GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals

Updated January 30, 2015
3.4

GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals CEO Andrew Witty
Andrew Witty

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance has really improved with working from home (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting and meaningful work (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Not incentivized based on sales but a convoluted system of test taking and manager reviews (in 3 reviews)

• No such thing as work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Highly ethical company with a fast pace environment.

Current Employee - Director of Investigations Americas in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals

Pros

GSK respects all it employees, offers flexible working hours and above average wages and benefits.

Cons

Large corporation, changes move slowly.

Need better collaboration between various HQ departments.

I have enjoyed many wonderful opportunities in various areas of the business.

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The ability to have had many different types of opportunities and jobs which have been personally and professionally rewarding. I have also had the opportunity to work for some very talented people along the way.

Cons

Instability. Strategy no longer clear and changes often, even weekly.

I worked at GSK for over 30 years, and it was a wonderful company to work for.

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Always room for growth within the company.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about this company.

Great employees!

Current Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Work environment is flexible and good compensation/benefits. Very talented and dedicated employees. I've seen the employees working every day with strength and commitment.

Cons

Tough to establish work-life balance; no job stability feeling, but does this exist anywhere?

Value employees and be transparent with them.

Twenty years of good and bad at GSK.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Omaha, NE

Pros

Above average salary for long term reps. Good benefits, vacation, and time off policies. Quality people in the field.

Cons

Leadership lacks courage and vision. No incentives or even acknowledgement for performance.

Trust your field sales personnel. Investigate methods of incentivizing performance either individually or as a District/Region. Have the courage to say "No" to the wrong choices.

Great principle driven and patient focus!

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Middle and Top management is very knowledgeable and cooperative. Sales representatives are very competent and focus on therapeutic education to patients. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Stategic and supporting groups are slow and in some cases very inefficient due to poor resource planning. Some of these groups are taking important decisions with very limited or erroneous information.

To look what competitors are doing to simplify their operating model in terms of processes. Invest in better IT technology and standardized.

Vaccine Telesales

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Protecting patients from deadly disease

Cons

there is many. check advice to management

Do something to make this a better department or turnover will remain extremely high. There is no trust given to employees and we are watched like hawks (even including how many times we go to the bathroom). There are too many managers for one department. The managers do not follow GSK values of Transparency, Respect or Integrity. Learn better ways to communicate with your employees. You should realize everything your hard working employees do for the business and provide raises to those who hit the metrics you set.

District Sales Manager

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

A fair amount of developmental programs, strong pipeline

Cons

Patient First, Incentive compensation, questionable leadership

A visionary company that is great to work for.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company values were solid, and the company responded to feedback from the field, which can be a very important quality in a company. I really had top notch managers who cared about their reps and treated them like the professionals they were. This then inspired myself and others to rise to put forth their very best. I learned a lot about leadership with my managers.

Cons

There were a lot of changes that occurred very quickly, and the impact to the representatives was that the changes were occurring at too fast a pace. Remarkably the company responded to feedback and worked to make the situation better.

Continue to listen to the field and make adjustments as necessary. All the representatives I worked with were a hard working, genuine group of people, who cared about their customers, coworkers, and the company. Trust the reps input and incorporate it into company strategies.

GSK is a highly professional organization that seeks employee empowerment and engagement through education & career path

Former Employee - Audit Manager, R&D Internal Audit in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Audit Manager, R&D Internal Audit in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable expectations of staff, great working hours and fellow staff are great to work with.

Cons

With the company tightening its belt over the past few years, many of the opportunities for upward career mobility have been eliminated. This makes competition for the available positions extremely difficult and forces staff to remain static in their positions for many years, make lateral moves or leave the company for better opportunities commensurate with their skill sets and talents.

None at this time.