Glassdoor Reviews

Reset
4.7
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to (in 17 reviews)

• Work/life balance is really good (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The office is a little crowded as the company is growing & the sales floor can get a little noisy (in 5 reviews)

• When you are working from home, communication can sometimes be difficult (in 4 reviews)

Of all the companies I've worked for Glassdoor is the best

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at Glassdoor because of the people, the pace and how much we are getting done. Never have I worked at a company with so many awesome people. Glassdoor invests in getting you to know your team and it's a huge benefit.

I have the opportunity to solve interesting problems, hardly ever have a boring day and am always learning and being pushed.

On the perks side we are well taken care of with catered lunches, a gym, gym classes, kegs, dry cleaning pick up, plenty of snacks and happy hours.

Cons

Growing pains feel are starting to show but I see a little bit of an effort to keep things moving smoothly. People wear a variety of hats and project owners seem to shuffle so it can be tough knowing who is responsible for driving the project. This definitely slows things down. There are lot of rotating/changing top priorities which come in a fast paced environment. Overall these cons are pretty expected in a startup.

Advice to Management

Keep on being transparent, it's something I really appreciate. Keep answering the tough questions being asked, sometimes the huddle questions seem combed through for the easy ones.

This should be mainly organic but at times we could use a little push to have some events across departments. I know meeting people in different departments has improved my ability to get my job done more efficiently.

Most Rewarding Experience of My Career

Current Employee - Client Success Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Client Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Our employees are phenomenally smart and driven, yet humble and kind. Very few companies of our size can say the same. I love this about Glassdoor.

There is a career path for those who want it.

Glassdoor sets ambitious goals and then beats them. It’s amazing.

All of our teams are endlessly driven, innovative and dedicated.

We are helping people and changing the world.

Cons

Our basic product offerings are quite simple, while their packaging, pricing and value prop feels a bit over-complicated lately.

Rollouts of new features, functions or internal processes can seem hasty. The resulting technical bugs, questions and confusion can be intense.

Advice to Management

You’re getting better at listening to feedback from your teams. Keep it up! These people are a treasure trove of information and ideas. Continue finding constructive and efficient ways to give a voice to those who have something helpful to contribute. (Example: maybe leverage Waggl in new ways?)

With so many moving parts, many challenges are inevitable. And we welcome them. But some challenges can be avoided. Please push extra super hard to make our next moves explainable, functional and scalable for GD users, clients and fellow employees.

Keep up the great work. You're helping make this company wonderful.

3. Young, Casual and Professional

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

- The company atmosphere encourages employee growth and learning
    - Everyone is super excited about coming to work and doing their job to 150%
    - Glassdoor allows unlimited paid time off because they trust their employees to get their work done

Cons

- Would love to see more formal training documentation
    - Would love for a commuter bus for people commuting from the city to Mill Valley

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! It is great to see high level managers so involved in employee success

Great Place to Work with Some Big Challenges

Current Employee - Marketing in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't wait to get to work everyday at Glassdoor. It's an environment full of passion, great energy, and smart people.

Great cultural leader - the CEO sets the tone of working hard, humbleness, listening to all points of view, and solving problems together. He's created a very special company.

Exciting business - we're disrupting and making the world a better place everyday - it's a mission that everyone at the company deeply cares about.

Flexibility - everyone works hard, but there's a lot of tolerance for getting your work done on your own schedule, working outside of office hours, etc.

Strong Consumer and B2B businesses - great leadership and employees have made this company successful.

Strong performance - continuous performance above target in most areas makes riding on this train extremely gratifying.

Scrappy teams that "find a way" to get it done.

Cons

Despite all the amazing "pros", several fairly serious challenges have developed recently due to company's roots and massive growth year over year that need to be addressed. This is a very detailed list, because I care. I love this company and I want it to continue to be great. I would like our leadership to tackle these problems:

1. We work in a two-sided marketplace, and unfortunately, there's a big divide between the teams as well. The company originated on the consumer side, and most of the founders and people able to influence strategy and product innovation place the priority on the consumer side of the business. This makes it challenging to get resources and product improvements to improve the employer experience with our product.

2. It's sometimes unclear how and why product decisions get made, and although people can freely give their input to the product team, it's unclear how the work is prioritized, when things will be delivered, etc. It feels like the product roadmap should be born from a clear company and product strategy, but it feels like a handful of people are making the decisions based on their opinions, with lack of serious consideration of input from internal or external customers. Some of this may be due to a lack of product or engineering resources - but it's definitely a struggle to get engineering resources on anything outside of what product leaders have planned, which is causing us to ignore many innovative ideas with high revenue potential.

3. We're unfortunately developing a culture where you have to work hard to get resources because so many resources are cross-functional. The cross functional resources aren't working, because individuals make decisions on what they are going to work on rather than those decisions being made based on a clear strategy from the top.

4. We need to drink our own champagne when it comes to our culture. In the time I've been at the company, there's been little mention of our culture. We have amazing values stemming from our CEO, but we need to take advantage of those and get everyone on board - especially some of our top leaders who aren't always behaving in ways that align with the core cultural values that Robert believes in for the company.

