GlaxoSmithKline

GlaxoSmithKline Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

GlaxoSmithKline CEO Andrew Witty

Andrew Witty

Pros:
  • "If you want to have work / life balance, you can do it here"
    in 35 reviews
  • "The pay and benefits are very good, with medical and prescription drug insurance being excellent"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "like any pharma, very high pressure; tough to establish work-life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Lack of credibility of senior management"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I love working here

Director (Current Employee)
Cary, NC

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat healthcare plan, fun team-building outings, great pay, good amount of paid vacation days, and a wonderful bonus every year.

ConsSometimes coworkers gossip, spread rumors, etc. but that is expected in every workplace.

student intern

Scientist Student Intern (Current Employee)
Phillipsburg, NJ

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood working environment. Nice people, great benefits and a comfortable work environment awesome walking path and a great gym

Consconstant change in the last 10 year cause some loss of focus.. reduction without consideration of the impact that it may have

Great Company

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline as an intern

ProsI enjoyed working at GSK for over 2 years. There were many good things about the company but the site where I was located had multiple internal needs that needed addressing. The benefits were top of the line and std and ltd were the best I've ever seen. They also provided you with training opportunities that helped develop you into a better associate.

ConsSome things that could have changed were people in key leadership/managerial roles. I will leave it at that.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advice I would share with management is to hire based on personality and skill level not just the experience that is stated on the resume. Many people are capable of being placed in key positions if only afforded the opportunity.

Great place to work.

Drug Regulatory Affairs (Current Employee)

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 8 years

ProsExcellent salary, work environment, benefits. Strong emphasis on accountability and practicing corporate behaviours. Top notch training programs and a genuine concern for resilience and employee health. Hugh diverse employee base of highly qualified and intelligent people. Work life balance is important and some managers allow you to work from home on a regular basis with an agreement set up ahead of time.

ConsSo big that it's hard to move up or acquire another job in house. You can apply but don't expect to be interviewed or notified why you are not interviewed or qualified. Hard to find needed information for tasks at hand due to constant changing of systems and processes. Highly regulated with regard to keeping "between the lines" which, when systems or processes change, group transistion hiccups often occur. Polictics within upper management occurs and the bulk of your department is at another site, there are no opportunities for growth. Promotions are rare for everyone but do occur for the selected few that are high achievers and given more opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue supporting the understanding that we live in a virtual world and push for management to allow growth for all people in departments. Personally have been a high achiever on my yearly reviews but have been unable to move up due to not being at the location of the majority of my department. 10 years and no promotions.

every day new challenges

Manufacturing and Building Maint Mechanic (Former Employee)
Clifton, NJ

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits, was good bonuses lots of learning of new things, Management bring in new people with new ideas . I worked in a department with hard work some time, but it help your working career

ConsThe company took too long to get to the root of some of the problems .We had some people not wanting to train new people , because bonuses was given on knowledge ratings

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your people experience wisely, get way from if you don't know any one in the company, you can't get the job. stop being crazy

Pathetic joke masquerading as a real company

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt's a paycheck - nothing more. Once the economy begins to revive, expect significant departures. Some groups (very few), are reasonably good - good luck finding them, though.

Cons"Ethics" are a pathetic joke, as is the leadership, but they are experts at spin-doctoring. Promotions - when rarely given - are dispensed to pets and favorites, with no correlation as to talent or capability. Very political and a who-knows-who environment - if you don't enjoy a-kissing or sucking up, STAY AWAY. Morale is non-existent - people are seriously overworked, overstressed and always looking over their shoulders for the next layoff festival to begin. If they developed and launched therapeutics with the frequency and enthusiasm that they downsized jobs, they would be a world class organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management is not interested in advice - they have all the answers and already know everything - just ask them. Very 1980s mentality - better shake it off or suffer the consequences

To say the least, this was one of the least enjoyable jobs I've had throughout my career.

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe compensation was pretty good, and the people I worked with were hardworking, ethical, and knowledgeable in their line of work.

ConsAs a temp, there was no opportunity for learning or growth outside of the specific job I was placed in. My department was severely understaffed in proportion to the workload, and employee morale was generally low. Many felt that management cared little to nothing about them. The machinery we worked with was old, outdated, and were prone to breaking down, often impeding productivity and requiring frequent calls to the maintenance department. I felt that employees were constantly kept on edge by making them reapply for thier positions annually.

Good

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
Pitts, PA

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 10 years

Proswork balance depending in the department, culture was great across the company but it depend on the department and senior leaders

ConsRe-organization, overall all departments were not treated equally

Excellent Place to work

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

ProsFlexible, Challenging, Energizing, Empowering. The business organization and pipeline is great.

ConsNone that I am aware of. May be some minor things.

Sales reps respected and compensated for their knowledge

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStrong leadership both in U.S. and in U.K., innovative and bold business strategies, generous compensation for outstanding performance

ConsHas had some bad press in recent years, turnover and morale issues due to changes in sales compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course; don't waver or be swayed by criticism

Worked for GlaxoSmithKline? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GlaxoSmithKline reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GlaxoSmithKline CEO Andrew Witty. All 382 reviews posted anonymously by GlaxoSmithKline employees.