GlaxoSmithKline R & D Reviews

55 reviews filtered by
3.4
GlaxoSmithKline R & D CEO Andrew Witty
Andrew Witty

Pros
  • There is also a promotion of a healthy work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Pay and benefits comparable to others within the sector (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • R&D is a very heavily regulated environment so there are lots of hoops to jump through - not GSK's fault but it is a pain (in 5 reviews)

• tough to get into senior management (in 3 reviews)

1. Lovely company to work for

Former Employee - Director in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Director in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline R & D

Pros

Good work life balance, good benefits, good people

Cons

Lots of outsourcing, unclear direction of company

Complex environment

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline R & D

Pros

Competitive industry benefits, diverse portfolio, good people to work with, high performers can be well rewarded, recent success with late stage portfolio

Cons

Senior management making questionable decisions, confusion in matrix environment and chaotic, leadership in parts of R & D needs much more diversity of thought and open debate, no evidence of accountability for many bad decisions, some poor behaviors of a few have caused a lot of reputation and financial damage, finance and HR create a lot of bureaucracy. Senior management needs a shakeup! Everyone is nervous about more job cuts that Have been recurrent for years

Empower the Directors and others who actually are closest to the work, listen and act on suggestions, you hired good people but you act like you don't trust them. Reward the effective departments and their leaders and apply their best practices to the non progressive departments. You lost a lot of talent closing RTP

3. Senior Scientific Investigator, perspective of a scientist.

Former Employee - Senior Scientific Investigator in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientific Investigator in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline R & D full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay. Excellent benefits. Great to work in lab if you get the chance. Many good coworkers to collaborate with. EXCELLENT associates-very talented and independent. Working with them is more of a collaboration than a supervisor-supervisee relationship. In fact, they are more fun and worthwhile to interact with than most peers.

Cons

Management is completely untrained, both with respect to running a research program and with respect to working with others. People are promoted into management positions based on ambition rather than ability. The more of a steamroller you are the better.
    There is no training available to scientists with respect to managing and interacting with people (and we are scientists-'nuf said), and to rely on management that also has no people skills is a mistake. I was having trouble with a report once and my "pep talk" meeting with her was absolutely disastrous. I handled it very poorly, and could have used a little coaching. Additionally, managers are completely unable to run meetings, allowing some people to turn a 5 minute update into a 30 minute dissertation. That turns a 1 hour meeting into a 2 1/2 hour waste of an afternoon.
    I also wonder if there isn't a little seniority discrimination or "problem dumping" going on. During one of our department downsizings, I was chosen to be one of people who needed to find another position within the company. I was having some serious personal problems at the time, and was also one of the highest paid non-managers. In the nine years I had spent in that department, I had received mostly excellent reviews and several awards (including a very rarely given gold award). Admittedly I was struggling at the time I was selected to go elsewhere, but rather than try to help me and guide me through my troubles, the director chose to dump me instead. So honestly I can only suspect that the dumping came from wanting to make me someone else's problem or to get rid of one of the highest paid scientists.

Get your management-track people (especially, but maybe include all people who supervise) some training on how to coach and interact with reports. Run meetings more efficiently, and have your attendees walk away knowing exactly what the forward plan is.

5. GSK going through a lot of change

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline R & D

Pros

Great company and people to work for, opportunities to expand skills and wealth of experience.

Cons

GSK going through a lot of change, need to reduce complexity in simple processes, senior management can be viewed as making rash decisions based on little information and then a chain reaction from there.

Keep talent and loyalty - take the time to rebuild smart. Losing key talent and passion is hard to recover from.

6. Supervisor, Project Manager

Current Employee - Clinical Project Manager in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical Project Manager in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline R & D full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

benefit, team members, training in time

Cons

overtime often occurs due to compounds deliverables

7. Challenging environment

Current Employee - Clinical Scientist in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical Scientist in Phila, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline R & D full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to move around the company

Cons

Constant changes with lack of clarity. Good intentions with bad execution

Address the infrastructure to ensure continued delivery.

Nice to play to work

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline R & D as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible on WFH and working hours for US based employees since they face UK. Lots of early mornings on conference calls.

Lots of training opportunities via CBT - in fact a lot of training is required.

Cons

Too many contractors - GSK is loathe to convert contractors to fulltime employees - they have an internal 2 year rule on contractors that is subverted daily.

R&D is a very heavily regulated environment so there are lots of hoops to jump through - not GSK's fault but it is a pain.

Building Five at RTP is "open seating" - just tables with docking stations. It's supposed to encourage mixing and creativity but everybody sits in the same seats everyday anyway. Just give people a desk so they can put pictures of their kids on their desk.

Convert some folks

9. GSK execs try

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline R & D full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is a lot of effort on the part of senior leaders to create an environment at GSK conducive to innovation, productivity, and a good work experience. There is a large value placed on professionalism and teamwork.

Cons

A minority of senior leaders focus their energy on politics and get in the way of GSK being all that it can be. Initiatives rarely are ended; they just fade away, wasting time an effort on the part of employees to continue to engage until they realize nothing is happening.

Don't tolerate the trouble-makers amongst you and certainly don't reward bad behavior.

PRAY IF YOUR A SENIOR, 10 years of dedicated service equals being laid off to save money on a younger less experienced..

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline R & D

Pros

Money...As long as you forget your own personal ethics you'll be OK.

Cons

Understand that this company pay and values sales first and only. Research for safety is a low priority.
    Unethical company with no morals other than making money!
    No work life balance NONE. Be prepared to lose the very people you value the most--your family!
    ADVISE: Value your laptop, because it becomes a limb on your body. Value your company car because you'll spend more time in it than with your family. Quit at 5 years if your smart, unless of course, you work in sales, and your willing to bet your looks last. If you are a woman get some plastic surgery, and find the tight shirt, and the very shortest skirts...oh, don't forget the 3" heels.

Value your talent!
    Respect R+D staff just as much as you do your sales staff.
    Stop letting low quality research sites do your trials (in exchange for back door prescribing). Bad research in, bad quality out...

11. Very happy career in R&D

Current Employee - Investigator in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Investigator in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline R & D full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, good benefits and culture. Depending on the manager there is a good emphasis on training and broadening your skill base. There are opportunities for growth.

Cons

Poor lab facilities in many areas with aging equipment. Flexible work at home options and vacation policy.

Continue the engagement with staff and diversifying the risk to the portfolio. Would be good if some of the UK benefits such as share reward and share save could come to the US.