Glimcher Realty

www.glimcher.com

Glimcher Realty Reviews

Updated May 8, 2014
Glimcher Realty – US – “Scottsdale Quarter”

Michael P. Glimcher

No money to be made

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsA somewhat set schedule, nice office staff, employees are sociable, you feel very welcomed when you start, online timekeeping, paid time off offered upon employment.

ConsThe pay is very low compared to the expectations set for employees. Employees show up or leave for their shift when it is convenient for them with no discipline. Management is too busy trying to remind everyone of their title that they are oblivious to the problems there. Employee morale is crazy low if you're not part of the admin staff. Turnover is rediculous. I know an employee who has been there for 4 years and has only had a $.20 bump in pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher pay = better employees. Talk to employees, don't yell. Invest in keeping employees not replacing them

The worst experience of my professional career.

(Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsWork - life balance / generous vacations.

ConsBullying and unprofessional behavior by Management and Colleagues. Managers foster an environment of clicks within department and lack of teamwork.

Their touted "culture" is a joke. "Collaborative" and "open" are words that sound good but the reality is miserably off base.

HR is corrupt. In order to be valuable HR needs to do more than consistently and mindlessly support the higher level employee on any issue. Associates should be able to go to HR with valid concerns. If I had the energy and money and didn’t already have a new job, I would be contacting a labor law attorney.

Managers do not have level of knowledge and skill which should be required for their positions. When bad decisions cause problems, lower level employees get blamed. Management is removed from the competence and level of skill required to produce deliverables relative to our department and industry. Manager will not listen to input – has their own “agenda”.

I have put 110% into this job with no sense of accomplishment, appreciation, or professional growth in return. Internal roadblocks to efforts for improvement on both the corporate and property level. Manager demands respect but does not offer the same in return to members of team. Manager’s concern is “what can you do for me”? Not “what can you do for this company”?

I very much support and believe in the purpose of this company and the work that they do. When I leave here I will not be leaving the company I will be leaving because of the lack of positive role models in senior leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeak managers continue to stay in their position. Senior management does not like confrontation so will continue to choose to ignore issues instead of addressing.

Horrible place to work

Security Officer (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGet to interact with people, get experience in retail security

ConsMall and corporate management does not care about the security staff

Security staff is always the scapegoat for everything (spills not cleaned up, lights out, compactors not working, etc)

Mall does not properly train officers

Hires anyone with a heartbeat

Low salaries despite us doing a study showing how the other malls paid more (HR dismissed the study)

Their "anonymous" harassment line doesnt work as HR came back and blamed security

Uniforms are old and dirty/stained. Hat's are messed up. Not very professional

Vehicles are horrible and "rolling billboards" with sponsorship on the sides.

Promotions mostly based on the "buddy" system

Advice to Senior ManagementStart taking the customers as well as the employees safety more seriously. Train the officers better. Raise the wages. Stop cheaping out on security/safety. Treat your staff better. Got to love how non of the corporate managers have experience as Security Officers, yet dictate policy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

Prosprofitable business. as a REIT, they have figured out how to build, lease and manage shopping centers.

Consculture is a joke........only a certain age and sex are tolerated. if one is not of a certain youthful age and is not of a certain sex, there is no future at this company. what they say publically and what they do privately are greatly at odds.

Dead-end job. Management always seems to hire and promote the wrong kind of people (i.e. racist, hostile, etc.).

ProsOkay pay considering the nature of the work, however, be prepared to deal with a lot of jerks, which is the nature of the work, but also coworkers tend to be very abusive and insensitive. Tremendous amount of favoritism in terms of promotion and scheduling.

ConsSee above. Should be enough information.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet your personal differences aside and be as objective as possible in assessing and promoting key talent. Also, upper management tends to be a bit bi-polar. Take care of that before it hits the fan!

Cash Processor (Corp Office)

Cash Processor (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGood benefits. Hire in salary is decent.

ConsSalary is good when you first start and then when it is time for raises they are very low even with a great review. Management is to concerned about college degrees when you try for a promotion. They fail to see the many years you have been with them and how strong your background is with the company. Some of the management fails to take care of the problem employees because they have been threatened with law suits. Management staf is to young and immature to hold their positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up! Act your age!! Look at what your employees have to offer before seeking outside the company. Review with your staff and/or team to see what is needed or what their concerns maybe. Have a development plan and a better training program. The HR staff needs restructured. They are snooty and worried more about themselves than their employees.

Management does not appreciate and respect employees.

Tenant Coordinator (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsInteresting work (shopping mall development), nice coworkers, some management support relating to work and employment looks good on the resume.

ConsSalary is below average, offer stock options with no intent of honoring them. GRT is quick to lay off employees without any warnings. Senior management does not believe in win-win senarios (every dollar they give you is a dollar coming out of their pockets).

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you say, say what you mean: I lost 30k in stock options because our team was laid off for company's financial problems (not performance) and a "temination" clause in my options cancelled my stock options. Why offer them if you have no intent of honoring them? It could have helped my kids' college tuition. I recommend anybody thinking about employment to get everything in writing and have your attorney review all the weasel clauses. If they are unwilling to accept your terms, don't take the job.

Unprofessional!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsWilling to be as flexible as they can with Employees schedules
    Good Benefits

ConsManagement Team very unprofessional
    They speak down to other Employees
    Don't keep track of what you tell them re; Days requested off
    Keep Employees out of the Loop w/changes that should be communicated
    Management Leader's bad temper led to screaming/temper tantrums in front of Customers! Very unnecessary! Unprofessional!

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all Employees equally.
    Stop talking down to your staff.
    Keep staff informed of changes.
    If you are upset about something, handle it privately! Don't throw a tantrum in front of customers/employees!
    Just because you are in Management, don't have a bad attitude towards those below you.
    Instead of writing notes and just laying them on a desk for all employees, maybe communicate with them weekly or bi-weekly if something needs improved. Letter's can come across as rude.
    When one person does something wrong, don't blame it on all the employees! Talk to the person who messed up.

Not professional

Security (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsThey will work with you schedule wise
    Meet new people

ConsMall and corporate management does not want to hear ways to make environment safer
    Hires high school kids sometimes and can be unprofessional
    Low pay in comparison to other area malls
    Does not want to spend any money on Security/Safety

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to listen to the Security staff regarding issues
    Need to invest in Security

You can get better experience elsewhere, and the senior leadership will be stronger.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsCompetitive benefits package, including vacation
    Schedule autonomy
    Work/life balance
    No rules against dating superiors
    Free popcorn
    High floors in building mean great views

ConsSalary is not competitive
    Senior management team is not strong
    Most employee workstations are essentially a glorified call center
    Company won't spend money to properly maintain assets, but has no problem dropping 120 large on senior management retreats.
    Nepotism.
    Senior management does not care about their employees.
    Half empty office due to round after round of layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the dead weight at this company is at the top. There are layers of bureaucracy to navigate and since the majority of this bureaucracy is made of castoffs from stronger firms, and people are terrified to make waves in a shaky economy, decisions aren't made in a timely, effective, or efficient manner. The board of directors would be well advised to replace the top three people in any department and start over.

Worked for Glimcher Realty? Contribute to the Community!