Glassdoor Reviews

Sales Development Representative

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun and informal work environment. Work hard play hard. Very collaborative environment. Everyone always willing to help out.

Cons

On boarding/training process somewhat messy and informal. Kinda throw you into deep in at first which has pros and cons.

Advice to Management

Improve on boarding/trainging process for SDR's. Other than that keep up the awesome work!

Glassdoor Response

Apr 26, 2015Manager, Sales Development

Thank you for your review. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoy the collaborative environment. We try hard to create a place where we help make each other better.

I hear you on the training. As
    ... More

I continue to fall deeper in love with Glassdoor everyday

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working here for 3 years now, and I seriously love coming into work more and more everyday. I am confident in the direction that the company is going, I love the leadership, the ability to make an impact, and the impact that our product is making in the world! It feels like we are making a huge difference in the lives of jobseekers - and that is AWESOME.

Cons

Some growing pains - communication is getting harder, with all the new people it has been tough to navigate the org at large. I feel like there are certain things that we have to rush to finish, and then nothing happens with it! Sometimes different parts of the company are working on similar problems, but not cross referencing each other to align their goals. The pay could also be better.

Advice to Management

More overarching management on the Sales/B2B side would be helpful. It would be nice to have someone streamline communication and initiatives. Also improving the way that we communicate internally, too many emails, etc. We need to work on that as we grow. Salaries could be higher, but I love love love what I do here, so it's not too much of an issue.

All and all, I feel super confident with the direction the company is headed and the talent and employees that we bring on board to help get us there! Love it!

SAE Hunters Beware! Sales Territories are horribly unbalanced

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great company culture. There are a lot of really cool, smart people.
    - Lots of perks: catered lunch, plenty of unhealthy snacks, video games, ping pong, a fitness facility, dog friendly..
    - The company is doing very well and is growing like crazy.
    - The commute is only about 20 minutes from San Francisco and there is plenty of parking.
    - Lots of valuable sales training.
    - Beautiful location

Cons

The sales territories at the SAE level are horribly unbalanced. To put this into perspective, only two reps at the SAE tier hit their quota last year. TWO. Those two reps represented New York City and San Francisco. These are by far the best sales territories at Glassdoor, as they are not only densely populated areas, but there is a high level of competition for talent. There is also strong awareness of Glassdoor and Glassdoor employer solutions. While Glassdoor is rapidly growing, many employers, especially those in the middle of the country, have no idea who Glassdoor is, let alone how Glassdoor works with employers. Many employers simply know Glassdoor as, "that place where people can complain about our company". As a senior account executive representing these territories, that is a huge challenge. You are less of a senior account executive and more of a new market developer. Your meetings resemble more of a free webinar than a sales meeting. And when it comes time to make a proposal, good luck. Employers who just recently learned who you are and what you do are not likely to move-forward with a big dollar partnership. Most don't even have the budget for it. Get very used to hearing, "maybe next year".

Now, to be "fair and balanced" as we say, leadership has FINALLY acknowledged the fact there is unbalance with territories, and at the beginning of this year, they did make a few adjustments. For many reps however, this was too little, too late. We were held to the exact same standards as reps with NYC and San Francisco, and many reps lost their jobs as a result of not hitting their numbers. This is really unfortunate because there are a TON of good sales professionals at Glassdoor.

My advice: If you decide to accept a position as an "SAE Hunter", tell them that you want a fair and balanced territory - anything on the West Coast, or Northeast is good. Minnesota, Chicago, and Denver are also pretty good. If they try to give you exclusively accounts in the South or Mid-West, run far away. You will beat your head against the wall for as long as you can until they fire you for not hitting your numbers. I don't care how good of a sales rep you think you are, you will try hard and you will fail.

A few other things to note:

- The sales floor is incredibly loud and chaotic, especially with so many dogs in the office. Be prepared for this. Buy good headphone and use the conference rooms and phone booths. You don't want to jeopardize a good meeting because of this.

- Take your vitamins. The sales floor is like working at a hospital. Someone is always sick which means that everyone is always sick.

- The office is awesome, but it's super isolated. There isn't many places to get lunch or go to happy hour. Plus, running a quick errand is pretty much impossible.

- Make sure you go outside. Too many days I would come-in in the mornings, and not go outside until after it was dark. This is bad for your mental and physical health. Sausalito is a beautiful area, so be sure and take a walk with a co-worker so you can complain about your territory or sales manager :)

Advice to Management

- Fix the territories! Duh. You're going to lose great sales people and get a bad reputation. Plus, no one will want to get promoted from AE.

- Be careful about politics. The majority of my sales team joined after I did, but they all received WAY better sales territories. Why? You tell me. Many reps had preexisting relationships with the sales manager. I am not saying that this is how territories are determined, but if it has something to do with it, than that is unacceptable and should be fixed immediately.

- Be careful when hiring sales managers. Many are phenomenal, while many are unqualified and have no clue to how encourage and motivate reps. I had a few really bad experiences that greatly damaged my confidence and made me question the integrity of that individual and the company. It's one thing to want to win, but belittling people and questioning their integrity and skill set is unacceptable. Fix this immediately.

