Glassdoor

Updated February 13, 2015
4.6

Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to (in 17 reviews)

• Unlimited PTO means that you can have a real work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The office is a little crowded as the company is growing & the sales floor can get a little noisy (in 5 reviews)

• Working from home can be challenging to balance time/distractions (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

104 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

1. Featured Review

Special, special place...

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

I've worked here for some time now and I really appreciate all that Glassdoor has done for me. They have provided me with extensive training, were patient and fully supportive with my development, and have a genuine interest in my progression. The personal growth I've made in the past months is truly incredible and all the credit goes to the Management team at Glassdoor. They have given me skills to pay the bills!! And the culture.... BOMB.com

Cons

The job is very demanding with high expectations and big quota. Getting along with management is important because being a politician bodes well in the office. But realistically these are issues that you will find in any and every tech company. I hate to make Glassdoor sound perfect, but it truly is a great place to work and is a special thing to be apart of.

Who gets excited to come to work? ME!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

Glassdoor knows how to hire quality, hard-working, smart people. It is a strange feeling to get excited to come to work- something I have not experienced in the past. My teammates have become some very close friends- friends who challenge me every single day. I can't say enough about the environment and community that has been created at Glassdoor. It is a pretty amazing place to be and feel lucky every day.

Cons

As we grow rapidly, maintaining a company-wide culture is seemingly more and more difficult to maintain. Although each department has their own culture locked down, different departments rarely inter-mingle. I think it is important for Sales to interact with the Engineering for example, or for PR to interact with the CSM/TPM teams, etc- but this doesn't happen often.

Management is awesome and well respected at Glassdoor and they are cultivating some pretty amazing talent. Instead of hiring from outside, I strongly feel that management teams should be built from within- especially in Sales. It makes a HUGE difference when a manager knows the ropes, knows the products, and can truly train a team to do great things based on their personal experience.

SAE Hunters Beware! Sales Territories are horribly unbalanced

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Great company culture. There are a lot of really cool, smart people.
    - Lots of perks: catered lunch, plenty of unhealthy snacks, video games, ping pong, a fitness facility, dog friendly..
    - The company is doing very well and is growing like crazy.
    - The commute is only about 20 minutes from San Francisco and there is plenty of parking.
    - Lots of valuable sales training.
    - Beautiful location

Cons

The sales territories at the SAE level are horribly unbalanced. To put this into perspective, only two reps at the SAE tier hit their quota last year. TWO. Those two reps represented New York City and San Francisco. These are by far the best sales territories at Glassdoor, as they are not only densely populated areas, but there is a high level of competition for talent. There is also strong awareness of Glassdoor and Glassdoor employer solutions. While Glassdoor is rapidly growing, many employers, especially those in the middle of the country, have no idea who Glassdoor is, let alone how Glassdoor works with employers. Many employers simply know Glassdoor as, "that place where people can complain about our company". As a senior account executive representing these territories, that is a huge challenge. You are less of a senior account executive and more of a new market developer. Your meetings resemble more of a free webinar than a sales meeting. And when it comes time to make a proposal, good luck. Employers who just recently learned who you are and what you do are not likely to move-forward with a big dollar partnership. Most don't even have the budget for it. Get very used to hearing, "maybe next year".

Now, to be "fair and balanced" as we say, leadership has FINALLY acknowledged the fact there is unbalance with territories, and at the beginning of this year, they did make a few adjustments. For many reps however, this was too little, too late. We were held to the exact same standards as reps with NYC and San Francisco, and many reps lost their jobs as a result of not hitting their numbers. This is really unfortunate because there are a TON of good sales professionals at Glassdoor.

My advice: If you decide to accept a position as an "SAE Hunter", tell them that you want a fair and balanced territory - anything on the West Coast, or Northeast is good. Minnesota, Chicago, and Denver are also pretty good. If they try to give you exclusively accounts in the South or Mid-West, run far away. You will beat your head against the wall for as long as you can until they fire you for not hitting your numbers. I don't care how good of a sales rep you think you are, you will try hard and you will fail.

