Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman

Robert Hohman

Pros
  • Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to(in 14 reviews)

• Work/life balance is good with flexible scheduling and ability to work from home when you want or need to(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • High expectations right from the get-go and very fast paced environment(in 6 reviews)

• The new building is great but there are some little things that need to be worked out(in 5 reviews)

Great

ProsThe culture is very great. It is unlike a lot of other companies that I have come across.

ConsIt takes time to figure out what we might want to do.

The best way to spend a summer

Content & Community (Current Employee) Sausalito, CA

Pros- Meet new people
    - Great pay
    - Work/life balance very strong
    - Fun things to do during breaks
    - Ability to manage oneself
    - Free, healthy, & delicious lunches
    - Dog friendly environment

Cons- Work could get a little tedious, but that happens at all internships
    - Nothing else bothered me

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Up, up, and away!

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Canton, OH

ProsGlassdoor practices what they preach!
    The transparency is present.
    Growth potential is certainly available for those that seek it or want it, especially with the rate at which we are growing as a company. Jobs, titles, divisions are present now that may not have been 3 or 6 months ago and will continue to evolve as we are rapidly growing and adjusting for growth.
    Communication is certainly a priority and constantly being worked on.
    The benefits out-surpass any place I have worked before or have been involved with.
    Additional training/education is available by simply requesting it

ConsBeing remote from the Corporate office has, at times, been a challenge from a communication standpoint and at times a disconnect.
    Orientation processes for remote folks/locations should be considered as much as the process that is present for the corporate office - this is a definite sore point.
    Scheduling of company-wide meetings needs to also take into account time zone differences for the availability of those attending. Alternately secured video recording should be made and available for those who cannot attend and would like to 'see what they missed".

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the effort with communicating and bridging the gaps that are present at times with information for remotes.
    A clearer definition/explanation of what remote locations are to expect from an office setup in relation to what is praised/touted at the Corporate location - not everyone has a clear understanding of the differences and reasoning.
    This is a great company that is growing quickly and with rapid growth are the typical growing pains.
    Never-the-less, keep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best company I have ever worked for!

PR/Corporate Communications (Current Employee) Mill Valley, CA

ProsGlassdoor really knows how to take care of their employees. We get high-quality swag, catered lunch everyday, gym access, kayaks and snacks...all for free! We are a dog friendly office, which is awesome. Unlimited PTO, healthcare, high compensation.

ConsThe commute to and from work can be quite lengthy. Even in the carpool lane, it has taken an hour to get from Novato to Mill Valley.

Great company and people!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sausalito, CA

ProsSo far working at Glassdoor has been a great experience! Coworkers are very friendly, office is great, strong management, all over a very positive experience.

ConsNo cons at this time but haven't been with the company that long...

right place at the right time.... the 5 stars are aligned

Enterprise Sales (Current Employee) Sausalito, CA

Proskiller office in one of the most beautiful locations in the world (yes, if you live in the city, you have to drive over one of the 7 modern wonders of the world on your commute. Is that so bad for free lunch, gym, hiking trails, great people, great culture, and watching sea planes land while you work?).
    Meritocracy. Put in good, hard, smart work and you will be rewarded. Sales leadership has worked toward creating opportunities for career growth & financial success across all levels. Promotions happen often & there is a constant focus on learning and development. Constant collaboration among reps is a beautiful thing.
    Our mission is clear and we eat our own cooking. Everyone is focused on making Glassdoor the best place to help employers find the best talent and job seekers find jobs they love -- and we love where we work too.

ConsComp plans aren't always clear. With our growth plan, it can feel like there are hiring quotas. We're attracting amazing talent, but it seems some decisions are made in haste.
    Be ready for and open to change - all the time.
    Dogs in the office and an open floor plan can make for a crazy environment. A steep investment in noise canceling headphones is needed to maintain sanity on the sales floor (some of the dogs are awfully cute though).
    It would be nice to see some more promotions & females in management/leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of runway ahead. Living and breathing Glassdoor values will be crucial to maintaining culture through rapid growth. Be transparent, stay ethical and keep hiring incredibly talented people without egos. It might be time to think about an east coast office.

Exceeds Expectations

Account Executive (Current Employee) Mill Valley, CA

ProsEveryone here is incredibly talented. If you can get into this company, you not only were an all-star at your last company, but you are likely someone that I would want to hang out with on the weekends. There is zero ego here and everyone has an understanding that as there is no room for lone wolves at this company. Team culture, CEO cares.

ConsBridge toll is not covered. But free lunch kinda offsets it. Hiring a lot from the outside. Make sure you don't neglect the AE's that want to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementI appreciate the management trying to grow in the RIGHT way. Hiring the RIGHT people. And making sure the lower management is empowered to run the ground operations is key- because they are feeding the beast both financially and with a winning culture.

Glassdoor Content Services Manager responded to this review

Jul 10, 2014

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback!

Great company. Great Culture. Great sense of community.

ProsGlassdoor's mission is to help people people find a job they love and the company fully encompasses that mission inside it's own glass doors. The benefits are phenomenal, the food is yummy, and the people here really care about each other.

ConsThe commute is a big one. The new building is great but there are some little things that need to be worked out.

Best Job Ever

ProsI love coming to work every day. I genuinely wake up excited to start working on my projects! Great culture, everyone actually cares about you. Free breakfast and lunch really does make a difference — and it's such great food! The new office is beautiful and I couldn't imagine working anywhere else. Don't plan on just sitting around... You'll be working really hard, but it's all 100% worth it!

ConsNot much time to get into things when you first start, but that could be seen as a good or a bad thing. I liked it that people trusted me from the get-go to tackle projects and not be micro-managed, but some may not think that's enough training. No other cons!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, and try your hardest to maintain this culture even though we're growing like crazy.

Best job ever!

Public Relations (Current Employee) Sausalito, CA

ProsI love my job, and I love helping others find jobs they love. The culture at Glassdoor is unlike anywhere else I've worked, and it all trickles down from leadership and managers. Glassdoor is an open, transparent and supportive environment, which I truly value. The thing I like most about working here is the fact that I believe in Glassdoor's mission and vision, and I know my co-workers do too. My colleagues are super smart and passionate, and it's infectious.

Located in beautiful, sunny Sausalito, I enjoy riding my bike to work, eating on our deck overlooking the Bay at lunch and taking free yoga classes outside. Work/life balance is good with flexible scheduling and ability to work from home when you want or need to. We have an unlimited vacation policy, and whenever I'm on vacation, I'm encouraged to actually be on vacation - no checking emails or working!

The benefits and perks are wonderful with free lunch daily (salads, sandwiches, soup, daily hot dishes), a beautiful gym with high-end equipment and locker room, game room, beer on tap, Philz coffee, kayaks, standing desks, dog friendly (shoutout to Ruby!), etc. We have good healthcare, vision, dental and commuter benefits (for people that take public transportation) as well. Salary, bonuses and stock options are fair.

It really is the best job I've ever had, and I enjoy coming to work every day.

ConsThe biggest downside of working at Glassdoor is the commute (if you live in SF or beyond). Riding/driving over the Golden Gate Bridge every day has its perks so it isn't all bad, but if I could change anything I would move the entire Glassdoor campus to San Francisco.

Communication between departments can improve (and is improving!), especially as we continue to grow.

Though commuter benefits are awesome, I'd love to see a bike commuter benefit program put into place.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy managers are super supportive, give helpful feedback and routine performance reviews - keep it up!

Worked for Glassdoor? Contribute to the Community!