Glassdoor

Updated August 19, 2014

4.8

Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to (in 14 reviews)

• Work/life balance is good with flexible scheduling and ability to work from home when you want or need to (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • High expectations right from the get-go and very fast paced environment (in 6 reviews)

• The new building is great but there are some little things that need to be worked out (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good changes are a-comin'!

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

$50M in growth for an international expansion - awesome
    48% of people NOW use Glassdoor in their job searching process - awesome
    Name recognition "Glassdoor" is skyrocketing - awesome
    Basically the company is growing like wild fire, which is..... awesome.

In addition, if feels SUPER good to be part of a company who's products actually work! Honestly, I feel 100% confident in selling Glassdoor products, because they have helped every employer I know. And it's great to work for a company where I can come into the office everyday (or work from home), and know that I am helping people everywhere find the jobs and companies they love.

Cons

With great growth, comes some pretty big changes. There's been some good and bad changes to the comp structure of the sales team. Things are getting better, but change is of course not easy.

Communication is also getting much harder across the organization, I'm not always aware what the product teams are working on, or what is coming down the pipeline. Also, finding the right person to speak with about x,y, or z may be hard if you're just starting out here. But at least with Glassdoor we maintain a small org feel, so there are still weekly huddles, and I still feel like I can walk into the CEO's office, and talk to him about anything. That's great.

Great job across the board. Please continue to iron out the compensation plan for the sales team asap.

Thanks!

Glassdoor Response

Apr 1, 2014CEO

Thanks for the feedback and review. I'm glad to hear the the new comp plan and sales model is working for you. The past three months have definitely seen quite a few changes as we have transitioned ... More

Motivated, professional people all working together to help people everywhere find the jobs and companies they love!

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love my job. It's such a pleasure coming to work for a company that actually acknowledges and rewards your strengths and encourages you to grow. Every single day I'm learning something new. There's a real spirit of mentorship and teamwork that comes naturally when everyone in the room is after the same overall goal. There's great collaboration between departments, with each department bringing their perspective to the table (and each department is acknowledged for their contributions). My boss, in particular, is the BEST boss I've ever had-- she is friendly, thoroughly knowledgeable, straight-forward, positive, and she goes to bat for me and other members of her team on a regular basis.

Cons

Growing pains... we are running out of space, but this is only a minor con since we have a new building being prepped right now. Once we complete the move, we'll have plenty of space and great new digs.

Keep doing what you're doing! I love my colleagues (they are so smart and overall good-natured people), I love the perks, I love the culture, and I love the fact that all managers (including C-Suite) are accessible and open to feedback-- and are willing to make real change happen as quickly as possible when it's warranted, especially for the benefit of our employees, our company, our users, and our clients. Please keep these things in place, and we'll never go wrong.

Heaven on Earth!

Current Employee - IT Support  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - IT Support in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love my team and job. Entire staff is extremely friendly and welcoming. Company activities abound and Office location is just plain beautiful!

There's lots to do and the learning curve is high, but great people and environment makes it "fun!"

One of the few companies that value their IT Department and Support Staff.

Cons

I don't see anything wrong with compensation package and Unlimited PTO may not be all it's cracked up to be; however, this is the first Tech Company that I have been to that's offering it. Heck, why do I need so much vacation when my job is worth going to everyday?

First place I ever worked where Management cares to make it great.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inspiring to be part of a company that all job seekers love

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The #1 reason glassdoor is so great is because our mission is helping people everyone find the job they love. This is a big goal and will take many years to clearly become the best recruitment company in the world - so it's fun to have this exciting work ahead of us for years to come. In the short term - the pay is great & the culture is really fun - a strong IPO looks very probably given the history of our leadership and success of companies like TripAdvisor.

Cons

Typical startup issues - a lot of change but our senior leadership is good to guide us thru it all. Robert & Roop are amazing.

I'm in sales - new products please :)

Smart, easy going people all motivated and working toward the same goal.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The people are all smart and dedicated. Work / life balance is great. There is a good balance of working very hard but also having a life outside work.
    The Sausalito location is amazing -- Just minutes over the Golden Gate Bridge it an easy commute from the city, East Bay and of course Marin.
    Career opportunities are amazing. This company is growing and expanding and it's a great place to be!

Cons

Time management can be challenging. A lot happens on the fly and meeting start and end times don't stick to schedule.
    It can be difficult to get hired as the recruiting bar seems to be high, but once here it is great!

Keep doing what you're doing! Need to figure out how to retain this amazing culture while growing in size.