- Less meetings! There are WAY to many pointless meetings. In order to meet the ridiculous expectations, there needs to be more time on the floor.

- Make sick people go home!

Glassdoor Response

Feb 5, 2015VP of Sales

Thank you for providing a very thoughtful review. The ongoing feedback we receive on Glassdoor, in 1:1 meetings or elsewhere continues to help us refine our strategy. To your point on sales reps who ... More

Great start for a sales career!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture, they genuinely care about the whole team and encourage collaboration. There was also a good amount of training right after being hired and then weekly as well.

Cons

The sales organization has grown quickly in 2014, however, they still have not adjusted for a distribution of accounts with appropriate quotas to represent the amount of opportunity in each area.

Advice to Management

Align quotas to represent the amount of awareness and business in a particular region. Quotas in the
    Bay area are easier to achieve than in say.... Kansas. A round robin of accounts may alleviate this disadvantage to newer reps.

Best Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Public Relations in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Public Relations in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is truly doing something to make the world a better place and I'm honored to be contributing to the mission of helping people everywhere find jobs and companies they love.

Aside from all the awesome perks like a gym, catered lunch, unlimited vacation and the ability to bring my dog every day, I just love being at Glassdoor. I'm consistently in awe of the good ideas, smart people and a lovable culture we have here.

One program I'm particularly impressed with is the extensive leadership training everyone goes through. It teaches us how to successfully communicate with one another. I've implemented learnings from this training in to other elements of my life and it's tremendously valuable.

Cons

The performance review process is wanting. After a performance review, regardless of whether or not it was positive, I always feel worse about my job. Compensation and titles are also a problem, based on recent new hires I know I would have a higher salary and title if I were recruited here recently or to a different team.

There are two companies within Glassdoor: the B2C side (the darling) and the B2B side (the one with a bit of a rude culture problem).

Advice to Management

Make sure that all members of the leadership team continue to respect the Glassdoor values. I believe this is the key to continuing to cultivate the tremendous culture we have here.

Truly incredible company - walks the talk..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a new employee I can say I feel nothing but lucky to be a new part of this organization. Everything from the CEO to company culture and perks are nothing short of incredible. The platform exists to help people find companies and jobs that they love, that is very much the stance inside these walls. Robert has a very clear vision of how we can make positive impact and that passion is contagious across his organization.

Cons

I'll let you know when I find one. Nothing but good people and processes thus far.

Advice to Management

Keep. It. Up.

What an amazing place to work

Current Employee - Director in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Glassdoor recently and I am so glad I did. Everything and everyone is awesome here. Very very smart and fun people to work with. They really know how to treat their employees. Lots of perks and benefits but you are expected to be great at your work which is awesome. Oh and wait, did I say that the location rocks!

Cons

I haven't seen any so far. I guess its very open environment so if you are sensitive to noise, this might be an issue for some.

Advice to Management

Do more of the same....you have created something special :)

9. Fast paced company with exponential growth!

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Representative in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Representative in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor has been doubling every year in employee size, number of clients, and revenue since I started back in 2012. It's exciting company and culture to a part of. With this amount of growth, there's a lot of opportunity to stand out as a leader if you're a top performer. This has lead to people taking advantage of great upward mobility and career growth.

Cons

If you're not self-motivated or resourceful enough to figure how to keep your head above water or get ahead, you could get lost in the shuffle. That being said, Glassdoor gives everyone more than a fair chance not only survive here, but take leaps and bounds.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees to shape your internal processes and employer products. Some the best ideas come from the field.

10. Very satisfying

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good working conditions

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment

right place at the right time.... the 5 stars are aligned

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

killer office in one of the most beautiful locations in the world (yes, if you live in the city, you have to drive over one of the 7 modern wonders of the world on your commute. Is that so bad for free lunch, gym, hiking trails, great people, great culture, and watching sea planes land while you work?).
    Meritocracy. Put in good, hard, smart work and you will be rewarded. Sales leadership has worked toward creating opportunities for career growth & financial success across all levels. Promotions happen often & there is a constant focus on learning and development. Constant collaboration among reps is a beautiful thing.
    Our mission is clear and we eat our own cooking. Everyone is focused on making Glassdoor the best place to help employers find the best talent and job seekers find jobs they love -- and we love where we work too.

Cons

Comp plans aren't always clear. With our growth plan, it can feel like there are hiring quotas. We're attracting amazing talent, but it seems some decisions are made in haste.
    Be ready for and open to change - all the time.
    Dogs in the office and an open floor plan can make for a crazy environment. A steep investment in noise canceling headphones is needed to maintain sanity on the sales floor (some of the dogs are awfully cute though).
    It would be nice to see some more promotions & females in management/leadership.

Advice to Management

Lots of runway ahead. Living and breathing Glassdoor values will be crucial to maintaining culture through rapid growth. Be transparent, stay ethical and keep hiring incredibly talented people without egos. It might be time to think about an east coast office.