A few other things to note:

- The sales floor is incredibly loud and chaotic, especially with so many dogs in the office. Be prepared for this. Buy good headphone and use the conference rooms and phone booths. You don't want to jeopardize a good meeting because of this.

- Take your vitamins. The sales floor is like working at a hospital. Someone is always sick which means that everyone is always sick.

- The office is awesome, but it's super isolated. There isn't many places to get lunch or go to happy hour. Plus, running a quick errand is pretty much impossible.

- Make sure you go outside. Too many days I would come-in in the mornings, and not go outside until after it was dark. This is bad for your mental and physical health. Sausalito is a beautiful area, so be sure and take a walk with a co-worker so you can complain about your territory or sales manager :)

- Fix the territories! Duh. You're going to lose great sales people and get a bad reputation. Plus, no one will want to get promoted from AE.

- Be careful about politics. The majority of my sales team joined after I did, but they all received WAY better sales territories. Why? You tell me. Many reps had preexisting relationships with the sales manager. I am not saying that this is how territories are determined, but if it has something to do with it, than that is unacceptable and should be fixed immediately.

- Be careful when hiring sales managers. Many are phenomenal, while many are unqualified and have no clue to how encourage and motivate reps. I had a few really bad experiences that greatly damaged my confidence and made me question the integrity of that individual and the company. It's one thing to want to win, but belittling people and questioning their integrity and skill set is unacceptable. Fix this immediately.

- Less meetings! There are WAY to many pointless meetings. In order to meet the ridiculous expectations, there needs to be more time on the floor.

- Make sick people go home!

Glassdoor Response

Feb 5, 2015VP of Sales

Thank you for providing a very thoughtful review. The ongoing feedback we receive on Glassdoor, in 1:1 meetings or elsewhere continues to help us refine our strategy. To your point on sales reps who ... More

Great Start!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This review is after my first month at GD.

- Great people
    - Smart coworkers
    - Great learning experience
    - I have got to do meaningful contribution in my first week itself.

Cons

- Commute is long. But its not so much of a problem for me.
    - Still need to improve some aspects of continuous integration and delivery. But the plans are in place.

Keep doing what you are doing. I believe in the mission for GD but I wish that our culture always remains the same

Great start for a sales career!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture, they genuinely care about the whole team and encourage collaboration. There was also a good amount of training right after being hired and then weekly as well.

Cons

The sales organization has grown quickly in 2014, however, they still have not adjusted for a distribution of accounts with appropriate quotas to represent the amount of opportunity in each area.

Align quotas to represent the amount of awareness and business in a particular region. Quotas in the
    Bay area are easier to achieve than in say.... Kansas. A round robin of accounts may alleviate this disadvantage to newer reps.

Honeymoon is definitely NOT over!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I come to work inspired every day by the people and the product. In addition, everyone is treated like an adult...get your work done, and no one cares if you've taken time to go to the gym or run some errands. It is incredibly exciting to be a part of a team that is helping to increase transparency in the employment world.

Cons

They really need to figure out a fair distribution of territories as it's clear that some people have a much better opportunity than others to succeed. They are working on this, and I'm hopeful that it will be more evenly distributed for everyone going forward.

Continue to do pulse checks on your team, continue to hire sales development reps (who are awesome) and continue to invest in getting the glassdoor name out there.

Absolutely Amazing

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hands down the most fun place I have worked. The entire organization, from product, to engineering, sales, to C Suite are fantastic. It is exciting to be part of an organization where everyone truly believes in what we do.

Cons

Typical hyper growth startup challenges. Territories shifting, policies changing etc. However, these challenges, if you can call them that, are dwarfed by how great it is to work with such a wonderful group of people.

Keep up the transparency!

Best move I've ever made!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love being a part of an incredible community that helps individuals find jobs they love! It's a great feeling coming to work knowing you are making a difference in the world. I love the people here, I know I am working with the best in the industry. They are intelligent, supportive, and incredibly fun. We have an amazing culture and there is a huge opportunity for upward mobility. The product is awesome, it's constantly evolving to progress in a positive direction. The training program sets you up for success and our managers are dedicated to helping us improve our process and coach us in the right direction. Some of the perks include a gym on site, free snacks, lunches, and unlimited PTO! Glassdoor is a very special place, it's the best move I've ever made!