Glassdoor Response

Apr 1, 2014CEO

Thanks for the feedback and review. Work/life balance is very important to us, as you point out. We believe fundamentally that for you to truly succeed in your work, you've got to have a healthy ... More

A company is just a collection of idea and people

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been at Glassdoor only for 6 months now. From the moment I interviewed, to this very moment, I have been thrilled to be here. Glassdoor has a collection of wonderful people with wonderful ideas. Our goal is to help people to find the job they love, and as work is such a critical part of our lives, it is so important to be in an environment you love. I love being at Glassdoor. I have worked in many places over the years. I feel like I am home now with Glassdoor.

Cons

Every company has cons, we live in an imperfect world. Nothing of significance here.

Great company full of dedicated employees

Current Employee - Content Management Associate  in  North Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Content Management Associate in North Canton, OH

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company being led by an extremely talented Executive team. You immediately feel you are part of the Glassdoor family. You work hard because you feel connected to its success and believe in the service it provides. Employees work many hours, not because it is expected, but because you feel you are the reason why it has experienced the amazing success it has. The CEO makes it very clear that Glassdoor is OUR company and and we are an integral part of its success going forward. The benefits are fantastic. PTO adds up to more than 3 weeks per year including holidays. Health, vision,and dental insurance are of no cost to you and my spouse is only an additional $50 per month. There are many fun team building events and you are given one paid day each quarter for community service.

Cons

We are growing and with growth there are growing pains. Content exploded in the past few months and it took longer than it should have to get the help we needed to get it under control. People were given new important tasks to complete during this growth period while the vein of our existence, content, seemed to be drowning. The good news is it was addressed and we are back swimming strongly.

Don't forget to step back, take a deep breath and make sure our fast, strong growth is not weakening our already established services to our users. You are truly a dream company to be a part of and I am so grateful and honored to be a member of the Glassdoor family.

Great career move

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

The sales culture here is fantastic. Everyone is so supportive of our common goals. With a relatively newer company, the team is well invested in the future. We all care about the guy/girl next to us succeeding and it shows. The compensation is better than what I've received in the past and puts me on track to make great money. Everyone has fun working here from sales to legal to accounting to engineering. I felt very welcomed from day one and the on-boarding process is great for anyone looking to join Glassdoor.

Cons

A lot of things are still in process or in development. This goes with the territory in any company like this. The sales transition was messy in some cases. Not everyone got a good deal and some did genuinely get the short end of the stick. It was a very necessary change and some reps probably made way more money than they should have last year. This next year will really allow the cream to rise to the top per-se.

First and foremost, fix the particular employee count issue everyone knows about ASAP. There's a lot of fixing to be done, but this should be high on the list. Second, let's tighten up our leadership and get this show on the road. Things haven't felt the same since transitioning everyone's roles.

exciting growth with intelligent, engaged, dedicated people

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

great teamwork. the real, visible prospects of growth mean that we (i) are (am) motivated to give it my all at glassdoor. i am inspired to perform well, feel that my efforts are respected, appreciated, and noticed, and i would like to spend a significant chunk of my career here.

(or at least the next few years!)

the growth opportunities also means that the types of politics that are present in any work / office environment are not present here. what i mean is, sometimes in a place where morale is low, or opportunities are limited, you can see people turn on one another to get ahead, or simply to survive.

at glassdoor, that is not an issue, and so we can turn our efforts towards helping one another, growing together, and excelling together.

Cons

tight space as we wait for our new building to be completed. building permitting issues are slowing us down, and it makes for a little bit of stress.

also, this selling point for new hires is a bit farther away than it should be... i hear this should have happened in december 2013 of january 2014. its now mid march 2014, and i think we are looking at early summer?

not the fault of glassdoor management, perhaps, but once we do relocate (a few miles north), i see the morale (already high) jumping to all new levels of high.

keep sight of the amazing people who brought you this far, and continue to listen to them. keep us involved, keep us engaged, and we will reward you with our loyalty, dedication, and talents.

Best job ever

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

I feel like I learn something new every day and am constantly improving. The senior management is very accessible and open to feedback. Our solutions provide great results for the companies that we work with - so you can take a lot of pride in what you are doing and build really awesome relationships with your clients. It's a very collaborative environment where people drop what they're doing to help you and make sure you have all the tools you need to be successful.

I think we do a really great job practicing what we preach and being transparent within our own organization. Every employee at Glassdoor is instrumental to the success of the company and management does a great job to show people that they are appreciated. I really love this company.

Cons

Because of the rapid growth within the sales team, there have been a lot of territory changes recently. It can definitely be frustrating when you have to let go of an opportunity. But that does go both ways, so for every deal you have to give up.....you typically get one back.

The move to our new building has been delayed a few times and we are getting pretty packed within our current space. It's a start up and sometimes you have to be scrappy, but it's hard to find a quiet place to place to think.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Worked for Glassdoor? Contribute to the Community!