter for community service.

ConsWe are growing and with growth there are growing pains. Content exploded in the past few months and it took longer than it should have to get the help we needed to get it under control. People were given new important tasks to complete during this growth period while the vein of our existence, content, seemed to be drowning. The good news is it was addressed and we are back swimming strongly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget to step back, take a deep breath and make sure our fast, strong growth is not weakening our already established services to our users. You are truly a dream company to be a part of and I am so grateful and honored to be a member of the Glassdoor family.

Great career move

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

ProsThe sales culture here is fantastic. Everyone is so supportive of our common goals. With a relatively newer company, the team is well invested in the future. We all care about the guy/girl next to us succeeding and it shows. The compensation is better than what I've received in the past and puts me on track to make great money. Everyone has fun working here from sales to legal to accounting to engineering. I felt very welcomed from day one and the on-boarding process is great for anyone looking to join Glassdoor.

ConsA lot of things are still in process or in development. This goes with the territory in any company like this. The sales transition was messy in some cases. Not everyone got a good deal and some did genuinely get the short end of the stick. It was a very necessary change and some reps probably made way more money than they should have last year. This next year will really allow the cream to rise to the top per-se.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst and foremost, fix the particular employee count issue everyone knows about ASAP. There's a lot of fixing to be done, but this should be high on the list. Second, let's tighten up our leadership and get this show on the road. Things haven't felt the same since transitioning everyone's roles.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Glassdoor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor Videos

Glassdoor – Why Work for Us?

Do you believe that work matters? We do. In fact, we obsess over helping people find jobs that are the right fit for them. BECAUSE WHERE YOU WORK MATTERS! Our mission is to become the world’s largest and most trusted… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Glassdoor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman. All 102 reviews posted anonymously by Glassdoor employees.