Glassdoor

Updated September 13, 2014
4.8

Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to (in 16 reviews)

• Glassdoor is all about creating a good work/life balance and this is clear from some of the office policies (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Working from home can be challenging to balance time/distractions (in 4 reviews)

• High expectations right from the get-go and very fast paced environment (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Best company

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Glassdoor has an amazing culture. The overall energy in the company is encouraging, uplifting and rewarding. Left alone the amazing office, game room, gym, food, yoga, poker nights and all those perks. I love working here. Best company I worked at.

Cons

Nothing comes in mind so I guess none so far

Keep the unique culture that you've created. It's priceless.

Best job ever!

Current Employee - Public Relations in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Public Relations in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love my job, and I love helping others find jobs they love. The culture at Glassdoor is unlike anywhere else I've worked, and it all trickles down from leadership and managers. Glassdoor is an open, transparent and supportive environment, which I truly value. The thing I like most about working here is the fact that I believe in Glassdoor's mission and vision, and I know my co-workers do too. My colleagues are super smart and passionate, and it's infectious.

Located in beautiful, sunny Sausalito, I enjoy riding my bike to work, eating on our deck overlooking the Bay at lunch and taking free yoga classes outside. Work/life balance is good with flexible scheduling and ability to work from home when you want or need to. We have an unlimited vacation policy, and whenever I'm on vacation, I'm encouraged to actually be on vacation - no checking emails or working!

The benefits and perks are wonderful with free lunch daily (salads, sandwiches, soup, daily hot dishes), a beautiful gym with high-end equipment and locker room, game room, beer on tap, Philz coffee, kayaks, standing desks, dog friendly (shoutout to Ruby!), etc. We have good healthcare, vision, dental and commuter benefits (for people that take public transportation) as well. Salary, bonuses and stock options are fair.

It really is the best job I've ever had, and I enjoy coming to work every day.

Cons

The biggest downside of working at Glassdoor is the commute (if you live in SF or beyond). Riding/driving over the Golden Gate Bridge every day has its perks so it isn't all bad, but if I could change anything I would move the entire Glassdoor campus to San Francisco.

Communication between departments can improve (and is improving!), especially as we continue to grow.

Though commuter benefits are awesome, I'd love to see a bike commuter benefit program put into place.

My managers are super supportive, give helpful feedback and routine performance reviews - keep it up!

A great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very open culture
    Great office with great perks - unlimited vacation, free lunch, recreation room, kayaks
    Flexible hours/Work from home if necessary
    Feel like I always know what is going on with the company, no secrets

Cons

Communication between teams is sometimes difficult
    Career path isn't always super clear
    Could use more traning, which I think is getting a lot better with our new hires

Great opportunity

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work , very friendly people.
    Lot of potential growth.
    They have a great onboarding process for new employees.

Cons

Its in the Mill Valley which is not very easy to commute via public transport.

Best career move I ever made!

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Top down culture - we practice what we preach. CEO sets the tone - lives and breathes our core values which roll downhill. People matter, integrity, accountability, passion, ownership and leadership!

Benefits - Work life balance, everyone has stock and is rewarded for their accomplishments - whether you are part of a team or individual contributor. Competitive salary, excellent benefits, lots of perks, free lunch daily, gym, BBQ's, tons of events, team building, dog-friendly office - one big happy family and growing!

Leadership - you are empowered to take risks, think outside the box. Alignment on vision, strategy - doesn't mean management always agrees, but with exceptional talent, mutual respect, innovation and collaboration - they ultimately lead us toward the best decisions for the customers, company and staff.

Cool new digs!

Cons

Tremendous growth since I started (that's the good part), but change management can be challenging. Scaling infrastructure, on-boarding new employees so they are equipped for success, implementing new policies and procedures effectively...people don't like change. Growing up to play with the big boys means changes that are not always easily adopted.

Definitely in favor of continued leadership training across the board.
    401k match would be awesome!

Awesome company to work for!!

Former Employee - Content Moderator in North Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Content Moderator in North Canton, OH

I worked at Glassdoor as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The job itself is not all that hard, the people were awesome and very helpful. The environment was outstanding and very welcoming. Very laid back work environment, you could bring your dog to work, they worked with you if something came up and you couldn't make it in or couldn't stay all day. Work-life balance was great. Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to. Really enjoyed my time there. Very involved in outside activities also. Great benefits from what I heard.

Cons

Work from home if you are not a temp could be hard for some. Other than that I couldn't really see any con's besides normal start-up problems.

Keep up the awesome job the company itself if very helpful. Hopefully one day I will actually be an employee here again!!

Great Company

Former Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful location, fast growing website, young professionals, fun outings, good management, better food, Molly Stones is across the street, You can see sailboats from the windows...

Cons

Typical start-up environment...lots of policy changes and turnover that can lead to unrest.

Living up to its values

Current Employee - Account Manager in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am literally excited to wake up for work every morning! The people here are smart, curious, driven and highly engaging people. They are people that I want to hang out with in and out of work.

Glassdoor does a great job of offering above-average benefits without expecting us to slave away for 12 hours a day. We have a great work/life balance and they encourage that through unlimited PTO, happy hours, flexible working hours, etc.

We are also moving into a brand new office next week which is adding to the excitement!

Cons

Managers are simply amazing, but sometimes it would help to be a little less "hands on" (i.e. not taking over unless absolutely necessary). There is also a lot of change, but from what I can see it is all for the better.

It would be amazing if our cell phone bills were comped--I am constantly checking emails & even taking work calls on my iPhone. It is my experience that if work is expected on a phone, it should be covered.

It would also be great if there was a commuter shuttle from the city. But these are just "suggestions"

Don't feel like you always have to follow everything "by the book" & over-manage.

Flexible hours and great work life balance!

Current Employee - Lead Generation Associate in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Generation Associate in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Glassdoor emphasis on employee satisfaction, so they are very flexible and understanding with schedule changes. You can make your own hours (depending on your projects and goals) and work from home as well. This company truly understands that employees have lives, and they can change your goals if you're going through a difficult time in your life, or give you more responsibilities if you ask for them. If you show them you're capable, a hard worker, and are invested/passionate about the company, they will have faith in your abilities. Glassdoor is a great company, and they've done an exceptional job with the people they hired and promoted.

Although top level executives tend to be running in and out of meetings all day, they really try and interact with everyone all the time. It's great to see a horizontal structure where if you want to talk to a VP, Exec, C-Level, etc, employee, they are all willing, but most importantly WANTING to hear you out.

Cons

Although everyone is very open and nice, it's hard to form some connections with people due to the separation of locations. I'm sure once we move into our new building, it will foster a more open atmosphere where people will engage more.

I feel really lucky to work here.

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

high quality leadership that is transparent about company vision and strategy; impressive board level involvement; collaborative atmosphere with really great people

Cons

as expected in a fast-paced, high growth environment, there is often a lot to do and not enough people to do it