GlaxoSmithKline

Updated December 22, 2014
3.6

GlaxoSmithKline CEO Andrew Witty
Andrew Witty

Pros
  • Good work life balance for the most part but does depend on local management (in 54 reviews)

• Work environment is good in the sense people want to strive for the best (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • like any pharma, very high pressure; tough to establish work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Senior management is completely closed off from the rest of the company and has no idea what is going on (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Professional, self motivated individuals striving for a single goal.

Current Employee - Healthcare Consultant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Healthcare Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary, good package, with opportunity to grow

Cons

slow growth, but opportunity is there, low salary increases and bonuses are non factors.

Sales culture is good, I have a great team and managers for the most part will go to bat for those on the front line, growth opportunities are there if you are able to move around.

good experience

Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline part-time (less than an year)

Pros

pretty relaxed, very flexible, above minimum wage pay. it was an overall good company to work with. people notice when you work hard.

Cons

spending a lot of time sitting down, can get pretty boring at times, people always looked out to see what you were doing.

Big Pharma Shrinking

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

The salary and benefits at GSK are very good. The people that work there have long tenures and it would be difficult to find someone who has been there less than 5 years.

Cons

Big pharma is shrinking due to patent cliffs for products and lack of investment in organic growth. There is also major outsourcing activities which all combined lead to constant layoffs.

Great name to work for, but there are some concerns.

Current Employee - HCP Data Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - HCP Data Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Most employees are assigned to work at one of GSK's gorgeous campuses in King of Prussia, PA
    -Professional mentality.
    -Staff is friendly.
    -Overtime is not really encouraged; 40 hour work week.
    -Great Industry.

Cons

-The Vice President of EFF (who is also the manager that data analysts report to daily) lives off of micromanaging and is paranoid most of the time.
    -Don't be deceived by the friendly environment because EFF can be political.
    -External parties complain about the VP in public, which makes the employee second guess the manager.
    -No Benefits.

-Need to realize that the VP's micromanaging is extremely unhealthy.
    -Should be open to more of the employee's concerns before they find a better oppurtunity with benefits.

OK company to work for

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

good work atmosphere, good people

Cons

very little availability for growth and promotion

writing was on the wall

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

quality of people, professional development

Cons

new sales incentive compensation model

fix the ness

Account Manager

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits.
    Used to be a great place to work where you were recognized and rewarded for your performance.
    Perfect job if you are not driven or motivated and you don't mind sitting home and collecting a good paycheck.

Cons

Not paid on performance.
    Majority of people are not engaged and sit at home all day complaining about paperwork and upcoming tests.
    Bonus is based on tests and assessment where everyone is graded on a curve and nobody gets any feedback on how they did or what they did wrong. If you are not willing to cheat on your tests then you will be a bottom performer no matter how much you sell or how good you are.
    Pipeline is not good and the few new products are not growing because the sales division is not paid on sales and doesn't care about sales performance.

You preached that GSK is a trendsetters and our ethics and culture would change the pharmaceutical industry....
    Three years later, we are the joke of the industry, sales are horrible and NOBODY cares. The culture the you have built went from work hard and be successful to stay home, take tests, and find a hobby to take up your time.
    Your best reps are leaving to be challenged in a "sales environment". The poor sales reps are now successful and are having a blast sitting at home doing "customer service" work and cheating on the tests.
    I can believe I am saying this because I bled GSK orange for years but now I am embarrassed to tell people who I work for.
    The BIGGEST mistake GSK made was choosing Witte over Viehbacher.

Poor leadership, micro managing nightmare

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline (more than 8 years)

Pros

Supportive environment between district and territory partners. Highly skilled representatives who you can learn a lot from.

Cons

Bad middle and upper management beating dead horses with the belief that scripted messages and tons of administrative work actually drive sales.

Leave the reps alone for 5 seconds and treat them like human beings. Disrespect breeds disrespect.

Great Company with excellent benefits!!!

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company was a great company to work for!!! Management was very willing to help, and very flexible to accommodate with work restrictions. Employment atmosphere was very pleasant, and our group felt like a work family. They also had a great vacation plan, holidays, and excellent benefits!!! One of the few companies that still offer a pension plan as well.

Cons

The only con I can think of is the potential for layoffs, but that seems to be a growing trend in the pharmaceutical industry, unfortunately.

The only advice I have to management is to never make promises about promotions at mid-year reviews and then never follow through with it at year end reviews, especially when it was in writing in the review system.

MDM Consultant

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

Great Work Environment and work life baalance

Cons

very bureaucratic with moderate pay