Glazer's

Updated December 8, 2014
2.8

Glazer's President & CEO Shelly Stein
Shelly Stein

Pros
  • Good benefits, family company but professionally run (in 8 reviews)

• Despite how hard Glazers tries to suck the fun out of it, it is a fun industry (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting into upper management is incredibly difficult (in 11 reviews)

• Work/life balance a struggle at times (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

just a job

I worked at Glazer's

Pros

good office culture nice benefits

Cons

no training, heavy work load

Descent starter job but don't plan on making a career out of it.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Glazer's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Somewhat structured, but flexible enough to manage your own time. It used to be a fun industry, hopefully it gets back to where it was 5 years ago.

Cons

Poor pay structure. The company went from commission to a "pay for performance" which as it turns out does not really pay for performance. You get paid if you are able to check off a set of 8-12 ridiculous goals. The majority of these goals are capped so that even if you do perform well, you can still only earn so much. I'm sure for the CEO it was a great decision but as far as the Sales Force is concerned it was probably the worst change ever.
    Constantly forcing new items onto customers. "Innovation" has taken all of the joy out of this job. On a monthly basis we are forced to sell new items to a predetermined account base, whether it makes since for the account or not. When the sale is refused by the customer we are told to get it done even if we have to come out of pocket.
    Almost zero opportunity for advancement.

Pay your Sales Force on what they produce. Less innovation from suppliers.

Good Place to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Glazer's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and can work from home when necessary. The company has moved onto SAP and there is a lot of changes happening. Growth by buying other companies and trying to expand into a global market. Many employees have been there a long time.

Cons

Company has moved onto SAP and there is a lot of changes happening at the company. They are changing the work offices to shorter cubicles. Everyone (no exceptions that I am aware of) gets 3 weeks of vacation after 7 years of full time employment.

Shorter cubicles allow noise and visual distractions.

No opportunity to grow

Former Employee - Off Premise Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Off Premise Sales Representative

I worked at Glazer's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun industry, made great contacts

Cons

No advancement opportunity, route always cut once you reach a certain sales goal

Take care of those who take care of the company

Great starter Job

Current Employee - Chain Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Chain Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Glazer's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Quality of life and benefits are a plus.

Cons

Losing family atmosphere that drew me here in the first place. Although benefits are good, the pay is not very competitive.

Your consultants are leading you down a bad path.

Loved working here especially pre-Glazers, when we were Olinger!

Former Employee - Administrative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Administrative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Glazer's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Insurance was the best I ever had! Pay was ok, and PTO wasnt bad other then no vacations Oct-Nov_DEC (OND) but understandable were in the liquor and wine industry.

Cons

Point system sucked! When Olinger it seemed like we were treated better and trusted to do our jobs, we certainly had more fun at work when we were Olinger Distributing, Glazers came in and it changed dramatically! More Corporate and less about your employees!

My boss's were great! I know that they just had to follow all of the corpoarte BS, butt for the most part they cared about us and did what they could to make things easier, Miss my Bosses!

Worst 2 years of my life.

Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Fayetteville, AR
    Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Fayetteville, AR

I worked at Glazer's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ok benefits. Despite how hard Glazers tries to suck the fun out of it, it is a fun industry. Just be prepared to see the competitors have more fun.

Cons

No work life balance. They underpay but act like they're giving you the world. Glazers doesn't care about your family. Mgmt actually encourages you to prepare yourself for divorce because it's inevitable. 60 hour work week minimum. They are completely not in your corner when it comes to employee rights. You will be encouraged to ruin co-workers if it means there is a greater good for the company. There's a reason why it's rated lower than Wal-Mart.

Go jump off a bridge and start over.

Not bad, not great either

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Glazer's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to run your territory. Solid compensation.

Cons

Pay structure has changed so commissions are capped. Management has started to micromanage. The suppliers are now running the company and demanding unreal quotas.

Glazers is horrible!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Glazer's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to make your own schedule as long as you hit all your accounts

Cons

Company switched to Pay for Performance pay structure instead of 100% commission. I lost about 17k in pay.

Care more about your sales reps instead of trying to pocket money!

Paramount sales. Run away!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Glazer's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you work for the right division you get trips, samples, parties etc

Benefits are very good

Cons

You used to have freedom to make a schedule now they nag and follow you.

There are tracking reports, for one goal I had to do 5 reports to 4 people. This goes along with 5 different weekly reviews

Mgmt can make up any rule or goal despite what corporate mandates

Mgmt spends more time sitting in the office complaining about sales and blaming us for everything.

Employees are treated like minions can't get samples (even when asked for your own wedding) no discounts or benefits for working for alcohol company.

Mgmt talks down to you and questions everything. Selling a 100 case display you'll get asked and degraded for it not being 125 cases

Salary is a joke. Wben commision wrnt away so did the positive additudes You only get paid for certain goals but still must sell products that have no goals or benefit to you only to have the same goals next month after you pounder every case you could.

Computer system that they spent millions on is horrible, crashes and messes up deliveries.

You have a direct mgr, one above them and then one more layer, and there is supposed to be chain of command but you'll get calls all day from all of them about silly useless stuff like paperwork and tracking forms. Instead of all those layers communicating with each other they are on top of sales all day instead of letting us sell!

Paramount division has entirely too many products. They all think they are no. 1 and are all competing with each other. There is no way to prioritize based on your accts it's a blanket for entire company and that's ridiculous. Each market is different and should be treated as such. Sales used to be allowed to control it's own territory and make decisions based on what they know is best. Esp since we are the ones in there day in and day out.

No vacation from Oct 1 to Jan 5

Expected to work 6-7 days a week. You get hassled all weekend by Mgmt who is sitting at home.

Made to work during hurricanes when people are being evacuated.

Fire them all.

Let sales do its job

Actually leave the office to help instead of question every move sales makes

Dump SAP it's horrible. It takes 20 clicks on the computer to look up something. Sales doesn't have time for that. We aren't at a desk!

Spend time realizing the market is changing
    Admit products are dying instead of making unreachable goals

Change up pfp goals each month so sales can actually get paid. Having same product every month with a goal of 400 cases is unrealistic

Try and be positive from time to time. Sales in this economy is hard. And people like to feel appreciated from time to time. Not continuously told how lazy we are or that we aren't good sellers.

Quit put to good every single new product under paramount division. You can only sell so many whipped cream vodkas that are your own competition.