Glassdoor

Updated December 3, 2014
4.6

Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • Gave you the option to work from home if you were not a temp if you wanted to (in 17 reviews)

• Unlimited PTO means that you can have a real work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The office is a little crowded as the company is growing & the sales floor can get a little noisy (in 5 reviews)

• Working from home can be challenging to balance time/distractions (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

96 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Public Relations in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Public Relations in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is truly doing something to make the world a better place and I'm honored to be contributing to the mission of helping people everywhere find jobs and companies they love.

Aside from all the awesome perks like a gym, catered lunch, unlimited vacation and the ability to bring my dog every day, I just love being at Glassdoor. I'm consistently in awe of the good ideas, smart people and a lovable culture we have here.

One program I'm particularly impressed with is the extensive leadership training everyone goes through. It teaches us how to successfully communicate with one another. I've implemented learnings from this training in to other elements of my life and it's tremendously valuable.

Cons

The performance review process is wanting. After a performance review, regardless of whether or not it was positive, I always feel worse about my job. Compensation and titles are also a problem, based on recent new hires I know I would have a higher salary and title if I were recruited here recently or to a different team.

There are two companies within Glassdoor: the B2C side (the darling) and the B2B side (the one with a bit of a rude culture problem).

Make sure that all members of the leadership team continue to respect the Glassdoor values. I believe this is the key to continuing to cultivate the tremendous culture we have here.

Helping people feels great!

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced environment with smart, motivated employees. Great executive team and awesome CEO. Really feels like we are building an important service.

Cons

Start up growing pains at times. Lots of new people to onboard while trying to go after new opportunities.

Keep it up

SDR role is a great entry into a sales career

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone here truly enjoys coming to work every day. I get to work with some of the smartest and most innovative people I have ever met. Very collaborative work environment, beautiful office and great company culture. There is an on site fitness trainer, workout classes, and gym. Generous amounts of food, free lunches, coffee & snacks every day. Lots of cute doggies around the office. People dress very casual in whatever is comfortable. Lots of fun company events and outings for people to bond. The company is fairly generous with supplies & technology for employees. It is an exciting time to join the company as we are expanding internationally & growing rapidly!

Glassdoor is an industry leader in employer branding, which is a new and developing area for the recruiting industry. Sales team is selling something that we can feel good about, since it aligns with our mission. Accomplishments are recognized by teams, by the sales department, and at a company-wide level. The CEO even comes and hugs sales reps. Managers truly listens to employees and are always working to improve processes or solve problems. There is a lot of very hands-on training, so there is tremendous room for personal growth and skill development.

The marketing team does killer campaigns to keep a healthy flow of inbound leads coming to the sales team. New SDRs get to work warm inbound leads, so you are usually cold calling people with some knowledge, interest or familiarity of Glassdoor. Tenured SDRs work outbound leads, which is great training on prospecting, getting to decision makers and navigating an organization. There are clear goals & room for growth. SDRs are promoted into Account Executive/Account Management roles. Quota is realistic and everyone is always willing to help others learn or grow. The team has clear rules of engagement that prevent overlap and promote fairness.

Cons

There is constant change as part of a growing company, which can lead to some over-communication. BCC and reply-all feature needs to be used less in email threads. Salesforce needs to be cleaned up since there is a lot of bad data. Some teams seem understaffed for the work load (such as IT and sales ops).

The commute is kind of a pain unless you live in Marin, which most people don't. Right now, the company only compensates for people who commute via bus, but most people drive independently and pay a lot for bridge tolls. Not a lot of healthy food or options for people with allergies/dietary restrictions. Feels like some people are working 24/7 although everyone has different perceptions of work/life balance.

Inbound SDRs are highly dependent on marketing campaigns, so any lulls in marketing make it harder to hit numbers. Some of the sales reps don't understand how to work with SDRs and should communicate or show more appreciation for our hard work. The office is a little crowded as the company is growing & the sales floor can get a little noisy.

Thank you for being so transparent and responsive to employees. Overall, our management inspires and excites me & i'm excited to see where you lead our company!

Glassdoor Response

Nov 13, 2014VP of Sales

Thank you so much for the review. The Sales Development team is a great source of talent for the Sales team. We are always working to make positive improvements based on your feedback. We will ... More

Great community, working through growing pains

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great. Unlimited PTO means that you can have a real work-life balance. The people are generally very friendly and there is a good sense of community.

Cons

Teams tend to work in silos which leads to miscommunication and makes it hard to get simple things done. The company is growing quickly and process hasn't completely caught up.

Trust people to do their jobs.

Truly incredible company - walks the talk..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a new employee I can say I feel nothing but lucky to be a new part of this organization. Everything from the CEO to company culture and perks are nothing short of incredible. The platform exists to help people find companies and jobs that they love, that is very much the stance inside these walls. Robert has a very clear vision of how we can make positive impact and that passion is contagious across his organization.

Cons

I'll let you know when I find one. Nothing but good people and processes thus far.

Keep. It. Up.

What an amazing place to work

Current Employee - Director in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined Glassdoor recently and I am so glad I did. Everything and everyone is awesome here. Very very smart and fun people to work with. They really know how to treat their employees. Lots of perks and benefits but you are expected to be great at your work which is awesome. Oh and wait, did I say that the location rocks!

Cons

I haven't seen any so far. I guess its very open environment so if you are sensitive to noise, this might be an issue for some.

Do more of the same....you have created something special :)

Fast paced company with exponential growth!

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Representative in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Representative in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor has been doubling every year in employee size, number of clients, and revenue since I started back in 2012. It's exciting company and culture to a part of. With this amount of growth, there's a lot of opportunity to stand out as a leader if you're a top performer. This has lead to people taking advantage of great upward mobility and career growth.

Cons

If you're not self-motivated or resourceful enough to figure how to keep your head above water or get ahead, you could get lost in the shuffle. That being said, Glassdoor gives everyone more than a fair chance not only survive here, but take leaps and bounds.

Keep listening to your employees to shape your internal processes and employer products. Some the best ideas come from the field.

Not good, not terrible, change is needed

Current Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool perks like a good office location, fun employees, free lunches and nice gym equipment and lockers

Cons

They mistakes perks for culture. There's no real career path or progression and it's become much too political. The people who shout the loudest get all the praise. I also feel like we're losing focus.

Focus in the users instead of profits. Help your employees reach their personal and professional goals.

Very satisfying

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good working conditions

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment

Best Company to Work For

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love working at Glassdoor. Everyone is extremely friendly and the benefits are awesome. We get free breakfast and lunch, free health insurance, unlimited time off, paid volunteering days and more.
    It's also great to know that we are revolutionizing the way people job hunt.

Cons

We are growing so fast that there is not enough space to put everyone, the workplace is a little crowded