Glenn O. Hawbaker

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014
2.3

Dan Hawbaker

Owners don't know how employees are treated and no family time

Current Employee - Service Truck Driver in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Service Truck Driver in State College, PA

I have been working at Glenn O. Hawbaker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is ok but could be more hourly,a lot of nice co workers.get to meet new friends

Cons

No family time.owners don't come out to talk to employees anymore.Ned more hourly pay.benefits are going down hill.superintendents only tell Dan,Patrick,michael somethings but employees arevtold if you don't like it move on.

Start talking to employees in field more.we are losing our little family time that we have,it's like you are money hungry anymore.you are losing a lot of good employees.my foreman shouldn't even be representing Glen O.Hawbaker. Not giving customers what they pay for.

10 plus Years service and no respect from supervisors.

Current Employee - Shop in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Shop in State College, PA

I have been working at Glenn O. Hawbaker full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Use to be insurance, and getting raises and not capped.

Cons

Putting up with my superiors who let alot of good guys go down the road.

Change your management, get a grip on the shops, talk to your employees that have been with the company for more insight, your supervisors are inadaquate.

Very surprised! Not the company I grew up admiring!

Current Employee - Mechanic in Pleasant Gap, PA
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Pleasant Gap, PA

I have been working at Glenn O. Hawbaker full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are really good. Have met a lot of nice people willing to give you a hand if needed.

Cons

Foreman's need to have evaluations done! Pay could be better with all the tools you need. Only get to see my children two days week. Everything I was promised never happened.

Need to get someone out to see what's going on.

I love the people I work with

Current Employee - Bridge Carpenter/Laborer in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Bridge Carpenter/Laborer in State College, PA

I have been working at Glenn O. Hawbaker

Pros

I love the paycheck and the people I work with .. I love working outside.. I enjoy my job ..

Cons

Jack hammering really isnt my favorite thing actually it sucks... and sometimes the heat is unbarable. but you got to take the bad with the good.

Just to inform us where all our fringes go. I dont believe they all go for our health benifits. cause we still have to pay 45 a week for family. I just dont get it . I have looked up and researched it.

The company is all about family, their family.

Current Employee - Paving in Pleasant Gap, PA
    Current Employee - Paving in Pleasant Gap, PA

I have been working at Glenn O. Hawbaker

Pros

Benefits are good but someout of pocket expense. Pay is ok could be better. They have some very good crew leaders, top notch people in lower management. Senoir management is top notch very bright people at the highest level meaning Mr. Hawbaker and his boys. Future should be bright with them leading the way.

Cons

The upper middle management (superintendants) we have some less than desireable people. They dont care at all about the workers, their familys or their lives. Promotion is based on who your related to, not your qualifications or work experience. Not all of them are this way, but some are. If something goes wrong someone has to hang for it instead of trying to find a common sense approach to the problem. Not sure the Hawbakers even know how some of these people treat the common workers. Very large corporation somewhat over managed. These people have no problem sending you out of town for a week and then telling you that you have to work the weekend as well. Who cares that you have a wife and small kids at home be here or you fired. Work first family second. Not sure Mr Hawbaker even knows the extent of the threats they hand out. I dont know Dan very well but he seems to be a fair person when you see him at training classes.

We are a very large company with a lot of employees. Realize that sometimes you want to make one of your kids little league games, or pre school graduation, or pee wee football games. We have many people who can do all of the required jobs on their crew well. Have some people to rotate to different crews when someone needs off.

Boss's say you'll be taken care in the long run. An thats all their doing is saying,

Current Employee - Anything They Want You to Do
    Current Employee - Anything They Want You to Do

I have been working at Glenn O. Hawbaker

Pros

Every where ive been it's good people mostly all around to work with (there are exceptions).

Cons

Starting out is good the first year but dont expect much after that. The company seems to have over extended itself in this unstable economy. They have no problem spending on new plants and expanding while they try and chase the frackers all over pa. Seems they dont wanna give raises because then everyone wants a raise. Some workers dont need them and some do for what they've done to postion themselves in the company, for the company.

They say there a family orented, and this is true if they mean your new family will be your co-workers. When it comes to summer they own you mon-saturday an sunday if they please. They just put a cap on the over time. An will expect you, im sure to do the same work mon-saturday in the same time.

