Glassdoor Reviews

Reset
4.6
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to (in 17 reviews)

• Unlimited PTO means that you can have a real work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The office is a little crowded as the company is growing & the sales floor can get a little noisy (in 5 reviews)

• Working from home can be challenging to balance time/distractions (in 4 reviews)

Sales Development Representative

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is by far, the best place I've had the honor of working. They set the bar the high but give you all the tools to succeed. For an entry-level sales position, the training is top-notch, your coworkers are unbelievably supportive, and you get to have some of the best managers around. There's no grey area about your duties and responsibilities. In this role, you really get out what you put in, which is awesome.

The executives really drive home the underlying theme of "transparency" here. The CEO, Robert Hohman, eats lunch with everyone and is one of the most amiable people I've met. If he doesn't recognize you, he will approach you, introduce himself, and ask you his name. That's hard to beat.

Bottom line, you get to start and end each day feeling proud of the work you do here.

Cons

There is a serious learning curve here so this job isn't for the lighthearted. They expect you to work HARD and kick butt at your job. Work load definitely fluctuates, but its sales.

Advice to Management

Nothing. Robert, thanks for making the young, aspiring professionals at this company stoked to be a part of such an awesome company/family.

Glassdoor Response

Apr 26, 2015Manager, Sales Development

Thank you for your great review. We strive to provide an environment that lets you do your best work. Part of that is every day making it a point that you are learning and improving. The learning ... More

2. Amazing culture and learning opportunity

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Managers are supportive and constantly working to ensure employee success; I've never been in a more encouraging environment
    - The learning curve is diminished through constant coaching and training sessions
    - Perks are great: free lunch, snacks, healthcare, bikes, beautiful office location with an easy commute to and from San Francisco, Oakland and the North Bay
    - Teammates are more than just coworkers, they are good friends that root each other on
    - Senior management is extremely transparent and open about discussing change within the company to individual employees
    - Work hard, play hard culture. If you are self motivated and willing to put in the work, you will do amazingly well here
    - No clearly defined promotion track; you can move up as you prove to be ready or move laterally to a different department

Cons

- Rapid growth means new faces every day which is overwhelming
    - No other work environment is quite like Glassdoor. They set the standard so high with culture that finding another company that fits the bill is impossible
    - Salary is lower than most tech companies in the bay area

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. As the company grows culture will be harder to maintain but you've done a great job so far with the current rapid growth.

Loving Life at Glassdoor

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Beautiful headquarters on the water in Sausalito which includes free parking and free lunch!
    -Glassdoor is growing like crazy and it is very exciting to hit new milestones every quarter
    -The sales org has well defined career paths, aggressive but attainable quotas, uncapped commission, fun co-workers, and a supportive management team
    -Clients are very engaged at the Enterprise level. It is fun to work with big brands and make an impact on their business.
    -Our CEO was the main reason I came to Glassdoor. He is brilliant, approachable, and people would follow him anywhere
    -I adore my colleagues
    -Unlimited PTO! I have really taken advantage of that over the past few years :)

Cons

-Sausalito could be considered a downside since it is not in the city, which also makes happy hour a little challenging (I actually like the counter-commute from the city)
    -Normal growing pains, such as territory re-alignments, new processes, and not knowing everyone by name anymore
    -First 6 months for new sales rep can be a little daunting since there is a big learning curve

Advice to Management

-Continue to listen to your teams and make appropriate adjustments
    -The sales org could use more team outings so that we bond with new hires
    -Sales needs another product to sell - our clients want to buy more!
    -Focus on our culture as we grow
    -Keep up the great work!

Great Place to Work with Some Big Challenges

Current Employee - Marketing in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't wait to get to work everyday at Glassdoor. It's an environment full of passion, great energy, and smart people.

Great cultural leader - the CEO sets the tone of working hard, humbleness, listening to all points of view, and solving problems together. He's created a very special company.

Exciting business - we're disrupting and making the world a better place everyday - it's a mission that everyone at the company deeply cares about.

Flexibility - everyone works hard, but there's a lot of tolerance for getting your work done on your own schedule, working outside of office hours, etc.

Strong Consumer and B2B businesses - great leadership and employees have made this company successful.

Strong performance - continuous performance above target in most areas makes riding on this train extremely gratifying.

Scrappy teams that "find a way" to get it done.

