GlaxoSmithKline

GlaxoSmithKline Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

GlaxoSmithKline CEO Andrew Witty

Andrew Witty

Pros
  • The benefit package is pretty good and the work/life balance is pretty reasonable for pharma(in 39 reviews)

• Friendly environment good pay and benefits(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • like any pharma, very high pressure; tough to establish work-life balance(in 15 reviews)

• Lack of credibility of senior management(in 12 reviews)

Great company to work for

Pros-emphasis on the patient
    -big sized company
    -lots of financial leeway

Cons-lots of emphasis placed on personal development, can be hard to meet goals
    -harder to move up in company

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team to work with, no competition between each other.

ConsLots of change and uncertainty.

Great to poor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary
    Great in first 10 years

ConsMerger with Glaxo, company run by lawyers

Advice to Senior ManagementListen

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once great now very average

Director (Former Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsGood salary, team working environment, good place to learn but no longer a career maker.

ConsOpen "kitchen table" work station that company adopted in 2011 is a nightmare to work in. Very difficult to concentrate and you spend your evenings doing the quality work. Management is disengaged and only goes through the motions. Laid off (retired) after 30+ yrs and didn't get so much as a good-bye handshake.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake annual performance planning seriously. A lot of time goes into performance planning and review by the employees but management rarely engages and follows up on plans and development.

Typical for a large global pharmaceutical company.

Validation Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe advantage of working for a large pharmaceutical are the broad opportunities available to employees for advancing your career. The benefits are good for employees. The salary and bonus is competitive with the best incentives for the lower salary grades. GSK is trying to create an image of a good corporate citizen in the aftermath of several well known regulatory compliance issues. And if you love open office concepts, then there's a place for you at GSK.

ConsAs with any large pharma, creating a strong corporate culture is talked about, but not organically cultivated. Having worked at smaller biotech companies, it is apparent that although they want to create a culture it is difficult for a large globally disconnected corporation to truly have a common culture. Innovation and thinking outside the box are trumped by bureaucracy and following the herd. My personal experience with HR is that they toe the company line and are not truly ambassadors for employees. Open office concept is not as productive as management would have you believe.

Great company to work for if you are interested in a large global company.

IT Director (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsUnlimited number of opportunities to advance career starting with university intern and graduate placement programs. Company provides avenues for learning through various learning mechanisms. Global presence also gives opportunity to learn about different cultures, working in a global environment and understanding complexity of a global business. Mergers, acquisitions and divestitures also result in many opportunities within the company.

ConsMany of the core shared services, Finance, HR, IT have been pressured to reduce costs/complexity, etc resulting in many layoffs and moving services outside of GSK. With continued change, there is always opportunity!

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a organizational strategy and stick with it/see it through. Too many re-organizations in short period of time in IT shared services resulting in continuous churn of staff, management reporting and reduces overall effectiveness of staff.

Great people...great compamy

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsWonderful smart people to work with, good benefits and bonus opportunities. Lots of development opportunities, project work and empowerment. Dynamic and personable CEO, Andrew Witty.

Consconstant reorganizations and restructures, promotional opportunites have become fewer

Advice to Senior Managementincrease annual salary budget, look hard at increasing resourcing in some areas, like HR and repersonalize HR for employees

Great culture!

Analyst (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsCulture is great! Values of company are ones that you can really feel good about!

ConsTakes way too long to get promoted and jobs are competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind better ways to reward and promote your people!

Going down year after year since 2007

Manager (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsReasonably stable environment, good pay, and descent (used to be excellent) benefits

ConsPoor leadership, disconnect between senior and middle-range management, poor treatment of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that employees are the main asset, not the pipeline.

keeping contract people, and hire on contract or you can get full time if you know somebody....

Operator (Former Employee) Ontario, CA

ProsFriendly environment good pay and benefits

ConsToo many politics involved - it is not what you know but who you know

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everybody same at least try

Worked for GlaxoSmithKline? Contribute to the Community!