Glassdoor Reviews

• San Francisco, CA Area
4.7
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Incredible experience and talented teams.

Current Employee - Client Services in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- I came from a stuffy, stagnant work environment and am continuously grateful to work with such fun, intelligent, creative, open-minded, hardworking people. The people are the first and best pro to me, from my colleagues to my supervisors.
    - the catered lunches do an awesome job of accommodating different tastes and diets.
    - the view around the building is spectacular; I've always loved going out for a breather or a jog at lunch and Glassdoor really delivers on this.
    - the CEO is still accessible; he is visible at company huddles and seems kind and approachable.
    - the work we do is actually infusing good into the world by connecting passionate candidates to employers who care about the employee experience.
    - the fact that things are constantly updating and changing makes the work experience very dynamic and engaging.
    - teams get to know each other outside of work through happy hours, game nights, intramural activities, etc.

Cons

- we can't actually kayak here due to preservation issues with the water source x_x
    - it's unlikely that you'll ever interact with or learn from departments outside your own unless you're in some kind of training with them
    - if you don't live in San Francisco or Marin, your commute situation is tricky. However, there is constant brainstorming on how to address this, including vanpool possibilities; hopefully these ideas come to fruition.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing; thank you for giving your staff the freedom to shape Glassdoor; thank you for the support, communication, and transparency.

Account Manager

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have been at Glassdoor for 3 months and though I know I'm still in my honeymoon phase, I just want to say that I am LOVING working here. The culture is the best I have ever seen in any company. The sales team is strongly bonded and genuinely enjoy hanging out with each other. We support each other's challenges and cheer on each other's victories. All in all, I am looking forward to going to work every day.

Cons

The location is a bit tough- mill valley is not super accessible for everyone. There is some tension around structure of quotas and territories, which are being addressed.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and awesome. We are inspired to work for you!

I continue to fall deeper in love with Glassdoor everyday

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working here for 3 years now, and I seriously love coming into work more and more everyday. I am confident in the direction that the company is going, I love the leadership, the ability to make an impact, and the impact that our product is making in the world! It feels like we are making a huge difference in the lives of jobseekers - and that is AWESOME.

Cons

Some growing pains - communication is getting harder, with all the new people it has been tough to navigate the org at large. I feel like there are certain things that we have to rush to finish, and then nothing happens with it! Sometimes different parts of the company are working on similar problems, but not cross referencing each other to align their goals. The pay could also be better.

Advice to Management

More overarching management on the Sales/B2B side would be helpful. It would be nice to have someone streamline communication and initiatives. Also improving the way that we communicate internally, too many emails, etc. We need to work on that as we grow. Salaries could be higher, but I love love love what I do here, so it's not too much of an issue.

All and all, I feel super confident with the direction the company is headed and the talent and employees that we bring on board to help get us there! Love it!

Great people doing great things

Current Employee - Product Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment but mellow attitude. Everyone seems to be working very hard towards common goals. Strong alignment across teams that look to meet the needs of the B2B customers as well as consumer site audience.

Cons

Commute options aren't great. Start-up growing pains. Constant on-boarding of new hires. etc.

6. Who gets excited to come to work? ME!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor

Pros

Glassdoor knows how to hire quality, hard-working, smart people. It is a strange feeling to get excited to come to work- something I have not experienced in the past. My teammates have become some very close friends- friends who challenge me every single day. I can't say enough about the environment and community that has been created at Glassdoor. It is a pretty amazing place to be and feel lucky every day.

Cons

As we grow rapidly, maintaining a company-wide culture is seemingly more and more difficult to maintain. Although each department has their own culture locked down, different departments rarely inter-mingle. I think it is important for Sales to interact with the Engineering for example, or for PR to interact with the CSM/TPM teams, etc- but this doesn't happen often.

Advice to Management

Management is awesome and well respected at Glassdoor and they are cultivating some pretty amazing talent. Instead of hiring from outside, I strongly feel that management teams should be built from within- especially in Sales. It makes a HUGE difference when a manager knows the ropes, knows the products, and can truly train a team to do great things based on their personal experience.

SAE Hunters Beware! Sales Territories are horribly unbalanced

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Great company culture. There are a lot of really cool, smart people.
    - Lots of perks: catered lunch, plenty of unhealthy snacks, video games, ping pong, a fitness facility, dog friendly..
    - The company is doing very well and is growing like crazy.
    - The commute is only about 20 minutes from San Francisco and there is plenty of parking.
    - Lots of valuable sales training.
    - Beautiful location

Cons

The sales territories at the SAE level are horribly unbalanced. To put this into perspective, only two reps at the SAE tier hit their quota last year. TWO. Those two reps represented New York City and San Francisco. These are by far the best sales territories at Glassdoor, as they are not only densely populated areas, but there is a high level of competition for talent. There is also strong awareness of Glassdoor and Glassdoor employer solutions. While Glassdoor is rapidly growing, many employers, especially those in the middle of the country, have no idea who Glassdoor is, let alone how Glassdoor works with employers. Many employers simply know Glassdoor as, "that place where people can complain about our company". As a senior account executive representing these territories, that is a huge challenge. You are less of a senior account executive and more of a new market developer. Your meetings resemble more of a free webinar than a sales meeting. And when it comes time to make a proposal, good luck. Employers who just recently learned who you are and what you do are not likely to move-forward with a big dollar partnership. Most don't even have the budget for it. Get very used to hearing, "maybe next year".