Cons

Despite all the amazing "pros", several fairly serious challenges have developed recently due to company's roots and massive growth year over year that need to be addressed. This is a very detailed list, because I care. I love this company and I want it to continue to be great. I would like our leadership to tackle these problems:

1. We work in a two-sided marketplace, and unfortunately, there's a big divide between the teams as well. The company originated on the consumer side, and most of the founders and people able to influence strategy and product innovation place the priority on the consumer side of the business. This makes it challenging to get resources and product improvements to improve the employer experience with our product.

2. It's sometimes unclear how and why product decisions get made, and although people can freely give their input to the product team, it's unclear how the work is prioritized, when things will be delivered, etc. It feels like the product roadmap should be born from a clear company and product strategy, but it feels like a handful of people are making the decisions based on their opinions, with lack of serious consideration of input from internal or external customers. Some of this may be due to a lack of product or engineering resources - but it's definitely a struggle to get engineering resources on anything outside of what product leaders have planned, which is causing us to ignore many innovative ideas with high revenue potential.

3. We're unfortunately developing a culture where you have to work hard to get resources because so many resources are cross-functional. The cross functional resources aren't working, because individuals make decisions on what they are going to work on rather than those decisions being made based on a clear strategy from the top.

4. We need to drink our own champagne when it comes to our culture. In the time I've been at the company, there's been little mention of our culture. We have amazing values stemming from our CEO, but we need to take advantage of those and get everyone on board - especially some of our top leaders who aren't always behaving in ways that align with the core cultural values that Robert believes in for the company.

5. Our strategy from the top is very detailed on the consumer side, but it often feels like our employer business strategy is a line item. I'd like to see everyone in senior management put as much thought into the employer strategy and take the initiative to get to know that business and its customers much better.

6. When entering new businesses or launching new products, we often don't put the strategic horsepower, resources, or dollars behind them. High expectations are set for revenue without the supporting resources or plan, creating a situation where it's difficult to deliver and teams continuously feel like their failing until the product is developed to the point where it provides true value. I'd like to see us define what will make a product and go-to-market strategy successful and get a significant portion of that done before we hold people to revenue targets.

Advice to Management

Spend more time proactively working on the culture and strategy and communicate that out often. Create a strategy that is equally consumer and employer.

Listen to leaders and employees about structural issues, take a hard look at them, and try to make some changes that will make us all productive.

It's time to launch products the right way. Define what is needed for success, and get that done before we launch products and assign people revenue targets.

6. It really doesn't get any better than this!

Current Employee - Client Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Client Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exquisite & transparent leadership, clear company direction, unlimited PTO, free catered healthy lunch everyday, fully equipped gym, employer paid health benefits, bring your dog to work, work/life balance

Cons

Change, change, change! If you're into repetition & incapable of adapting to evolving products, policies & procedures - this may not be the company for you.

Advice to Management

Develop a more standardized training program. Continue to hold open feedback discussions and treat your employees very well - and you can do no wrong. Thank you for investing so much into us!

7. Marketing Manager

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people and culture. Everyone at the company is incredibly helpful, outgoing and an overall team player. I trust those around me to do the right thing and get the job done at all times. There's also loads of opportunity to be had and the freedom to try new approaches to things. I also appreciate the awesome level of collaboration we have across teams (marketing, sales, PR, recruitment, etc.). Our CEO is remarkable and his passion for the company and candidness with employees furthers everyone's belief in / support of our mission.

Cons

We definitely are experiencing some growing pains. As we get bigger, certain systems need to be put in place to compensate for folks being stretched too thin or not enough. It's especially difficult in positions where there is only one person in the function. Many folks may see a single role in multiple lights and it's hard to live up to everyone's expectations and deliver on the amount of requests that come through.

Advice to Management

The company is fantastic and I think you'd be hard to find someone who doesn't love the people they work with here. As we expand, clearer definitions of roles and responsibilities would help reduce ambiguity and stress on certain departments. We also do need to invest in technologies that allow us to scale.

8. Team-oriented but still highly competetive

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

I love my team. I strategize with them daily. There are no dumb questions. People are not afraid to share their ideas and what has worked well. I am growing here professionally and as a person because of the super smart, competitive and team-oriented colleagues with whom I work.

