Glassdoor Reviews

Reset
4.7
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to (in 17 reviews)

• Work/life balance is really good (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The office is a little crowded as the company is growing & the sales floor can get a little noisy (in 5 reviews)

• When you are working from home, communication can sometimes be difficult (in 4 reviews)

Passionate, respectful and proud

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

First and foremost is the excitement of building something that will make a difference. In my career, it's generally been easy to be proud of the work I've done, but being proud of what my company does has been less common. The opportunity to take everything I've learned and apply it in a way that helps myself, my co-workers, and our site's visitors is nice -- being recognized and appreciated for the work I do is even better. The team is passionate and respectful, which is a perfect combination for a happy and productive work environment.

Cons

There are the standard pains of building a brand new functional product (and everything to support it) under an accelerated schedule, but the biggest downside is the location -- I miss being able to ride the train to work every day.

Advice to Management

There are many options for growth, including some we may not have considered yet. We have a strong team -- working together, I'm sure we can go in the right direction.

Glassdoor Response

Aug 25, 2014 – Sales

Thank you for our first review!

A new standard for what a startup should be.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

This is my third San Francisco-area startup company. My first was sold to Novell, the second was sold to Macromedia. I thought I understood how successful startups are run. Glassdoor sets a new standard. These guys really know what they're doing, and understand what makes a company successful. I've learned new ways of thinking here, not just about coding, but also by watching our CEO and the VP of Marketing. They do things I would never have thought of doing. (This is the first marketing person for whom I've ever felt any respect!) Any startup is a gamble, but working with these guys gives me a lot of confidence that we will succeed. Both the CEO and VP of Engineering value individual contributors and creativity, and will let you know it. If you just want to code, and do it well, you'll be appreciated for that. The quality of our work life is great. The company is headquartered in beautiful Sausalito, California. Our offices are a block from the water, and 1/2 mile from kayak rentals. We can watch the fog come in over the mountains. On Friday afternoons we open beer and wine and sip while working at our desks and listening to music, which we all take turns D.J.'ing off an iPod. While it's a bit of a jock atmosphere, the company is gay-friendly. (We're just north of San Francisco, after all.)

Cons

Since this is a small company, there is limited opportunity to learn from your colleagues... If you're not comfortable going out and doing some research, you probably won't fit in here. Likewise, you need to be fairly self-directed. Everyone has to be willing to step into different roles, if necessary, so you might end up doing something onerous like PERL scripting, but these kinds of things are always temporary. On occasion, you'll put in long hours. (I've put in a lot of 10-hour days, and occasionally a 12-hour day.) These are voluntary, and I've never seen anyone pressured to work late. People just understand that hard work now will (hopefully) lead to compensatory rewards later. The company is currently a boy's club, and needs some female employees desperately. (I think that everyone realizes we need more balance.) I'm hoping that a year from now this will no longer be the case.

Advice to Management

Remember that corporate culture is set when a company is young. Remember that people process data in different ways; some are analytical, and some are more intuitive. Both work, just differently. Remember that if we develop an incredible application that people have fun using, the profits will come naturally.

Glassdoor.com.....an awesome work at home opportunity!!

Current Employee - Analyst in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Canton, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

The ability to work remotely, at home with non-scheduled hours....therefore, there is a great work / life balance!! This is the best work at home opportunity that I have found that is truly legitimate!!! The salary and PTO are above average, as well as the amount of paid holidays that are offered to part time employees as well as full time employees. Career advancement is huge since this is a start-up company that is growing rapidly. Management is approachable and willing to help grow and advance employee careers. Also, often times we are asked for our opinions to help improve the experience of glassdoor.com for the user....it makes me feel like management respects my opinon. Finally, I have found that it is fun reading about other people's experiences all day....sometimes I forget that I am actually working!!

Cons

I guess the biggest thing would be working 7 days a week to keep up with all of the data. Also, the work can be monotonous somedays doing the same "type" of analyzing for hours on end. Sometimes working remotely causes a lack of communication and a lack of team feeling. There is also not alot of feedback about job performance because of the lack of daily interaction with management. Finally, working from home is great, but not seeing other people can sometimes make you crazy!!!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!! So far this has been a great opportunity.....keep making changes as necessary to make the website easy to navigate and search.

If you love start-up web companies, this is the place for you.

Current Employee - Vice-President in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Vice-President in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

We're living the start-up dream. We're a small, nimble company that has the potential to make a big impact on people's lives. First, I truly believe in the mission of the company - "help people make informed decisions about where they work." Work is important - it's where many people spend the most time, your salary has a big impact on the freedom you have in your life, etc. So helping people make good decisions about their work is important and valuable. Second, the work environment is great. People respect each other. Each person truly contributes to making the company successful. Management (which I'm part of) is extremely open about how decisions are made and what our goals are. And there is a great energy that comes from everyone working together to achieve a shared vision. We respect the importance of having balance in your life. We work hard, but people can always take time off when they want/need to. Often times people work extra but it's because they are excited to deliver results rather than because it's required. And, people are compensated fairly. We have good salaries, extremely generous equity package and great benefits...especially for a startup - what startup do you know that had a 401K in the first year it existed?

