GlaxoSmithKline R & D Reviews

Reset
3.3
GlaxoSmithKline R & D CEO Andrew Witty
Andrew Witty

Pros
  • There is also a promotion of a healthy work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits for full time permanent staff (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • R&D is a very heavily regulated environment so there are lots of hoops to jump through - not GSK's fault but it is a pain (in 5 reviews)

• tough to get into senior management (in 3 reviews)

1. investigator

Current Employee - Investigator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Investigator in Boston, MA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline R & D full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

big pharm, difficult to get promotion

Cons

, lower salary compare to other big pharm

2. Unsettled & Turmoil

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline R & D full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and great benefits. Typically competent and well-trained staff. Rewarding to work for a company that gets results and gets products on the market.

Cons

Too many reorganizations. Unsettled working environment. Constantly look over your shoulder wondering if the next reorg will cut your job. Hard to advance - the requirements for promotion keep changing.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more. You are sending a clear message to staff that we are not valued and are nothing more than a liability rather than an asset. The staff 'on the ground' are the ones with the skills and knowledge to discover and develop the drugs, yet you discard us left and right.

3. GSK R&D

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline R & D full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits; general empowerment

Cons

Big Pharma bureaucracy; UK centric; China obsessed; current layoff climate

5. Great Science and Opportunity, but with a changing company

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline R & D full-time

Pros

Great science opportunities, you can make a difference, global scale provides many opportunities, good co-workers,

Cons

advancement can be slow, company did not continue with R&D activities in a strong site- RTP, NC.. Open office work environment could be improved.

Advice to Management

Need to focus on growth areas, should invest more and not less in the rapidly growing Oncology field. Focus on rewarding the best science not those who are most connected to the management.

6. Challenging and yet extremely rewarding

Current Employee - Clinical Supplies Project Manager in Boyertown, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical Supplies Project Manager in Boyertown, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline R & D (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very epxerienced & knowledgeable workforce.

Cons

Work 35 hour workweek which lowers overall salary potential.

Complex environment

Pros

Competitive industry benefits, diverse portfolio, good people to work with, high performers can be well rewarded, recent success with late stage portfolio

Cons

Senior management making questionable decisions, confusion in matrix environment and chaotic, leadership in parts of R & D needs much more diversity of thought and open debate, no evidence of accountability for many bad decisions, some poor behaviors of a few have caused a lot of reputation and financial damage, finance and HR create a lot of bureaucracy. Senior management needs a shakeup! Everyone is nervous about more job cuts that Have been recurrent for years

Advice to Management

Empower the Directors and others who actually are closest to the work, listen and act on suggestions, you hired good people but you act like you don't trust them. Reward the effective departments and their leaders and apply their best practices to the non progressive departments. You lost a lot of talent closing RTP

8. Senior Scientific Investigator, perspective of a scientist.

Former Employee - Senior Scientific Investigator in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientific Investigator in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline R & D full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay. Excellent benefits. Great to work in lab if you get the chance. Many good coworkers to collaborate with. EXCELLENT associates-very talented and independent. Working with them is more of a collaboration than a supervisor-supervisee relationship. In fact, they are more fun and worthwhile to interact with than most peers.

Cons

Management is completely untrained, both with respect to running a research program and with respect to working with others. People are promoted into management positions based on ambition rather than ability. The more of a steamroller you are the better. There is no training available to scientists with respect to managing and interacting with people (and we are scientists-'nuf said), and to rely on management that also has no people skills is a mistake. I was having trouble with a report once and my "pep talk" meeting with her was absolutely disastrous. I handled it very poorly, and could have used a little coaching. Additionally, managers are completely unable to run meetings, allowing some people to turn a 5 minute update into a 30 minute dissertation. That turns a 1 hour meeting into a 2 1/2 hour waste of an afternoon. I also wonder if there isn't a little seniority discrimination or "problem dumping" going on. During one of our department downsizings, I was chosen to be one of people who needed to find another position within the company. I was having some serious personal problems at the time, and was also one of the highest paid non-managers. In the nine years I had spent in that department, I had received mostly excellent reviews and several awards (including a very rarely given gold award). Admittedly I was struggling at the time I was selected to go elsewhere, but rather than try to help me and guide me through my troubles, the director chose to dump me instead. So honestly I can only suspect that the dumping came from wanting to make me someone else's problem or to get rid of one of the highest paid scientists.

Advice to Management

Get your management-track people (especially, but maybe include all people who supervise) some training on how to coach and interact with reports. Run meetings more efficiently, and have your attendees walk away knowing exactly what the forward plan is.

9. Lovely company to work for

Former Employee - Director in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Director in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Good work life balance, good benefits, good people

Cons

Lots of outsourcing, unclear direction of company

10. GSK going through a lot of change

Pros

Great company and people to work for, opportunities to expand skills and wealth of experience.

Cons

GSK going through a lot of change, need to reduce complexity in simple processes, senior management can be viewed as making rash decisions based on little information and then a chain reaction from there.

Advice to Management

Keep talent and loyalty - take the time to rebuild smart. Losing key talent and passion is hard to recover from.

11. Supervisor, Project Manager

Current Employee - Clinical Project Manager in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical Project Manager in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline R & D full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefit, team members, training in time

Cons

overtime often occurs due to compounds deliverables

RSS Feed </> Embed