Cons

Glassdoor is growing fast which is good and difficult simultaneously. I would like to see better training after our introductory new-hire class (a class that is geared towards all department new-hires). Moving into a new position, it's difficult to know what questions to ask. Better training would help prevent costly mistakes as a new-hire ramps. Playing devils advocate, this current set up really does foster the motivated, driven individual to take matters into their own hands and act to have a positive impact.

Advice to Management

Continue to be proactive about employee feedback regarding our lightening growth. Training should be more uniform and have structure as we get larger.

SAE

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

I consider myself really lucky to be a part of this organization and am really excited about what the future holds for it. The company has a great culture, does a good job of listening to its employees and as far as selling our products is concerned, I think it's very close to being a "need-to-have" for companies concerned about landing solid talent.

Cons

The rapid growth that I've seen here is generally a good thing, but as expected, has brought some growing pains. Generally the challenges associated with doubling the org. year over year have been addressed by management fairly quickly, but have been challenging nonetheless.

10. Young. Gifted. Positive.

Pros

Summary

More than any company I've ever worked for, Glassdoor practices what it preaches when it comes to the art of organizational transparency. For example, everyone has a say when it comes to new hires (a first in my career), excellent work is publicly acknowledged and management openly discusses results, company changes and the future on a regular basis in all-hands meetings. Glassdoor also boasts the youngest worker demographic of any tech company I’ve worked for, which makes it an energetic, fresh, positive, fast-paced, “Let’s try this!” environment.

Detailed Pros

-Supportive—B2B managers and colleagues have your back, let you know when you’ve done a good job, single you out for love in team meetings
    -Fast growing and open—management honest about future of company, quarterly results
    -Hiring process—taken very seriously, everyone on team has a say, vote and stake in decision
    -Smart, bright people—few, if any weak links, which makes B2B run like a Ferrari
    -Great business model and mission—helping employers make great hires makes you feel good
    -Open floor plan—conducive to collaboration, quick brainstorms, getting things done fast
    -Generational—youngish worker demographic comes with less professional baggage and hang-ups, less “We used to do it this way at XYZ company” attitude
    -Training—new hires go through serious onboarding
    -Dog friendly environment—reduces daily stress, helps lighten things up
    -Great benefits—unlimited PTO, catered lunches, gym, team outings

Cons

-B2B/B2C divide—sometimes feels like two separate companies under one roof
    -Open floor plan—no privacy, often leads to cacophony, hectic environment
    -Sales territories—constantly changing, moving targets lead to churn in Sales, disrupting Marketing sales enablement efforts
    -Dog friendly environment—often a distraction to business at hand
    -Food—more healthy snacks would be appreciated
    -Generational—youngish worker demographic can turn office into free-wheeling party

Advice to Management

Work harder to integrate B2B/B2C sides of the business so talent, expertise and knowledge can be leveraged, repurposed and shared.

Glassdoor Response

May 15, 2015VP, People

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate your candor. As you know, we recently re-orged our Marketing Department to bring B2B and B2C marketing together under our CMO. This should really ... More

Awesome Mission, Growing Fast, Stay Unique

Current Employee - Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great mission on helping job seekers and employers finding the best matches possible. Creates crazy efficiency in the economy and happy employees/employers if we get this right.

- Growing quickly and lots of opportunity to step up and contribute to the rocketship ride in a pre IPO company

- Great perks, flexibility and culture. People understand you can get work done and have a life with competing priorities. Management doesn't care if I have to work from home to take care of appointments. Gym, onsite trainers and a new office on the water is amazing.

Cons

- ASAP Attitude versus Long Term Value. We have very high goals every quarter but are still in the early days on our employer business. We often make strategic decisions quickly based on what's good for sales versus a long term sustainable business that's unique and disruptive. Also tend to ship minimum value products and move on to the next feature quickly without coming back and optimizing previous releases.

- Focused on Competitors vs Ourselves. We're in a competitive space and often compare ourselves against the competition. Totally get it. But this sometimes overly influences our product and sales decisions and take us down a path where we're talking about and imitating our competitors too much.

- Salaries are pretty low compared to other hot tech firms in the Bay Area. Need to address this and keep star performers in the company.

Advice to Management

Focus on Building Everlasting Uniqueness and Value to our Job Seekers and Employers
    Keep Focusing on Building Great Work Environment / Culture and Emphasizing our Misison

RSS Feed </> Embed