Glidewell Laboratories

Updated December 30, 2014
Updated December 30, 2014
4.0

Jim Glidewell

Wonderful company that cares about employees

I have been working at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees are really taken care of here. There is an on-site gym with fitness classes, a wellness center with doctors and nurses, very cheap/delicious cafeteria, fun events that give everyone something to look forward to (BBQs, Knotts Berry Farm summer picnic, holiday parties, etc.), and a really great company culture. For the most part (there are always those few...), Glidewell employees are friendly and easy to get along with. You also never really feel 'stuck' in your position - the company promotes from within and there is a fairly simple transfer policy if you want to try a new position/department.

Cons

Not a lot of PTO/paid holidays

Room for Growth

Current Employee - Junior Scrum Master in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Scrum Master in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love that this company is vertically integrated! I started the company as an HR Administrative Assistant. Since then, was given the opportunity to learn payroll, operations, and now I'll be learning how to use data analytic tools. The learning is endless, as long as you work hard. All the managers I've had have been supportive and never stifled my learning.

The company is driven and innovative and most of all, unlike a lot of company, the executives are really humble and take the time to get to know you. Although this company is pretty big, you really become part of the Glidewell family.

Cons

Parking is a bit far for the newer employees, but they are working on it.

Great place for entry-level employees to move up with hard work

I have been working at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits- subsidized cafeteria, on-site health clinic with masseuse and acupuncturist, gym that offers daily classes, flexible hours for some job positions, paid educational/leadership training

Flexible career movement- human resources makes a good effort to transfer employees within the company to different positions/departments if they are unhappy with their position

Cons

Low pay, minimal PTO, difficult to advance into higher level positions without seniority

Recognize and reward employees based on skill and work ethic, rather than cronyism

Great Company, Great Environment and Great People

Current Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This Company takes pride in taking care of their employees. They create events throughout the year for us to partake in. The people working here are always happy and that is very unusual for such a large Company.

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say.

Allow for more personal growth by sending employees to seminars in a particular area of growth needed or to help them do their job more efficiently.

Great company! Been here 9 years and counting!

I have been working at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Glidewell treats their employees like family. They are always planning company picnics, holiday parties, bbq's for employees. Considerate of work-life balance and needing time off for kids or family emergencies. Always promote within first before looking to the outside to hire. We have our own Glidwell health center with a medical doctor, nurses, acupuncturist and massage therapist. We also have an onsite gym, meditation room, cafeteria and game rooms. Medical benefits are extremely cheap and affordable.

Cons

The holiday and vacation time could be better. We only get two weeks of paid vacation time off. Seniority with vacation does not apply. The Glidewell University LEAD program is not open to everyone only managers and supervisors. Should consider program for others wanting to grow.

The Human Resources Department is so helpful. They always go out of their way to help employees

Great Company, Great People

Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are really looked after. Company encourages promotion from within. Employees can seek out opportunities in other parts of the organization. Because the company is vertically integrated it means there are a wealth of opportunities available. Developed an extensive management and leadership training program to assist those making the leap to management.

Cons

Benefits could be much better.Need better long term strategic planning.

Management should be son the same page when determining direction and company goals.

Great Company to work for.

Former Employee - Customer Service in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great corporate culture that is family centered. Good pay, great support from management, and lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

Gossip is very regular hear. I always did my job and stayed away from stuff like that so I wasn't affected by it very much but it would probably be biggest con here. other than that its great.

There are some people in management that should be fired and not protected. Like the manager that only hires attractive women.

Promotes fear of management and obedience over intelligence and creativity

I have been working at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Glidewell makes products that are generally of good quality and that benefit humankind.

Cons

Bosses frequently reward obedience over intelligence and creativity -- even when intelligence and creativity will *definitely* lead to higher profits and benefits to the company. (Case in point: Though I am very embarrassed to submit this review anonymously, if I were to use my name or job title I worry that I would lose my job. My boss or his/her boss would figure out some way to get rid of me, even if it were for something trivial. This is not hypothetical; I have seen this happen.)

In another part of this review I gave Jim Glidewell a "disapprove" rating, and my "cons" require an explanation: It is only within the climate created under his leadership that poor managers are hired and retained, with no apparent interest in fostering a culture of creativity or genuine employee loyalty (i.e., not fear-based "loyalty"). Glidewell's culture is a "yes-man" culture -- that is, a culture in which management is uninterested in hearing new or differing views. If you speak your honest opinions, and if those opinions are different from those of your boss (even if those opinions are based on facts *and* would financially benefit the company), your boss may very well find some way to fire you or make your life so miserable that you will quit.

(1) Listen to employees (including what you read here), but work to ensure that they will not be punished for telling you the truth, (2) Take courses in leadership, (3) Use 360-degree performance evaluation, (3) Add the following new lines to managers' performance evaluation forms: (a) Extent to which you have rewarded creativity in your subordinates, (b) Extent to which your subordinates value your opinion, (c) Extent to which subordinates fear you, (d) Extent to which you gave public credit to subordinates for their excellent work, and (e) How much time did you spend on *developing* your subordinates?

Underpaid, Benefits are substandard and the HR department has a high turnover rate.

Current Employee - Marketing in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work is easy and boring. Anyone can do it. Only will recommend this for a first job out of college or it may be a good job if you didn't go to college and don't plan on doing so.

Cons

If you are a working mom or have a family - this job is not for you. There is very little if any work/life balance. Minimum paid holidays, you'll end up using the 2 weeks you have to take off the days your child has off from school. You don't even get Christmas Eve off as a paid holiday. Even if you worked for the company 20 years and are a manager you still only get 2 weeks off. Absolutely no career advancement for anyone other than lab technicians. Unless you plan on waiting 20 years to get a promotion...

Listen to employees who have a need to change or alter shift times, and don't worry so much about production. Your employees will be happier, instead of feeling like a production robot.

not sure

I have been working at Glidewell Laboratories full-time

Pros

work load is not so bad def. doable

Cons

pay is really low to start and end

none