5. Our strategy from the top is very detailed on the consumer side, but it often feels like our employer business strategy is a line item. I'd like to see everyone in senior management put as much thought into the employer strategy and take the initiative to get to know that business and its customers much better.

6. When entering new businesses or launching new products, we often don't put the strategic horsepower, resources, or dollars behind them. High expectations are set for revenue without the supporting resources or plan, creating a situation where it's difficult to deliver and teams continuously feel like their failing until the product is developed to the point where it provides true value. I'd like to see us define what will make a product and go-to-market strategy successful and get a significant portion of that done before we hold people to revenue targets.

Advice to Management

Spend more time proactively working on the culture and strategy and communicate that out often. Create a strategy that is equally consumer and employer.

Listen to leaders and employees about structural issues, take a hard look at them, and try to make some changes that will make us all productive.

It's time to launch products the right way. Define what is needed for success, and get that done before we launch products and assign people revenue targets.

Account Management Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Glassdoor

Pros

Great people and overall great company. Couldn't have asked for a better experience. I learned a lot about how the ad world works and I got plenty of that.

Cons

Not enough interaction with all the employees. Other than that there are not to many cons with this great company. They really care about all of their employees.

Advice to Management

No advice to Management. They were wonderful to me while I was an intern with them. They got the company first thing down and that really helps motivate all the employees.

7. The Future is Exciting!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I look forward to the daily challenges my job offers. I do not do well when I am idle so the fact that things around here move quickly and I am always incredibly busy keeps me very happy. Employees here are incredibly intelligent which drives everyone to work harder and smarter. I have a really long commute which I have gotten use to and the nice thing about working here is they are very flexible with my schedule. The perks aren’t too shabby either. Free catered lunch every day, a gym on site, a wellness director/personal trainer, cute dogs to pet throughout the day and snacks in every kitchen. Did I mention my team? I absolutely love my team. I am very excited about the direction of Glassdoor and look forward to everything the future brings.

Cons

Communication can be tough sometimes. With so many new hires often times people aren't sure who to communicate things to which then causes things to slip under the radar.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency. Add spell check to the reviews page!

Amazing culture and learning opportunity

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Managers are supportive and constantly working to ensure employee success; I've never been in a more encouraging environment
    - The learning curve is diminished through constant coaching and training sessions
    - Perks are great: free lunch, snacks, healthcare, bikes, beautiful office location with an easy commute to and from San Francisco, Oakland and the North Bay
    - Teammates are more than just coworkers, they are good friends that root each other on
    - Senior management is extremely transparent and open about discussing change within the company to individual employees
    - Work hard, play hard culture. If you are self motivated and willing to put in the work, you will do amazingly well here
    - No clearly defined promotion track; you can move up as you prove to be ready or move laterally to a different department

Cons

- Rapid growth means new faces every day which is overwhelming
    - No other work environment is quite like Glassdoor. They set the standard so high with culture that finding another company that fits the bill is impossible
    - Salary is lower than most tech companies in the bay area

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. As the company grows culture will be harder to maintain but you've done a great job so far with the current rapid growth.

Glassdoor Response

Jun 8, 2015CEO & Founder

Thanks for your review and highlighting some of the great parts of Glassdoor life!

Loving Life at Glassdoor

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Beautiful headquarters on the water in Sausalito which includes free parking and free lunch!
    -Glassdoor is growing like crazy and it is very exciting to hit new milestones every quarter
    -The sales org has well defined career paths, aggressive but attainable quotas, uncapped commission, fun co-workers, and a supportive management team
    -Clients are very engaged at the Enterprise level. It is fun to work with big brands and make an impact on their business.
    -Our CEO was the main reason I came to Glassdoor. He is brilliant, approachable, and people would follow him anywhere
    -I adore my colleagues
    -Unlimited PTO! I have really taken advantage of that over the past few years :)

Cons

-Sausalito could be considered a downside since it is not in the city, which also makes happy hour a little challenging (I actually like the counter-commute from the city)
    -Normal growing pains, such as territory re-alignments, new processes, and not knowing everyone by name anymore
    -First 6 months for new sales rep can be a little daunting since there is a big learning curve

Advice to Management

-Continue to listen to your teams and make appropriate adjustments
    -The sales org could use more team outings so that we bond with new hires
    -Sales needs another product to sell - our clients want to buy more!
    -Focus on our culture as we grow
    -Keep up the great work!

10. Love it.

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

- We all work towards the common goal and vision of helping people find better jobs, and helping companies make better hires.
    - We're spoiled by the views, catering, employee value culture, and ambition around us.

Cons

None, really. Anything that would be a con is negated by the positive.

Glassdoor Response

Jun 8, 2015CEO & Founder

Thanks for the review - the views are pretty stunning :)

11. Direct Sales Representative

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Responsible for helping clients find new products and showing them how they work.
    Mobility of meeting clients instead of calling in an office.
    Relative independence away from an office. it is hourly pay and commission.

Cons

Meeting sales goals can be stressful

Advice to Management

Ttreat all your employees with kindness and dignity. You have the power in this relationship, and that comes with the responsibility of exercising it with reason and decency.

RSS Feed </> Embed