Glidewell Laboratories

Jim Glidewell

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have only worked at Glidewell Laboratories for a year now and so far my experience has been positive. I feel I have learned a lot since I have joined Glidewell's company and look forward to many more years of growth. The company has many positives including great managerial staff who want you to succeed and grow. There is even a training program offered to managers, to help improve their leadership and managerial skills. Benefits include a gym, doctors office, restaurant, masseuse, break rooms and insurance!

Cons

At the moment I currently don't have any major cons to complain about.

Keep up your hard work!

Time well-spent.

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Irvine, CA

I worked at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Vertically integrated and innovative.
    -About 95% of all that goes on in Glidewell occurs in-house, providing valuable information for employees to learn as well as have direct access to different departments.
    -The employees are all about customer service when it comes to inter-department interaction.
    -Worked with some amazing colleagues and management.
    -Mr. Jim Glidewell genuinely cares for his employees. The executive management team is very accessible.
    -Hired some of the best in the business when it comes to Dental R&D (Material Science, Dentists, Implant Manufacturing) and Engineering (IT, Automation, Product Development).
    -Health & Wellness program is excellent. (On-site health clinic, acupuncturist, gym, masseuse, engaging company events.)

Cons

-Their benefits can be more competitive.
    -If a person doesn't know how to adapt to a fast-paced work environment, this would not be a good place for them to work.
    -Their referral bonus program can use improvement.

Disappointing. Profitable shell waiting to collapse.

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (less than an year)

Pros

On-site facilities including great break areas, gym, Dr's office, and renovated restrooms.
    A lot of room for upward mobility.

Cons

Many people can reach supervisor positions without management experience or education. Lower management is so focused on quotas that quality control is shockingly lacking.

Middle management is under enormous pressure to finalize huge projects so fast that they have no time to manage the lower levels. As a worker, it's hit or miss how you will be treated because there's accountability from lower management to middle.

Upper management is still caught up in founder worship (I'm talking 5 foot portraits of him everywhere). Years of growth at the expense of quality has instilled a profound fear of change or any ability to acknowledge advances in business administration in the past 30 years.

Retire or change. If the FDA ever cracks down on the dental industry, you're going to be shut down while your higher quality competitors succeed. Being the "McDonalds" of dental manufacturing is not a good thing.

Top-notch Employer Experiencing Exponential Growth

Current Employee - Management in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Salary, Subsidized Cafeteria, Onsite Health Care which include a clinic with an MD, PA, Accupuncture and Massage Therapy, and Gym, Caring Owner Mr. Jim Glidewell,

Cons

Company has grown too quickly. Mom and pop shop mentality persists. Many inexperienced staff thrust into management positions sans adequate management training. Legacy staff with sense of entitlement.

Hire management consultants/advisors and begin a management training program.

I learned alot but the job is all about meeting quotas but the final product and final QC needs work.

Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The customer service is great

Cons

The technical advisors have to lie to the dentists about everything including the final outcome of the case. The QC is terrible.

Treat people and staff like individuals and not like they are a cad cam machine.

It had its ups and downs, but for the most part pretty good experience working there

I worked at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, plenty of employee appreciation opportunities, paid training, diversity amongst employees

Cons

-If you are accepted as dental tech trainee Education department, you may get"tossed" from department to department meaning you will learn one thing for couple weeks and then be set up for an interview only to find out that position is already taken or no longer needed.
    -At times, during "slow season" not enough work/hours may be available.
    -Depending on department, there are constant changes you have to keep up with.
    -Strict meal violation policy
    -No part time positions
    -A bit sexist as management likes to allocate certain jobs to certain genders

Connect more with employees, as previous poster said, often times some of the managers/QCs (not all) feel as if they are "better than the rest of us" and therefore seem "distant" and hard to communicate with.

Diverse environment ideal for those who just want to skate by...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is best suited for those who are just out of school. It offers good benefits, plentiful employee appreciation days, and a company-wide Christmas bonus (based on the number of years worked at the company). Yearly reviews offer generous opportunity for pay increase if you perform above manager expectations.

Cons

Most employees must punch a time clock that is closely monitored. Only managers do not. Certain departments are glorified - be warned! Many long-time employees (most who are now managers) feel entitled to act however they wish -- and they get away with it. Only two weeks paid vacation and very few holidays paid off. Managers are all men, for the most part, so it's a boy club of sorts. If you are an ambitious woman, you won't be able to advance your career with this company.

Recognize the talent among your employees.

Glidewell Dental Labs

Former Employee - Plaster Q C and Implant Triage in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Plaster Q C and Implant Triage in Irvine, CA

I worked at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of work and a great facilities, game room, computer room, restaurant, etc.

Cons

The piece work pays low compared to some smaller labs.

Glidewell Laboratories was a waste of my skills. This sound bad but I can only speak the TRUTH!

Former Employee - CAD Designer in McArthur, CA
    Former Employee - CAD Designer in McArthur, CA

I worked at Glidewell Laboratories

Pros

Glidewell had a lot of information meterial, design, waxing and able to grow.

Cons

take it and apply it for another company that better acknowledges you and understand what your SKILLS are WORTH!

I think the Management should re consider looking somewere els were they are worth more!

Glidewell laboratory-

Former Employee - Supervisor I in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor I in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Glidewell Laboratories

Pros

Paid training--minimum wage
    Benefits
    Some managers are capable and ethical

Cons

No career advancement
    Very low pay
    Management not eager to protect employees

n/a