Gleason

Updated Nov 21, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

John J. Perrotti

Hiring manager wanted to hire this contract engineer, but got turned down.

Quality Engineer (Former Employee)
Rochester, NY

I worked at Gleason as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGlobal sales, well known in their industry (machine tools) a leader in their specialty (gear-cutting machines), a reputation for quality and precision, dedicated talented workforce, a great sense of pride in their product and their reputation, manufacturing floor is king, lots of attention on customer delivery schedule

ConsMachine tools business is cyclical with the manufacturing industry and vulnerable to economic downturns, the company recently experimented with Lean and Six Sigma and other initiatives but results were spotty, top management shakeup in 2012

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what your strategy is, communicate to your employees, stick to your plan

Generally satisfactory but could not learn much and lack of ambition throughout.

Project Manager/Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gleason full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are good and helpful. Lack of organization helps you to work independently and teach yourself.

ConsLack of organization with many plans but very poor execution. No general focus on where the company is headed in future. No long term plans. Micromanagement on daily operation which has caused no attention to inefficiency in processes. Generally, people do not know how to use newer technology to improve internal and external operations and also a lack of ambition in doing so. Very poor resource planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to focus on internal issues and resolve them with results instead of validating everything and questioning everything. Only then profitability will increased. Define and train employees in customer relations. Make sure internal processes are flawless integrating newer technologies in Manufacturing, Industrial Science and IT. Focus on how to expand the business and capability rather than micromanaging actions of every employee. This simply adds waste in time for both.

To bad management does not care.

Bevel Cell Operator (Former Employee)
Rockford, IL

I worked at Gleason full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOnly Pros is you do start out at a decent wage, and you get a bonus for working nights, weekend days, and weekend nights. And they do have decent benefits for health care and 401k. That's it.

ConsOK so here are the cons. Max raise is 3%. Most of the time you will be lucky to get that 3%. Management there is to micro manage and to screw over anyone no matter if you are working hard or not. Night shift is terrible. At the time I was there, we had three night supervisors that literally kept walking around and kept looking to get someone in trouble. Apparently the rule there for night supervisors is if you do not get someone in trouble you are not doing your job.

Back to the raise part. No one cares how hard you work because there will always be something you did wrong or did not accomplish. Whatever that one item you did not accomplish will be held against you during your raise.

I was told by my department manager that 3% is max. So what that means is if some employees that were favored because some how they sucked up to management got more then 3% then someone will get under 3% to keep the balance for the department. These are my ex-manager's words not mine. This is unacceptable.

Also do not try going to someone higher up then your departments manager if you are not satisfied with your review, even though they tell you that you can, it will cause bad blood between you and your department manager which means you will get probably a worse review the next time around.

Night shift supervisor's are there to make you think you are worthless. At the time I was there, we had a night supervisor that actually told an employee that he was worthless and then the employee quit because he did not want to deal with that anymore. Also this same night supervisor had multiple complaints to HR about him but he was still kept around as a night supervisor, so that shows you how much they care about employees compared to any kind of supervisor/manager position.

The way the employees are treated trumps anything that you can have that is a positive from it.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually show some appreciation to your employees. And when they are actually busting there butt off give them a good raise at the end. If you think 3% is enough you are insane. If you are under the impression that .42 cent raise (assuming the manager gave that 3%) is enough then you are sadly mistaken.

And please listen to your employees. If there is a complaint about how night shift is being treated by multiple people, do not ignore it actually go and see what is going on. Do some investigation or you will keep losing good hard working employees and continue to have to hire in new people and have to train them and worry about the amounts of scrap they will create during the first 6 months of employment.

A Fulfilling learning experience

I have been working at Gleason full-time for more than a year

ProsThe leader in Quality and Manufacturing of CNC Machines.
Relatively small company
Very Veteran Friendly
Good Pay and Benefits
Company has a global reach

ConsBusiness is very cyclical.
There's always an uncertainty as to what tomorrow holds
Here today. Laid off tomorrow.
Things are constantly changing on the fly

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people they are your best critics

Bad Management and non challenging work

Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee)
Rochester, NY

I worked at Gleason full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay. People are nice but grumpy. Management is clueless so you can take easy advantage of that. Perfect place if you want a non challenging job and mediocre pay.

ConsToo many old guys without college degrees who think they know it all. They are stingy with raises so get a good starting salary. Watch out for the grumpy old men.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey place feels like a dungeon. Please change work atmosphere. Fire the deadwood quicker.

Gleason is behind times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Gleason

ProsGleason is the leader in the bevel gear world, the tier one supplier of manufacturing, design and metrology systems for bevel gears. As an employee you get exposure to customers worldwide and first hand knowledge of the latest in gear manufacturing as well as gear research.

ConsGleason administration and management can be a little slow in picking up trends and new developments in the industry. As an employee, expect to be treated with respect but also with long working hours and few rewards for good work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee recognition needs to be improved.

Good experience with some great technology.

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Gleason full-time for more than 5 years

ProsComfortable work load. Great experience with some good engineers. Timely support form mother plants.

ConsAlways traveling. Some time delay in service communications.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more exposure with new technology. More opportunity to learn. Needs Engineers forum to discuss different problems on site.

Worked for Gleason? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gleason reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gleason CEO John J. Perrotti. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Gleason employees.