Cons

We're prone to many of the drawbacks of a startup. Career opportunity is limited - with a 11 person company, there isn't a lot of room for promotion and taking on more senior roles. However, that is balanced with the opportunity for every person to have total ownership of his/her work and to play many roles so it's a great place to learn and grow. There's also risk in a startup. We're fortunate to have enough capital to build the business, but any startup is riskier than an established company.

Advice to Management

Stay focused. Any successful business is built based on many, many, many correct decisions in a row. So far we've made some good ones, but we need a lot more good decisions to make this business successful.

Enjoying working for Glassdoor

Current Employee - Reviewer in Zanesville, OH
    Current Employee - Reviewer in Zanesville, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

The biggest pro for me is that I get to work from home. I have lots of flexibility on which hours I work on a given day allowing me a great balance between work and my family. My coworkers and managers are friendly, helpful and patient. The compensation is very competitive.

Cons

The work can sometimes get very repetitive; but, being about to break up the hours helps with this. Working from home doesn't give you the work atmosphere where you could build some wonderful friendships; but, the advantages by far outweigh this small disadvantage for me.

Advice to Management

Great job!

A wonderful start-up with great people and interesting challenges

Current Employee - Lead Web Developer in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Web Developer in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

I was the second non-founding employee at Glassdoor, so I've been here since the beginning. Clearly it's working for me. The management is some of the best I've worked with, and I've worked in tech for quite a long time. They're not just great at what they do, either. They're genuinely fun people. I consider myself a code artist. (I'm not nearly as douchey as that sounds.) I find that Glassdoor continues to maintain my interest with the challenges of developing the site. I'm continuously learning new things, which makes me very happy. The office environment is for the most part an open floor plan. No soul-deadening cubicles, just a bunch of desks. As a web developer, I'm face-to-face with our designer, which works very well. People can simply turn around and ask questions of other team members. It's a very interactive environment, and I like that. The folks who have chattier jobs, like Business Development, our lawyer, and the head of marketing all have private offices, which also works well. We don't have to listen to them talking on the phone all day. The office kitchen is heavily stocked with an assortment of soft drinks, unhealthy snacks, and fresh fruit. There is also beer and wine on Friday afternoons and with the occasional barbecue on our expansive deck. Employees take turns playing disk jockey on the office stereo. The office has an entire wall of windows looking out onto the Sausalito hills. And the water is only a block away. Overall, the office lifestyle is pretty darned good.

Cons

The downside of constantly being challenged is that I'm usually exhausted at the end of the day. If I have a social event right after work, it takes me about an hour to recover from my 'code coma' and be able to make decent conversation. Our site needs to work on Internet Explorer. Any web developer will read that and start shaking their heads in sympathy. Everyone else should just stop using IE and switch to Firefox, Chrome, or Safari. Please? You'll be glad you did. The pay is on the low side, but there are the stock options, which hopefully will hugely make amends for that some day. Still, it would be nice to make a little more money. Every engineer knows that nice vacations and the latest electronic gadgets are a great cure for burn-out. :-) Though the company is fairly relaxed about vacation time, the 'official' 2 weeks seems pretty minimal. (Full disclosure: I believe we should get 4-6 weeks vacation, like the more-civilized Europeans. But I'm not sure that would work in a start-up environment.)

Advice to Management

As the company grows, pay attention to our corporate culture. Remember to care about user experience on our site. Keep our users informed and delighted, and they'll swarm to the site. All of the revenue-generating metrics (page views, etc) will follow.

Glassdoor Review

Current Employee - Content Moderator in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Content Moderator in Canton, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

-Work at home -Flexible hours -Great balance of home life and work life -Great people to work with -Interesting work -Proud to be part of a growing company

Cons

-Can be isolating working at home -Can be hard to balance work/home at times -Benefits for part time

Advice to Management

I know being a small company can be challenging to keep up with growth but eveyone is doing a great job!

Great Place To Grow Your Career

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

Opportunity to work at a company that is changing the industry landscape. The management team is truly behind the company, and the success of the company. Plenty of room for professional and personal growth. If you are willing to work hard and produce there will be a place for you at Glassdoor.

Cons

Not to many cons about working at Glassdoor. Sometimes things change quickly, but that is how things go with any young start up. There was a little of trial and error on how the sales process was going to work in the beginning. I believe we are working out the kinks and moving forward.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Couldn't be happier!

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

Fantastic Co-workers Great Comp Package w / Uncapped Commissions Good location Industry changing innovations daily

Cons

Creating many processes as we long along Office space and seating could be improved

Advice to Management

Keep up the GREAT work! I couldn't ask for a more transparent and knowledgeable management team to work for!

Best Place to Work, Great Future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

Glassdoor is a really exciting place to work. Even on those days when I'm busy and pretty exhausted, I leave with the feeling that I love my job! Senior management works hard to create an environment that welcomes each individual's input. The work/life balance can't be beat. The challenges are interesting and fun to tackle. I'm constantly energized with the work that we do and the direction the company is headed.

Cons

With several team members scattered throughout the Bay Area, California and the US, it's tough at times to keep connected. Glassdoor's also growing so fast so the office space in Sausalito is pretty cosey which means there are often many distractions. Also if you're not self-motivated or you're fearful of letting your opinions be heard, this might not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

RSS Feed </> Embed