Glassdoor Reviews

Reset
4.7
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to (in 17 reviews)

• Work/life balance is really good (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The office is a little crowded as the company is growing & the sales floor can get a little noisy (in 5 reviews)

• When you are working from home, communication can sometimes be difficult (in 4 reviews)

1. Perfect place tot work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

People are nice. Nice location. Great mission.

Cons

Not for now, maybe later

Advice to Management

Keep moving

Great culture and people but need to address scaling issues

Former Employee - Director of Product in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Product in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor

Pros

People are fun, smart and motivated. They genuinely like being there. The CEO is very open and transparent about pretty much everything. A lot of information is shared in weekly all hands meetings, and employees do have a good idea of where the company is heading, the challenges ahead, why they make certain decisions (like funding rounds), etc. It is definitely a high-potential company. Glassdoor is not going away and an IPO is inevitable. So probably a decent upside for those who stick around. And of course the perks are fantastic. Catered and healthy food, free well-equipped gym with free crossfit/bootcamp/yoga classes, snacks, kayaks to take out into the bay, etc. Location is beautiful, right by the bay with views of water and hills, and running trails all around. From a product mgmt perspective, the engineers are high quality and take a lot of ownership. Things move pretty fast from ideation to execution.

Cons

While I believe that everyone in the executive leadership team is well-intentioned and want Glassdoor to succeed while creating a great culture, I think more needs to be done in order to scale. This is especially true in the product and marketing organizations. It is always hard for founders or early employees to make room as the company grows and to cede control. The shift from being a scrappy startup to a well-oiled growth engine with good processes/practices is not an easy one, but the change needs to be made. For this to happen, senior leaders need to move away from being very hands-on and driving every decision top-down to empowering their employees, trusting them to do the right things and encouraging constructive discussions/arguments. As a product leader especially, you cannot keep throwing terms like "let's be scrappy" when you should be driving sound practices through the product org that encourages good long-term planning, roadmapping process, socializing with stake holders, running experiments, etc. And when product managers feel like they do not have clear ownership and are mere foot soldiers when decisions are top down, then they will struggle to excel at their jobs. They will be left to defend ideas with various stake holders that are not their own and that they don't necessarily even believe in.

Advice to Management

Keep up your investment in creating a great culture and being transparent. However, help your senior leaders make the transition from 'scrappy' startup to a mature product org. They should focus on building out good practices/processes, empowering people and creating an atmosphere that encourages constructive arguments. True ownership (and not the illusion of it) is what retains good product people and helps build a great product org.

Of all the companies I've worked for Glassdoor is the best

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at Glassdoor because of the people, the pace and how much we are getting done. Never have I worked at a company with so many awesome people. Glassdoor invests in getting you to know your team and it's a huge benefit. I have the opportunity to solve interesting problems, hardly ever have a boring day and am always learning and being pushed. On the perks side we are well taken care of with catered lunches, a gym, gym classes, kegs, dry cleaning pick up, plenty of snacks and happy hours.

Cons

Growing pains feel are starting to show but I see a little bit of an effort to keep things moving smoothly. People wear a variety of hats and project owners seem to shuffle so it can be tough knowing who is responsible for driving the project. This definitely slows things down. There are lot of rotating/changing top priorities which come in a fast paced environment. Overall these cons are pretty expected in a startup.

Advice to Management

Keep on being transparent, it's something I really appreciate. Keep answering the tough questions being asked, sometimes the huddle questions seem combed through for the easy ones. This should be mainly organic but at times we could use a little push to have some events across departments. I know meeting people in different departments has improved my ability to get my job done more efficiently.

Great Company & Special Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

I'm proud to be a part of Glassdoor! Our mission of helping bring transparency and value to job seekers is very rewarding. Here are some other pros: - The people at Glassdoor are fantastic. Everyone works hard, and there seems to be a common level of mutual respect between all employees. It's evident we're all on the same team. - Senior Management is approachable and open to feedback. Important changes are generally explained in detail and accompanied with reasoning with the opportunity to ask questions. - They also provide Emotional Training, which helps you develop both professionally at work, but also with your personal relationships. - Great opportunities for career advancement and growth.