Cons

Sometimes the vegetarian lunches run out quickly.

Super excited to be a part of our organization, you're doing a great job! =)

Best Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Public Relations in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Public Relations in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is truly doing something to make the world a better place and I'm honored to be contributing to the mission of helping people everywhere find jobs and companies they love.

Aside from all the awesome perks like a gym, catered lunch, unlimited vacation and the ability to bring my dog every day, I just love being at Glassdoor. I'm consistently in awe of the good ideas, smart people and a lovable culture we have here.

One program I'm particularly impressed with is the extensive leadership training everyone goes through. It teaches us how to successfully communicate with one another. I've implemented learnings from this training in to other elements of my life and it's tremendously valuable.

Cons

The performance review process is wanting. After a performance review, regardless of whether or not it was positive, I always feel worse about my job. Compensation and titles are also a problem, based on recent new hires I know I would have a higher salary and title if I were recruited here recently or to a different team.

There are two companies within Glassdoor: the B2C side (the darling) and the B2B side (the one with a bit of a rude culture problem).

Make sure that all members of the leadership team continue to respect the Glassdoor values. I believe this is the key to continuing to cultivate the tremendous culture we have here.

SDR role is a great entry into a sales career

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here truly enjoys coming to work every day. I get to work with some of the smartest and most innovative people I have ever met. Very collaborative work environment, beautiful office and great company culture. There is an on site fitness trainer, workout classes, and gym. Generous amounts of food, free lunches, coffee & snacks every day. Lots of cute doggies around the office. People dress very casual in whatever is comfortable. Lots of fun company events and outings for people to bond. The company is fairly generous with supplies & technology for employees. It is an exciting time to join the company as we are expanding internationally & growing rapidly!

Glassdoor is an industry leader in employer branding, which is a new and developing area for the recruiting industry. Sales team is selling something that we can feel good about, since it aligns with our mission. Accomplishments are recognized by teams, by the sales department, and at a company-wide level. The CEO even comes and hugs sales reps. Managers truly listens to employees and are always working to improve processes or solve problems. There is a lot of very hands-on training, so there is tremendous room for personal growth and skill development.

The marketing team does killer campaigns to keep a healthy flow of inbound leads coming to the sales team. New SDRs get to work warm inbound leads, so you are usually cold calling people with some knowledge, interest or familiarity of Glassdoor. Tenured SDRs work outbound leads, which is great training on prospecting, getting to decision makers and navigating an organization. There are clear goals & room for growth. SDRs are promoted into Account Executive/Account Management roles. Quota is realistic and everyone is always willing to help others learn or grow. The team has clear rules of engagement that prevent overlap and promote fairness.

Cons

There is constant change as part of a growing company, which can lead to some over-communication. BCC and reply-all feature needs to be used less in email threads. Salesforce needs to be cleaned up since there is a lot of bad data. Some teams seem understaffed for the work load (such as IT and sales ops).

The commute is kind of a pain unless you live in Marin, which most people don't. Right now, the company only compensates for people who commute via bus, but most people drive independently and pay a lot for bridge tolls. Not a lot of healthy food or options for people with allergies/dietary restrictions. Feels like some people are working 24/7 although everyone has different perceptions of work/life balance.

Inbound SDRs are highly dependent on marketing campaigns, so any lulls in marketing make it harder to hit numbers. Some of the sales reps don't understand how to work with SDRs and should communicate or show more appreciation for our hard work. The office is a little crowded as the company is growing & the sales floor can get a little noisy.

Thank you for being so transparent and responsive to employees. Overall, our management inspires and excites me & i'm excited to see where you lead our company!

Glassdoor Response

Nov 13, 2014VP of Sales

Thank you so much for the review. The Sales Development team is a great source of talent for the Sales team. We are always working to make positive improvements based on your feedback. We will ... More