Now, to be "fair and balanced" as we say, leadership has FINALLY acknowledged the fact there is unbalance with territories, and at the beginning of this year, they did make a few adjustments. For many reps however, this was too little, too late. We were held to the exact same standards as reps with NYC and San Francisco, and many reps lost their jobs as a result of not hitting their numbers. This is really unfortunate because there are a TON of good sales professionals at Glassdoor.

My advice: If you decide to accept a position as an "SAE Hunter", tell them that you want a fair and balanced territory - anything on the West Coast, or Northeast is good. Minnesota, Chicago, and Denver are also pretty good. If they try to give you exclusively accounts in the South or Mid-West, run far away. You will beat your head against the wall for as long as you can until they fire you for not hitting your numbers. I don't care how good of a sales rep you think you are, you will try hard and you will fail.

A few other things to note:

- The sales floor is incredibly loud and chaotic, especially with so many dogs in the office. Be prepared for this. Buy good headphone and use the conference rooms and phone booths. You don't want to jeopardize a good meeting because of this.

- Take your vitamins. The sales floor is like working at a hospital. Someone is always sick which means that everyone is always sick.

- The office is awesome, but it's super isolated. There isn't many places to get lunch or go to happy hour. Plus, running a quick errand is pretty much impossible.

- Make sure you go outside. Too many days I would come-in in the mornings, and not go outside until after it was dark. This is bad for your mental and physical health. Sausalito is a beautiful area, so be sure and take a walk with a co-worker so you can complain about your territory or sales manager :)

Advice to Management

- Fix the territories! Duh. You're going to lose great sales people and get a bad reputation. Plus, no one will want to get promoted from AE.

- Be careful about politics. The majority of my sales team joined after I did, but they all received WAY better sales territories. Why? You tell me. Many reps had preexisting relationships with the sales manager. I am not saying that this is how territories are determined, but if it has something to do with it, than that is unacceptable and should be fixed immediately.

- Be careful when hiring sales managers. Many are phenomenal, while many are unqualified and have no clue to how encourage and motivate reps. I had a few really bad experiences that greatly damaged my confidence and made me question the integrity of that individual and the company. It's one thing to want to win, but belittling people and questioning their integrity and skill set is unacceptable. Fix this immediately.

- Less meetings! There are WAY to many pointless meetings. In order to meet the ridiculous expectations, there needs to be more time on the floor.

- Make sick people go home!

Glassdoor Response

Feb 5, 2015VP of Sales

Thank you for providing a very thoughtful review. The ongoing feedback we receive on Glassdoor, in 1:1 meetings or elsewhere continues to help us refine our strategy. To your point on sales reps who ... More

Great Start!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This review is after my first month at GD.

- Great people
    - Smart coworkers
    - Great learning experience
    - I have got to do meaningful contribution in my first week itself.

Cons

- Commute is long. But its not so much of a problem for me.
    - Still need to improve some aspects of continuous integration and delivery. But the plans are in place.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I believe in the mission for GD but I wish that our culture always remains the same

Special, special place...

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

I've worked here for some time now and I really appreciate all that Glassdoor has done for me. They have provided me with extensive training, were patient and fully supportive with my development, and have a genuine interest in my progression. The personal growth I've made in the past months is truly incredible and all the credit goes to the Management team at Glassdoor. They have given me skills to pay the bills!! And the culture.... BOMB.com

Cons

The job is very demanding with high expectations and big quota. Getting along with management is important because being a politician bodes well in the office. But realistically these are issues that you will find in any and every tech company. I hate to make Glassdoor sound perfect, but it truly is a great place to work and is a special thing to be apart of.

Great start for a sales career!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture, they genuinely care about the whole team and encourage collaboration. There was also a good amount of training right after being hired and then weekly as well.

Cons

The sales organization has grown quickly in 2014, however, they still have not adjusted for a distribution of accounts with appropriate quotas to represent the amount of opportunity in each area.

Advice to Management

Align quotas to represent the amount of awareness and business in a particular region. Quotas in the
    Bay area are easier to achieve than in say.... Kansas. A round robin of accounts may alleviate this disadvantage to newer reps.

Honeymoon is definitely NOT over!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I come to work inspired every day by the people and the product. In addition, everyone is treated like an adult...get your work done, and no one cares if you've taken time to go to the gym or run some errands. It is incredibly exciting to be a part of a team that is helping to increase transparency in the employment world.

Cons

They really need to figure out a fair distribution of territories as it's clear that some people have a much better opportunity than others to succeed. They are working on this, and I'm hopeful that it will be more evenly distributed for everyone going forward.

Advice to Management

Continue to do pulse checks on your team, continue to hire sales development reps (who are awesome) and continue to invest in getting the glassdoor name out there.