Cons

Pretty much the cons are byproducts of the massive growth of Glassdoor experienced over the last year. - The more people joining the company, the more challenging it becomes to encourage a fun and consistent culture, where people know and care about each other. - Many formal policies and procedures are currently being put in place or revamped. Embracing change is important, but the speed can feel overwhelming and somewhat disjointed at times.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! We're on the right path.

Most Rewarding Experience of My Career

Current Employee - Client Success Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Client Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Our employees are phenomenally smart and driven, yet humble and kind. Very few companies of our size can say the same. I love this about Glassdoor. There is a career path for those who want it. Glassdoor sets ambitious goals and then beats them. It’s amazing. All of our teams are endlessly driven, innovative and dedicated. We are helping people and changing the world.

Cons

Our basic product offerings are quite simple, while their packaging, pricing and value prop feels a bit over-complicated lately. Rollouts of new features, functions or internal processes can seem hasty. The resulting technical bugs, questions and confusion can be intense.

Advice to Management

You’re getting better at listening to feedback from your teams. Keep it up! These people are a treasure trove of information and ideas. Continue finding constructive and efficient ways to give a voice to those who have something helpful to contribute. (Example: maybe leverage Waggl in new ways?) With so many moving parts, many challenges are inevitable. And we welcome them. But some challenges can be avoided. Please push extra super hard to make our next moves explainable, functional and scalable for GD users, clients and fellow employees. Keep up the great work. You're helping make this company wonderful.

Great Place to Work with Some Big Challenges

Current Employee - Marketing in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't wait to get to work everyday at Glassdoor. It's an environment full of passion, great energy, and smart people. Great cultural leader - the CEO sets the tone of working hard, humbleness, listening to all points of view, and solving problems together. He's created a very special company. Exciting business - we're disrupting and making the world a better place everyday - it's a mission that everyone at the company deeply cares about. Flexibility - everyone works hard, but there's a lot of tolerance for getting your work done on your own schedule, working outside of office hours, etc. Strong Consumer and B2B businesses - great leadership and employees have made this company successful. Strong performance - continuous performance above target in most areas makes riding on this train extremely gratifying. Scrappy teams that "find a way" to get it done.

Cons

Despite all the amazing "pros", several fairly serious challenges have developed recently due to company's roots and massive growth year over year that need to be addressed. This is a very detailed list, because I care. I love this company and I want it to continue to be great. I would like our leadership to tackle these problems: 1. We work in a two-sided marketplace, and unfortunately, there's a big divide between the teams as well. The company originated on the consumer side, and most of the founders and people able to influence strategy and product innovation place the priority on the consumer side of the business. This makes it challenging to get resources and product improvements to improve the employer experience with our product. 2. It's sometimes unclear how and why product decisions get made, and although people can freely give their input to the product team, it's unclear how the work is prioritized, when things will be delivered, etc. It feels like the product roadmap should be born from a clear company and product strategy, but it feels like a handful of people are making the decisions based on their opinions, with lack of serious consideration of input from internal or external customers. Some of this may be due to a lack of product or engineering resources - but it's definitely a struggle to get engineering resources on anything outside of what product leaders have planned, which is causing us to ignore many innovative ideas with high revenue potential. 3. We're unfortunately developing a culture where you have to work hard to get resources because so many resources are cross-functional. The cross functional resources aren't working, because individuals make decisions on what they are going to work on rather than those decisions being made based on a clear strategy from the top. 4. We need to drink our own champagne when it comes to our culture. In the time I've been at the company, there's been little mention of our culture. We have amazing values stemming from our CEO, but we need to take advantage of those and get everyone on board - especially some of our top leaders who aren't always behaving in ways that align with the core cultural values that Robert believes in for the company. 5. Our strategy from the top is very detailed on the consumer side, but it often feels like our employer business strategy is a line item. I'd like to see everyone in senior management put as much thought into the employer strategy and take the initiative to get to know that business and its customers much better. 6. When entering new businesses or launching new products, we often don't put the strategic horsepower, resources, or dollars behind them. High expectations are set for revenue without the supporting resources or plan, creating a situation where it's difficult to deliver and teams continuously feel like their failing until the product is developed to the point where it provides true value. I'd like to see us define what will make a product and go-to-market strategy successful and get a significant portion of that done before we hold people to revenue targets.