I was wondering when we will be required to get into hamster balls to go out side. The saftey brain washing this year is retarded. Even the meetings at PG for certain things get hi-jacked with saftey jaberish. Also just because you make us sign for saftey tool box forms dont mean your back is covered if slip up.

It really is who you know

I have been working at Glenn O. Hawbaker

Pros

My pay is ok, but I know a lot of people that are overpaid, and a lot that are underpaid. I often think they pull a random number out of a hat to dermine starting salary. One person with no experience at all makes more money that someone with 5 years experience and all certifications required for his job. The people I work with are the best part of my job. I spend more time with them than with my family. I have never been in an environment like that and I have to say it is the only reason I have stayed this long.

Cons

Opportunity for a promotion recently came up. Me and 3 co-workers all applied for it, and we were all qualified for it. The company chose to hire someone rather than promote from within because the hiring manager had a friend that needed a job. That is the fourth time I have seen that happen in my department alone. They praise climbing the ladder and moving on and helping you on the way up, but they always seem to keep a boot on your face as you try to climb the ladder. Maybe they are afraid of being showed up?

The company is being driven into the ground. Not financially. You are slowly losing the good employees because you only cater to the ones you should be getting rid of. Get out and talk to people. When you ask them how things are and they reply with "good". Ask them again. They are only telling you what you want to hear because they have learned that from their leaders. Look at the pay rate of your lower workers and leaders. A 2% raise doesn't do squat for someone making $12/hour. Do you honestly expect us to think it is a good raise? The guy who is lazy and gets by doing the minimum gets the same raise as the guy who goes above and beyond time after time. Where is the motivation to do better? My supervisors have promised me a total of $3.20 in raises in the past 3 years. I haven't seen a dime of it. Start promoting from within. If someone is qualified for the job, why not give them a shot at it? Toxic leadership is taking over. You can either do something about it or you can pretend it doesn't exist. Where have all the leaders gone?

I honestly believe Dan and other members of ownership have no clue about what really happens. They only hear what they are told at meetings. Maybe the company should hire some sort of employee rep to go around and get this type of info and get the bad eggs out.

LOVE my job. But dislike the disrespect for "minority" and also dislike the Base Pay amt.

I have been working at Glenn O. Hawbaker

Pros

I have made some great friends... Feel I get along great with the people i work with.

Cons

Pay rate, Reguardless of what they might say "minority" are treated differently.

Bring up your base rate... if you expect a single mom to be away from her children weeks at a time.. she cannot make it at 10 dollars an hour when she's paying up to $130 a week for gas, $200 a week for a sitter. Dont forget all the other living expenses at home and vehicle upkeep. #2 if you are going to offer the "minority" an opportunity to get paving/operator training.. you shud pay them to be there.. The other 30/35 men present are getting paid to be there.. why are the 5 women not... we drove just as far.. we put just as much time in as they did that day.. the only difference is is that we loose a days pay that we need for that 50 dollar babysitter we had to pay for that day...and that 80 dollar gas tank bill. Dont see how you could possibly think thats fair...

they have become a very non family oriented work place

I have been working at Glenn O. Hawbaker

Pros

it is a fun job to do. alot of the trucks are newer and comfortable to drive. most of the paving crews are very easy to work with on site.

Cons

they want to monopolize all your time. you have no home life and you are no longer treated like family. you are given time with YOUR family when they feel like giving you some. it has become a company that seems to now live by " make me as much money as YOU can at whatever cost" translated we are keeping you from home. they get their weekends off with family but they own you. and now they keep scheduling work on sundays keeping us from our faith and duties serving GOD.

give us some time at home with our wife and kids. they only live at home for a short while and they are gone. the growing years are the most important and we are missing out. we are making all the sacrifices and the much needed projects around the house are not getting done and all the company has to do is sit back and count the money.

not a family friendly employer any longer

I have been working at Glenn O. Hawbaker

Pros

if you truly need a job and qualify to the min. requirements they will give you a job. insurance package is pretty ok for your family, not that expensive YET.

Cons

no free time. you work tons of overtime in the summer and get no time to spend with family or get any of the many household chores that need done. they send you home early (1PM) on fridays and then want you to work saturday and some times sundays too

give the employees time with their families. you monopolize all the time in the summer and no time with wife and kids. i get my kids every other weekend and end up working every saturday leaving me with a couple of hours every other week with my kids. give us some free time in the summer.......