Advice to Management

Spend more time proactively working on the culture and strategy and communicate that out often. Create a strategy that is equally consumer and employer. Listen to leaders and employees about structural issues, take a hard look at them, and try to make some changes that will make us all productive. It's time to launch products the right way. Define what is needed for success, and get that done before we launch products and assign people revenue targets.

8. Marketing Intern

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is the probably the coolest company you'll ever work for. To begin, dress is super casual: wear what you want. People like to work out half way through the day so people will wear anything from their gym clothes to cute clothes their out fits for themed days. The free, catered lunches and snacks are amazing and there are dogs chillin around the office all the time! The onsite gym/locker rooms/ fitness classes are awesome, and if that wasn't enough they have kayaks ready to take out on the bay and a cool running trail around the area. If you're feeling especially tired, you can take a break in the "quiet room" that has a massage chair, bean bags, pillows, and books. All of that combined plus they pay their interns really well! You also get your own laptop (mac or PC) and everyone here is so friendly and welcoming. Its so relaxed-- a truly amazing place to work.

Cons

Depending on where you live, the commute can kinda stink and Mill Valley is pretty boring.

Advice to Management

Your treat you employees amazingly! Thank you so much!

The Future is Exciting!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I look forward to the daily challenges my job offers. I do not do well when I am idle so the fact that things around here move quickly and I am always incredibly busy keeps me very happy. Employees here are incredibly intelligent which drives everyone to work harder and smarter. I have a really long commute which I have gotten use to and the nice thing about working here is they are very flexible with my schedule. The perks aren’t too shabby either. Free catered lunch every day, a gym on site, a wellness director/personal trainer, cute dogs to pet throughout the day and snacks in every kitchen. Did I mention my team? I absolutely love my team. I am very excited about the direction of Glassdoor and look forward to everything the future brings.

Cons

Communication can be tough sometimes. With so many new hires often times people aren't sure who to communicate things to which then causes things to slip under the radar.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency. Add spell check to the reviews page!

Loving Life at Glassdoor

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Beautiful headquarters on the water in Sausalito which includes free parking and free lunch! -Glassdoor is growing like crazy and it is very exciting to hit new milestones every quarter -The sales org has well defined career paths, aggressive but attainable quotas, uncapped commission, fun co-workers, and a supportive management team -Clients are very engaged at the Enterprise level. It is fun to work with big brands and make an impact on their business. -Our CEO was the main reason I came to Glassdoor. He is brilliant, approachable, and people would follow him anywhere -I adore my colleagues -Unlimited PTO! I have really taken advantage of that over the past few years :)

Cons

-Sausalito could be considered a downside since it is not in the city, which also makes happy hour a little challenging (I actually like the counter-commute from the city) -Normal growing pains, such as territory re-alignments, new processes, and not knowing everyone by name anymore -First 6 months for new sales rep can be a little daunting since there is a big learning curve

Advice to Management

-Continue to listen to your teams and make appropriate adjustments -The sales org could use more team outings so that we bond with new hires -Sales needs another product to sell - our clients want to buy more! -Focus on our culture as we grow -Keep up the great work!

Amazing culture and learning opportunity

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Managers are supportive and constantly working to ensure employee success; I've never been in a more encouraging environment - The learning curve is diminished through constant coaching and training sessions - Perks are great: free lunch, snacks, healthcare, bikes, beautiful office location with an easy commute to and from San Francisco, Oakland and the North Bay - Teammates are more than just coworkers, they are good friends that root each other on - Senior management is extremely transparent and open about discussing change within the company to individual employees - Work hard, play hard culture. If you are self motivated and willing to put in the work, you will do amazingly well here - No clearly defined promotion track; you can move up as you prove to be ready or move laterally to a different department

Cons

- Rapid growth means new faces every day which is overwhelming - No other work environment is quite like Glassdoor. They set the standard so high with culture that finding another company that fits the bill is impossible - Salary is lower than most tech companies in the bay area

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. As the company grows culture will be harder to maintain but you've done a great job so far with the current rapid growth.

Glassdoor Response

Jun 8, 2015 – CEO & Founder

Thanks for your review and highlighting some of the great parts of Glassdoor life!

RSS Feed </> Embed